Urbex caches

Crab_Soul

Urbex = urban exploration.

Urbex by itself is enjoying the beauty of the urban jungle. The rotted buildings. The miles of pipes. The lost architecture.

Urbex with the addaptation of geocacheing is the dungeons of wich youv never seen.

these are unaproveable and illegal caches.

These caches are for true explorers.

these caches would be placed in abandoned buildings and structures as well as many other tunnels and drains

most will think this is a bad idea. but im just pitching my idea.

exploreing a building isnt as fun without an objective.

this is extream cacheing with an urban enviornment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eoBpvZ9Z0

this is the only known urbex cache ive found

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a8-265f1c543999

Edited by Crab_Soul

exploreing a building isnt as fun without an objective.

as an urbexer i would like to say that i dont agree with that read anything published my Ninjalicious and you will see what is so great the objective of the explore is purly the explore i also do not agree with this idea at all i go into many abandoned buildings and have visited some world famous active sites however what i do can turn into a criminal activity and as such this should not be part of geocaching and also the dangers i have come across inside these buildings are way up and above those which i have encountered on geocaches (i.e. falling threw floors, celings falling in, hiding from security which they throw out druggies etc...) as such a geocache in an abandoned building is stupid.

but thats just my opinion :(

no no there arent many urbex caches sence many are illegal.

these catchs would not be traditional caches - the box would be an urbex cache with all the warnings and dangers highlighted. and an "AT YOUR OWN RISK" clause. these caches should be represented on the map with a skull and crossbones or other warning symbol

this is one

Edited by Crab_Soul

its actualy (in the uk) not illegal as most urbexers break tresspass laws which is a civil offense however i agree that geocaching and urbexing shouldn't be mixed for legality and safety especially with so many threats of terrorism these days but at the end of the day people prefer different caches but i wouldn't personaly hunt an urbex cache

people can feel what they wish. but i was wanting to take a more underground aproach to it. i dont really want urbex caches to even be listed to general geo cacheing audiance. i dont mean to "mix" them at all. i just want them to have a child so to say.

i just wish there was a way to get a google earth database for urbex caches.

Such caches would be excellent as long as they don't involve trespassing.

Browse through this thread, and post any pics you have. Most of these are in the wilderness, but some resemble that Belgian fort in your videos.

Also, take a look through Vinnie & Sue's hides.

the unfortunate part is.. while many places around here do not have a "no tresspassing" sign. im pretty sure its not legal to enter any old abandoned place. wich sux... becouse its abandoned and nothing is there but some hobos..

ok ok- ive been doing my research.

ive noted that alot of geocachers dont like urbex and that many urbex hate geocachers.

urbex is underground and is trying to keep quiet.

geocacheing is practicly a buisness and is trying to spread the word.

traditional geocacheing - is for familys. it is for the young and the old.

Urbex - is for the teen to middle aged out for mysteries.

----

think about it.

A dungeon without treasure is just a maze. (urbex)

A treasure without a dungeon is just a puzzle. (geocacheing)

Would you kindly shut up already? Your only posts on this site have been in this thread, and every one of them is about how "underground" and "illegal" it is to "urbex". People have repsonded to your orginal post, but you keep coming back like a broken record.

If you want to geocache, then geocache. That's what this site is for.

Would you kindly shut up already? Your only posts on this site have been in this thread, and every one of them is about how "underground" and "illegal" it is to "urbex". People have repsonded to your orginal post, but you keep coming back like a broken record.

if you dont like it. then dont read the post maby? :(

if you dont like it. then dont read the post maby? :(

I'm just calling a troll a troll. Maybe you should find some caches before telling about how great they would be in your urban decay.

people can feel what they wish. but i was wanting to take a more underground aproach to it. i dont really want urbex caches to even be listed to general geo cacheing audiance. i dont mean to "mix" them at all. i just want them to have a child so to say.

You want it to be underground and have a Groundspeakesque listing site for it? Aren't those two things mutually exclusive?

Whoever invented capital letters and punctuation was very wise.

capital letters are sooooo 1980s..

-------

look im new to cacheing. urbex cacheing may not be for you. but alot of people want it. and its going to happen if you like it or not. ok? im just trying to get it kicked off

Edited by Crab_Soul

You want it to be underground and have a Groundspeakesque listing site for it? Aren't those two things mutually exclusive?

Not really. It would basically be just like most any other indoor cache. Coordinates for some outside location would start you off and then you would follow clues.

Also, I don't think that he was using 'underground' in the same way as you were. Perhaps I am wrong, in which case you and I are in agreement in this:

To Crab Soul-

If you want these urbex caches to take more of an underground (ie clandestine) approach than mainstream geocaching and you don't want them to even be listed for the general geocaching audience, the answer is simple. Start your own urbex-caching website.

Also, maybe you should go find some caches. It would have two benefits. First, you might decide that this game isn't even for you and abandon teh urbex-caching idea. Second, having verifiable finds would give you some credibility and make fewer people suspect that you are a troll.

Edited by sbell111

I would suggest a little urban exploration of an English book.

The way ideas are presented goes a long way towards acceptance.

After all, even the best steak is unappetizing when presented on a trash can lid for a plate. :(

Urbex is obviously a bad idea for caching.

Good luck in your "illegal" and "underground" pursuits.

But leave it out of caching, please.

Not really. It would basically be just like most any other indoor cache. Coordinates for some outside location would start you off and then you would follow clues.

Also, I don't think that he was using 'underground' in the same way as you were. Perhaps I am wrong, in which case you and I are in agreement in this:

To Crab Soul-

If you want these urbex caches to take more of an underground (ie clandestine) approach than mainstream geocaching and you don't want them to even be listed for the general geocaching audience, the answer is simple. Start your own urbex-caching website.

Also, maybe you should go find some caches. It would have two benefits. First, you might decide that this game isn't even for you and abandon teh urbex-caching idea. Second, having verifiable finds would give you some credibility and make fewer people suspect that you are a troll.

I must say that I agree completely with all of the points made by sbell111 (well, duh, of course... that is one of my sock puppet accounts...!) So, I heartily second each comment made by Sbell111 in his post above. Thank you for hitting pretty much all of the salient points so well.

Also, I am not at all sure why va_griz claimed that an underground cache, or a cache in an abandoned structure (i.e., an old mill in the forest) could not be listed at this site. The reality is that there are many thousands of such caches listed at this site; I own some myself. All such placements are fully in compliance with Groundspeak listing rules.

-------

look im new to cacheing. urbex cacheing may not be for you. but alot of people want it. and its going to happen if you like it or not. ok? im just trying to get it kicked off

So you are admitting that you are a noob to caching. No problem, we were all there once ourselves. You like to explore abandoned buildings and feeling like you are doing something "on the edge" and "illegal". Ok, that's YOUR thing. But since you are so new (and obviously young), how do you know exactly what SOOO many geocachers are wanting?

And BTW, capitalization and punctuation are not outdated. They are signs of education and intelligence. Not saying mine is anywhere near perfect, but most people who are beyond middle school find the online use "text speech" boerish.

Edited by scuba dude

I do believe that sbell111 is correct about Crab_Soul's usage of the word underground. It's like underground music or movies, "Intended for a elite audience by throwing in the face of what mainstream thinks it should be".

Fortunately we have occasional examples of the underground going mainstream, like Nirvana, ICP, Quentin Tarantino and Japanese horror being re filmed for an English speaking audience.

~~~edit~~~

closed a tag.

Edited by Vater_Araignee

OK, so I was using the old fashioned definition of underground. I just saw the terms "unaproveable and illegal caches", "trying to keep it quiet", trespassing, danger warnings, added to that the trendy term Urbex, and assumed that underground meant it was subversive to traditional Geocaching. But hey, what do I know, I still use capitol letters?

Have fun in your urban dungeons, I'll stick to the walks in the park.

I do believe that urbex and geocaching can overlap. ...but only a little. Kind of like geocaching and letterboxing. The hobbies are similar, draw similar personalities, but are different enough to have elements that are mutually exclusive.

There are plenty of urbex-style geocaches. A famous, now archived, cache in NC and its successor are urbex. We've done quite a few urbex-style caches. However, hardcore urban exploration does not belong in geocaching--almost by definition. One should note that few, if any, urbex sites list exactly where many of those sites are or how to access. They are vague intentionally. Photos of the explorers have their faces obscured. This is for a reason. Hardcore urbex lives in the gray to black areas of legality. Geocaching lives in the opposite end of the spectrum.

I love exploration and adventure. I like hobbies that provide that. However, even though I like various hobbies these various hobbies can't be one hobby.

If you want to provide safe, legal and ethical urbex-style caches then I'm all for it. The harder, the better. (But, not tedious.)

There is plenty of scope for urbex and caching to overlap. Of course. Just keep it within the listing guidelines. I own a few caches that urbexers would enjoy, as do others that have posted on this thread. Tough terrain ... mental challenge ... an element of overcoming fear ... the need to use some fun gear ... what's not to like? (*ducks to avoid long lists of what's not to like*)

"Do not seek this cache in the rain" ... "always bring a backup flashlight and backup batteries" ... "you are seeking this cache at your own risk" ... music to my ears!!

I will use this chance to once again pimp the following cool urbex sites:

http://www.infiltration.org

http://www.vanishingpoint.ca

Happy caching!

So the basics of the gc.com cache posting guidelines is you gotta have a log, and you gotta have permission.

If the OP has an idea for a "urbex" cache that meets ALL the cache posting guidelines, there's the no problem, and the rules take care of it all.

If on the other hand, "urbex" caches break the rules, and ARE approved on gc.com, they need to be reported and shut down.

To Crab Soul-

I must say that I agree completely with all of the points made by sbell111 (well, duh, of course... that is one of my sock puppet accounts...!) So, I heartily second each comment made by Sbell111 in his post above. Thank you for hitting pretty much all of the salient points so well.

Also, I am not at all sure why va_griz claimed that an underground cache, or a cache in an abandoned structure (i.e., an old mill in the forest) could not be listed at this site. The reality is that there are many thousands of such caches listed at this site; I own some myself. All such placements are fully in compliance with Groundspeak listing rules.

In my earlier post above, I used the term "underground" solely in accord with its classical definition, namely, to denote something placed under the ground, such as a tunnel, abandoned tunnel, cave, basement, abandoned missile silos or bunkers at an abandoned military fort.

There is plenty of scope for urbex and caching to overlap. Of course. Just keep it within the listing guidelines. I own a few caches that urbexers would enjoy, as do others that have posted on this thread. Tough terrain ... mental challenge ... an element of overcoming fear ... the need to use some fun gear ... what's not to like? (*ducks to avoid long lists of what's not to like*)

"Do not seek this cache in the rain" ... "always bring a backup flashlight and backup batteries" ... "you are seeking this cache at your own risk" ... music to my ears!!

Listening to the description of urbex, I agree that there would be segment of the caching population that would be very interested in those kinds of activities. A lot of people geocache because of the interesting experiences that they have along the way and also because geocaching helps them discover new places. As a middle-aged husband and father, there's a limit to the risks I would take but I'm interested in physical challenges that dont endanger my life or pose a likelihood of me being arrested.

Those people that are drawn to urbex would probably enjoy high-terrain, high-difficulty geocaches and visa versa.

Edited by sdarken

this is the only known urbex cache ive found

Funny. Based on your description of Urbex ("this is not for families, or children") , this wasn't exactly the type of people that I was picturing in my mind, but it sounds like fun cache all the same:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...fa-6c79af22b0a2

I did something similar the other day for stage 1 of a multi:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...b0-078c456e0e20

Edited by sdarken

well thats the problem.i was under the impression that if you do not own the property. even if its abandoned. its illegal to enter. correct?

im also pretty sure its illegal to go into storm drains and other government property as well.

if not then what i have said is "illegal" wouldnt be illegal at all eh?

well thats the problem.i was under the impression that if you do not own the property. even if its abandoned. its illegal to enter. correct?

im also pretty sure its illegal to go into storm drains and other government property as well.

I dont think you could make a blanket statement like that. The is plenty of property owned by governments where it's quite legal to visit. In the U.S, storm drains are probably controlled by local utility companies and they may or may not have ordinances about them. You'd have to take each location on a case-by-case basis.

I dont think you could make a blanket statement like that. The is plenty of property owned by governments where it's quite legal to visit. In the U.S, storm drains are probably controlled by local utility companies and they may or may not have ordinances about them. You'd have to take each location on a case-by-case basis.

The same goes for abandoned property, a lot of decrepit properties revert to the state government because the owners no longer payed their property tax. More than once I escaped detainment by saying the state owns this property and it is not marked "no trespassing" and I did not break in. I'm not breaking any law so please let me sue you and your department for false arrest. After the first time I learned not to get indignant. :unsure: I didn't know that you had to have your seat belt on before you put your key in the ignition, I also got two bull hock tickets unsafe start and loud exhaust. :laughing:

County and city laws may vary and some states have one law for tax default in county A and a different law for county B, so know your local and state laws.

The person who invented correct grammar and sentence structure was wise as well.

(I edited this post to eliminate an unnecessary word.)

-------

When adding the suffix "ing" to a word ending with a silent "e", it is customary to drop the "e" and add the suffix.

OK, so I was using the old fashioned definition of underground. I just saw the terms "unaproveable and illegal caches", "trying to keep it quiet", trespassing, danger warnings, added to that the trendy term Urbex, and assumed that underground meant it was subversive to traditional Geocaching. But hey, what do I know, I still use capitol letters?

Capitol = the building

Capital = uppercase letters (among other definitions)

Edited by Morgan's Marauders

The person who invented correct grammar and sentence structure was wise as well.

(I edited this post to eliminate an unnecessary word.)

-------

When adding the suffix "ing" to a word ending with a silent "e", it is customary to drop the "e" and add the suffix.

Capitol = the building

Capital = uppercase letters (among other definitions)

ok DUDE - yes DUDE im not one to give much of a crap about grammer on a forum im dyslexic dysgrapic and a.d.d. if that makes you shut up.

JEOCASHIN

do$3 Th@t just Fudgeing twi$t your spinal cord $!GEFGES%YWG#$%GQ#$H$^ OVERLOAD OVERLOAD - ><(((('> ISA FEESH

self destruct in 3...2...1...

p00p

Edited by Crab_Soul

No, Crab soul. No body here gives a dadgum if you are dyslexic, ADD or anything. Quit trying to play the "victim" card. You're a punk kid who's only out looking for attention. You obviously have no interest in the hobby of geocaching. Go play in traffic.

I called it from the start. Troll.

Sadly, after having seen the recent flurry of posts from Crab_Soul, I find that I must agree with scuba dude, in his post above, on all major points. However, I must respectfully disagree about the recommendation to "go play in traffic"; instead, I would recommend "go play with some old sticks of dynamite that are showing evidence of sweating crystallized nitroglycerin."

I think that Crab_Soul has played out his courtesy card here and that it is time for him to move on to his next trolling grounds.

i like geocaching i dont get where you think ive run around saying "ohhh geocaching is dumb"

geocaching cool

urbex cool

urbex geocaching AWSOME

i even made my own cache and its not an urbex one.

after seeing alot of cool cache containers ive been inspired to make my own.

but if your so annoyed by trolls and grammer THEN DONT REPLY maby?!!?!?!?

Edited by Crab_Soul

And BTW, capitalization and punctuation are not outdated. They are signs of education and intelligence. Not saying mine is anywhere near perfect, but most people who are beyond middle school find the online use "text speech" boerish.

have they abandoned grammar in afrikaans?

Edited by flask

have they abandoned grammar in afrikaans?

This is a sentence about geocaching.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

look i did it. :)

its not that i dont know. its taht i dnot feel lkie tnkieag the tmie to do it. so sotp wnhieig aoubt the gmraemr bceuose i wlil nveer sotp. and it dsnot mttear povren by tihs snetcene.

Edited by Crab_Soul