New World Record - 413 geocache finds in ONE day

ventura_kids

...But anything over about 300 per day & I would start having SERIOUS thoughts that something funny went on.

That's 1 find VERY 5 minutes....

....highly unlikely.

Several things would come to mind, including, but not limited to....pre-scouting the exact locations of each cache, or the majority of them - adding in several "can't sign because of wet log, etc." logs - having friends who had preiously found caches relay the locations beforehand - etc.

You posted this note without having read through the previous pages where all your points have been addressed.

It is actually pretty good reading right from page 1. For each page first search (Control Find) for "ventura kids" and then "ecanderson". That will give you the specific details and facts about this record run. Any remaining questions you have after that might be interesting for this group.

Actually I've read a great deal of the posts in this thread, although I'll admit not every single word. If that's a requirement before commenting, then I'm guilty. However, my comment was my opinion & not an attempt to interest anyone in particular....it was only that......my opinion.

I wonder what it would be like if we used what Fedex or UPS uses when they plan their routes. They just put all the addresses onto some mapping program that plots the shortest/quickest route to accomplish the job
Many of us use a program such as MapPoint or MS S&T to order the target caches and map the most efficient routes. However, I have found that it's best to review these results to make appropriate adjustments since these programs make some pretty silly errors, such as making three approaches from three directions to access three caches in the same park. Also, in order to increase caching speed, you need to limit the number of left turns.

I haven't figured out how to get MapPoint to think like a cacher.

What if one person in your county does the mile indoors, downhill with a tail wind? The other does it out doors, uphill with a head wind. Who has the record?
I'm sorry, I can't get past the logistics of finding a building that would offer enough room to run a mile downhill. Then there's the indoor tailwind...

(The answer to your question is 'The guy that did it faster'.)

If I am not mistaken there are indoor and outdoor records. When you do a speed run in a car don't you have to do the course in both directions so you get both a head and a tail wind? If you want to claim that you beat someone's record, you need to do it in a fair way on a similar course.
Not that it matters, but I'm pretty sure that the previous record was also run in the DIA area.
...But anything over about 300 per day & I would start having SERIOUS thoughts that something funny went on.

That's 1 find VERY 5 minutes....

....highly unlikely.

Several things would come to mind, including, but not limited to....pre-scouting the exact locations of each cache, or the majority of them - adding in several "can't sign because of wet log, etc." logs - having friends who had preiously found caches relay the locations beforehand - etc.

You posted this note without having read through the previous pages where all your points have been addressed.

It is actually pretty good reading right from page 1. For each page first search (Control Find) for "ventura kids" and then "ecanderson". That will give you the specific details and facts about this record run. Any remaining questions you have after that might be interesting for this group.

Actually I've read a great deal of the posts in this thread, although I'll admit not every single word. If that's a requirement before commenting, then I'm guilty. However, my comment was my opinion & not an attempt to interest anyone in particular....it was only that......my opinion.
Sure, but the OP already answered your issues.

There was no pre-scouting, all log books were signed, no outside help was received.

The rules followed are:

One vehicle with no more than 8 cachers.

All cachers must be at each cache.

No splitting up.

The log sheet must be signed in each cache.

The run must be done in one day.

Oh yea....NO pre-running and NO pre-finding.
I agree that no one should have found any of the caches before....that must include the driver.
We do not Pre-run the route......that is cheating.

We do not bring an additional vehicle to help out with supplies....that is cheating.

We do not pick any 24 hour time period and call it a day....that would be cheating.

We went out of our way to keep this record "clean".

Edited by sbell111

Wow, congratulations! Ironically your 1 day total is my CAREER total (4 years this month!).

Is there somewhere on the GC.com site where they show records like this?

Now I'm wondering what the record is for most FORUM POSTS in one day.... :huh:

"Is there somewhere on the GC.com site where they show records like this?"

Good question. The answer is no.

If there were though, then that could possibly construed as a 'record book'.

There is no record book and therefore there is no record.

Now if you are interested, there is a place where 'they' post claims of records of various types.

That place is right here.

Edited by Team Cotati
I wonder what it would be like if we used what Fedex or UPS uses when they plan their routes. They just put all the addresses onto some mapping program that plots the shortest/quickest route to accomplish the job

Microsoft Streets & Trips does that. That's what we use. Just export a cache list to it, tell it where you want to start and end and sit back and let it calculate the best route.

Sometimes if the cache is in a park and there's no road shown in the park, it's best to manually set a waypoint near the entrance so you know where to enter. It'll get confused otherwise. But, once the route is setup, we generally won't deviate from it. We've tried before but our finds per hour usually goes down, so now we usually stick with whatever route it spits out.

But anything over about 300 per day & I would start having SERIOUS thoughts that something funny went on. That's 1 find VERY 5 minutes....actually a bit less....with NO stops for rest-breaks, bathroom-breaks, refilling the water bottle, eating a bite, etc. That's 1 cache EVERY 5 minutes, period, for a straight 24 hours. 400 per day reduces that down to about 1 every 3.5 minutes....highly unlikely.

Yes, that's correct. It's an average of one about every 3.5 minutes, but there are caches that will be quicker, so if they find 10 in an average of 2 minutes, that's 15 minutes they have in "the bank" from which they can eat, go to the bathroom or whatever and still maintain their find rate per hour.

As far as finding 17.2 per hour, that's possible. We've found 23 per hour in "ripe" areas. It's doable when caching for 5 or 6 hours, but the stamina they had to it for 24 straight hours is great!

Edited by Skippermark

It's been fun reading all the skeptical criticism. This crops up every time someone claims some sort of 'record' of whatever variety.

I knocked off 263 caches in 20 hours or so with EMC once. We weren't dallying, but we weren't exactly scrambling either. We could have easily have done 300, but we ran out of caches to find.

Knowing these guys, 413 in 24 hours is entirely reasonable. For those of you who don't actually know VK's, f0t0m0m, and EMC, there's a very simple explanation:

Every single one of them is insane.

Seriously. They're nuts. The kind of people who would starve themselves and cross their legs for hours straight instead of making potty breaks. Peeing time is caching time.

I repeat. INSANE.

And that's how I know they were able to do it.

It's been fun reading all the skeptical criticism. This crops up every time someone claims some sort of 'record' of whatever variety.

I knocked off 263 caches in 20 hours or so with EMC once. We weren't dallying, but we weren't exactly scrambling either. We could have easily have done 300, but we ran out of caches to find.

Knowing these guys, 413 in 24 hours is entirely reasonable. For those of you who don't actually know VK's, f0t0m0m, and EMC, there's a very simple explanation:

Every single one of them is insane.

Seriously. They're nuts. The kind of people who would starve themselves and cross their legs for hours straight instead of making potty breaks. Peeing time is caching time.

I repeat. INSANE.

And that's how I know they were able to do it.

Proof positive, without doubt. :laughing:

There was one point where a bunch of locals ran over to help us do ....and I quote ....."whatever it is you are doing...because it looks like fun".

cough - snerk - BWUHAHAHA!!!! :laughing::laughing::D:blink:

Congratulations! I've wanted to do a 100 find day for the longest but always seem to get sidetracked by life. What I'd really like to do is find a sponsor for my "1000 caches in one month" trip.

Wow!

Congratulations on the new World Record!

I read the blog and looked at the caches in the Denver area. Nice!

It sounds like a really fun and yet exhausting good time.

It would certainly be fun and educational to go caching with your group for a day.

You may have approached the “wall”, but you are not there yet.

This record will probably stand until you break it again.

Personally, I’m hoping for a 100 find day.

Good luck on your next power caching adventure!

Thanks for the congratulations!

If you are heading anywhere near Malibu California, let me know.

We can take you around the area for some casual caching :laughing:

I'm almost afraid to ask what you guys define as "casual". Could we at least define "casual" as a day of caching where we actually get to sit down to eat, and "other necessities" aren't managed on the side of the road??? :laughing:

Thanks for the congratulations!

If you are heading anywhere near Malibu California, let me know.

We can take you around the area for some casual caching :laughing:

Their casual fun runs usually start casually at micky Ds or some other fast food restaurant

and anywhere from 2 to who knows how many cars starting out aound 8 to 8:30 and

then it's like the keystone cops until lunch at another fast food restaurant taking around 45

minutes or so then going on until only God knows when, Oh did I mention a lot of right turns.

I've never stayed with the group to the end, usually leaving them in the early afternoon.

Even on the fun runs VK takes a lot of time planning how to get the maximum amount of

caches and will make 3 or 4 revisions to the run before he's satisfied.

Irregardless of what the naysayers say CONGRATULATIONS to the 4 of you

Congrats on the "record"! My wife and I did a run on Sat with our 16 month old. We looked for 69 found 52. That was with a stop for lunch. I think it was around 9 hours total and almost 200 miles.

I mention this because IMO 413 in 24 hours seems to be completely possible with pre planning and several good cachers. Though I sure wouldn't want to log them all as it was those 69 took me 3 hours.

Well done guys. the only thing I dislike about speed/mega caching is trying to remember the caches. They become a blur and without anything making it stand out from the rest they become just another cache to find. I guess with more cachers it can be done. With 3 of us one day we found was 105 not including drive time from the bay area to Elk Grove, a few DNFs and attending an event. But almost any time you cache with Alamogul is a mega day.

On my own I think I did about 60.

Sorry to tell you guys but my 3 leggeg midget friend and I broke the record yesterday. We did 666 caches in 24 hours.

We didnt take a pen though so we didn't sign any of the logs.

All joking aside. You lot need to get a life. Well done to the guys/gals who got 413. I am jealous of your stamina and will. As much as I try I cannot find anyone who wants to do a 12+ hour sesh caching.

Well done again. I know its not some people cup of tea but there you go. I get alot of pleasure from planning the caches, reading logs, decrpyting clues etc. Im glad im not the only one.

(Potty mouth language deleted by moderator)

Edited by mtn-man

All joking aside. You lot need to get a life.

Please read the forum guidelines...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

1. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

2. Foul language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family-friendly. All forum posts must conform to a family-friendly standard and contributors must act accordingly.

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Thanks for the congratulations. :)

Even here in the city, it is tough to find any geocachers who want to cache longer than 12 hours in one day.

It took us 9 years to decide we would even attempt a world record 24 hour run.

I do know some geocachers that have done more than one 24 hour run. ;)

We prefer a nice 8 hour day of caching out in the desert with our SoCal4x4 group. :o

One mile between each cache, if you were able to drive that mile at 60 MPH that's 1 min. you were able to get out of the vehicle find cache, sign log, replace cache in 2 min 18 sec non stop for 24 hours? You had to get gas at least once, several bathroom breaks, mapping errors, to name a few, just speeding up and slowing down to 60 mph will rob you of another 30 sec per cache at least. That's less than 2 min per cache and then add in taking pictures, shooting video. One of your pictures looked like you walked a good distance from the vehicle. You would literally have to run fast to and from each cache. At least or close to it half your finds were in the dark, that at least doubles the degree of difficulty for the find. Looking at your profile you guys are without a doubt world class geocachers, I'm diffidently impressed with your stats. I would love to hear some more fine details for pulling this off.

Do the Math.

My Sock Puppet agrees with Bittsen, vary doubtful this happened, not only the numbers here lead to it being impossible, you also mention losing time on return trips down roads. This cuts the searching and singing time down even more. The numbers don’t add up! in my book. Getting out of the car, finding the cache, opening the cache, signing as a team, re-hiding, getting back in, getting back to a speed of 60 mph in an instant. The Cache Bandit does not buy this claim.

The problem with "Do the Math" is that it doesn't prove a thing. By math a bee and helicopter "can't" fly - but they do. And without detailed route info, how can you "do the math"?

VK (and the others): Great job! I hope you had a blast.

oh contraire! math does prove things. Helicopters fly because of math. Time and speed are constants, it's the human factor that is the variable. Going the other direction what does Murphys law state "if it can go wrong it will"

i would be really interested to see how many caches are possible for ONE cacher in a day.

if there's a group, does the whole party wait to start looking until the driver exits the vehicle?

i'll bet you get significantly fewer caches if you have to get there, get out, find the cache, open it, WRITE YOUR NAME (slapping a pre-made sticker won't do; it cuts off time), close and replace the container, return to the vehicle, and get to the next cache.

one person will not be able to do these items except in sequence. you can't replace the cache while you're starting to drive away, i'll bet.

i'd like to see all such "records" stick to the basics. THAT'S a clean run. if one cacher stops to pee, others can't still be searching. one cacher can't slap in the sticker while everybody else is running back to the van.

as far as i'm concerned, if ANYBODY is searching before the vehicle is parked and the driver is out, they might as well have dropped cachers off at separate locations and picked them up as ready.

it might have been fun, and it's certainly impressive, but i don't consider it to be a clean record.

One mile between each cache, if you were able to drive that mile at 60 MPH that's 1 min. you were able to get out of the vehicle find cache, sign log, replace cache in 2 min 18 sec non stop for 24 hours? You had to get gas at least once, several bathroom breaks, mapping errors, to name a few, just speeding up and slowing down to 60 mph will rob you of another 30 sec per cache at least. That's less than 2 min per cache and then add in taking pictures, shooting video. One of your pictures looked like you walked a good distance from the vehicle. You would literally have to run fast to and from each cache. At least or close to it half your finds were in the dark, that at least doubles the degree of difficulty for the find. Looking at your profile you guys are without a doubt world class geocachers, I'm diffidently impressed with your stats. I would love to hear some more fine details for pulling this off.

You start off with a flawed assumption of a mile between each cache. Caches can be as close as .1 mile.

Also taking pictures, shooting video etc. really has no bearing as one person can be shooting while others are hunting.

Helicopters don't fly because of math. Math merely describes why they fly. the pick of nits aside this conversation is never going to lead to common ground. The two sides have made camp and aren't moving come hell nor high water.

Very precise mathematical algorithms are used to balance helicopter blades, no balanced blade, no fly. There is nothing wrong with debating this, actually it's kind of fun, (to a point). BUT, I'll give in, I do now believe! Congratulations to those that accomplished this amazing feat! I've been thinking and studying this and actually spoke with another world class geocacher, (in top twenty), who vouched for the record. I think that naysayers put themselves in some else's shoes, knowing personally themselves could not do this so no one else should be able to do it either. Climbing Mt. Everest is an amazing feat and there is no way I could do it, (and I have some climbing experience), and even to me it appears impossible but others do it all the time.

You start off with a flawed assumption of a mile between each cache. Caches can be as close as .1 mile.

Also taking pictures, shooting video etc. really has no bearing as one person can be shooting while others are hunting.

From the OP

Total Mileage Driven = 471.5 (1.08 miles per cache)

Total Caches found/Dnf'd =413/23

Average cache time = 3 Minutes 18 Seconds

However their analysis is still flawed. They make assumption that it takes longer than 2 minutes and 18 seconds to find a cache (getting out of car, finding cache, signing log, replacing cache, and getting into car). If they keep up that rate, it leaves 1 minute to travel between cache which means the average speed would be about 60 miles an hour. Well this is flawed reasoning.

In fact it took this team under 1 minute to find most of these caches (getting out of the car, going over to the pile of rocks or other hiding spot that they saw as they were driving up, retrieving the cache and getting out the log, placing a sticker in the log, returning the log and the cache, going back to the car, getting in the car). Once they got a rhythm going, it was probably not hard for this group to maintain it. Certainly there were some caches where they had to walk a little further or the cache wasn't in the first obvious spot they looked but I wouldn't be surprised if the average time spent at each cache was still under one minute. One thing they did was limit the time searching to just over a minute. If they didn't find a cache in that time they declared a DNF. They had 23 DNFs along with the 413 finds. This give them about 2 minutes and 18 seconds to drive between caches. Remember that the average distance between caches was just over a mile. There were likely many stretches where the distance between caches was under a mile - as close as .1 miles. They probably drove these at an average speed of about 30 MPH. On the other hand they had some gaps that were driving well over a mile without stopping. They could have easily gone 60 MPH on these sections, and used the time they made up here to stop for gas or bathroom breaks.

BUT, I'll give in, I do now believe! Congratulations to those that accomplished this amazing feat!
A good choice. I live in the area that Ventura & Co used for this run, and knowing the territory allows me to say unequivocally that a group crazy enough and willing to put up a sustained effort over 24 hours can make it happen.

To other (and future) readers of this thread who didn't start from the beginning:

As I've said before, I made a trip out here to find a handful of GHP caches earlier this year. I wound up logging 52 caches in 3.5 hours SOLO, without stickers, signing each of the logs, not busting my butt to get anything done in a hurry, and not cherry picking, out in this specific area. I was looking for a few good ones placed by someone other than the two that set out most of these caches, and realized that my GPS was claiming caches nearly ever 0.1 mile for a stretch. Figured, "What the heck" and grabbed each one that was on my line of travel. Spent more time fiddling with the mini ZipLoc bags than it took to "find" these caches. The vast majority are in the middle of nowhere against the only post in sight - usually a fiber optic marker or a gas line marker. Not very exciting. I don't have any plans to go back for the other 350 some-odd 35mm film cans that no doubt remain. It was amusing for part of an afternoon, but ...

If you haven't read earlier posts in this thread, you've missed my photos of some of the territory in question that helps to explain how the faster portions of such a run are keeping down the average time. For many, you can correctly predict the exact location of the next cache from 200 feet away as you drive up.

Painful? Probably. 24 hours in and out of a car is not for the faint-hearted.

Boring beyond imagination for most of the finds? Definitely. The real skill required is wrapped around planning and keeping an event like this organized, but the finds for the most part require ZERO effort.

Possible? It's the perfect place for someone to come and try to set a record, and I have no doubts at all that a dedicated crew could pull it off. Would have been fun to sit down with them at the end to see what kind of shape they were in! Wish I'd known before they arrived.

First off, congratulations to the VenturaKids on 413! WOW! I myself have been on a few 12+ hour cache runs, and they are quite fun. I fact, I just finished a 17 hour run last weekend. I have never pre-planned a route, or anything like that. I just go caching. Me personal best was 53 caches in one day. 413 is insane. I cannot even imagine the pace your crew kept! Again, congratulations!

Why? and how was the scenery along the way? power geocaching doesn't interest me in the slightest.... and there is no world record for it... why bother? B)

Why bother with such a flippant useless post? Are we supposed to care that you don't like this kind of geocaching? That's a pretty big ego! :)

On the other hand there IS an 'unofficial' but community-recognized achievement of finding more caches in 24 hours than anyone else in the world... making these folks in fact the current World Record holders. :)

Why? and how was the scenery along the way? power geocaching doesn't interest me in the slightest.... and there is no world record for it... why bother? :)

You might as well ask someone why they got a strawberry ice cream cone instead of a chocolate one. B)

Some people like the challenge of going on a long hike to find one cache. Some like to solve a puzzle that no one else can solve. Some like to try and get first to find on every cache. Some like to visit a scenic area and find caches that happen to be there. And some want to see how many they can find in a 24 hour period. Just because something doesn't interest you in slightest doesn't mean that someone else isn't interested and might find doing something like this enjoyable.

Why? and how was the scenery along the way? power geocaching doesn't interest me in the slightest.... and there is no world record for it... why bother? :)

The scenery was different than anything I've ever seen. It was sunflowers as far as I could see.... and then flat dirt as far as I could see. Being from a big city (Los Angeles), I've never seen so much of nothing. It was great!

2ef60ddd-4c3a-405b-ac20-37a1e31212f4.jpg

Edited by ventura_kids

The scenery was different than anything I've ever seen. It was sunflowers as far as I could see.... and then flat dirt as far as I could see. Being from a big city (Los Angeles), I've never seen so much of nothing. It was great!

Excellent reply. I have no idea why others chose to respond to a question asked to you.

Bruce.

Why? and how was the scenery along the way? power geocaching doesn't interest me in the slightest.... and there is no world record for it... why bother? :huh:

MICRO AT THE BASE OF THE PHONE POLL!!! HURRY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

Anyone want to bet on how long before the next post that says "I did the math and it can't be done!"?

Or "This isn't my kind of caching at all, why would anyone do this"?

Or "These people are destroying the game, don't rehide caches properly, and sign containers with Sharpies".

One of those will be posted within the hour I am quite sure!

Anyone want to bet on how long before the next post that says "I did the math and it can't be done!"?

Or "This isn't my kind of caching at all, why would anyone do this"?

Or "These people are destroying the game, don't rehide caches properly, and sign containers with Sharpies".

One of those will be posted within the hour I am quite sure!

Well, didn't you just post all those things...? :)

OMG! That's one cache every 3.486682809 minutes! How'd they do that? :)

I agree with VK about the "sunflowers as far as the eye can see". The first time I saw fields of Sunflowers as crops (in North Dakota), I was totally amazed. I didn't know there was such a large market for them. Yes, I realize they make Sunflower oil as well as package the seeds for eating, but still.

I am glad for the bump. I do like reading and posting here at gc.com - but for the sake of what sanity I have left I need to take breaks - I missed this thread when it was hot.

Congrats on the World Record! :)

I cannot believe that you aren't outside finding caches on such a beautiful day.

Is there somewhere on the GC.com site where they show records like this?

Not that I'm aware of, but some of the stat aggregation services (that folks use to paste tables and etc. into their profiles) will display some simple rankings. It's obviously not game-wide, just amongst people who choose to upload their files. And they only know "the day is the day"; a noon-to-noon run logged with two different dates would get sliced into two pieces.

I'm partial to mygeocachingprofile.com - their 'GeoFrenzy' list can be found here:

http://www.mygeocachingprofile.com/cacherr...ngs.aspx?sort=4

(Please, nobody go bananas about the 476. He is a cacher who changed accounts and relogged all of his old finds under his new name over the course of four or five days, recording them on the date that they were re-logged, not the original find date. Nobody is claiming a 476-find day.)