Harassment by Cache Owner- What are my options?

Lady Coot

I find it arrogant anyone would require only one particular language used in any log. It's a tad ironic that it's an American as well since a goodly portion of those same Americans go into a foreign country and get upset when the waiter, server, or menu or what have you they get doesn't speak English. I know this from personal experience and as such feel it reflects poorly on the American culture as a whole. Frankly I don't care what language any of my caches are logged in as long as the visit took place and the log is signed.

My advice in this situation is simply this. Know that you were there and had a great time with the benefit of a real smilie. Leave the cache owner to whatever narrow mindedness is his or hers and simply ignore the rest of their caches and continue to have fun. Just my two bits.

That's great news. So I suppose the forum discussion should end in another 2-3 pages by Sunday?

I spoke with my favorite psychic, Miss Cleo, and she predicts that this thread won't end until someone she would only identify as "TG" makes a reasonably ambiguous and helpful post, after which a group she labels "The Tres Amigos" will dissect it endlessly, twisting his/her post until it's no longer recognizable, so they can continue to rail against it. One of the Moderators, (she wouldn't say which one), will issue two warnings, and will then lock the thread :)

According to her this will happen Thursday, at 3:06pm, Eastern Standard Time. :blink:

Back on topic: While I do agree that the EC owner is getting way too uptight about the incoming logs, I gotta side with the majority and say it's his/her cache, and they can be as boorish as they wish. If I faced a similar dilemma, I would work with the owner, correcting my log to meet their standards, unless those standards happened to offend me for some reason, at which point I would consider it a learning experience, and walk away. :laughing:

i prefer that cachers log my caches in their native languages if they aren't comfortable in english.

it would be arrogant for me to be anglo-centric, and i want finders to be comfortable. i also want them to tell the story the best they can.

before i became brain damaged i could read and write in passable french, as well as make small talk and change, as one might do if one worked in retail. i had pretty good skills in spanish and enough italian to be able to order in restaurants.

my quebecois neighbors often write out every log in french and english, but i sometimes wonder if their logs would be more interesting if they just wrote them in their language of choice.

i don't believe it's actually harassment unless the CO comes and finds you. denying your log on the basis of some "ism" would be discriminatory, but not harassment.

i don't see evidence of discrimination here, either. uptightness, maybe. discrimination, no.

Then again, I have been treated very nicely by the owners of the EarthCaches that I've found. If a photo if required, I post it. If a description is required, I supply it. (Which way is the river flowing now?) I do have problems with depth perception. Estimate the height of the cliff. 20 feet? Nope. It's 70', but thanks for visiting (Photo showed that I was there.) Not to mention the one where I screwed up the math something fierce! Oh, well. Required photo showed I was there!

But, there are cache owners with whom I do not seem to get along. They go on my ignore list. And that is my suggestion. Cache owner gives you a hard time? Ignore.

I don't like getting logs with other than english and I am far too lazy (and don't really know where to look) to change logs to english if written otherwise! If the owner wants these things, that's their choice! While I'd not delete the posts, I might ask for translation. You might keep in mind some people are pretty much computer ignorant!!!

In the year 2009 I just can't accept that somebody able to figure out how to a) use a GPS receiver, :blink: sign up for an account on this website, and c) post a cache hide is "computer ignorant" to point of not being able to use "the google on the internets" and find an online translation.

Regardless if they don't recognize the language at first glance.

If a hider is going to make the posting language an ALR then it needs to be listed on the cache page before the hider makes an issue of it. Not after deleting a find it and then adding it to the page.

(I'm not directing that specifically at you, Roddy. I did read that you would ask for a translation and not delete the log.)

Thumbs up to the OP for moving on to other hides and putting it behind her and her partner.

I can read a cache page in english, find a cache, and log it. But even though I was told it was Austrian (didn't recognise it myself) I can't translate it completely with a free translator. I may just be dumber than a box of rocks, can you tell me what the english translation is? But then again why should the CO have to go to the trouble of translating when the cache page is in english?

some folks here are missing the point, this is NOT a regular cache.

Earthcaches have specific requirements, if someone logs a cache and does it in a different language, with an emailed answer in that same language its more work for the cache owner.

For a regular cache, whatever language is and should be ok.

But for something like an Earthcache or Puzzle or anything requiring an answer to CO, the logger SHOULD respond in the native tongue of the CO, why should we make it difficult on the CO?

If I cached in Germany and logged an Earthcache and answered a query I can just as EASILY use the recommended translators (Kenny, not withstanding)

Again, if you don't like the requirements of the cache move on, like TV just change the channel.

Ah...Forums!

Where else can you see a large and unflattering picture of yourself, er... that you wish you did not have to post to begin with? :blink:

Just to clarify, out of the three Earthcahes in question:

1. The photo server on Groundspeak was down while we tried to originally upload our pictures. We also provided more geological information about the area formations in addition to the required answers.

We let the cache owner know about the photo difficulties. I received an email saying my info was great. Logs soon deleted. ACK. The "English only" and other all-caps info was added yesterday, 2 weeks after we visited the EC's and originally logged our find.

2. Info provided again, pictures uploaded. Logs deleted.

3. More of the same. CO infers I am lying about my visit, and the next day says it is obvious that both Lady Coot and I visited the caches. Emails from CO are rude, not curt. I know rude- they were rude.

4. Logs deleted again, even after explaining exactly what the the foreign language in the log translated into. BTW- I have left and received logs in languages other than English.

5. New email threatening to delete logs again received this morning. I want to make it clear that the CO said my logs were acceptable yesterday. I know a handful of cachers who have gone after the same CO's earthcahes, with similar experiences.

Did I mention that the CO indicated that he did not take coordinates, or gather the info about the 3 EC's in-question himself? It's true, well, that's what the CO told me, anyway.

I am not a delicate flower (my uniform was adorned with many of the same medals and awards as the CO's. I get the "attention to detail" thing), but the CO's rules are changing hourly, which is almost humorous. ALMOST.

Again, the original logs were in English. The German and French posts (It is easy to enjoy the strength and beauty... hope the third time is a charm) were posted after meeting requirements... twice, the CO deleted twice, prior to the english only stipulation.

I love Geocaching, and have met some wonderful people during my short time as a cacher. Is there anything better than caching with family and /or friends? What a great community! Lady Coot and I have plucked up enough courage to host a couple of events, and look forward to meeting more great people along the way. I wish the CO and everyone else out there well!

Happy Caching!

Edited by isisfan

Ah...Forums!

Where else can you see a large and unflattering picture of yourself, er... that you wish you did not have to post to begin with? :ph34r:

1. The photo server on Groundspeak was down while we tried to originally upload our pictures. We also provided more geological information about the area formations in addition to the required answers.

We let the cache owner know about the photo difficulties. I received an email saying my info was great. Logs soon deleted. ACK. The "English only" and other all-caps info was added yesterday, 2 weeks after we visited the EC's and originally logged our find.

3. More of the same. CO infers I am lying about my visit, and the next day says it is obvious that both Lady Coot and I visited the caches. Emails from CO are rude, not curt. I know rude- they were rude.

4. Logs deleted again, even after explaining exactly what the the foreign language in the log translated into. BTW- I have left and received logs in languages other than English.

5. New email threatening to delete logs again received this morning. I want to make it clear that the CO said my logs were acceptable yesterday. I know a handful of cachers who have gone after the same CO's earthcahes, with similar experiences.

Did I mention that the CO indicated that he did not take coordinates, or gather the info about the 3 EC's in-question himself? It's true, well, that's what the CO told me, anyway.

I am not a delicate flower (my uniform was adorned with many of the same medals and awards as the CO's. I get the "attention to detail" thing), but the CO's rules are changing hourly, which is almost humorous. ALMOST.

Again, the original logs were in English. The German and French posts (It is easy to enjoy the strength and beauty... hope the third time is a charm) were posted after meeting requirements... twice, the CO deleted twice, prior to the english only stipulation.

I love Geocaching, and have met some wonderful people during my short time as a cacher. Is there anything better than caching with family and /or friends? What a great community! Lady Coot and I have plucked up enough courage to host a couple of events, and look forward to meeting more great people along the way. I wish the CO and everyone else out there well!

Happy Caching!

This has a simple solution. Don't be retarded, forget about it and move on to you next find. I'm starting to thing you/both thrive on controversy. Take is somewhere else.

Edited by irish23

Looks like the Groundspeak photo server has been working all day, why not just post a correct photo and change the log so the CO can read it, but then again perhapes you like drama.

I heard a saying from a old Viet Nam vet once who was a commo tech, and think this applies "you are coming in broken and stupid... over"

Ah...Forums!

Where else can you see a large and unflattering picture of yourself, er... that you wish you did not have to post to begin with? :ph34r:

Happy Caching!

Ah...Forums!

Fixed.
golookitupyourself.jpg
FWIW, I didn't think it was a bad picture.
I find this interesting. Mainly because the question of if the CO had ever visited the sites popped into my head when I read the following on each of the cache pages:
I have used sources available to me by using google search to get information for this earth cache. I am by no means a geologist. I use books, internet, and asking questions about geology just like 99.9 percent of the geocachers who create these great Earth Caches.
Interesting, n'est pas? (That was French. Oh, and for anyone reading this: languages are always Capitalized! If I could remember who kept typing "english" and "french" etc, I might point fingers, but I don't and am too lazy to go back and find it...)
Again, the original logs were in English. The German and French posts (It is easy to enjoy the strength and beauty... hope the third time is a charm) were posted after meeting requirements...
Thanks for the translation. I actually got the French part right! Mr. Corson would be so proud...

(See? Isisfan knows how to capitalize languages!)

Happy Caching!

Happy caching to you, too! :lol:
Whichever one of you is the tall one on the right looks like a twin to a co-worker's wife. Maybe you're her doppelganger?
Since I dug through the logs and found that pic (which is gone from this thread now...) I can say with some certainty that Lady Coot is on the left, Isisfan is on the right. Edited by Too Tall John
I find this interesting. Mainly because the question of if the CO had ever visited the sites popped into my head when I read the following on each of the cache pages:
I have used sources available to me by using google search to get information for this earth cache. I am by no means a geologist. I use books, internet, and asking questions about geology just like 99.9 percent of the geocachers who create these great Earth Caches.
Interesting, n'est pas?

I'm missing where suspicions would be valid that the CO didn't visit the site.

When I waymark, I'm by no means an expert on 99% of anything I'm writing a waymark for. I have visited the site and marked my coords using my handheld GPS receiver. I have taken my photographs on site. But I would have to contact experts, use the internet and read books to catch up on what I need to know to write the waymark.

I will normally defend a cache owner's right to add whatever requirements they want to on their cache page. But it does seem that the request to post only in English was added to the cache page after this situation arose, so I wonder what the motivation really was? I've only found caches in two continents and five countries so far; I'm jealous of you funnynose. I understand the need for certain verifications to log EC's, but I was able to complete the requirements for virtuals by posting in English only, and I thank the gracious owners of those caches for not forcing me to rely on the generally unreliable internet translation machines. Here's what the ENGLISH ONLY demand looks like after being translated into German and back again.

ASK READ! ITS an OWNER of ANY KIND OF BUFFER MEMORY CAN ACTUALLY BE a JOURNEY WITH the BESUCHERwho MASCHINENBORDBUCH the BUFFER MEMORIES, IS IT PROPERTY an EXPERIENCE OR a BAD. I NOW DEMAND MACHINE LOG ENTRIES ONLY IN ENGLISH EFFECTIVE ONE 8 January 2009. IF IT THE EC IN ANY LANGUAGE DIFFERENTLY THAN ENGLISH LOGGING, BEFORE THE TASK OF REQUEST I FOR IT, THE LANGUAGE TO ME BY EMAIL TO TRANSLATING. IF IT THE ACRONYMS USING, WHICH ONLY ADMITS IS, BEFORE THE TASK AGAIN REQUEST I FOR A DEFINITION. DISTURBANCE, the INFORMED log gene requirements TO CONSEQUENCES RESULTS IN a MACHINE LOG BOOK OMISSION.
:lol::ph34r:

Some people just like to suck the FUN out of geocaching for others just to maintain their own agendas. They think that is fun I guess?

ASK READ! ITS an OWNER of ANY KIND OF BUFFER MEMORY CAN ACTUALLY BE a JOURNEY WITH the BESUCHERwho MASCHINENBORDBUCH the BUFFER MEMORIES, IS IT PROPERTY an EXPERIENCE OR a BAD. I NOW DEMAND MACHINE LOG ENTRIES ONLY IN ENGLISH EFFECTIVE ONE 8 January 2009. IF IT THE EC IN ANY LANGUAGE DIFFERENTLY THAN ENGLISH LOGGING, BEFORE THE TASK OF REQUEST I FOR IT, THE LANGUAGE TO ME BY EMAIL TO TRANSLATING. IF IT THE ACRONYMS USING, WHICH ONLY ADMITS IS, BEFORE THE TASK AGAIN REQUEST I FOR A DEFINITION. DISTURBANCE, the INFORMED log gene requirements TO CONSEQUENCES RESULTS IN a MACHINE LOG BOOK OMISSION.

All depends which language you translate from and to.

In this iteration it sounds like the cache owner will do it for you :lol::):ph34r:

Read! May be good or bad experience with cash or passenger flight landed in the same type of memory cache. , 2009 January 8, I will harvest a record effective only in English. If you are in a language other than English, signed the European Commission, I have to change your language, I received a publication, please e-mail. If you only know your request by using the initial implementation of the previous definition again. The failure will remove the logs to comply with the rules of the registration book.

While it's fine to defend your friend the cache owner, using phrases like "coming in broken and stupid" is not consistent with our forum guidelines regarding personal attacks.

Let's have a polite discussion. Thanks.

Is using the pharse "Don't be retarded" is not consistent with our forum guidelines regarding personal attacks.

Let's not single out certain posters. Thanks. :ph34r:

Interesting, n'est pas?

I'm missing where suspicions would be valid that the CO didn't visit the site.

I'm not actually saying the phrase would make that suspicion pop into anyone's head, but that it did for me, and then when Isisfan says "that the CO indicated that he did not take coordinates, or gather the info about the 3 EC's in-question himself", it made me go "Ah-ha!"

That is all.

I just received an email from the CO, Cav Scout. In fairness to him, I think all participants in the thread should be able to read what he had to say. Here's the pertinent part of the email:

I lived in Colorado Springs six years. I been to the site and marked the coordinates when I was TDY 2007 at Fort Carson. What I told Isisfan is that the park naturalist requested I mark the coordinates for Kissing Camels at the location he wanted, I complied because he was the one giving me permission to list the ECs.

The folks at earthcache society verify the listings.

His response when I asked if I could repeat this:
I don't mind. You can also mention that I do not discriminate against foreign languages. Isisfan posted three different times in Austrian or German. The first Austrian posting mentioned bowel movements in German, this is of course after I deleted her log when she failed to post a picture fours day after finding the EC. Every foreign cacher that has ever found one of my ECs has contacted me and logged the finds in English. She is from the USA, and just being difficult. As of today her logs are still posted.
Not sure what the "bowel movements" comment could have been, sounds like a claim that should be checked by someone who can see the archived logs.

I just received an email from the CO, Cav Scout. In fairness to him, I think all participants in the thread should be able to read what he had to say. Here's the pertinent part of the email:

I lived in Colorado Springs six years. I been to the site and marked the coordinates when I was TDY 2007 at Fort Carson. What I told Isisfan is that the park naturalist requested I mark the coordinates for Kissing Camels at the location he wanted, I complied because he was the one giving me permission to list the ECs.

The folks at earthcache society verify the listings.

His response when I asked if I could repeat this:
I don't mind. You can also mention that I do not discriminate against foreign languages. Isisfan posted three different times in Austrian or German. The first Austrian posting mentioned bowel movements in German, this is of course after I deleted her log when she failed to post a picture fours day after finding the EC. Every foreign cacher that has ever found one of my ECs has contacted me and logged the finds in English. She is from the USA, and just being difficult. As of today her logs are still posted.
Not sure what the "bowel movements" comment could have been, sounds like a claim that should be checked by someone who can see the archived logs.

:rolleyes:<_<

Some of you have come up with varying ideas as to what is taking place here but, and unless i missed it somewhere in this thread, the reason the CO does not want to accept the OP's find logs is very simple. The cache listing's requirement wasn't fulfilled. The OP stated herself that she couldn't get a picture of them in front of the kissing camels because the area leading up to them was closed. The picture she submitted in this thread proved that.

We can banter all day long about how close the OP had gotten to the site, that it's not her fault that the area was closed, that the CO is or is not anal for not accepting the OP's log without the proper requirement, etc, etc,,,. The bottom line is that it's the CO's cache. He has it laid out a certain way and wants to run it that certain way. There is nothing wrong with him not wanting to "give in" because some cachers couldn't quite fulfill the requirement. <_<

As far as the harrassing emails,, What's harassment to some, is not to others. Even with the OP's copy and paste, there's just not enough information here in this thread for the rest of us to comment on... :rolleyes:

Interesting the CO, Cav Scout, chooses not to make an appearance here. He certainly doesn't have any problem giving his input when we discuss the very topic in the EarthCache forum.

I, for one, really like to hear from all the parties involved first hand. Really cuts to the quick in a most expeditious manor.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

I just read the post where the CO said I recorded a log about bowel movements. My log said that having to re-log so many times was giving me a stomach ache, and it was not in Austrian. I let the CO know this.

This was after my log for Chief Ute EC was deleted the second time, or maybe it was the 3rd, after meeting all requirements twice. I'm starting to loose track.

No one enjoys being accused of something they did not do, which is what happened repeatedly to me by the CO. The name calling on this thread is also disheartening.

Edited by isisfan

Maybe he doesn't think this thread is worth his while. I'm sure there is better things to do than point fingers at others. :rolleyes: If you check the earthcache pages that they visited they where aloud to log them after the requirements was made.

Unfortunately, even after all of the requirements were made, the logs were deleted, again and again. Both Lady Coot and I received emails from the CO Friday saying that all of our logs were going to be deleted again.

That is what spurred her to ask for help from the geocaching community.

If I could remember who kept typing "english" and "french" etc, I might point fingers
it was me, dude.

you got a problem with my complete failure to use capital letters?

Flask, my dear, it was not you. <_<

Well, it was you, but you were not who I was referring to, since I understand the reason for your use (or lack of use) of caps. The people I refer to (and I did go back and look after your post but decided not to point fingers) seem to practice proper capitalization in other situations. One of them needs to work on his use of punctuation, though. :rolleyes:

If I could remember who kept typing "english" and "french" etc, I might point fingers
it was me, dude.

you got a problem with my complete failure to use capital letters?

Flask, my dear, it was not you. :blink:

Well, it was you, but you were not who I was referring to, since I understand the reason for your use (or lack of use) of caps. The people I refer to (and I did go back and look after your post but decided not to point fingers) seem to practice proper capitalization in other situations. One of them needs to work on his use of punctuation, though. <_<

I plead guilty of typing "english" several times, but I didn't use French or french. I will no longer log caches that require Proper capitalizatioN and throw myself on the mercy of the board. :rolleyes:

Interesting the CO, Cav Scout, chooses not to make an appearance here. He certainly doesn't have any problem giving his input when we discuss the very topic in the EarthCache forum.

I, for one, really like to hear from all the parties involved first hand. Really cuts to the quick in a most expeditious manor.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Maybe they should of posted it there themselves? :rolleyes:

That is what spurred her to ask for help from the geocaching community.

People enjoy geocaching for many different reasons.

Everyone will focus on a different aspect of your adventure.

You certainly encountered a unique set of circumstances!

If your picture did not contain the elements required your explanation that the area was closed for re-vegetation would have seemed very clear to me. If your photo matched the terrain so I could tell you were there and your log updated my information on the site re: area closed for revegetation I would have made a note to thank you on the cache page and let others would know that they could post a similar picture until the area was re-opened, that is my "take" on things but it isn't my cache and I have never even been there.

When I want to log a cache onlilne I will make sure I can fulfill every requirement requested by the cache owner. I was at the Pebble Beach Earthcache in Marathon, Ontario this summer and I did not have the required tool to complete the cache, I needed a fish scale or something similar to weigh three of the rocks from the beach. Since I could not complete the requested requirement I didn't bother logging the cache online, I have lots of pictures because it is a really cool place. I benefited from the description on the cache page and I saw a very neat site, it was educational even without a log.

I know that doesn't help but as least you know that there are a lot of different viewpoints!

Earthcaches have specific requirements, if someone logs a cache and does it in a different language, with an emailed answer in that same language its more work for the cache owner.

But for something like an Earthcache or Puzzle or anything requiring an answer to CO, the logger SHOULD respond in the native tongue of the CO, why should we make it difficult on the CO?

If I cached in Germany and logged an Earthcache and answered a query I can just as EASILY use the recommended translators (Kenny, not withstanding)

Again, if you don't like the requirements of the cache move on, like TV just change the channel.

There has been no indication that the email with the required answers to the EC were sent in any language other than English. The language usage was in the "found it" post- and had nothing to do with the requirements listed in the cache page.

There has been no indication that the email with the required answers to the EC were sent in any language other than English. The language usage was in the "found it" post- and had nothing to do with the requirements listed in the cache page.

It has been previously stated that due to the verification requirement, owners of earth caches should be extravigilent to ensure that there are no spoilers in the logs. Failure to do so could result in cache archival.

It has been previously stated that due to the verification requirement, owners of earth caches should be extravigilent to ensure that there are no spoilers in the logs. Failure to do so could result in cache archival.

Fair enough and good point.

What was the phrase? I scanned through the thread and didn't see it posted. Let me see what a quick translation the interweb comes up with.

EDIT: buttaskotch's post it what I was responding to. She seemed to indicate that the emailed answer being in a non-English language was an issue. This was not the case. Perhaps I misunderstood her point.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I find it arrogant anyone would require only one particular language used in any log. It's a tad ironic that it's an American as well since a goodly portion of those same Americans go into a foreign country and get upset when the waiter, server, or menu or what have you they get doesn't speak English.

I only have an issue when a Brit doesn't understand American. "Juz gimme 'm check!"

As an American cacher living in Sweden I would urge all cache hiders to be tolerant of other languages. While I speak english (both american and british) and swedish (and german) it is not uncommon to find any number of languages in the logs (to include earthcaches) Now that the EU has expanded, I have seen Polish, Bulgarian, German (and Dutch/German, Swiss/German, and Austrian/German), French, Norwegian, Finnish, Litauanian, Spanish, Japaise, Chinese and once Russian, etc, languanges in log books. I have never seen or heard of a single cache in Europe requiring a specific language to be logged.

It's really kind of cool to know that this is one hobby that has a truly world wide following!

What's more rewarding than knowing that a cacher from another country has spent their time and effort to find just your cache!

Happy Caching

(Edited after I calmed down.... Thank you)

I realize I'm chiming in on this really, really late in the thread, but I wanted to throw in my 2c.

From time to time, a cache finder and a cache owner will be at odds for one reason or another. One of the parties may not even be aware that the conflict exists.

If the conflict ends up in the forums, there's a good chance that will exacerbate whatever is going on, rather than alleviate it.

In most cases, if you can't work it out one-on-one with the other party, it's best to let it rest, and bring it up much later, hoping for resolution. Time cures most things. If that doesn't work, just forget the whole thing, and move on. Life is too short for angst.

Challenging the CO over one smiley on one hide isn't worth the fallout, in most cases. The only time I can think that it might be worth it to press for resolution involving a third party mediator is if the deleted log was a final find on a large-scale challenge completion.

Again, just my 2c worth. (No need to make change. :laughing: )