New World Record - 413 geocache finds in ONE day

ventura_kids

Here is the "story"

Elmbaek and I had decided to spend some time caching and wanted to do some of the new powertrail published some days before about 40 km. from where we live.

After about 7½ hours we had finished the whole trail, and thought it would be fun to see if we could increase our daily record (315 caches). And we knew there was another powertrail in Sweden. :laughing:

Only problem was that none of us had the caches in the GPS, and we hadn't brought the computer with us ;)

Going home to fill the GPS'es would be driving in the wrong direction, so we went to a geocaching-friend who lived nearby and he let us use his computer go create a new PQ and load it into our GPS. (Thanks Kaskelot)

After that we went to Sweden (by ferry).

We went to eat and buy some water and energy-bars, that we suspected we would need. :blink:

Finally we started the powertrail in Sweden.

Upon completion we decided to drive back home (about 2 hours drive), because Elmbaek had to work and i had an appointment with some other geocaching-friends about doing some nightcaches the following night. (It was a great nightcaching-trip, even if i only got 3 hours of sleep)

That's the reason for not using full 24 hours

As this 480 caches trip wasn't planned we hadn't the right clothing (no waterproof shoes, which was a problem with the snow in Sweden), nor did we bring any food nor computer/internet.

We signed each logbook with Picht and Elmbaek, and we were only at one cache a the time. Since both powertrails have good hints on almost each cache it was pretty easy to find most of the caches.

The person next to the cache got out of the car and if the cache wasn't found in about 20 seconds the other got out to help searching. If the hiding spot wasn't obvious, both got out from the start.

I have now had time to look at the GPS readings and here are some facts.

Time spent caching (total): 16 hours

Powertrail DK: 7½ hours

Powertrail SE: 8½ hour

Transport: 2½ hours

"Wasted" time (getting extra cache information, eating, waiting at the ferry): 1½ hours

So, this is the story of how a normal caching day evolved to a new record, without any planning. :laughing:

I must admit that making the 315 record was more "real caching" than this powertrail-caching, and i don't think this record will stand for long, since the potential is big if you have some powertrails and do a little planning.

Regards

Picht

Here is the "story"

Elmbaek and I had decided to spend some time caching and wanted to do some of the new powertrail published some days before about 40 km. from where we live.

After about 7½ hours we had finished the whole trail, and thought it would be fun to see if we could increase our daily record (315 caches). And we knew there was another powertrail in Sweden. :laughing:

Only problem was that none of us had the caches in the GPS, and we hadn't brought the computer with us ;)

Going home to fill the GPS'es would be driving in the wrong direction, so we went to a geocaching-friend who lived nearby and he let us use his computer go create a new PQ and load it into our GPS. (Thanks Kaskelot)

We went to eat and buy some water and energy-bars, that we suspected we would need. :laughing:

Upon completion we decided to drive back home (about 2 hours drive), because Elmbaek had to work and i had an appointment with some other geocaching-friends about doing some nightcaches the following night. (It was a great nightcaching-trip, even if i only got 3 hours of sleep)

As this 480 caches trip wasn't planned we hadn't the right clothing (no waterproof shoes, which was a problem with the snow in Sweden), nor did we bring any food nor computer/internet.

We signed each logbook with Picht and Elmbaek, and we were only at one cache a the time. Since both powertrails have good hints on almost each cache it was pretty easy to find most of the caches.

The person next to the cache got out of the car and if the cache wasn't found in about 20 seconds the other got out to help searching. If the hiding spot wasn't obvious, both got out from the start.

"Wasted" time (getting extra cache information, eating, waiting at the ferry): 1½ hours

So, this is the story of how a normal caching day evolved to a new record, without any planning. :laughing:

I must admit that making the 315 record was more "real caching" than this powertrail-caching, and i don't think this record will stand for long, since the potential is big if you have some powertrails and do a little planning.

Regards

Picht

Congratulations on the record,

I wonder what VK and EMC and the others are planning :blink::laughing:

WHAT: Set a new World Record for Speed caching.

We found a total of 413 caches in one day.

January 2, 2010

I made a new World record togehter with Elverhøj, Camfrea and Mafrea.

We found 504 caches in one day.

Where:

We started at Halmstad Powertrail in Sweden and ended in Denmark. To most caches in Denmark was at Nordsjællands Powertrail.

In Sweden the most caches were VERY close, between 0,1 and 0,2 miles. In Denmark it was a little more. Most of them was 0,3 miles.

We had one car. We did it after the rules. One person logged for all of us. The search after the next cache started when the first was replaced.

In Sweden there was a lot of snow. So we missed more than 10 caches at the trail. In Denmark we only missed 3 caches of 240 at the trail because they were gone.

The temperature was between -12 degrees Celcius (10,4 F) in the night and -3 degrees Celsius (26,6 F) at the daytime. It were sunny and almost no wind.

You can find a picture of us here: http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sn...7_3168304_n.jpg

January 2, 2010

Where:

We started at Halmstad Powertrail in Sweden and ended in Denmark. To most caches in Denmark was at Nordsjællands Powertrail.

In Sweden the most caches were VERY close, between 0,1 and 0,2 miles. In Denmark it was a little more. Most of them was 0,3 miles.

We had one car. We did it after the rules. One person logged for all of us. The search after the next cache started when the first was replaced.

In Sweden there was a lot of snow. So we missed more than 10 caches at the trail. In Denmark we only missed 3 caches of 240 at the trail because they were gone.

The temperature was between -12 degrees Celcius (10,4 F) in the night and -3 degrees Celsius (26,6 F) at the daytime. It were sunny and almost no wind.

You can find a picture of us here: http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sn...7_3168304_n.jpg

Wow!! And crossing international boundaries in the process!

Here is the "story"

After about 7½ hours we had finished the whole trail, and thought it would be fun to see if we could increase our daily record (315 caches). And we knew there was another powertrail in Sweden. :D

Only problem was that none of us had the caches in the GPS, and we hadn't brought the computer with us :P

We went to eat and buy some water and energy-bars, that we suspected we would need. :laughing:

So, this is the story of how a normal caching day evolved to a new record, without any planning. :D

Regards

Picht

Congratulations on the record,

I wonder what VK and EMC and the others are planning :anibad:B)

A trip to Sweden, I suspect.

One person did the logging/signing of the cache log? I'm new to the hobby, but I thought that "credit" was only awarded if you (person claiming credit for finding the cache) signed the log?

January 2, 2010

Where:

After what rules?

One person did the logging/signing of the cache log? I'm new to the hobby, but I thought that "credit" was only awarded if you (person claiming credit for finding the cache) signed the log?

I think it's generally acceptable that one person can sign the logsheet for everyone who is at the cache location when it's found.

I know my caching friend and I have a rule when it comes to signing. We each sign for the other rather than passing the logsheet back and forth. It saves wear and tear on the logsheets.

When my caching buddy and I go caching, the one who opens the container signs for the both of us. The possibility of decreasing the wear and tear on the logbook has never entered our minds.

We do however practice conservation of most everything just because we think that it is the right thing to do. That our logbook signing technique fits so well into that practice is a real bonus.

Edited by Team Cotati

I did "Hang 'em High on Highway 51", a powertrail in Louisiana. We ended up with 130 or so finds in a bit over 5 hours (note that this is above world-record pace). Others that have done this trail have reported that it takes about 5 hours, so it's not just me. If there's a long enough power trail nearby, these numbers are completely feasible. Usually we had the cache spotted before the car stopped. Aerial would jump out and log the cache while I brought up the next one on the iPhone. Unexpectedly, the biggest use of time was removing the log from the cache and signing it. Using stickers would have totally sped the process up up.

Here we are in 2010.......... I see this thread needs an update.

There was a Phobia trail in Nevada....part of it still exists.

There was a Gods highway in Nevada.....it is gone now.

But...now there is an E.T. highway in Nevada.

There are many "claimed" personal records, but no claimed "world records" by those who are brave enough to head out there.

I see 1021 caches all point one mile apart.

The road is North of Las Vegas.

Perhaps someone will claim a new world record after completing this run.

Most cachers have been breaking up the run into 2 or 3 days.

Have fun and be safe.

There are many "claimed" personal records, but no claimed "world records" by those who are brave enough to head out there.

Have fun and be safe.

It would appear that you are keeping score, so what is the current record (as far as you know)?

Have fun and be safe.

It would appear that you are keeping score, so what is the current record (as far as you know)?

Here's what I have been keeping track of over the years:

1105 - (1 Day 8:20AM - 6:45PM) - July 31, 2010 - Nevada - FlagMan, devhead, AS73, SD-Weiss, Thunder-4, Ragfoot

1021 - (1 Day) - July 14, 2010 - Nevada - Triple Crown, Duncan!, lulu499, snflwrmh

737 - (1 Day) - July 7, 2010 - Nevada - tite lines

1038 - (24 hrs) - June 18\19, 2010 - Nevada - Peasinapod, Team Geo-Rangers

695 (1 Day) - Friday, April 16, 2010 - Nevada\California - legoboyjj, Rain or Shine, ZSteve

626 (1 Day) - Friday, April 2, 2010 - Nevada\Califonria - Team Geo-Rangers, Peasinapod

566 - March 26, 2010 - Nevada\California - ventura_kids, f0t0m0m, Cachepal

480 - December 28, 2009 - Denmark\Sweden - Picht, Elmbaek

413 (1 Day) - August 29, 2009 - Colorado - ventura_kids, f0t0m0m, EMC of Northridge, CA

409 - May 9, 2009 - Colorado - dndsterns, chefstern, ColoradoOB

312 (24 hrs) - May 20, 2006 - Texas - geoPirat, m.zielinski, darth_maul_3, spuchtfink, Cache & Keri

263 (24 hrs) - May 22, 2005 - Jacksonville, Florida - geoPirat, Huskie

246 (24 hrs) - October 24, 2004 - Jacksonville, Florida - CaptDC52, Luke11.9, Zatoichi

240 (24 hrs) - July 4, 2004 - Nashville, Tennessee - The Leprechauns, carleenp

238 (24 hrs) - September 14, 2003 - Nashville, Tennessee - fullct

...as far as I can tell, fullct was the first one to break 100 cache mark in a day, unless someone else knows otherwise?

1105 - (1 Day 8:20AM - 6:45PM) - July 31, 2010 - Nevada - FlagMan, devhead, AS73, SD-Weiss, Thunder-4, Ragfoot

1021 - (1 Day) - July 14, 2010 - Nevada - Triple Crown, Duncan!, lulu499, snflwrmh

695 (1 Day) - Friday, April 16, 2010 - Nevada\California - legoboyjj, Rain or Shine, ZSteve

626 (1 Day) - Friday, April 2, 2010 - Nevada\Califonria - Team Geo-Rangers, Peasinapod

413 (1 Day) - August 29, 2009 - Colorado - ventura_kids, f0t0m0m, EMC of Northridge, CA

312 (24 hrs) - May 20, 2006 - Texas - geoPirat, m.zielinski, darth_maul_3, spuchtfink, Cache & Keri

246 (24 hrs) - October 24, 2004 - Jacksonville, Florida - CaptDC52, Luke11.9, Zatoichi

...as far as I can tell, fullct was the first one to break 100 cache mark in a day, unless someone else knows otherwise?

Addition:

315 (24 hrs) - May 18, 2008 - Sacramento, California - Elmbaek, Schuleit, gjensen, Picht, tottommy, Sjanten, Zooor

WHO:

EMC of Northridge California

F0T0M0M

Ventura_Kids

WHAT:

Set a new World Record for Speed caching.

WHEN:

August 29th 2009 - Midnight to Midnight

WHERE:

Denver, Colorado, USA

WHY:

We just wanted to see if it could be done.

HOW:

We had 4 cachers in one vehicle.

We started by waiting across the street from the first cache until exactly midnight.

At midnight we ran across the street and started searching.

The weather was perfect.

Total Mileage Driven = 471.5 (1.08 miles per cache)

Total Caches found/Dnf'd =413/23

Average cache time = 3 Minutes 18 Seconds

Really? I found 1 today. 2 DNF.

I'm usually not one to question the records because I know what determined cachers can do, but 1,105 caches in a little over 10 hours? The numbers don't add up.

That's about 105 caches an hour. Dividing that by 6 you get about 18 caches per hour per person. I'm guess that was a "leap frog" run. BUt even with that, that's about 3 minutes per cache, with .6 miles between stops.

I'm usually not one to question the records because I know what determined cachers can do, but 1,105 caches in a little over 10 hours? The numbers don't add up.

That's about 105 caches an hour. Dividing that by 6 you get about 18 caches per hour per person. I'm guess that was a "leap frog" run. BUt even with that, that's about 3 minutes per cache, with .6 miles between stops.

Oh, so the group split up. That is against IGGGA rules so would not be a sanctioned record.

Oh, so the group split up. That is against IGGGA rules so would not be a sanctioned record.

Someone needs to break out the asterisks.

I also noted that It a 1 cache every 36 secons or something like that. I also didn't want to be negative, so didn't comment, but I have a hard time buying it. I think if someone wants to claim a world reacord, they need to come here to the forums and subjec their meathods to peer review.

Edit:

I would consider this the current record with an astrix due to no peer review. Team Geo-Rangers has come here in the past to discuss a previous record, so I see not reason to doubt the claim, but bassed on my earlyer statment, still needs the astrix.

Edited by Andronicus

I also noted that It a 1 cache every 36 secons or something like that. I also didn't want to be negative, so didn't comment, but I have a hard time buying it. I think if someone wants to claim a world reacord, they need to come here to the forums and subjec their meathods to peer review.

I hate to defend power-caching but did they actually claim a record? Or did they just see how many they could find?

I hate to defend power-caching but did they actually claim a record? Or did they just see how many they could find?

Well, based on my previous statmend, if they just wanted to see how many they could find, great; just don't be claiming a world record then.

Not to mention; if they don't come here for peer review, how will we ever get to read the amazing stories of their endevours, or the lame "Why would anyone sane do that" replies

Is this a solo geocaching record? That, to me, is much more impressive then all the other records on the list. If the caches were all done solo, that eliminates the question of whether there was a divide in conquer strategy, and that everyone actually found and signed the log.

Just look at the names on the list. :anibad:

All those cachers are fun to be out on the trail with.

I've been caching with a bunch of them.

I'm certain they all had a great time out there.

I love that list ! Thanks for posting it. :(

Are they less fun if you're only finding 20 or so caches a day?

I guess it all depends on your definition of FUN for that particular day? :laughing:

I'd like to have a day to find one in Tanzania someday.

I'd like to have a day to find hundreds in Nevada someday.

Edited by wimseyguy

Just look at the names on the list. :anibad:

I love that list ! Thanks for posting it. :(

I went caching this past weekend with EMC of Northridge CA. I think I found 3 (I had found the others already). She may have found 5 or 6. We stopped early because the group encountered some angry bees. I was stung about 5 times. EMC was the only in the group that encountered the bees that didn't get stung. Even with the bees, it was fun. My bee sting count is higer than EMC's so I guess I had more fun :laughing:

Just look at the names on the list. :D

I love that list ! Thanks for posting it. :)

I went caching this past weekend with EMC of Northridge CA. I think I found 3 (I had found the others already). She may have found 5 or 6. We stopped early because the group encountered some angry bees. I was stung about 5 times. EMC was the only in the group that encountered the bees that didn't get stung. Even with the bees, it was fun. My bee sting count is higer than EMC's so I guess I had more fun :D

Just think if you could sing like EMC maybe you would have been stung less :D:D

Edit:

I would consider this the current record with an astrix due to no peer review. Team Geo-Rangers has come here in the past to discuss a previous record, so I see not reason to doubt the claim, but bassed on my earlyer statment, still needs the astrix.

Is this the team/record where they guy called in to Podcacher to rant about others questioning the validity of their finds claim, then ranted that Podcacher shouldnt air rants?

Sounds pompous to me. I'm surprised someone else could geocache with him for 2 minutes, let alone 24 hours.

Addition:

315 (24 hrs) - May 18, 2008 - Sacramento, California - Elmbaek, Schuleit, gjensen, Picht, tottommy, Sjanten, Zooor

Addition: 1157 (24 hrs) - Monday, Sept 27, 2010 - Alamo, Nevada - Foomanjoo, F0T0M0M, ventura_kids

Edited by ventura_kids

Addition:

Addition: 1157 (24 hrs) - Monday, Sept 27, 2010 - Alamo, Nevada - Foomanjoo, F0T0M0M, ventura_kids

So, 75 seconds per cache.

What "method" was used for the run? Did everyone get out and look for each cache? Multiple cars w/ leap frogging? etc

The world wants to know.

My 2 cents:

My wife and I did a part of the E.T. Highway on June 18 and 19. What I can say is this: On the main run down the highway, over certain segments, 60 caches in an hour is not really hard to do legitimately. They are either at the base of posts or stuck in the top. In the right vehicle, you don't even need to get out. Over one 2 hour period, my wife and I grabbed 128 caches. She drove for 1 hour and I drove for 1 hour. It was a matter of drive rapidly up to the cache, grab, open, pull out log, apply stamp, push log back in & replace cache. It would have been a bit slower if we each had to touch it. Other segments were not quite so quick. They entailed UPRs. By now, there are probably geotrails right to each one. There were a few that took some time to find, but not many. I should note that for the posts and UPRs, we did not even need a GPS... you could see right where it was from the prior cache. I should also note that my wife is not a seasoned or dedicated cacher. We did this for the adventure of giving it a whirl. Now, for seasoned cachers, I would expect more than 70 caches per hous. And, if they were leapfrogging, thee would be even more. Now, according to what I know from the most recent adventure, there were segments that were not nearly so easy. The "Alien Head" is much slower. We walked and only did the outline in 2 hours. It could be driven, which would have sped that up.

I have no reason to even begin to question the current record as being completely legitimate.