Cache visits slow?

PureIce

How can I advertise a cache or make it more well known? I published a multi cache almost a month ago, and there has only been 3 people that have logged it. All of them said it was a good fun cache but it doesn't seem to be very popular, is there anything I can do to steer more people to it?

How can I advertise a cache or make it more well known? I published a multi cache almost a month ago, and there has only been 3 people that have logged it. All of them said it was a good fun cache but it doesn't seem to be very popular, is there anything I can do to steer more people to it?

Maybe there aren't many people who enjoy a multi cache. I know it's on my list of last things I would do.

mystery and multis are not popular. Mysteries because people have to think, multis because it is not a blow and go, you have to make several finds to get the smiley. In the future you might consider a series and bonus cache. Where you have to find a series of caches, each giving you a smiley, and in each cache is information that will allow you to find the bonus (mystery) cache which also gives you a smiley. Also caches that are in nice settings that require some effort, read walking more that 100 feet, are not visited nearly as much as a LPC. For as much a people cry that LPC's are lame, they sure get visited a lot.

Jim

True....multi-caches must be creative for me to want to persue them. One idea is to cleverly place the additional coords in a unique medium like stenciled on a washer at a handrail.

Also, I'd like to have a "more bang for my buck" moment when I reach the final cache location.....is it an ammo can stuffed with swag or is it going to end in a micro? That's just me.....but, as noted, multi's aren't the most popular hides.

People are lazy. They'd rather do a bunch of cheap easy caches that have an adventure. Leave the cache for folks who will appreciate it for what it is.

To add to this most "power cachers" completely weed out multis so they can acheive maximum smile finds per hour. I've have forty plus caches that only get visited a few times a year, and each time they are found, the nice logs more than make up for the lack of visits.

Don't take it personally.

People are lazy. They'd rather do a bunch of cheap easy caches that have an adventure. Leave the cache for folks who will appreciate it for what it is.

To add to this most "power cachers" completely weed out multis so they can acheive maximum smile finds per hour. I've have forty plus caches that only get visited a few times a year, and each time they are found, the nice logs more than make up for the lack of visits.

So your 1250+ cache finds were all adventure caches?

Perhaps if the listing stated how long it should take or how far it is to drive or walk?

Is there a reason why its a multi and not a trad? If so, perhaps mention it in the listing as a 'selling point'.

Does the cache hunt take the seeker anywhere intresting or worth seeing? If so, perhaps mention it in the listing as a 'selling point'.

The most fun multis require the finder to visit one or more intersting locations to gather information (often off plaques, statues and buldings etc.) in order to find the coordinates of the final.

It is less fun when you are simply being led by the nose from micro to micro to micro to final for no obvious reason, and so a lot of people ignore that sort of multi.

Mike

Not sure I understand the relevance of this post. What does his finds have to do with why some caches, including the COs, have a lower incidence of being visited?

OP, just keep placing the best caches you know how and don't worry about how many times they are found. Know instead that those who bothered to put in the effort enjoyed them.

Not sure I understand the relevance of this post. What does his finds have to do with why some caches, including the COs, have a lower incidence of being visited?

OP, just keep placing the best caches you know how and don't worry about how many times they are found. Know instead that those who bothered to put in the effort enjoyed them.

Just the smarmy attitude towards cachers this one poster seemed to have. This cacher appears to think very lowly of cachers who don't play the game to his level. And the point was that in the amount of time that this cacher has been playing, perhaps he was a "power cacher" at one time. In other words, every post he makes is a testament to him being better than everyone else.

I have a small problem with people who try to isolate themselves as better than the others in the group. And before someone would accuse me of the same thing, its not the same thing. I am not above the little guy. I am one of the little guys. For someone to talk down to me because I am not a great hiker, or because I don't cache vistas, or adventures or the sort is just insulting. I am sure I am not alone.

Just the smarmy attitude towards cachers this one poster seemed to have. This cacher appears to think very lowly of cachers who don't play the game to his level. And the point was that in the amount of time that this cacher has been playing, perhaps he was a "power cacher" at one time. In other words, every post he makes is a testament to him being better than everyone else.

I have a small problem with people who try to isolate themselves as better than the others in the group. And before someone would accuse me of the same thing, its not the same thing. I am not above the little guy. I am one of the little guys. For someone to talk down to me because I am not a great hiker, or because I don't cache vistas, or adventures or the sort is just insulting. I am sure I am not alone.

Kit Fox's comments were on the topic and positive in nature. It was you who posted the negative, off topic remarks.

I did not see a smarmy attitude, I saw the facts of life. There are a number of cachers that will concentrate on roadside caches that are close together. They even team up with friends, one to drive, one to navigate, one to find, one to log. These folks will not schedule a multi. Others are intimidated by a multi and shy away.

I also have caches that require a nice walk. They don't get visited very often. My guardrail caches and pill bottle cache that are easy to reach have far more visits. Does that give me a smarmy attitude? I've done a number that require walking, I've done two 16 stage multis on a tree farm. Does that give me a smarmy attitude?

I have noticed you seem to have your favorite people to jump on in the forums. Perhaps you should step back and reflect for a while. Perhaps the operation will help.

Jim

Edit: By the way, one of KF's vista caches is a guardrail cache.

Edited by jholly

Kit Fox's comments were on the topic and positive in nature. It was you who posted the negative, off topic remarks.

With all due respect...I asked him a simple question.

The implications of question were quite obvious to the most casual observer. It was not a simple question, it was a statement of position.

Jim

I did not see a smarmy attitude, I saw the facts of life. There are a number of cachers that will concentrate on roadside caches that are close together. They even team up with friends, one to drive, one to navigate, one to find, one to log. These folks will not schedule a multi. Others are intimidated by a multi and shy away.

I also have caches that require a nice walk. They don't get visited very often. My guardrail caches and pill bottle cache that are easy to reach have far more visits. Does that give me a smarmy attitude? I've done a number that require walking, I've done two 16 stage multis on a tree farm. Does that give me a smarmy attitude?

I have noticed you seem to have your favorite people to jump on in the forums. Perhaps you should step back and reflect for a while. Perhaps the operation will help.

Jim

I see smarmy attitudes. Can't help it.

I know people like caches for different reasons. I have said many times that, while I don't see any fun in a puzzle cache, I can see where some enjoy them. I would say the same about most any cache. While I am not going to go on a 300 mile round trip multi, I can see where some would enjoy it and respect the cachers decision to create it. The only cache I have said is a stupid cache is the one at the bottom of the ocean.

To talk down to people because they are nature cachers, urban cachers, power cachers, or whatever is simply not OK in my book. That is when my attitude comes out.

I respect people because they are playing the game. I don't respect them because they feel a sense of entitlement, for whatever reason they choose to quantify themselves as being better than the next guy (related to geocaching, in this instance).

The ones I seem to pick on are the ones who show this elitism. Whether its making snarky comments about LPCers or if its calling one mans treasure "trash" or any other of a set of peeves. I appreciate those who play the game they way that it makes them happy (within the guidelines).

Perhaps I would have a different attitude if I had a better first posting day experience but there are at least two (who know who they are) who had to point out that I wasn't up to their level of caching, on my first day.

Back on topic.

For those who want smileys, they will search for quick and easy hides. For those who want their caches to be found a LOT, they will hide easy caches.

It's a seesaw. The harder the cache, the fewer the finds. The easier the cache, the more finds it will get. It's really that simple.

If you wanted a lot of finds on your multi then you would have to hide a lot of GRCs and LPCs.

It's not a perfect system but its the way it is.

If I had to pull a number out of thin air, I would say that 90% of the finds are easy caches (traditionals) and the rest would encompass the rest of the types. So, for every 90 LPC logs, you could expect one log on your multi.

No science there, just guessing at numbers.

Perhaps if the listing stated how long it should take or how far it is to drive or walk?

Is there a reason why its a multi and not a trad? If so, perhaps mention it in the listing as a 'selling point'.

Does the cache hunt take the seeker anywhere intresting or worth seeing? If so, perhaps mention it in the listing as a 'selling point'.

The most fun multis require the finder to visit one or more intersting locations to gather information (often off plaques, statues and buldings etc.) in order to find the coordinates of the final.

It is less fun when you are simply being led by the nose from micro to micro to micro to final for no obvious reason, and so a lot of people ignore that sort of multi.

Mike

Our initial response to why one would not go after a milti-cache is the obvious, they are harder. However, more valid reasons include the following:

1) About many stages does this multi-cache have? Are we going to be searching for 1-2 stages or 10+ stages? We have gone after some that were way too long to finish in the time we had available, but had no way to know that when we started and since they were not in our local caching area, there wasn't opportunity to "finish on another day".

2) Approximately how far apart are the stages? Are they easy walking distance, long hike, short drive, longer drive, etc. We have encountered some we anticipated would be no more than short drives, but ended up crossing town several times. However, we are aware of others that are a bit longer drive between stages, but are on a "long drive route" that many would be taking anyway AND the cache description indicated this was the case and the direction of travel.

3) What kind of containers are we going to be searching for? Are the stages all micros or something larger or are they plaques, etc.?

4) Finally, the most valid reason for not going after a multi-cache is the substantially increased possiblity of not being able to complete that cache due to missing stages. The more stages involved, the greater possibilty of having one go missing. It is most frustrating to find the first five or so stages only to find out that number six is missing, so after all the searching we are still unable to complete the cache.

Unfortuntely for your case you seemed to have more than adequately addressed most of these issues. So for a better answer than that, see the good reponse given by Von-Horst.

Oh, one more thing that may not be applicable in your case, but could help others. If finds are not regular, at least have regular notes from the owner confirming the continued presence of all stages (see #4 above).

Maybe there aren't many people who enjoy a multi cache. I know it's on my list of last things I would do.

Our multicache experience makes us think about doing them. One time we had one of three steps completely missing. Another time, we looked for two hours in the second run on a train engine. Never found it, just went home. We found out where it was and we couldn't have reached it anyway because we are somewhat heighth challenged. They didn't suggest you might need a ladder. Not growling.....just letting you know that there isn't follow up on some caches as needed.

As was probably mentioned earlier: If number of finders is the important thing for you, put out easy-to-find caches. No reason you cannot make them good caches. But make them easy.

Many people will filter out mysteries and multis, because of the difficulty, and/or time involved. If I'm travelling, I will usually filter them out, unless I can solve the mystery from home. In those cases, I will usually go for the easy caches. Locally (say a fifty mile radius), I will go for most anything.

I have a wide variety of cache hides, from evil mysteries to cache and dashes. Yup. A cache and dash gets the most finds. Oh, well. But it does have a nice view. Second place goes to the web cam. Third is our favorite hide. Yup, in Central Park, NYC. A beautiful spot, to be sure, but it does get a lot of out-of-state visitors. Which we enjoy. Unfortunately, our second favorite cache gets few visitors. Not found since February of last year. It's a relatively easy mystery cache (only solved during the hunt). It's a mile hike, each way, with a goodly climb both ways, and has five stages. And it requires a hiking permit. It's a great hike, and a good cache, and a beautiful spot. But put those problems against it, and it does not get a lot of finds. Do I care? Yes. I wish more people would hunt for it. But those who do, love it. And that's good enough for me.

If you want a lot of finds, put out easy caches. If you want enjoyment from the finds put out good caches. If you dont care if your caches get found, but enjoy the logs from those who do, then put out the tougher caches. But make them nice!

Don't worry about how many finds there are, you don't get points for them, so just hide something you would enjoy finding, and then let others enjoy finding it. I have 2 hides, and they don't get visited often, but the logs have all been very positive, and I'd rather have a few nice logs where people remember the find than than a bunch of generic "TFTC"s. But that's just me, play the game the way that makes you happy. Especially since there is no scoring system, your happiness is really the only thing that matters.

Looks to me like the people who found your cache gave it good reviews. I'd say let the locals find the it all in good time. I've seen too many caches found by all in the first week and then nothing, nor logs worth reading.

Stick with it. Your cache is doing just fine.

Another reason some may filter out multi's or puzzle caches, we cache with a very active 4 yr old with little patience for sitting around figuring out puzzles. I love a mental challenge but not with a yammering pie hole going 90 miles an hour in circles around me :D

Yes, I can dicipline her when need be, but geocaching is a time for us to be outside and active with her and so we filter those out for now. When she's older we'll introduce that aspect of the game.

Just sayin', it's not always about lazy.

When I first started caching, I pretty much had the same attitude. I'd much rather just find traditionals since they gave me more bang for the buck. It wasn't really a sea change in philosophy when I started hunting down multi's and puzzle caches...more that I just accepted that I was out geocaching, not out smiley-caching. All the extra stages and waypoints and distances, it was doing all the same things I would be doing if I were looking for traditionals...I just did all that for the one smiley instead of four or five or ten, if the multi had that many stages. Personally, I'd gladly sacrifice a smiley or two for a good caching experience.

To the OP, the best way to make a cache well known is to put out a good cache and let others find it. Trust me, if the cache is note-worthy, word will spread in your caching community that your cache is worth looking for. Most geocaching communities have a couple of "heavy hitters" and when they speak, others take note and go after the caches they recommend.

Bruce

I wouldn't worry about having a cache with few visits, especially if you got good reviews. There are days that I want to go out and snag as many P&Gs as possible and others that I just go after 1 that I have to work for. I'm still new, with just under 100 finds. But in my experience, a well thought out multi, or simply a traditional with a long hike, turn out to be the best finds, and these have always been my favorite. A cache with fewer visits usually has less chance of getting muggled and will tend to yield the best and most swag. My last smiley has only had one other find in the last 2 years as it is the only cache located in the middle of a 3.5 mile "difficult" rated loop trail. But it was an enjoyable hike and we were rewarded with a fully stocked large ammo can. Now that I'm gaining some experience, I'll take a nice cache and hike over several mundane P&Gs. :D

The effort necessary to find a cache has two parts:

1- research effort - reading the cache page, solving the puzzle (where applicable), doing other things (like obtaining a hiking permit);

2- hunting effort - driving to the trailhead/parking, walking to GZ, searching, opening, logging and replacing the cache, walking back and driving home.

I split the cachers in three groups:

1- Independent locals - they can go to any cache they want

2- Less then independent locals (cachers with non-cacher spouses/kids, cachers without a car, kids who need a parent to drive them, etc).

3- Visitors

When you place a cache, think about how these groups view your cache:

Locals will usually do the research; an active cacher will read the description of the 2-3 caches published each week in his "caching zone". They will estimate the hunting effort, and if the "reward" is worth the effort, they will search it. The reward can be the adventure, view, smiley, ftf, cleaning up their area, etc. The effort for independent cachers is smaller than that of less than independent ones.

Visitors have entirely different criteria when looking for caches. When there are hundreds of caches within the city limits, they won't read the description for all of those. They usually have a limited time for caching, and some constraints might further limit their options. They will ignore some cache categories from the start (puzzles, multis, difficulty 5 caches, caches with recent DNF's, etc). They might ignore caches with long descriptions (unfortunately). After this quick research, they decide which caches are worth searching for. Some tourists (myself included) prefer to visit a museum or some other attractions instead of searching the busy sidewalks for micros, but will find time to look for a nice cache in a nice park, if they noticed said cache during their research.

Change it to a traditional in a lamp post and you'll get lots of finders, with wonderful "Thanks" type logs, but a cache you might be embarrassed that you hid.

Keep it the way it is, get a lot less visitors but a lot more appreciative logs, and keep a cache that you're proud you hid.

Change it to a traditional in a lamp post and you'll get lots of finders, with wonderful "Thanks" type logs, but a cache you might be embarrassed that you hid.

Keep it the way it is, get a lot less visitors but a lot more appreciative logs, and keep a cache that you're proud you hid.

You'll also end up with a cache that has better swag from trades usually. (not always, but most likely)

With a hide like a multi, its not going to be all about the numbers. It's funny, I like going for the traditionals that have been published for a long time (years) and only have a few visits (remote locations) Those are my favorites.

I would also suggest removing the line, "This is our first cache", particularily on a 3 stage multi. To many of us, those words mean trouble. They imply a cache hider that is still learning how to properly hide a cache: how to take good coordinates, pick safe hiding spots, to verify the coords after entering them, etc. Those issues can make cachers cautious enough on a regular cache, but give it two more stages and the possibilities of errors goes up exponentially.

Your mutli has certainly been vetted by the three that have found it, but I'd still suggest you edit that phrase out. Just a thought.

Another idea is to place other caches nearby.

A few years back I "discovered" a biking/walking trail along a creek that I never knew was there. I make a multi out of it where they have to traverse nearly 3/4 of the trail to get to the ammo box conclusion. It was hit a number of times initially, then sorta died... but then later it started getting hit again more often. Come to find out that others put traditional caches along the route between where my stages where. People would do some of the traditionals and then hit my multi as well.

Personally, I really like multis. The ones I've done so far have given me experience finding smaller, sneakier hides, and the kids still get the reward of trading swag at the end. I can see where some might think they are not worth it because you only get credit for one find when you've actually done more work than that. But for us they are perfect.

I know you weren't talking to me, but here's the thing. I very much prefer a good adventure cache over a lack-luster cache behind a strip mall. How would I know that? Because I've done them. I've found a very wide selection of caches. From some of the elite best to the most absolute waste of time. That's how I know what I prefer.

So, before you try to go down a road of logic that fails on its first step, think.

I know you weren't talking to me, but here's the thing. I very much prefer a good adventure cache over a lack-luster cache behind a strip mall. How would I know that? Because I've done them. I've found a very wide selection of caches. From some of the elite best to the most absolute waste of time. That's how I know what I prefer.

So, before you try to go down a road of logic that fails on its first step, think.

That pretty much sums it up for me. I've "been there, done that," and know what I prefer, and what caches get infrequent visits. I even created a 4 stage multi featuring a handmade jigsaw puzzle and another stage that feature a camo job i've never seen before, and i've only had 11 visits in 2 1/2 years.

Edited by Kit Fox

No, you got the message I was sending a little wrong.

The message I was trying to send was. that "some" people shold stop talking down to the new GCers who like easy caches because those "some" people have been there themselves.

It's the same thing with any new person to anything. Whether a job, a school, a relationship, or a silly sport where the end game is to write your name on a piece of paper. It is all a learning process and to have someone with 1250+ finds to ridicule someone for grabbing LPC (or as quoted "power caching") is a little arrogant (or in this case, a LOT arrogant)

There is nothing wrong with getting 5 caches in a year by doing kayak runs down class 4 rapids. But there is equally nothing wrong with getting 100 finds in a week doing P&Gs. One is not better than the other.

That is all I was saying with my comment.

I second. Please don't be turned down by the number of people who found your cache. They may have enjoyed it more than any other caches they ever found. That is worth everything.

While I found a few multis and do enjoy them, it really comes down to time. Within 10 miles of my home coordinates, there are 850 caches. Of those, there are 530 I haven't found, and new ones are added just about every day. The last multi I went after, the coords for stage 2 were close to 5 miles away, as the crow flies. I wasn't about to take the time to seek that stage.

I agree that multis will get fewer visitors on average than traditional caches. The only multi I hid has had 9 visits in 2 years, and there was a one-year gap before the most recent find.

I also agree with the suggestion to hide more caches nearby (parks, near highway exits), if possible.

Maybe recommended parking coordinates for the first stage would help. I see there is a PNG nearby; is that the way to get to your cache, or is there a park or trailhead closer?

I've been burned by multis both as a finder and a planter.

As a planter I've had people find the first stage and log it as a find -- sure I can delete the find but I don't want to play the game that way.

As a finder I have been unable to complete many multis - problems with missing stages, head-scratching difficult stages, math equations that simply will not add up for me, washed out coords on slips of wet paper, stages that were so far apart (and no mention of the distances in the clues) that I chucked in the towel. Too many bad experiences have made me leary of multis.

But yes, I have had some great multi experiences -- I'm especially fond of multis that have stages that can't disappear and take me to interesting locations.

Wish there was a way to separate the chaff from the wheat.

Don't worry about it. If it is planted they will come!

I like placing multi caches. Picking locations that have multiple strategies. I stay away from puzzles, mysteries and math tests. Just coord, now I may use UTM rather than LAT/LON. I take the cacher on a trip to less known or used areas of parks (no roadsides or parking lots), to minimize muggles, and then reward their time and effort with decent swag. Use or place other traditionals along the way is good. I prefer caches that are "hike and go".

Just the smarmy attitude towards cachers this one poster seemed to have. This cacher appears to think very lowly of cachers who don't play the game to his level.

I don't see a single negative adjective and thus nothing to support your conclusion about what they think of power cachers. They are simply describing the facts (as they see them) about what most power cachers do without making any sort of judgement about it at all.

Looks to me more like you are just seeing what you want to see whether it actually exists or not.

Edited by EvanMinn

I'm a believer in finding and placing the types of caches that you like and enjoy. Whether it's a park and grab or a long multi in the woods, if the people that are finding them and saying good things, that's all that matters.

That said, a lower terrain, closer to the road cache will get found more often than one further in the woods because people will stop by while out shopping, traveling through the area on vacation and things like that.

If you'd like to have some caches that get more finds, you could do it without doing a lamp post or a guardrail cache. When we're on vacation or visiting an area to cache, we usually look for easier terrain caches (doable in sneakers and normal clothes) but with a higher difficulty because it will probably be something creative and unique.

Edited by Skippermark

I'd like to thank everyone that responded, it wasn't that I thought it should have been found 20 times by now just though a couple more people might have looked for it. I've planted another traditional cache not to far from it.Maybe that will draw a few people to it. I did like what the one person said about removing the line about it being our first hide, I think I'll try that and see what happens. Once again thanks everyone for the responses.

Caches that take a little work tend to get a lot fewer finds, but usually the enjoyment factor is higher for those who do find them. You can get a lot of finds if you slap a magnetic key holder on a guardrail and get bunch of

"Found it, TFTC" logs every week. If finds are what you want, that is the way to go.

But if you want to hide truly memorable caches expect a lot fewer finds. I have caches that are found just 3-4 times a year, but judging from the logs those who do find them enjoy them immensely.

I look at the dearth of finds on those caches as an indication that I succeeded in my quest to place a memorable cache.

Do I wish more people would visit them? Sure, but if most people would spend two or three hours flitting between parking lots rather than going after these caches it's their loss.

I look at the dearth of finds on those caches as an indication that I succeeded in my quest to place a memorable cache.

I have one traditional cache that has close to 1100 finds but my most successful caches are those that may only get one or two visits a year. They are in some of the special places that I really wanted to share but require a little effort to reach. The good thing about having a cache that attracts only a few visitors is that you do not have to replace the log as often.