Policy on finding your own geocaches?

I was wondering what the policy is on finding your own geocaches. Simply put, are users allowed to log caches that they hide? How about "couples" or "groups" that have a single geocaching name... Can one of them log using the "family" geocaching login if they were not the one who hid it?

Thanks!

I was wondering what the policy is on finding your own geocaches. Simply put, are users allowed to log caches that they hide? How about "couples" or "groups" that have a single geocaching name... Can one of them log using the "family" geocaching login if they were not the one who hid it?

Thanks!

Sure. You can hide a single cache, and do nothing but find that one for years, racking the numbers up very easily. There is nothing in place to stop you, but why? What is the challenge in that?

I'm sure you have a serious reason for asking what appears to be a rather absurd question... can you elaborate?

The purists will say absolutely not, under no circumstances. Others will allow it for various reasons. Others will say that you can use the find count process here for any purpose you want.

If you have a team account, I'd say that anything any one member does is done as part of the team. Either finding any cache or hiding any cache. Would each member of the team log a find on every cache that the team finds? If so, the find count would reflect a multiple of finds for every cache.

My stand is that one GC# = one find. And you don't get to find something you (or your team) hid. If you want to do that, get individual accounts.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Actually, True Confessions Time:

I have a cache. It is a very, very nasty cache. You might call it a rock pile cache, but it is a step or two above that... but you'll just have to trust me on that. But it IS a micro in a rock field, nontheless.

Shortly after I put it out, it was found, and then DNF after DNF after DNF followed. I knew it was a tough hide, but still was puzzled. So I went out to check up on it. It took me three trips to find it. I eventually posted a DNF on my own cache!

Seems that the last finder moved it to what they thought it should be. I claimed a find and I darned well feel to this day that I deserved to!

The cache has been on a tether ever since, so that it can't move 2 inches. Yet it still can take me a few minutes to spot it when I go to check up on it.

I have a cache. It is a very, very nasty cache. You might call it a rock pile cache, but it is a step or two above that... but you'll just have to trust me on that. But it IS a micro in a rock field, nontheless.

Shortly after I put it out, it was found, and then DNF after DNF after DNF followed. I knew it was a tough hide, but still was puzzled. So I went out to check up on it. It took me three trips to find it. I eventually posted a DNF on my own cache!

Seems that the last finder moved it to what they thought it should be. I claimed a find and I darned well feel to this day that I deserved to!

The cache has been on a tether ever since, so that it can't move 2 inches. Yet it still can take me a few minutes to spot it when I go to check up on it.

So you admit to cheating to boost your smileys?

Bad, Chad knower...just bad.

Thanks!

Do what feels good and right for you. Ignore the people who would chastise you for "cheating" or worse. I love the Chad acquaintance story. I have a similar story but I won't bore you with the details.

Of course there are many who will tell you that you can't log an event as attended if you were the host. Lots of fuzzy rules which mean you need to decide for yourself what makes sense for you.

How about "couples" or "groups" that have a single geocaching name... Can one of them log using the "family" geocaching login if they were not the one who hid it?

I have always thought this would be a good reason to log a cache that an account owns. Lots of couples and families use one account for logging their finds. They usually are caching as a team and therefore find it easier to use the one account for logging. Of course sometimes, one team member goes caching alone. The community seems to accept that the one person may use the team account to log those caches. For some reason, some people object if later the rest of the team finds the same cache and they use the same account to log the cache again. I suspect the same thing troubles them when one person hides a cache and the rest of the team goes to find it.

I don't understand the puritan need to have one find per cache per account. As long as there are team accounts it seems we will have cases when some of team find the cache on one day and others in the same team find it another day. Or when one in the team hides the cache and the others find the cache.

The puritans claim it is not about the numbers. Well if it isn't about the numbers why do care how many times a team logs a cache, or whether a team logs their own caches? It make perfect sense to me that when someone finds a cache that they didn't hide they can log a found it log for it online. If they happen to use the team account because usually they cache as a team and log together why are they treated differently. If a husband and wife use separate accounts and one hides a cache, nobody would object to the other logging a find on the cache. The geocaching puritans seem to want to punish people for using a team account.

One reason for logging a found it is to mark that cache as found so you can hide in in future searches. If someone on your team has already found the cache or if your team owns the cache, the additional found it log is redundant as far as this use. So puritans will likely say that you don't need to log a cache your team hid as found since you can hide it from later searches already. In that case, they would argue, you should just log a note and then you won't affect the "score" in some way that the puritans find objectionable.

I believe the rule is that you CAN log a find on your own cache but only under the following conditions: First, your Dr. must write a note saying you have been diagnosed with memory lapses. When you remember that he wrote a note, you must send it in to Groundspeak, certified mail. Second, the powers that be at Groundspeak will confirm the authenticity of the note and at their semi-annual meeting will decide on a code to give you to allow you to log a find on your own cache. They will send you this note, certified/returned receipt mail, and then you are free to go back to your own cache and log a find. It's EASY!

I believe the rule is that you CAN log a find on your own cache but only under the following conditions: First, your Dr. must write a note saying you have been diagnosed with memory lapses. When you remember that he wrote a note, you must send it in to Groundspeak, certified mail. Second, the powers that be at Groundspeak will confirm the authenticity of the note and at their semi-annual meeting will decide on a code to give you to allow you to log a find on your own cache. They will send you this note, certified/returned receipt mail, and then you are free to go back to your own cache and log a find. It's EASY!

It seems to me you have been spending too much time at Control HQ. :)

And yes, I understand your tongue was planted firmly in your cheek.

Dang! The secret is out. I'm so transparent that it is embarrassing! Now everyone will know why I've been putting out all these caches!

(Note to self: put out easier ones, OK?)

Do what you want to. Don't let others dictate there personal rules onto you. It is a game, play it by your own rules (and within the rules of GS). Go spend more time caching and less time listing to the oppressors.

Edited by coverthypnosis

Seems the logic above for team accounts would allow multiple logs for every cache found, regardless whether they were together or not. So, a team of four going caching would get four logs per cache. Now I see how a team could rack up 400 finds in a day (really only 100 finds but 400 smileys!). So, that's fine, now we all know how they count and can discount their numbers by 75%.

Since each log carries the name of the Team (not the individual) then each member of the team represents the team, not themselves. How they individually keep track of finds is a mystery - but it's not here.

Seems the logic above for team accounts would allow multiple logs for every cache found, regardless whether they were together or not. So, a team of four going caching would get four logs per cache. Now I see how a team could rack up 400 finds in a day (really only 100 finds but 400 smileys!). So, that's fine, now we all know how they count and can discount their numbers by 75%.

Since each log carries the name of the Team (not the individual) then each member of the team represents the team, not themselves. How they individually keep track of finds is a mystery - but it's not here.

I believe that teams are formed because the members do not want to write separate logs when they cache together. They can share their experience and thank the cache hider with one log. But certainly if Junior wanted to write something on his own on one or two particular finds, I wouldn't see any harm in him entering a separate Found It log. If he were to do this regularly, I would suggest that he have his own account.

The need to discount someone's numbers indicate to me that you think the find count is a score and perhaps you want to be able to compare two scores to see who is ahead. Why is it that you think geocaching needs a score? Is it because someone said geocaching is a game or sport and someone else posted a definition that says a game or sport has a score? In that case perhaps you should consider that geocaching is a hobby. Do you worry that someone who collects stamps counts some stamps in their collection twice? Just let go of the idea that everyone is going to use the Found It log in exactly the way you want to define it so that you can have a "score". There is no score in geocaching.

How about "couples" or "groups" that have a single geocaching name... Can one of them log using the "family" geocaching login if they were not the one who hid it?

Every community has its norms, and the geocaching community is no different. I wouldn't say logging finds on your own hides is a taboo, but it's pretty darn close.

The circumstances you note above could reasonably considered a legit reason to do so, but it may appear to other geocachers to be numbers pumping. In the end it's nobody's business but yours whether you log finds on your caches, but if you are concerned about appearances and what other geocachers think, then it's probably something you should avoid. If that is unimportant to you, then go for it.

Edited by briansnat

Hypothetical: Cache is placed and then goes missing. The local cache maintainer replaces missing cache but relocates it a few hundred feet away. Cache owner revisits and "finds" cache in new location.

Find? No find? In the big picture does it really matter?

I've replied to a similar thread before, and will say the same thing here.

I hide all of our caches on my days off. MsKitty works as well, and many times our days off don't coincide. Sometimes I hide a cache, and MsKitty doesn't know anything about it at all, until I tell her I have another hide. On occasion, I will put the coords in, show her the cache page, and off we go with her finding the cache with NO input from me at all. I don't even tell her what the container is.

This is a legitimate find on her part, and she usually wants me to log it as such. When I do, I always explain in the log

Obviously, if I have told her about the hide, or discussed it with her in any way, then she will still hunt it, but we never log those as a find. You can see from our stats that we aren't numbers hounds, so you can't say we do this to pad our numbers. (in fact, you will probably only find 2 ot 3 that we have done like this)

Now, tell me again how this is cheating.

if you don't care about public perception, it matters little how you log or don't log caches for which you have nominal ownership.

if you can justify your finds to yourself and don't care what anyone thinks, you're all set.

i might reasonable claim finds on caches i own or have found before; brain damage prevents me from remembering a lot of things. many caches i have been to are new to me every time i visit.

while in practice it's a new hunt every time, and sometimes i DO go to caches twice because of it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...d7-acdc0bc1c814

it is disappointing for me to come home and start logging only to find out that i have been there before. because i wish for my find count to be reasonably accurate, reasonably reliable, and of apparent integrity to others, i do not log them again.

Thanks!

Sure you can do it, but it is kinda silly since it is your own cache.

Scubasonic

Thanks!

Your biggest mistake will have been to ask the question on the national forums. Do whatever pleases you and don't think twice about what others say. You're just going to be abused. Besides, this topic has been discussed in length already.

Bittsen, either show me in the rules where it's cheating or just go away.

My philosophy is to not log my own hides unless someone adopts one of my caches. I do believe you should be able to log your own events attended. That's what I do, don't care one way or the other what others think.

if you don't care about public perception, it matters little how you log or don't log caches for which you have nominal ownership.

if you can justify your finds to yourself and don't care what anyone thinks, you're all set.

i might reasonable claim finds on caches i own or have found before; brain damage prevents me from remembering a lot of things. many caches i have been to are new to me every time i visit.

while in practice it's a new hunt every time, and sometimes i DO go to caches twice because of it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...d7-acdc0bc1c814

it is disappointing for me to come home and start logging only to find out that i have been there before. because i wish for my find count to be reasonably accurate, reasonably reliable, and of apparent integrity to others, i do not log them again.

Actually, I've done that a number of times, even without (well, to the best of MY knowledge, anyway) brain damage. Caching alone the first time, with a friend, using his PQ on what turned out to be the return trip, approaching from a different direction or a different season, it can all look totally different.

I used a GSAK filter setting to find and remove most of them, but admittedly left a couple because 1) in the greater scheme of things, who cares (OK, plenty of people here do, but again, who cares?) and 2) removing them would have messed up some significant milestones.

In a nutshell, even with the best of intentions and only 1970's caused brain damage, it can happen.

Besides, in my case, that I am willing to openly admit it here (that I posted both a DNF followed by a Found It) on my own cache shows not only a sense of humor, but that I don't take my numbers that seriously. Besides, my numbers are my numbers and I don't expect anyone else to question them.

[edited to add that that one smiley amounts to 2.7777777777777777777777777777778e-4 of my finds.]

Edited by knowschad

Thanks!

Your biggest mistake will have been to ask the question on the national forums. Do whatever pleases you and don't think twice about what others say. You're just going to be abused. Besides, this topic has been discussed in length already.

Some new geocachers just might want to know what the norms of the community are. It's natural to want to be accepted when joining a community and part of being accepted usually consists of conforming to the mores of the community. You aren't going to learn that stuff on your own, you have to ask. What better places is there to do that then here where he can get a wide range of opinions?

When a person asks a question such as this one, he obviously is concerned about what the norms are. Telling him to do whatever he wants is not particularly helpful and really doesn't answer his question.

As far as people abusing the OP, it hasn't happened.

Edited by briansnat

Thanks!

Some new geocachers just might want to know what the norms of the community are. It's natural to want to be accepted when joining a community and part of being accepted usually consists of conforming to the mores of the community. You aren't going to learn that stuff on your own, you have to ask. What better places is there to do that then here where he can get a wide range of opinions?

When a person asks a question such as this one, he obviously is concerned about what the norms are. Telling him to do whatever he wants is not particularly helpful and really doesn't answer his question.

As far as people abusing the OP, it hasn't happened.

I agree with what you say there, Briansnat, but I suspect that what bflentje was trying to say was that this is not a good place in general to learn the "norms". This forum has become a hangout for extremists of both polarities, with a rare and mostly silent middle ground. If I were to paraphrase bflentje's post, I think I'd instead say, "Feel free to post questions here, but take the answers with a huge grain of salt" (Sorry, Bart, for putting words in your mouth)

(PS: just noticed: The OP has about two years seniority over both me and bflentje LOL!... I guess we're the noobs here! <_< )

Edited by knowschad

Do what you want to. Don't let others dictate there personal rules onto you. It is a game, play it by your own rules (and within the rules of GS). Go spend more time caching and less time listing to the oppressors.

This is probably the best advice out there.

The software has the flexibility to do as you chose.

I have chosen not to log any more finds. I post a nice note on good caches and ignore all the silly LPC's. Very liberating.

Go out and enjoy. And log as you wish...as long as you find it.

My philosophy is to not log my own hides unless someone adopts one of my caches. I do believe you should be able to log your own events attended. That's what I do, don't care one way or the other what others think.

Personally I would never log a find on a cache I hid or that I helprd my wife hide. That's not what MY stats mean to me. Now while it would be nice if everyone would log just like me so that I would know just what everones numbers mean, <_< I have to agree that if the that's the way you play, whatever. Just don't ask me to respect your numbers the way I do mine if you don't use the same standard as I do.

So the bottom line is.... Numbers don't matter because the numbers are messed up.

Now while it would be nice if everyone would log just like me so that I would know just what everones numbers mean, <_< I have to agree that if the that's the way you play, whatever. Just don't ask me to respect your numbers the way I do mine if you don't use the same standard as I do.

So the bottom line is.... Numbers don't matter because the numbers are messed up.

Actually, if you were to take a look at my stats, you would see X finds out of Y unique finds (or something to that effect). My Y will be larger than my X. I was misinformed about temp event caches when I was new to this. Please subtract Y-X from my status as a cacher.

I was wondering what the policy is on finding your own geocaches.
There is no policy/guideline regarding this issue.
Simply put, are users allowed to log caches that they hide?
Yes.
If they wish.

In general, a 'found it' log is an agreement between the cache owner and the cache finder. If both agree that a 'found' log is appropriate, then it is. It should be noted that there are a few exceptions to this. For instance, if a cacher signs the log book for a non-challenge cache, they are allowed to log their find online regardless of the cache owner's wishes. Also, cache owners should not remove a cache or log book and take it to a different location (such as an event) to allow people to 'find' the cache. Doing this may get the cache archived and locked, as well as other possible negative actions.

Edited by sbell111
The purists will say absolutely not, under no circumstances. Others will allow it for various reasons. Others will say that you can use the find count process here for any purpose you want.

Wise words, and undoubtedly why there are no rules governing it. Remember, IJAG.

"Take your business to court, and some will say it is white, and some black." Cervantes, via Don Quixote

Edward

Now while it would be nice if everyone would log just like me so that I would know just what everones numbers mean, :o I have to agree that if the that's the way you play, whatever. Just don't ask me to respect your numbers the way I do mine if you don't use the same standard as I do.

Actually, if you were to take a look at my stats, you would see X finds out of Y unique finds (or something to that effect). My Y will be larger than my X. I was misinformed about temp event caches when I was new to this. Please subtract Y-X from my status as a cacher.

Same here.. though, I am not sure I'd call it misinformed. It was, and might still be, common practice in our parts. When attending events I no longer bother finding temp caches.

Same here.. though, I am not sure I'd call it misinformed. It was, and might still be, common practice in our parts. When attending events I no longer bother finding temp caches.

I still like to find them... but I just consider it part of the fun. I no longer log them. But I openly acknowledge that it is a personal choice.

Edited by knowschad

Now while it would be nice if everyone would log just like me so that I would know just what everones numbers mean, :o I have to agree that if the that's the way you play, whatever. Just don't ask me to respect your numbers the way I do mine if you don't use the same standard as I do.

And I think that is the key here. Different cachers learned, or were told, different ways to log caches. If they want to log them that way, it's fine by me. I'm not endorsing or condemning logging your own. I'm just stating that because folks log different ways the 'raw' number you see on their profile may not mean what you think it means. That's fine too, as long as we all realize that, and don't try to impose our standard of logging on their numbers.

And I think that is the key here. Different cachers learned, or were told, different ways to log caches. If they want to log them that way, it's fine by me. I'm not endorsing or condemning logging your own. I'm just stating that because folks log different ways the 'raw' number you see on their profile may not mean what you think it means. That's fine too, as long as we all realize that, and don't try to impose our standard of logging on their numbers.

I am absolutely agreeing with you. And better yet, I had the freedom to change my own philosophy (after having seen the light).

I'm not endorsing or condemning logging your own. I'm just stating that because folks log different ways the 'raw' number you see on their profile may not mean what you think it means. That's fine too, as long as we all realize that, and don't try to impose our standard of logging on their numbers.

I also agree, as long as I'm free to snicker, or even guffaw at those that do count them. :o