Is the thrill gone?

I just posted a reply in a thread discussing cut and paste logs. It make me think about logs I've read recently. That led me to wonder whether the thrill is gone.

When a relatively new cacher logs a find on an inspired hide, the log may read something like: "This was really a challenge to find. Thanks for making this such a fun game."

When was the last time any of the more experienced cachers thanked an owner for making it a fun game?

For me, its been a while. I will tell about my search and if I think the cache is clever, but I'm afraid I haven't thanked anyone for making it a fun game. Is it because the thrill of the game has gone? I hope not.

I'm only a little ways in...been doing this for about 3 or 4 weeks so far, and on long days of caching I often leave short logs, especially on LPCs.

It's not really that I don't appreciate the find, but that there isn't a whole lot to say about those. The real stories come on diff and terr at about 3 and above. And I haven't done many of those.

It helps if you have the gift of gab.

But yeah, I know what you mean...it takes a physical effort quite often to decide how to write a detailed story for some of these that just arent that difficult.

But about the THRILL being gone...definitely not.

Oh, and if this is a first post...well I just got an FTF on the thread.

booyah

I just posted a reply in a thread discussing cut and paste logs. It make me think about logs I've read recently. That led me to wonder whether the thrill is gone.

When a relatively new cacher logs a find on an inspired hide, the log may read something like: "This was really a challenge to find. Thanks for making this such a fun game."

When was the last time any of the more experienced cachers thanked an owner for making it a fun game?

For me, its been a while. I will tell about my search and if I think the cache is clever, but I'm afraid I haven't thanked anyone for making it a fun game. Is it because the thrill of the game has gone? I hope not.

It's natural for the thrill to fade on many things/hobbies/games/relationships; if it's faded for you, that's a personal thing. Everything about geocaching is so intensely personal that only you can answer that question for only yourself. If it's gone, sorry to hear that. Speaking from personal experience, I was a huge enthusiast of World of Warcraft: it was about the achievements, the camaraderie, the new experiences. After several years it faded and other things took its place. Other hobbies have endured beyond this fading and continue to be satisfying and interesting even if they don't have the shiny newness of the original obsession.

There are many, many more cachers with more experience than our team, but here's a log from yesterday to answer your question:

This is one I've been watching for a while now. Lori likes it when I do these ones on my own :laughing:

After find the nearby newer cache, I got the numbers and walked back to the car.

Did the math, and found out the Maggie only takes projection distances to .00 km, no third decimal place, and no way to enter just metres. If you have a Maggie, you can round the metres up and it still works.

Walked by the newer cache again, and out to the viewing area.

A misinterpretation of "special tree" and "protected" had me in in the wrong area for a while, but after a half hour searching,

I strolled farther down the trail and found the tree you meant. If I had the pictures on my nuvi, I would have clued in quicker :anicute:

From there, the rest came together well and the cache was in hand after a quick search.

I traded out a cool hand made pin of a maple leaf for a spoon from Aidelaide (in keeping with the Canada theme, let's say it was from the one in Ontario ;)

Thanks for the fun - if anything, I'd bump the rating up to a 3/3!

I will certainly agree with those who say that the cache inspires the log.

Edited by doingitoldschool

Now that I am starting to shy away from urban hunting, I am much more thankful for cache owners...

July 30 by Cpl. Klinger (46 found)

I have to admit I have a bit of trepidation when I see tvnewsbiz as the hider name when doing a cache. They are routinely very tricky hides. However, that sense of unease is usually outdone by the sheer uniqueness of the areas he hides in. We drove by this cemetery once because unless you look for it, it is not obvious. There must be some very neat history surrounding this area. This was a very neat area, and the hide was in great shape. TFTH!

July 12 by Cpl. Klinger (46 found)

Finding this cache, definitely not a pain.

Driving down the lane to this cache at 20 mph? That was a major pain.

Nice cache, and nice to get so close to the river. I've lived in southern Indiana for such a long time that I can't believe I've never gotten so close to the river before.

July 12 by Cpl. Klinger (46 found)

This was one of those caches where the drive was just as fun and interesting as the cache itself. Winding, narrow roads made this a fun find. And the view at the top made it better.

Not crazily long logs, but if I find that the cache is special in some way, I'll let the CO know I liked the find. And I am very easy to please! Neat, out of the way places, along windy country roads, with great views are what I look for, and there are plenty of those kinds of hides around.

I personally don't think I have to include an explicit Thank You. I HATE cut and paste logs. I would copy the section about who my five caching partners were on a group cache run, and include it so I always remember who was there. But I also write a personalized log about the experience. I write the kind of logs I appreciate receiving. Actual Thanks is optional IMO.

In one of our cache logs yesterday, an ammo can cache that involved a 7 mile hike, we said:

"Thanks for taking the time and effort to place this wonderful series of caches along the trails in Mistletoe State Park, it was truly our pleasure to find them."

The owners emailed us and thanked us for thanking them.

After over 1700 caches the thrill continues to grow. We seek what we love and there are wonderful cache owners out there who continue to place great caches. We say thank you all the time, and we mean it.

Zeroing in on my 500th cache, (only 17 to go), and I still get a thrill when I find a cache, although I am starting to favour the more difficult caches and the ones hidden in hard to access places.

Yesterday I had a DNF at an ocean cliff cache, with waves crashing about the base of the cliff, and a hard climb down to it, despite the DNF I still thanked the hider for a great cache.

As we all really know, caching is what you make of it, who knows whether the thrill will still be with us in the future, lets enjoy it while we can. I always appreciate a complimentary log when I get one, so I try to return the favour if I feel it deserves it.

Edited by Rainbow Spirit

Nothing more annoying than seeing nothing more than a lazy "TFTC" log entry for a hide that took days to set up, fabricate, hide, then write up and publish :lol:

Many caches ago I stopped using abbreviations entirely, and I try to include something - anything - to say about the find. Even the most mundane find can include something like "perfect day to be out caching" or "thank you for the exercise and fresh air".

If you don't have time to take 30 seconds and type something more interesting and appreciative than "TFTC", you need to look into taking "Time Management" classes at the local junior college :P

It sounds as though the OP needs to start being more selective about the types of caches he/she enjoys and to start focusing on those.

Initially I liked caching because it was a thrill to find things that nobody else knew were hidden around them. After the first couple of hundred caches that thrill started to fade for me. I imagine this is true for many people :- some sooner than others.

The things that kept me playing were:

- focusing on the numbers (which has also since lots its appeal) and finding every cache in my area

- meeting new friends and doing group caching

- discovering the joys for hiking caches

In the end, caching is supposed to be a fun game. If it's not fun any more then it's probably time to find ways to bring back the excitement or maybe it's time to take up knitting instead.

Nothing more annoying than seeing nothing more than a lazy "TFTC" log entry for a hide that took days to set up, fabricate, hide, then write up and publish :P

Whenever I open my email, I am anxious to see if someone found one of my caches. This for me is the ultimate geothrill, that someone enjoyed hunting/finding my hide. So when the log entry is "TFTC!" My balloon deflates quickly. I mean to each his own, but still....

Personally, for every cache I find I do these four things: take a photo, write something unique, describe the condition of the cache and log, and thank the owner. For every cache I find.

Personally, for every cache I find I do these four things: take a photo, write something unique, describe the condition of the cache and log, and thank the owner. For every cache I find.

Do you do many puzzle caches? I do those four things for most of the caches I find. However, there are some caches where a photograph would immediately give away the answer to the puzzle. For those I keep the photos to myself.

Carolyn

After 5 1/2 years I still thank the owner for the fun or for something in the vast majority of my logs.

Me too. After 2100+ finds I've NEVER done a cut-and-paste, and I always thank the owner for something. But then, I read every cache page before it goes into a PQ and I just don't hunt very many that I'm not going to like. If there's a lampost cache between be and the Home Depot entrance I'll often stop to find it, and I'll still thank the owner for the gift, and yes, I'll STILL get a little thrill when I see the hidden container.

In some cases, my effort to log online exceeds the owner's effort in placing the cache.

I am thankful for the numbers bump, but did that cache actually enhance my overall caching experience?

Even if I do not specifically thank the owner, a worthy cache gets a worthy log from me.

If you find my cache to be worthy, I will enjoy your log for it. No need to thank me, it's understood.

Uh, depends on your definition of "more experienced cachers" I suppose. :P

I try to leave unique logs on each cache which I find. Every so often, I find one that doesn't rate much of a comment.

If one of my caches gets the very infrequent thoughtful log, I send along a thanks as the CO for them taking the time to do so, and thank them for enhancing the game/activity.

When was the last time a caring cache owner thanked a finder for leaving a good log and making it a fun game?

I know people don't like to see the TFTC in the the logs, I always usually include this, it's my quick thanks after I write a two to three sentence log(usually more if its not a P&G or gives too much away about the cache). Its more a habit than anything.

I really enjoy the sport, I personally take a lot out of it. It gets me out of the house, I work full time 3rd shift and stay up all day with a two year old. Geocaching is an excuse for me to leave and get my sanity back... wait that means that I would have to been sane in the first place. :(

I think I know what you mean: here are a one fairly recent caches for my "Take A Flying Leap (Of Faith)" cache:

Fun Find, Thanks!

Now, let's take a moment to read a few of the other logs on that same cache:

Sa-weeeet! What a great cache! A non-caching pal and I drove down to this nice park as I had my sights set on this cache for a few days. I needed a cache of this terrain/difficulty rating; I am still trying fill in all my blocks for a "Komplete Geocaching" challenge back home. So my pal and I went to the stone-walled overlook and then I realized where I had to go; he didn't want to go but instead hiked around taking some pics. I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out just what exactly was GZ. As it turned out I missed the cache on my first glance; not realizing this of course I was crawling, climbing, hanging, etc. all over the place. One knobby piece of rock that I used as a hand hold actually broke off but I at least had a good foothold. I finally found the cache and to no surprise I missed it the first time because it was pretty-well concealed.

The views and terrain are great - thanks for brining me here to see such things, and thanks for the challenge. Took nothing, left the DiverVan geocoin and the "Don't Be a Chicken" TB (which wants to visit caches like these). NEXT FINDER: open the cache carefully - the TB is kinda crammed in there and I'd hate to hear about any gravity experiments on it. PS: I realize now that I wrote the wrong date (8/15/09) on all my cache finds today, but I was there today. TFTC.

Now this cache was an adventure ... Great Hiding Place ... Made Find after several minutes of searching. Grabbed TB. SL, TFTC.

Wow, truly awesome cache! Last time I was here was on a FTF run (my 100th) and though I took in some scenery, I really missed a lot by not having any other waypoints loaded. Glad to be back...I love this place. Dropped 2 TBs, thanks!

On a day of great caching and conversation w/1B, this turned out to be, for me, a truly reaffirming experience. After a morning of finding well thought-out, constructed, and placed caches, we took a Flying Leap and it was everything it promised and more. This, to me, is an embodiment of many of the reasons I enjoy geocaching - a good challenge (physical in this case) to be shared with friends in an amazing location that you might otherwise have never visited or known existed. Amazing view at GZ that WILL be enjoyed on a lazy summer afternoon with a bottle of Knot Stock and some SRV. The view alone is reason enough to make the trip - smiley or no smiley. Thanks for a great day out at Schaar's Bluff Dan - this and all your other caches in the area made for one of the best days of caching I've had so far! Check out the pic of 1B at the edge...

So.... no. In spite of my frequent angst concern about copy & paste logs, they are not becoming the rule, if that's what you are afraid of.

(PS: Thanks to all my friends... both those that I've met, and those that I have not yet met, for those warm and wonderful logs!!!)

I tend to post long logs. One good point, I'll say, about not being a megacacher - with only 4-10 finds each run I remember them quite well.

If I found a cache that was really well done I'll say so. If I had fun doing a cache, I'll say how much fun I had (and possibly cackle with insane glee.) If I had a difficult time or think the cache needs some help, I'll say so.

I have left some rather long logs, but I can't recall ever having a reply from a cache owner along the lines of, "That was rather windy, do you ever shut up?"

As a CO I enjoy reading logs and wouldn't ever reply so. I have sent private missives requesting the removal of what I consider 'hints' in the logs, though. That's about it.

If I really did enjoy someone's log entry I'd reply to it.

Edited by DragonsWest

I'm only a little ways in...been doing this for about 3 or 4 weeks so far, and on long days of caching I often leave short logs, especially on LPCs.

It's not really that I don't appreciate the find, but that there isn't a whole lot to say about those. The real stories come on diff and terr at about 3 and above. And I haven't done many of those.

(Snip)

I've started a new tact, LPC's (as has been discussed in other threads) are getting long - even if sarcastic - posts, pictures of the area and generally making the logging the fun part, they all have memories - those are simply your choice what to make of them.

Nothing more annoying than seeing nothing more than a lazy "TFTC" log entry for a hide that took days to set up, fabricate, hide, then write up and publish :)

Many caches ago I stopped using abbreviations entirely, and I try to include something - anything - to say about the find. Even the most mundane find can include something like "perfect day to be out caching" or "thank you for the exercise and fresh air".

If you don't have time to take 30 seconds and type something more interesting and appreciative than "TFTC", you need to look into taking "Time Management" classes at the local junior college :(

Here, here! Although, I learned years ago I cannot force people to look at the world as I do (tough for me, but true), I don't feel bad when someone logs ten of my caches in a row "TFTC". Some of them are pretty darned good hides, I'm thankful for what I have, someone found my hide.

I will agree, I think the anacronims have invaded our culture - one reason I don't text - and make things appear impersonal. I too have been guilty of the log with a TFTC attached, but trying to make a better effort to write out an idividual thank you.

I tend to post long logs. One good point, I'll say, about not being a megacacher - with only 4-10 finds each run I remember them quite well.

If I found a cache that was really well done I'll say so. If I had fun doing a cache, I'll say how much fun I had (and possibly cackle with insane glee.) If I had a difficult time or think the cache needs some help, I'll say so.

I have left some rather long logs, but I can't recall ever having a reply from a cache owner along the lines of, "That was rather windy, do you ever shut up?"

As a CO I enjoy reading logs and wouldn't ever reply so. I have sent private missives requesting the removal of what I consider 'hints' in the logs, though. That's about it.

If I really did enjoy someone's log entry I'd reply to it.

As a megacacher (fully admit it), even with 62 finds in a run and 15 DNF's (true DNF's, that would include searching for it), after just over a year, there is only one cache I forgot anything about. So my log reflected that and I apoligized to the owner, Not that it was the most boring or uninspired hides, even those stick out in my mind. I think with the kids needing lunch, the wife complaining about the kids needing lunch and the haste of grabbing and running on everything about the cache got over looked. one out of 2300 isn't bad. (next poster emailed that I did sign the log).

I do however avoid the offering help to make the hide better in the log post, I ended up with a PO'd CO and he took out his frustrations on another local cachers hides... (sent him an email with coordinates of where his caches were dumped 75 miles away).

I dunno, I think our society is degrading, especially with the annonimity of the web.

There have been a couple of caches where I really didn't enjoy the experience. The only good thing about finding the cache was increasing my find count by one, which I don't even care about. In those instances, I put down "Found It" as my log. It's accurate and portrays no criticisms or any emotions at all. However, on caches that I've had amazing experiences, I try to put forth my best effort in logging them - hopefully rewarding the cache owner for their efforts.

Of course, anyone that knows this of me knows that saying "Found It" in my logs is nothing short of a slam for the cache, but I still think it's better than saying "This cache draws air rapidly" in my log.

There have been a couple of caches where I really didn't enjoy the experience. The only good thing about finding the cache was increasing my find count by one, which I don't even care about. In those instances, I put down "Found It" as my log. It's accurate and portrays no criticisms or any emotions at all. However, on caches that I've had amazing experiences, I try to put forth my best effort in logging them - hopefully rewarding the cache owner for their efforts.

Of course, anyone that knows this of me knows that saying "Found It" in my logs is nothing short of a slam for the cache, but I still think it's better than saying "This cache draws air rapidly" in my log.

You could always say it was a "Hoover" hide...

Not helping, am I...

I live in a rural area and when I started most nearby caches were mainly in wilderness preserves and in parks along rivers. Starting from the parking lot, walking to a cache site, finding it, heading back, driving to the next location, parking, walking to the cache would take about an hour.

An hour between caches and I had a blast. Six caches would take up my whole day.

Now I don't know what you are missing these days, but I think you need to figure out what that was.

Personally I'm not looking for clever caches. I look for location. Give me an ammocan on a nice trail and I'm a happy guy.

Do you do many puzzle caches? I do those four things for most of the caches I find. However, there are some caches where a photograph would immediately give away the answer to the puzzle. For those I keep the photos to myself.

Carolyn

I don't post the photo on the cache page. The photo's always include a TB and I post it on the TB's page to avoid it being a spoiler.

Personally I'm not looking for clever caches. I look for location. Give me an ammocan on a nice trail and I'm a happy guy.

While I personally couldn't say that as absolutely as you can, I am finding that the longer I do this, the more true that is for me. When I first started caching, I was one of the first in our area to put out "clever" or "cute" caches, and they were very popular, and still are. But for me, much of the thrill of both hiding and finding those has since worn off. Beauty never does.

After reading through the posts here and a few other threads - I feel compelled to point out that I regained a lot of my enthusiasim for Geocaching when I stopped trying to find each and every cache that popped up nearby. I know I won't enjoy some of them - So I don't even set out to try. Realizing I really don't "need to find them all" is freedom in and of itself.

Is it because the thrill of the game has gone? I hope not.

Logs tend to be a reflection of the way the cache was constructed, intersected with the personal history of the finder.

When someone spends good bit of time solving a puzzle cache, the log tends to reflect the energy that went into the solution and recovery. Probably a personal note, a bit about the struggle to solve it, and so forth. IOW, a longer than usual log.

When someone finds their first LPC, expect a good log. When they find their 50th LPC, the shine has worn off, expect a "TFTC".

If the finder has done 50 caches in one day, expect some "Found this with my team while touring the Carolinas" sort of copy and paste logs. Memorable hides probably get addendums.

Were the logs better five years ago? Maybe. But five years ago, some of today's multi-K+ finders were hovering around 300 or so finds, and they hadn't seen it all yet. They probably still write great logs when they are inspired, but maybe it takes more to inspire them now.

Still, logs are a reflection of cache quality (whatever that means) and personal experience.

I'm just happy that my hides are found.