OK, so what the heck are these things?

StumpWater

Whenever a question like this comes up, the answer always has something to do with aliens.

Yes, http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=211856

But I love it, what a great idea, finding interesting/strange things.

There actually is a Stonehenge replica at UMass Amhurst

http://maps.google.com/staticmap?center=42...ptype=satellite

OK that url blows, how about:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=42....mp;t=h&z=20

this gives you the ability to zoom in and out and pan.

http://www.umass.edu/sunwheel/

Well, it's stonehenge-like, but not a model of the actual one.

Edited by trainlove

Are they actually physical objects out in the world, or an digital image artifact of some sort at google?

Plus, there is the start of another one just up from the bottom one, just the center 'tower'.

Edited to add:

www.terraserver.microsoft.com shows them too. So they are real.

Edited by trainlove

Much as I would love to claim that they were emplaced by aliens, or at least by the Air Force skunk ops team for which Sioneva works, I suspect that they are tunable-phased directional transmitting antennas -- often called a "curtain array" -- for the shortwave (SW) radio band, that is just above the AM broadcast band to about perhaps 24 MHz. It is most likely that they are the "antenna farm" that is part of shortwave worldwide transmitting facility for Voice of America (VOA), since it is well known that VOA has a large array of SW transmitters and antenna farms located near Greenville, NC. Some ancillary transmitters and antenna farms are located closer to Durham NC.

In fact, the buildings to the north of the five curtain array antennas seem to be part of a VOA facility as well.

And... just received confirmation from a friend who works for VOA that this is indeed likely the case!

Barring that, it is a shortwave antenna array farm for a bank of shortwave transmitters for a (non-VOA) government facility, or for a missionary church (for example, a number of missionary churches operate shortwave transmitters and antenna farms on old farm properties located along major interstate highways in Pennsylvania.)

Hope this helps!

(It also helps that I spent a good chunk of my life designing and building antenna arrays; I can recognize them in a second!)

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Much as I would love to claim that they were emplaced by aliens, or at least by the Air Force skunk ops team for which Sioneva works, I suspect that they are tunable-phased directional transmitting antennas -- often called a "curtain array" -- for the shortwave (SW) radio band, that is just above the AM broadcast band to about perhaps 24 MHz. It is most likely that they are the "antenna farm" that is part of shortwave worldwide transmitting facility for Voice of America (VOA), since it is well known that VOA has a large array of SW transmitters and antenna farms located near Greenville, NC.

In fact, the buildings to the north of the five curtain array antennas seem to be part of a VOA facility as well.

And... just received confirmation from a friend who works for VOA that this is indeed the case!

Hope this helps!

It also helps that I spent a good chunk of my life designing and building antenna arrays; I can recognize them in a second!

If I can fool Vinny, I can fool the world... HEEHEE! I am INVINCIBLE!

Much as I would love to claim that they were emplaced by aliens, or at least by the Air Force skunk ops team for which Sioneva works, I suspect that they are tunable-phased directional transmitting antennas -- often called a "curtain array" -- for the shortwave (SW) radio band, that is just above the AM broadcast band to about perhaps 24 MHz. It is most likely that they are the "antenna farm" that is part of shortwave worldwide transmitting facility for Voice of America (VOA), since it is well known that VOA has a large array of SW transmitters and antenna farms located near Greenville, NC.

And... just received confirmation from a friend who works for VOA that this is indeed the case!

Hope this helps!

It also helps that I spent a good chunk of my life designing and building antenna arrays; I can recognize them in a second!

Your powers are weakening, however. You see, I mentioned your name in vain on another thread a couple of days ago, and you and your skunk ops operatives did not even detect the utterance of your name!

Hope this helps!

Your powers are weakening, however. You see, I mentioned your name in vain on another thread a couple of days ago, and you and your skunk ops operatives did not even detect the utterance of your name!

Well, no. You see, if I had responded, your feeble effort would not have been in vain. I allowed you the illusion of victory.

... which thread?

Interesting that there are no roads leading to them.

There are roads, but they're narrow and covered by trees. The trees are fairly tall and the satellite angle is fairly steep. See how much of the WIDE road in sbell's picture is covered? I can see at least one track that is continuous through the property (from the upper right near the circle turn-around, then south, then south-west-ish to the pullout visible from the western road). The array centered on the coords in the OP appears to be reached from a separate turn-out at N35° 58.528, W079° 5.706.

Hope this helps!

Well, no. You see, if I had responded, your feeble effort would not have been in vain. I allowed you the illusion of victory.

... which thread?

On the "Twitter Me This, Batman" thread!

Interesting that there are no roads leading to them.

There are roads, but they're narrow and covered by trees. The trees are fairly tall and the satellite angle is fairly steep. See how much of the WIDE road in sbell's picture is covered? I can see at least one track that is continuous through the property (from the upper right near the circle turn-around, then south, then south-west-ish to the pullout visible from the western road). The array centered on the coords in the OP appears to be reached from a separate turn-out at N35° 58.528, W079° 5.706.

Yes, and, in any case, such curtain arrays need very little maintenance once they have been erected. They are usually fed via underground runs of coaxial cable, and again, the cable installations usually neeed little maintenance, either, once they have been installed.

Agent StumpWater reporting back as ordered. Alas, I am afraid this is an alien-free area. Sigh.

Here's my report:

1. I drove out to the area after work to have a look around. The small, unpaved road that heads up toward the field is right off of Eubanks Rd. (off of Airport Rd., off of I-40, in Chapel Hill, NC). I was stopped short at the entrance to the dirt road by these signs:

DSCN1420-1.jpg

DSCN1421-1.jpg

2. OK, bummer. Can't proceed. Duke Forest is very sensitive about trespassers and about geocachers (having withdrawn permission for placement of caches on all Duke Forest land a couple years ago). Fair enough, it's their land and therefore they have the right to do that. So I'm limited to web-based research.

3. So, I Google "Duke Forest Facts 1 research facility". Apparently, this is:

"The Forest-Atmosphere Carbon Transfer and Storage (FACTS-I) facility is located in the Blackwood Division of the Duke Forest. It consists of four free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) plots that provide elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration and four plots that provide ambient CO2 control. The system has been in operation since June, 1994 in the prototype plot, and since August, 1996 in the three additional plots. The prototype plot and its reference were halved with a barrier inserted in the soil in 1998 to conduct, together with five additional plot pairs, CO2 X soil nutrient enrichment experiments. The rest of the plots were partitioned in early 2005 and incorporated into the CO2 X nutrient experiment. To increase statistical power, four additional ambient plots were established in January, 2005, halved, and one half of each fertilized. Core funding for the Duke Forest FACE Facility has been provided by the Office of Science (BER), U.S. Department of Energy."

Here is a map of the area, showing the nature of each ring:

ringslarge.jpg

Here is a view of one ring:

ringscloseup.jpg

Apparently, each element of a ring is called a "gas port":

gassport.jpg

Lots more info can be found here:

http://face.env.duke.edu/main.cfm

And cool pics here:

http://face.env.duke.edu/images.cfm

At least, that's the nature of the elaborate NSA/CIA/GSAK/KGB cover-up of this obvious alien communication facility.

Agent StumpWater, signing off.

Agent StumpWater reporting back as ordered. Alas, I am afraid this is an alien-free area. Sigh.

Here's my report:

1. I drove out to the area after work to have a look around. The small, unpaved road that heads up toward the field is right off of Eubanks Rd. (off of Airport Rd., off of I-40, in Chapel Hill, NC). I was stopped short at the entrance to the dirt road by these signs:

[image]

[image]

2. OK, bummer. Can't proceed. Duke Forest is very sensitive about trespassers and about geocachers (having withdrawn permission for placement of caches on all Duke Forest land a couple years ago). Fair enough, it's their land and therefore they have the right to do that. So I'm limited to web-based research.

"The Forest-Atmosphere Carbon Transfer and Storage (FACTS-I) facility is located in the Blackwood Division of the Duke Forest. It consists of four free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) plots that provide elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration and four plots that provide ambient CO2 control. The system has been in operation since June, 1994 in the prototype plot, and since August, 1996 in the three additional plots. The prototype plot and its reference were halved with a barrier inserted in the soil in 1998 to conduct, together with five additional plot pairs, CO2 X soil nutrient enrichment experiments. The rest of the plots were partitioned in early 2005 and incorporated into the CO2 X nutrient experiment. To increase statistical power, four additional ambient plots were established in January, 2005, halved, and one half of each fertilized. Core funding for the Duke Forest FACE Facility has been provided by the Office of Science (BER), U.S. Department of Energy."

[image]

[image]

[image]

And cool pics here:

At least, that's the nature of the elaborate NSA/CIA/GSAK/KGB cover-up of this obvious alien communication facility.

Fascinating report! Thank you! Each circular array looks quite a bit like a phased circular curtain array (antenna), and so I am sure that some of the conspiracy theorists are gonna pop up and claim that the carbon storage research facility story is just a cover-up!

Thats just a lot of fancy talk to cover up the truth of the matter. Dept of energy huh? I've seen some thier other facilities, they all have some things in common: remote location, restricted entrance, overly elaborate cover story, there's a lot more that you CAN'T see.

Try driving in some time. If the response that turns you away seems WAY over the top, you have your answer.

BTW- Just by talking about this and listing the project site, we all have had NSA files opened on us. Well I've had one for years, but the rest of you are on the radar now too.

BTW- Just by talking about this and listing the project site, we all have had NSA files opened on us. Well I've had one for years, but the rest of you are on the radar now too.

Wow, thanks for the warning. Now I'm glad I've never posted a reply in this thread.

Uh oh. Now I've gone and done it. :)

Where's that "unsend" button when you need it?

--Larry

:D:D:):D:):angry:

Here's my report:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

And cool pics here:

Fascinating report! Thank you! Each circular array looks quite a bit like a phased circular curtain array (antenna), and so I am sure that some of the conspiracy theorists are gonna pop up and claim that the carbon storage research facility story is just a cover-up!

I have a very strange update for you. Despite the discovery and assertion that this site was merely a CO2 gas storage/sequestration research facility, the images of the towers show something that looked way too sophisticated to me for it to be merely what was claimed. Also, I worked as a consultant last year on a CO2 soil/vegetation storage research project in Australia, and that setup looked NOTHING like the strange array of antenna-like towers that we see in the fotos for the NC site. So, I have since sent fotos of the site and the article about the site to two friends who are top PhD atmospheric scientists, and they both feel that the array installations do not look at all realistic or appropriate for a CO2 storage research project, and rather, they both feel that the site is some kind of top-secret telecommunications facility, or perhaps something even weirder.

Thats just a lot of fancy talk to cover up the truth of the matter. Dept of energy huh? I've seen some thier other facilities, they all have some things in common: remote location, restricted entrance, overly elaborate cover story, there's a lot more that you CAN'T see.

I agree. This site is waaay too over-the-top to be merely what is claimed.

Not a problem for me; I am sure that NSA already has a file on me, due to my research work with time-space portals and interdimensional portals; I remain one of only three scientists in the western world who has rendered consulting on time-space portals.

I have actually seen the facility in question, up close and personal. Not by trespassing, but on an official tour offered by Duke Forest. The funny thing is how low-tech it seems once you are on the site. Yes, there are those towers towering over you, but scientists actually go there weekly and manually measure the diameters of hundreds of trees. And there are lots of little surveyor flags with magic-marker-handwritten notes about people's research projects, buckets that are left over from somebody's cat litter, trowels lying around on the ground .. It almost looks like a place where children have been playing in the dirt.

Not a problem for me; I am sure that NSA already has a file on me, due to my research work with time-space portals and interdimensional portals; I remain one of only three scientists in the western world who has rendered consulting on time-space portals.

You should see the file we have on you.

As anyone can see, in the current google aerial photo (it's not a satellite photo), and the plan that someone posted, several of those structures have not yet been built. The photo can perhaps be a year old.

This airplane was flying over a site near where I want to place a cache, sometime in the summer of 07 1.5 years ago.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=42....mp;t=h&z=18

Edited to say this was supposed to be a quote of 'trainlove' but apparently I don't know how to do quotes: "As anyone can see, in the current google aerial photo (it's not a satellite photo), and the plan that someone posted, several of those structures have not yet been built. The photo can perhaps be a year old."

Yep, except there's no "yet," because the research at this site is winding down. DOE decided they don't have the money to continue the research to the extent that the researchers would like.

Another interesting fact (to me, anyway) is that this Duke forest site was only one site in a larger study. This was the southern forest site. There is also a northern forest site, at least one desert site, and I forget what all else.

And finally, this research foiled the local government in its plan to use eminent domain a few years ago to turn these woods into a landfill. Duke got the federal government to say the research was needed for national security or something, so the local govt couldn't touch it. (Hmm, I wonder whether they have noticed that the research is winding down ..)

Edited by mossyfeet

You should see the file we have on you.

:D:ph34r::ph34r:

:(:(

:o

:huh:

:):)

Here's my report:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

And cool pics here:

I have a very strange update for you. Despite the discovery and assertion that this site was merely a CO2 gas storage/sequestration research facility, the images of the towers show something that looked way too sophisticated to me for it to be merely what was claimed. Also, I worked as a consultant last year on a CO2 soil/vegetation storage research project in Australia, and that setup looked NOTHING like the strange array of antenna-like towers that we see in the fotos for the NC site. So, I have since sent fotos of the site and the article about the site to two friends who are top PhD atmospheric scientists, and they both feel that the array installations do not look at all realistic or appropriate for a CO2 storage research project, and rather, they both feel that the site is some kind of top-secret telecommunications facility, or perhaps something even weirder.

Most telecommunications antennae would be in a cleared area, and a 'telecommunication research station' does not need to be hidden - in fact that would be very difficult. This one, local to me, is actually just off of the approach path to the airport.

112d0af0-07f5-40fd-8cd7-1803b3a313ab.jpg

Also, note the cleared area around and within the ring. I supose that makes security easier, but I believe that the level terrain has an effect on their signal, not to mention the difficulty of actually trying to bury cable to a suitable depth with tree roots in the way. If the trees were allowed to grow up after installation, all that careful setup and alignment would be tossed away as the trees' roots slowly shift the foundations.

I vote for the alien docking station. Whatever exotic technologies they are using most likely are not bothered by the considerations that I have raised.

:angry:

Not gonna tell ya what's there....just where & let y'all look it up for your own eyes. For some more Carolina weirdness check satellite/maps around these coords, including this oddly laid-out town with an even more oddly laid-out name:

36.5345 -76.2475

& nearby, just NNW, at these rather 'coincidental' coords:

36.5500 -76.2575

~*

N 35 58.508, W 79 05.654

Perhaps it's obvious what they are and I'll feel silly when I read the answer, but ... ?

There are 5 of them in that field.

StumpWater

There's two more in the field to the north, and it looks like there could be a sixth one in the south field that is partly obscured.

Not gonna tell ya what's there....just where & let y'all look it up for your own eyes. For some more Carolina weirdness check satellite/maps around these coords, including this oddly laid-out town with an even more oddly laid-out name:

36.5345 -76.2475

36.5500 -76.2575

~*

The first place is where they filmed the Truman movie! :D I wonder if those people working at the other circular place live in this circular place. Although the buildings in the lower area don't really look like houses. Just looked again and it looks like a trailer park! Somebody needs to make a driveby and see what our government is up to! -_-

Area on the Virginia/NC border is the U.S. Navy Northwest Radio Station

Edited by KJcachers

36.5345 -76.2475

36.5500 -76.2575

~*

The first place is where they filmed the Truman movie! :D I wonder if those people working at the other circular place live in this circular place. Although the buildings in the lower area don't really look like houses. Just looked again and it looks like a trailer park! Somebody needs to make a driveby and see what our government is up to! -_-

Area on the Virginia/NC border is the U.S. Navy Northwest Radio Station

By Googling a little, (is that an acceptable verb now?) I found pictures of the Northwest Station, with a circular array that strongly resembles the picture I posted above (post 37). Google 'wullenweber' to get more links and the Wiki entry. There is another site in Sugar Grove WV that, although not quite designed for the same task, has a similar look.

See also GC13GEH.

I can't find the name of the town itself, but I wonder if it is built on a former base - or was somebody just exercising their creativity?

I have not played with goog;e earth much, so, can anyone tell me why this area looks like it is covered in a VERY well defined snow storm. Straight lines on the edges and all

36 37.5798 75 57.3209

Thanks.

That is the result of stitching together photos taken at different times of the year. There are a few of those in my area as well.