Sock Puppet Account to place caches with

WatchDog2020

With all the talk of 'bomb squads' blowing up caches. Cache owners being responsible for the costs and possible criminal charges. Does anyone use a Sock Puppet account to place caches with.

********* This is NOT an ASKING PERMISSION Question ***********

Even properly placed caches could fall into the urban panic of an unknown device being located. LETS ASSUME the cache Follows All Guidlines.

What is the question? and how does it relate to 'bomb squads' (and why do you use apostrophes around bomb squads?)

In my household there are 4 accounts, 2 geocachers. I wouldn't call any of the accounts "sock puppets".

I suspect that if there were a serious legal issue that any of those accounts could be traced to the owner, any one of them. One just as easily as another.

What is the question? and how does it relate to 'bomb squads' (and why do you use apostrophes around bomb squads?)

In my household there are 4 accounts, 2 geocachers. I wouldn't call any of the accounts "sock puppets".

I suspect that if there were a serious legal issue that any of those accounts could be traced to the owner, any one of them. One just as easily as another.

Question = Does anyone use a Sock Puppet account to place caches with.

No, not all accounts could be easily traced. Life is not an 1hr TV crime show. A lap top bought with cash at WW in an open wireless foot print would be almost impossible to trace a post. But I wont get into the 'hows' of that. the question is simple. Does anyone use a Sock Puppet account to place caches with.

Edited by WatchDog2020

No, I don't. There are people who have a 'caching' account and a 'cache placing' account, but not for reasons of avoiding responsibility. Quite useless, I'd say, since you need permission of ground owners, so 'the officials' should know who placed the cache anyway.

No, not all accounts could be easily traced. Life is not an 1hr TV crime show. A lap top bought with cash at WW in an open wireless foot print would be almost impossible to trace a post. But I wont get into the 'hows' of that. the question is simple. Does anyone use a Sock Puppet account to place caches with.

Yes, I know many people that have 'sock puppet' accounts that are the owners of caches. Do I know who the real person is behind the 'sock'?, in some cases yes I do. In other cases, no. Will I tell who they are in this forum, no I won't.

Anyone legally and responsibly placing a cache should have no need to use fake names to hide behind. Do you know someone planning to place an irresponsible or illegal cache?

I have found caches hidden illegally.

I found one cache hidden by a sock puppet account in a location that was clearly posted as no trespassing. Not only was it posted the owner of the land was really paranoid about trespassers and had numerous signs and locked gates.

The cache placer had waded across the river from a public location and placed the cache on the other side on private posted land, the cache was visible and other finders were encouraged to do something similar. Several geocachers logged the cache by "seeing" it, not a bad idea given the circumstances. I managed to enter the land legally by obtaining permission to "search for a survey benchmarks". I went in wearing my work clothes, safety vest etc... so I looked official. I am officially an idiot sometimes. :D

The cache was gone, likely had been gone for awhile as it was a very poor placement on top of a large rock on the edge of the river. The cache hider could have argued it was "in the river" and technically I suppose it was. The problem that the cache placer created was very real, lots of people looked for "dry" access.

I filed an SBA on the cache and it has never been replaced.

It sounds like you're asking someone that has gone to a great deal of trouble in order to remain anonymous, to freely admit what they've done in the public forum and out themselves.

My guess is, anyone that has done this isn't going to answer your question (statement) with a "yes".

It sounds like you're asking someone that has gone to a great deal of trouble in order to remain anonymous, to freely admit what they've done in the public forum and out themselves.

My guess is, anyone that has done this isn't going to answer your question (statement) with a "yes".

My guess is your are 100% right.

This is an open challenge to all the old hands and forum regulars.

If you think know how this website and the geocaching website work....if you are not a sock puppet....if you think that YOU can speak the Language of Location, then have I got a contest for you. This contest is open to everyone on the geocaching.com website but I really don't expect new geocachers to be able to solve this one, it is for the old hands. I havee been surprised before.

It is a micro contest inside the Christmas Caching Puzzle thread and it has a very nice First to Find prize. (all items are trackable on geocahcing.com).

So if you are up to a bit of puzzle solving, not really, it is more of a "this is how the website works" kind of challenge then here is a link to the micro contest called "what contest?"

It is open to all accounts on the Groundspeak Forums.

I will let the winners rate the Puzzle Difficulty but I suspect that it is rather high, even for the old hands. This isn't an elf hiding in plain sight folks.

Anyone legally and responsibly placing a cache should have no need to use fake names to hide behind. Do you know someone planning to place an irresponsible or illegal cache?

So, your legal name is Rockin Roddy? I know for a fact that my name isn't really Allanon.

With very few exceptions, everyone here uses a 'fake name' to hide behind.

So, your legal name is Rockin Roddy? I know for a fact that my name isn't really Allanon.

I believe you understood what I was saying, but I could be wrong... :D

If you've ever used your sock puppet account from the same computer you've used your regular account, the two accounts can be tied together.

If you've ever used your sock puppet account from the same computer you've used your regular account, the two accounts can be tied together.

That is why I am always very careful when signing on with my CoyoteRed account.

Yes, All IP's are logged and this is a really good way to ensure that users are protected while they use the geocaching.com website and the Groundspeak Forums website. I have a lot of accounts.

I am sure they are all tied together, OK well not a lot, but more than one.

It is handy to have several geocaching.com accounts for reasons not readily apparent to many readers.

Remember, if you think you know how these websites work then feel free to break yourself on this rock, and I ain't talking hamsters here!

This micro-contest has a really nice FTF prize and all prizes are trackable on geocaching.com.

The contest is open to all accounts but the challenge level is intended to appeal to those who are familiar with the geocaching.com website and these forums.

I suspect the first solver will feel like they have just received a nice feather for their toque.

Good Luck everyone.

Edited by wavector

That is why I am always very careful when signing on with my CoyoteRed account.

:D:D:D

Edited by wavector

I believe you understood what I was saying, but I could be wrong... :D

Yes, I did...I was playing devil's advocate. :D

Some famous, or is that infamous, caches by known 'sock puppet' accounts here in the NW:

The Bloated Festering Head of my First Victim

Bloody Fingers, Dirty Diapers and its cousin The Roof of my Cave

Brain Pain

Die Dunst Der Fuge

For anyone that might be interested. :D

As I understand the term, a "sock puppet" is an account created by a regular forum user (any forum, not just here) so that user can post under different names. The metaphor is if a person puts a sock over his hand and pretends it's a different person talking.

Lots of people have accounts other than their "main" account, and some of them place caches under the other accounts. I believe all reviewers have multiple accounts (one to own and find caches, one to review). Lots of people have team accounts (family or caching group) along with individual accounts. I personally control 3 accounts (one I started with, this one created a few months later, and one I created specifically for the purpose of a yet-to-be-finished puzzle cache).

And yes, some people create secondary accounts for the purpose of hiding caches that don't fit their regular style or to fit a certain theme. But they would have to go to a lot of work and take extreme precautions to be able to keep TBTP from linking to the main account.

So - I can look up Rockin Roddy in the phone book and find your name and number? :D:D

You can actually look up "Markwell" in my area and find me and my brothers.

I have seen cachers with second logins. In fact, I manage at least 3 other accounts other than "Markwell" (Vegebuddy - for my in-laws, Pack 13 - for my Cub Scout Pack, Troop13Plfd for the Boy Scout Troop and SemperFiWags for my dog). They were all set up for legitimate reasons.

The prevention of "sock puppet accounts" is a FORUM guidline.

Sock puppet accounts are not permitted. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts may be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.
There is no such guideline in the cache listing requirements.

And yes, some people create secondary accounts for the purpose of hiding caches that don't fit their regular style or to fit a certain theme. But they would have to go to a lot of work and take extreme precautions to be able to keep TBTP from linking to the main account.

Extreme is an understatement.

I have seen cachers with second logins. In fact, I manage at least 3 other accounts other than "Markwell" (Vegebuddy - for my in-laws, Pack 13 - for my Cub Scout Pack, Troop13Plfd for the Boy Scout Troop and SemperFiWags for my dog). They were all set up for legitimate reasons.

I have a sock puppet account that is shared by a group of geocachers, it is called AGWG

That sock puppet account has never posted in the forums.

Everyone who has access to that account posts under a regular forum account and the sock puppet account has never been used to hide a geocache but it could be. :D

The socks themselves are usually argyle.

None of this sock puppet discussion reflects the reality, geocachers may be working together on puzzles so technically the other geocacher wouldn't be a sock puppet but would actually be a "mole".

With all the talk of 'bomb squads' blowing up caches. Cache owners being responsible for the costs and possible criminal charges. Does anyone use a Sock Puppet account to place caches with.

Even properly placed caches could fall into the urban panic of an unknown device being located. LETS ASSUME the cache Follows All Guidlines.

Many folks use different accounts to place caches. The act of placing the cache under an account tends to render the account non socky.

So - I can look up Rockin Roddy in the phone book and find your name and number? :D:D

You can actually look up "Markwell" in my area and find me and my brothers.

Sock puppet accounts are not permitted. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts may be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.

No, but then, you won't find that info in any phone book regardless of the name you use for me! :D I would bet you'd find my info simply with a quick check of just these forums though...as well as a search on google I'd imagine!

Many folks use different accounts to place caches. The act of placing the cache under an account tends to render the account non socky.

Exactly. Yes, I've placed two caches under a sock puppet account, and in this case, it is literally a sock puppet, it's a hand puppet mascot that goes to events and stuff. I suppose people think it's "cute". But do people use sock puppet accounts to place illegal caches? Probably pretty rare. Would it be easy to fool TPTB by creating a sock puppet account at Starbucks using Wi-Fi, or unplugging your DSL modem? Of course. :D

OMG! Double post. That never happens to me.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

One has to wonder how Vinny and his army of sock puppets escaped all these year. :D

Jim

One has to wonder how Vinny and his army of sock puppets escaped all these year. :D

Jim

We He could tell you, but then we'd he'd have to kill you...

Groups do this in our area when they place a fun series of caches like 101 Dalmations. That series was hidden by Cruella De Vil. :D I have not seen someone use this technique to try to get away with hiding questionable caches, but I guess they could do that until they got caught. It seems like it would take less effort just to follow the guidelines. When in doubt, ask for some help.

One has to wonder how Vinny and his army of sock puppets escaped all these year. :wub:

Jim

Oh it's much simpler than that. He actually is an escapee.

From what, is what I won't tell you. You really don't wanta know!!!!!11

Just think, "gov't experiment gone bad. horribly bad."

~*

:wub:

:wub:

One has to wonder how Vinny and his army of sock puppets escaped all these year. :wub:

Jim

Oh it's much simpler than that. He actually is an escapee.

From what, is what I won't tell you. You really don't wanta know!!!!!11

Just think, "gov't experiment gone bad. horribly bad."

~*

Eye ame. verrrry upsatt. Naow Thett have yewe. Has stumbblid Upawn LEAst A parshul historuy. of My laffE. Moar upsatt thet yUEwe havv. tolled PepulE heAre. Yuewe arrR. Varry bADe. Eye doan. LaiK Hampstirs.

This post composed and authenticated using Anti-Spell Check ver. 2.3.1, Anti-Grammar Check ver. 1.0.9, Anti-Semantics Check ver. 3.5.1, Anti-Sanity Check ver. 6.6.6 and Anti-Semioitics Check ver. 1.0.1

Agreed!

And, it would be even harder to successfully preserve the anonymity of a sock puppet account if law enforcement got involved, perhaps due to a very unwise and extremely illegal cache placement hidden under a sock puppet account, for they have access to even more tools and a greater range of records than do Groundspeak IS/IT gurus.

I love the old "all ip's are logged" threat. That may or may not make any difference. If it's with an active account that's used all the time, yes there's a fair chance it can be traced back to the user. If the account is older and not used any more, good chance logging the ip is useless.

Different ISPs keep ip information for varying lengths of time. A lot of ISPs gave your modem a dynamic ip, so if you disconnect it for a while, your ip gets reassigned.

Comcast, for example keeps ip information for around thirty days. Some keep it longer, some ISPs don't keep it at all. So if you don't have the ip anymore, a log of it will only get a resarcher down to the region youare in.

Even better, if you by a wireless card for cash and use it at starbucks... Even if they Have router software to log your MAC address...which I don't know if they do... Unless you are there when the cops show up rtheres nothing to tie you to it.

Of course it all begs the point of...hide stuff responsibly and you don't have to worry.

And has there been a case of a cache hider being convicted, by a jury, of a crime? Yes the cops might be able to charge people in some states, andsome people may have plead guilty to other offenses, but has anyone taken a cacher to court and won? This is also the only way to bill a cacher for bomb squad hours - it would have to be part of court ordered restitution. Since the coast guard doesn't bill lost boaters and the dnr doesn't bill hikers for rescue, I don't see how any court would bill someone for that

One has to wonder how Vinny and his army of sock puppets escaped all these year. ;)

Jim

*I have managed to capture Vinny's sock army,

1764266506_3397548ab0.jpg

but once again, Vinny escaped

I have two other GC accounts. I'm not sure if either would qualify as socks, as they were not created with the intent of masking my identity.

Neither of these other accounts has ever posted in the forums, nor have they hidden any caches.

If they ever do, they'll do so in accordance with the guidelines.

Same here. As I have stated before, my wife Sue and I own a total of about five geocaching accounts, two (and sometimes three, and sometimes even four) of which are premium accounts, and each exists for a valid reason, and the only one which is ever used for posting to the forums is our main Vinny & Sue Team account.

As I understand the term, a "sock puppet" is an account created by a regular forum user (any forum, not just here) so that user can post under different names. The metaphor is if a person puts a sock over his hand and pretends it's a different person talking.

In the context of the Internet in general (the sock puppet term was not invented here) a "sock puppet" is typically an alternative user id created to support the position of an already existing user id. For example, a user might post a controversial opinion, then use their sock puppet account to support that position. I have also seen sock puppet accounts used as shills to provide favorable reviews of something the owner of the sock puppet is trying to sell.

In the context of the Internet in general (the sock puppet term was not invented here) a "sock puppet" is typically an alternative user id created to support the position of an already existing user id. For example, a user might post a controversial opinion, then use their sock puppet account to support that position. I have also seen sock puppet accounts used as shills to provide favorable reviews of something the owner of the sock puppet is trying to sell.

I agree. The term, as normally used on the electronical digitacious Interweb thingie, is usually intended to denote only accounts formed for malicious purposes, such as clandestine attempts to support a position of the real account owner, or a product marketed by the real account owner. This whole matter of socks has become a major problem, for example, on Wikipedia, where some persons have been found to own from 200 to 990 sock puppet accounts which they use to continually insert and reinforce their own stilted opinions and views on some topics. In fact, aside from the recent scandal regarding the fake credentials of one of their top editors, this whole unmanaged matter of runaway sock puppets contributes greatly to the fact that Wikipedia is viewed with skepticism and even outright derision in many academic, legal, legislative and scientific circles.

It means more than just an alternative user id. There are plenty of other sites that allow the same person to sign up under different user names and those sites still have sock puppets. The difference being that with alternate user names it is common knowledge who is controlling each user name. With a sock puppet account it isn't common knowledge who really is controlling the sock puppet account and in most cases it isn't even known that the account is a sock puppet account. In fact the argument can be made that once a sock puppet account has been discovered that it is no longer a sock puppet account, at least by the strictest definition of the term, and that is now just an alternate user name.