Travel Bug hotels and containers

unclefunky

I really badly want to place a large Travel Bug hotel, preferably big enough to fit a few smaller Tupperware containers inside, but, despite research, I have absolutely no idea what to get. Any ideas or containers that worked well for this type of hide or might work well?

I placed a larger ammo can that i got from a surplus store. It was about 20 inches tall but otherwise the same as a "regular" ammo can.

I was worried about it walking away while out in the woods so I filled it 3/4 full of concrete. It could still handle about 40 TBs and their companions.

Thanks for the info. I read about this hotel (somebody has a lot of excess cash) and got excited. I'm not trying to do the same, but I want to go for something big and to make sure it has quite a few TB's at a time.

Hey unclefunky! You are likely going to bump up against a couple of challenges besides the size of your container.

Location. We live in a pretty cache rich area. If you want to place a cache like the one you referenced it is likely going to need to be placed on private property, like at your house.

How to keep quite a few TB's at a time in your cache. Don't make a Hotel California cache. Cachers won't always swap bugs and coins. Often they will just take one or more. Sometimes that hotel will have a lot of vacancies.

I am not trying to discourage you in any way. As you know I happen to be the proprietor of a fairly popular local bug and coin gathering spot and it has been a lot of fun the past few years. I would be happy to share experiences and ideas if you are interested. You know how to find me.

I think the first step in setting up a TB Hotel is making sure there isn't already one nearby. One can cover quite a large area.

Second, make certain it's well hidden and secure - nothing worse than a full TB hotel being muggled (unless you happen to have been that megacacher who had a bag of 100+ TBs and Coins in his car when it was burgled and they all went missing at once.)

Thanks for the info. I read about this hotel (somebody has a lot of excess cash) and got excited. I'm not trying to do the same, but I want to go for something big and to make sure it has quite a few TB's at a time.

One of the problems that I have encountered is that when a TB is put into a TB hotel that can contain lots of other trackable items it's going to stay there for awhile if it isn't as cute or clever as some of the other TBs in the cache. As new ones come in the "ugly duckling" TB will remain in the cache as finders will choose the new, cooler, TBs to move. Put that same TB in an traditional cache when it doesn't have any other TBs to compete with and it will move right away.

A .50 cal ammo box will hold quite more TBs than it probably will ever accumulate.

That said, I'm not a fan of TB hotels. The problem with TB hotels is that for them to be successful, they need to be accessible. If they are accessible, they are more likely to go missing. Lose a regular cache and you may lose a TB or two. Lose a TB hotel and a lot of TBs can go bye bye in one shot.

A .50 cal ammo box will hold quite more TBs than it probably will ever accumulate.

That said, I'm not a fan of TB hotels. The problem with TB hotels is that for them to be successful, they need to be accessible. If they are accessible, they are more likely to go missing. Lose a regular cache and you may lose a TB or two. Lose a TB hotel and a lot of TBs can go bye bye in one shot.

Having set up a TB hotel, that has not been successful. In my opinion, TB hotels in front yards work the best, but again, some people don't like to visit them. (under a bush by the driveway usually.

Edited by Unkle Fester

A while back, a new cacher that I ran into showed me some pictures that she had on her cellphone of a very cool TB hotel that she had found. It opened up in the front to reveal two "floors", each with several "rooms" (kind of like a dollhouse, I guess). I think it even had stairs going to the upper floor. I wish I had asked her to send me those pictures!

However, I must echo the comments above about TB hotels. I cringe and hold my breath whenever I see one of my trackables get dropped in them.

I've found at least one TB that was a teddy bear. Almost filled a .50 cal box by itself.

I also picked up a license plate once. Took me a long time to find another cache large enough to drop it in.

Thanks for all the comments guys. In no way am I trying to even pull off anything like the hotel I linked other than the fact I do sort of want to go with the multiple bags/containers inside to inform cachers of the goals of TBs as all the time trackables are taken away from their goal as the person picking them up, since they paid no attention to the goal. Therefore I'm assuming I'll just go with a .50 cal. ammo can or something around that size.

I have a TB Hotel that has been quite successful. It's a .50cal ammo can. It's big enough to hold most TBs. When I placed it, I wanted to make sure that it didn't fall prey to the trappings that most TB Hotels I've read about do. While I call it a TB Hotel, in reality it's just a large traditional cache. There are no rules on trading TBs. I did not want a TB prison. That means sometimes there are travellers in there and sometimes there are none. What makes it a good TB Hotel is locaton, location, location. It's located in right at a carpool parking lot just off a major highway. It's back far enough in the bush where most muggles tend not to wander, but easily accessible to any geocacher. It's been out for just over a year now and has 187 finds. Most of the logs have been quite positive. You can see it here - GC1DT3P

Cheers! :(

GC185T8 is the biggest TB hotel/gathering spot I've seen listed.

Yep, we found that container when it was in the original spot as "Mine's Bigger". It was on his front porch at that location and we were pretty new. Very unsettling then. Now I would boldly march up and dig in.

Yeah, still on his front porch.

Eventually I wouldn't mind doing something like that. Maybe have it with a webcam so I can post pictures of the finders to the listing. :(

Edited by bramasoleiowa

How to keep quite a few TB's at a time in your cache. Don't make a Hotel California cache. Cachers won't always swap bugs and coins. Often they will just take one or more. Sometimes that hotel will have a lot of vacancies.

Bugs and coins are not swap/trade items, they are travellers. Vacancies happen, do not put a trading requirement (i.e. take one leave one) those are Travel Bug prisons and there are many cachers who avoid them.

Bugs and coins are not swap/trade items, they are travellers. Vacancies happen, do not put a trading requirement (i.e. take one leave one) those are Travel Bug prisons and there are many cachers who avoid them.

I guess my reference to "hotel California" didn't work for you so you felt compelled to post a generic response. What in the World were you responding to? My post was stating that TB hotels shouldn't have restrictions and that sometimes there won't be any travellers in them. Am I somehow not understanding your point as it relates to my post? :anibad::ph34r::mad::blink:

Am I somehow not understanding your point as it relates to my post?

Apparently not. Easily fixed by reviewing your post prior to hitting add reply.

Am I somehow not understanding your point as it relates to my post?

Apparently not. Easily fixed by reviewing your post prior to hitting add reply.

I am fairly certain the intent of my original post and that of my response to you were pretty clear. For some reason you are choosing to quote portions of the text and trying to turn my words into something other than my intent. That's the beauty of the forums. One person can decide to argue with another person who is essentially saying the same thing.

Why not pick a fight with someone who disagrees with you? :mad:

I've found at least one TB that was a teddy bear. Almost filled a .50 cal box by itself.

I also picked up a license plate once. Took me a long time to find another cache large enough to drop it in.

There was a rather infamous TB around here a couple of years ago called Barry It was a 4 foot long piece of steel railroad barricade (made from a track). It somehow found it's way into a geocachers TB hotel that he had on his porch. It was taken to events a few times, and a few people grabbed it but it reappeared a couple of times at the TB hotel on the porch. The owner of that hotel moved to Western NY a couple of years ago and I think ended up taking Barry with him. It's now someplace in Ontario, CA. I suspect that this is one TB that won't ever get stolen or lost.

I generally take all the bugs and coins out of a hotel to help them on their way. I hate when I see a coin or bug of mine get stuck in a hotel, because usually it stays in a hotel 5x longer than a regular cache, and is much more likely to end up missing. So I try and liberate these poor fellows who have been stuck.

There are exceptions, but 96.3 percent of all TBs will fit easily in a .50 cal ammo box and in most cases you can fit quite a few TBs in one of these larger ammo boxes. Of course you can't accommodate them all

I saw this lock n lock container at the supermarket today and I thought of your travel bug hotel idea. It has 3 compartments. I think it would also be great for keeping geocoins, bugs and swag separate. Not sure if that would work in the practical, but it's a nice idea anyway.

That's cool! That's what I was thinking, and would fit nicely in a .50 cal ammo can. Thank you!

I'm still waiting for the WRASTRO/Baloo&bd movie to continue :ph34r::P.

Edited by unclefunky

I saw this lock n lock container at the supermarket today and I thought of your travel bug hotel idea. It has 3 compartments. I think it would also be great for keeping geocoins, bugs and swag separate. Not sure if that would work in the practical, but it's a nice idea anyway.

That's cool! That's what I was thinking, and would fit nicely in a .50 cal ammo can. Thank you!

I'm still waiting for the WRASTRO/Baloo&bd movie to continue :ph34r::P .

Hey, I am still here. I guess Baloo & bd went caching. :o

Hey, I am still here. I guess Baloo & bd went caching. :ph34r:

Who knows? Maybe Baloo got scared off. The Astro pic IS a bit intimidating :P .

He is a very friendly puppy. Just because he holds an ammo can and a GPS doesn't mean he would ever whack anyone with either item. Even Baloo...

I'm still waiting for the WRASTRO/Baloo&bd movie to continue :o:ph34r: .

Hey, I am still here. I guess Baloo & bd went caching. ;)

I was helping the kids with their homework (read: cracking the whip)

I'm only here for the popcorn.

:P

or was it ice cream? I forget.

I'm still waiting for the WRASTRO/Baloo&bd movie to continue ;):o .

Hey, I am still here. I guess Baloo & bd went caching. :D

I was helping the kids with their homework (read: cracking the whip)

I'm only here for the popcorn.

:P

or was it ice cream? I forget.

Posting correction: baloo&bd seem to have gone caching. BD seems to be involved with raising chinlrden and consuming carbs and vitamin D. :ph34r:

Popcorn and ice cream are my two favorite vegetables! Just not together. At the same time. In the same bowl.

A while back, a new cacher that I ran into showed me some pictures that she had on her cellphone of a very cool TB hotel that she had found. It opened up in the front to reveal two "floors", each with several "rooms" (kind of like a dollhouse, I guess). I think it even had stairs going to the upper floor. I wish I had asked her to send me those pictures!

However, I must echo the comments above about TB hotels. I cringe and hold my breath whenever I see one of my trackables get dropped in them.

This TB Hotel Aloha is an example, funny as heck to find...

LOCKNLOCK.jpg

Only problem with the compartments is that the dividers will restrict the larger TBs from fitting.

As to hotels, I have been known to empty one or two just because I saw the cache owner had put "If you don't leave a TB don't take one" on the page. I am not done growing up, and they ain't the boss of me!