Expensive TB's

MCL1080

Hello Cachers, I have been out of caching for a while and would like to get back into it again, I'm also into doing interesting social media projects. Here is my idea, Setup a YouTube account, buy a camera, attach a TB to it and allow whoever finds it to record and post videos to the channel. The camera i was looking into is the Flip Ultra, it is very compact, takes good video, very easy to use, and is about $150.00.

It has the potential to have alot of very cool and interesting videos from all over the world, and i think the price would be worth it, but Tb's sometimes go missing and that is a lot of money to just go missing.

I was thinking of suggesting in the description that it only be placed in premium caches, so only really dedicated people will see where it is.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

-Mike

I like the idea, but my suggestion would be to have it exchanged hand to hand, cacher to cacher. That way there is more accountability and also no worries of a leaky cache ruining the camera.

Sounds like a neat idea, but do have my doubts how long that 150 dollar video camera will last.

If you decide to go ahead with it, be sure to post the link, so we can follow it, to see how it goes.

Would be most interesting.

--danny

-mo_town_man

Sounds like a neat idea, but do have my doubts how long that 150 dollar video camera will last.

If you decide to go ahead with it, be sure to post the link, so we can follow it, to see how it goes.

Would be most interesting.

--danny

-mo_town_man

I am posting on the forum to help me decide if I should do it or not, and get ideas about how I can maximize the chances of it actually working. I will post the link to the Bug as well as the youtube channel if I go ahead and do it.

-Mike

Say good-bye to that camera. It won't last long. If you, yourself, carried it around from event to event, it would last longer. You could be assured of its safety. If you let go of a $150 camera, it's gone. People will take and keep little matchbox Jeeps. Imagine how fast someone will scarf up an expensive camera! Think twice about this. Unless you have already won the lottery and have $150 to throw around!

Say good-bye to that camera. It won't last long. If you, yourself, carried it around from event to event, it would last longer. You could be assured of its safety. If you let go of a $150 camera, it's gone. People will take and keep little matchbox Jeeps. Imagine how fast someone will scarf up an expensive camera! Think twice about this. Unless you have already won the lottery and have $150 to throw around!

Thanks for your input, the point you bring up is exactly why I am debating it. It would be a really cool project and I have some faith in the geocaching community to want to do cool things and help with the project without stealing the camera, and being aware of what caches they place them into to keep it as safe as possible.

The way i see the price though is that it is only a few hours of work that I am giving up it isn't really all that much.

- Mike

First thing I thought of. it will be gone, maybe not as fast in prem. member only caches, but still will end up gone at some point. The idea of cacher handing it to cacher might be good, but then again, it is up to that individual cacher's judgment that the next person is going to care for it and make sure their choice of person to hand it off to is a good one.

As far as if it is in a cache, what about temp extremes? A vid cam isn't going to last too awful long sitting in an ammo box at 100 degree temps, nor is it going to hold up well in freezing weather. Just a thought. I think it is a very cool idea and hope you can work it out; would love to see it moving around.

I would be remiss if I didn't give you an honest and open opinion. I have a lot of faith in the geocaching community as I know many, many, many decent and trustworthy people, however it is extremely likely your camera placed into the wild would go missing in a short time.

I think you should find another way to get the camera into the hands of cachers.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Another option might be to get help from other cachers from different areas to place a cache. That cache would suggest that they record the finding of that cache or the finding of another cache.

Or if they don't read the description until after they find it, like several power cachers I know. You could suggest they record the next cache find, they should record it(or the trip out, just not giving it away). Then have them post the video to the you tube account.

You might get lots of videos of cachers, just not with your bug. And it'll save you $150.

Another option might be to get help from other cachers from different areas to place a cache. That cache would suggest that they record the finding of that cache or the finding of another cache.

Or if they don't read the description until after they find it, like several power cachers I know. You could suggest they record the next cache find, they should record it(or the trip out, just not giving it away). Then have them post the video to the you tube account.

You might get lots of videos of cachers, just not with your bug. And it'll save you $150.

Forgot to mention that they would be using their own camera.

I love the idea of a travel bug video camera, but I agree with the majority so far - I don't think moving it along from cache to cache in traditional TB manner will work.

Hand to hand might work: You'd be relying on the judgement of your fellow cachers to pass it onwards to someone they felt was totally reliable/trustworthy. I think you'd have to stress that as it gets passed along each cacher puts a note on the page to say who they've passed the camera on to...

In theory, I can see that the end result of many interesting video clips of cachers world-wide doing various caching-related activities would be fascinating.

I wish you well if you decide to give it a go.

MrsB

What about a disposable video camera? Not as much as an investment, still a little cash; not as good of resolution, but at least maybe less like for someone to take it...It would need to be marked very well that it is disposable. lol.

I do think you'll get a more honest and better chance with premium member caches; however, keep in mind there is the whole issue of whether a non-member can log those, so it goes to say that non-members do find them.

What about a cache that you need to locate and sign, but the only way you can claim the find is if you log a picture of yourself at some location in the world...where there is a cache site...and log it into you tube, or whatever you planned to do with it. I am not up on that stuff so don't know how it would work, but can 't you do it with your phone somehow... or their own video.... I know how far my travel bugs have made it, and doubt very much that your camera left somewhere would last. Someone who is just lurking around may just take it away..............and be very happy.

How about attaching a TB tag to one of those plastic toy squirty cameras. Have finders post YouTube videos (taken with their own cameras) and add the links to their TB logs.

Offer a $25 GC gift certificate as a prize for the best video posted within a time period. $150 will be sufficient for 6 "contests". Change the theme of the contest after each winner is determined.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

What about a cache that you need to locate and sign, but the only way you can claim the find is if you log a picture of yourself at some location in the world...where there is a cache site...and log it into you tube, or whatever you planned to do with it. I am not up on that stuff so don't know how it would work, but can 't you do it with your phone somehow... or their own video.... I know how far my travel bugs have made it, and doubt very much that your camera left somewhere would last. Someone who is just lurking around may just take it away..............and be very happy.

That idea is out the window because the cache listing guidelines changed in April about Additional Logging Requirements.

Logging of All Physical Caches

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

If it is appropriate for your cache location or theme, you may ask the cache seeker to accomplish an optional and simple task, either close to the cache site (normally within 0.1 miles or 161 meters) or when writing their online log. For example, wear the goofy hat inside the cache container and upload a photograph. Cache finders can choose whether or not to attempt or accomplish optional tasks. Cache owners may not delete the cache seeker's log based solely on optional tasks.

This guideline change applies immediately to all logs written from April 4, 2009 and going forward. Older caches with "additional logging requirements" (ALRs) are not grandfathered under the older guideline. If you own an existing cache with mandatory additional logging requirements, we request that you:

* Cease deleting logs based on additional logging requirements.

* Review your own cache listing to see if the ALR can be made into an optional and simple task, or whether it must be removed altogether.

* Adjust your geocache listing by editing the text then contact a reviewer to change the cache type, if appropriate.

How about attaching a TB tag to one of those plastic toy squirty cameras. Have finders post YouTube videos (taken with their own cameras) and add the links to their TB logs.

Offer a $25 GC gift certificate as a prize for the best video posted within a time period. $150 will be sufficient for 6 "contests". Change the theme of the contest after each winner is determined.

That idea won't work, because there are laws regulating contests that invlove monetary prizes, and they get even stickier when held worldwide.

Update:Project Video Travel Bug is a GO.

I went on amazon and found the flip mino, which is the same as the ultra except smaller (which is better for caching) it was used and only Half Price. I bought a new Bug as well for it, and I am getting a small watertight container to put it into to keep it protected from the elements, it will only fit in large caches, but that is ok.

To maximize its chances of success I will preload a video on the camera which will be Read Only so that it will not get deleted from the camera, the video will explain what the camera is for and instructions to get it back in circulation if any muggles happen to come across it.

The youtube channel is youtube.com/VideoTravelBug. If you are on YouTube Please Subscribe. The password to the account can only be found by catching the bug.

Wish the project good luck!

-Mike

WOW! I am afraid the camera will not go far away! Maybe it will not even change a cache!!!

I believe it is best to put as travellers cheap things! Even if the cache is only for premium members, do not cound that it can not be found!!!

I found one that was only for premium members, and it was multi staged cache, even if I never was a premium member!!! when the cache opened to all geocachers, I managed to log (I was in the logbook only!)!!!

Maybe a muggle will see a cacher retrieving the hidden cache....

But what about if something happens and the cache gets damaged or water comes in??? Bye bye camera???

The risk is huge!!!

Good luck! For that money, I'd buy one of those cameras that hunters stick on trees to monitor deer, put it somewhere hidden or out of reach, and take hilarious footage of people raging at a difficult micro.

Ooh... that's evil, but it'd be great to see the footage! :D

UPDATE:

I am finalizing the documentation explaining how this will all work, and I have decided to request that people only hand the camera off to other cachers, either people that they know, or people they meet while caching. The camera can be taken on caching trips and dip into each cache visited to gather miles.

Please let me know if you think this is a good way to do it. Thank you for all the suggestions.

-Mike

p.s. Don't forget to subscribe to the VideoTravelBug on Youtube.

[This is the text that I plan to include with the bug, please let me know if you think I should add anything, Thanks.]

Video Travel Bug - TB2T0TV - Owned by: mcl768

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

Congratulations You Found the Video Travel Bug.

If you do not know what a "travel bug" or "Geocaching" is,

Please go to www.Groundspeak.com and type ****** into the search Box.

The purpose of this Travel Bug is to blend social media with geocaching to produce a very interesting mix of videos of many different places.

Rules:

1. Do not keep this camera.

2. Do not leave this camera in a Cache. (Hand Off to another cacher only)

3. Once the camera is handed to you, you should take it with you caching. (You might see something interesting)

4. If the camera visits a cache with you; Please Log the Big in then grab it back out so it collects miles.

5. Be safe with it.

If you do not know much about video editing that is ok, the videos can be uploaded directly from the camera to YouTube. Each time you start and stop the camera it will create a new clip, so try to get everything you want in one shot if possible.

If you know how to edit video, feel free to do so before uploading.

The videos do not have to be about geocaching, they can be about anything you think is interesting in the same town as the cache.

How to Upload Videos to the VideoTravelBug Channel:

1. Go to www.youtube.com

2. If you are already signed in to your account; Sign Out

3. Click Sign In on the top right corner of the page

4. Use the following username and password and click "Sign in"

Username: videotravelbug (no caps)

Password: ********** please do not give the password to anyone.

5. Click Upload, and then click Upload Video

6. Browse for TB2T0TV\DCIM\100VIDEO\ [your video].avi (or the video you made)

7. Add the Title and Description (The description should have your geocaching username and video location in it)

8. Once it finishes you can Sign out. Or upload another video.

Before you hand the camera off:

1. Clear your videos from it by tapping the trash can icon, tapping Right to select all, Play to accept, and the trash can again to confirm.

2. The camera charges through the USB port, Please keep it plugged in until the light stops flashing.

Thank you for Participating in the Project, please subscribe to VideoTravelBug on YouTube, and watch the bug on geocaching.com

-mcl768

Edited by mcl768

Ok, I think I have finally finished the documentation, It is on a read-only Text file on the camera itself so when you plug it in you can get all the information you need. Now all i have to do is go out caching untill i meet someone to hand it off too. The project is about to get interesting.

-Mike