Anybody know what this is?

Surferjo

We came across this thing partly buried about 20 feet away from a cache. There were 2 of them both extremely heavy. I didn't want to unwrap it so im not sure whats inside.

As I dug though the area a little more I saw some Shrooms growing. Is this some sort of mushroom marker? There are some people Ive seen in this park on Long Island (Edgwood Park) collecting mushrooms from time to time.

Thanks

GeoCache%20strange%20find.jpg

Uh, it looks a lot like a cheap pipe bomb; made from pvc and wrapped with duct tape to allow greater compression to build during detonation. If you still have it, do not touch it. Call the police and report a possible bomb. If they are filled with black powder (probably THE most common explosive available commercially) it is extremely susceptible to static (which PVC holds).

Please note, I am a police officer and wouldn't go near that.

Edited by Grigorii Rasputin

Uh, it looks a lot like a cheap pipe bomb; made from pvc and wrapped with duct tape to allow greater compression to build during detonation. If you still have it, do not touch it. Call the police and report a possible bomb. If they are filled with black powder (probably THE most common explosive available commercially) it is extremely susceptible to static (which PVC holds).

I am an explosives safety professional and I totally agree! Call the police.

While I fully realize that the two items you found may be innocuous, I largely agree with the honorable Grigorji Rasputin that there is due reason to be concerned as well, and I would suggest that you follow the advice given above.

Oh, and Grigorji Yefimovich Rasputin, you are NOT a law enforcement officer, and rather, you are a mysterious Russian mystic, and perhaps, as some claim, a starets, or at least a strannik, and I have never believed the spurious claims that you were murdered in Saint Petersburg on December 29 of 1916; I have always known that you were alive and well!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I am an explosives safety professional and I totally agree! Call the police.

I totaly agree call the police and let them deal with the item......

It does not look promising. While it might be someone else's cache, I would not take the chance. Call the police. Do, however, explain to them that there was a geocache nearby and explain about the geocache.

Just as law enforcement destroys caches periodically by mistake, they should deal with this thing, too. Maybe you will put "1" in the "plus column" for geocaching.

Oh, and Grigorji Yefimovich Rasputin, you are NOT a law enforcement officer, and rather, you are a mysterious Russian mystic, and perhaps, as some claim, a starets, or at least a strannik, and I have never believed the spurious claims that you were murdered in Saint Petersburg on December 29 of 1916; I have always known that you were alive and well!

HE HE HE!!! I love people who are historically literate!!! :D:D

By the way, the rumors of my death are greatly exagerated!!!!

Edited by Grigorii Rasputin

I remember reading somewhere on these forums about a muggle who found a cache and thought it was a bomb so smashed it with a rock! Upon realinsing what was inside he wrote an apology and explaination of his actions in the logbook!

So that's my suggestion, smash it with a rock, as long as it's not a bomb you'll be ok! :D

Well, as someone who is both a degreed scientist and also a full-blown mystic, I have always been fascinated by the tales of the mad monk Rasputin, and I even own a couple of books about his bizarre life! He was an odd one!

It looks like some of Vinnie's associates may have dropped something. :D

Well, it's not /mine/.

Sioneva is entirely correct -- the devices do not belong to me nor to any of my many sock puppets, and I/we know nothing about them. We deny everything.

Deny, Deny, Deny. It seems I am on to something here.

Well, as someone who is both a degreed scientist and also a full-blown mystic, I have always been fascinated by the tales of the mad monk Rasputin, and I even own a couple of books about his bizarre life! He was an odd one!

And so amazing one man could have had the (albeit negative) effect upon his country as HE had!!!! Just amazing.

And so amazing one man could have had the (albeit negative) effect upon his country as HE had!!!! Just amazing.

Actually, I suspect that the overall effect of his presence was more positive than negative, but, viewed solely in terms of the longevity of the Tsarist government, well, it is fairly clear that his antics and those of the family of the Tsar helped to discredit the Tsarist regime. However, we will never know for sure, as the records from those days contain more rumor than fact and the picture remains very fuzzy.

Getting back on topic for a moment, I hope that the OP keeps us informed as to the eventual outcome of this case -- I would love to know what is/was in those pipes!

It looks like some of Vinnie's associates may have dropped something. :D

Well, it's not /mine/.

Sioneva is entirely correct -- the devices do not belong to me nor to any of my many sock puppets, and I/we know nothing about them. We deny everything.

Deny, Deny, Deny. It seems I am on to something here.

We deny that!

I remember reading somewhere on these forums about a muggle who found a cache and thought it was a bomb so smashed it with a rock! Upon realinsing what was inside he wrote an apology and explaination of his actions in the logbook!

I don't know if it's the one you're thinking of, but GCH8EA SURF'S DOWN fits that description.

Edward

Interesting log!

I seem to remember it was a plastic container though, this obviously happens more than I'd imagined!

That's an extremely rare and hard to find appliance known as the BBL600XL - do it yourself kitchen blender. It's been on the Christmas top ten gift ideas for years and receives raves from it's owners, who say it never balks at pulverizing whole fruits and vegetables, turns ice to snow in seconds, and even crushes wheat berries into flour.

Just one quick shake and this industrial-strength blender boasts 1.21 jigowatts of power, a huge 64-ounce, durable, BPA-free jar and a seven-second warranty. it has a "smoothie" setting guaranteed to explode anything within a 100 yard radius into a cornucopia of random small parts within seconds.

Still waiting on the outcome of the OP's item.
Well, they've signed into their account today, so we know they aren't blown to bits, anyways....

Sad to say, but I have seen this kind of thing on the forum many times in the past, and I can almost guarantee you that we will NEVER EVER EVER hear another word -- not even the tiniest whisper -- on this matter from the OP, for it is almost certain that he/she has, in the hours since he/she started this thread and penned their original post, been visited by the Men in Black, and that her/his perpetual silence on the matter henceforth is all but guaranteed. For the device he/she found was not a bomb, it was a beacon used by the alien visitors; I can say no more.

Well, they've signed into their account today, so we know they aren't blown to bits, anyways....

Sad to say, but I have seen this kind of thing on the forum many times in the past, and I can almost guarantee you that we will NEVER EVER EVER hear another word -- not even the tiniest whisper -- on this matter from the OP, for it is almost certain that he/she has, in the hours since he/she started this thread and penned their original post, been visited by the Men in Black, and that her/his perpetual silence on the matter henceforth is all but guaranteed. For the device he/she found was not a bomb, it was a beacon used by the alien visitors; I can say no more.

I KNEW I was right! :anibad:

I KNEW I was right! :blink:

Of COURSE you knew! You are an admitted Freemason, and, at least if you are 33rd degree, then you SURELY know about this, for everyone knows that the Freemasons (at least the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry) and the Illuminati are in chaoots with the alien grays to orchestrate the advent of the New World Order! Du'oh...!

:ph34r:

:anibad:

:blink:

:blink:

Well, it's not /mine/.

An interesting, non-caching tale, which this thread reminded me of:

Early in 1988, I was a police officer for the small town of Mascotte, Fl. (population 2000)

A resident called me, saying she had broken up with her boyfriend, and he had left his fireworks there when he left. She wanted me to take custody of them. When I arrived, she brought out a box of pretty tame stuff, (oversized bottle rockets/M-80s/etc), then tells me, "Oh yeah, he left his rocket, too". She brings me a large metal tube, roughly 3" in diameter by about 3' long. It's painted OD green, has odd stenciling on it, and a blue warhead. I took it back to my office and while waiting on EOD to call me, I decided to tinker with it, dismantling the device as much as I could with standard tools. Eventually an EOD tech called me and I described the device to him, including the really kewl Origami looking aluminum foil stuff visible through several holes in the base. EOD guy tells me I have a live rocket motor which could be set off by static electricity. :anibad:

(although he did reasure me that the warhead was a practice one)

Not wanting to admit my stupidity, I carefully reassembled the device while waiting on them to pick it up.

I think that act led to the old adage; "There are no stupid questions, but the world is full of inquisitive idiots" :blink:

Ok let me start off by saying sorry, I didn’t mean to leave you hanging. I posted here in hopes that one of you more experienced Cacher's might have come across this item and could shed some light upon it. I still don’t know what it is.

I theorized at first that it was some sort of Mushroom marker, perhaps some magnetic rods inside that would trigger a standard compass as the collectors passed by on the nearby path. As I said I have seen some mushroom collectors in that particular park (straight out of Deliverance BTW) and there were some Mushrooms growing under the area where they were. Again, this is all hypothetical. I spent an hours or so yesterday at work looking up Mushroom sites but to no avail.

They also do rescue dog training in that park but it would have had teeth marks on it if a dog was carrying it in his mouth.

I don’t really think it’s a pipe bomb, I mean why go though all the trouble of making it and than placing it in a spot where 5-7 people pass by every 12 months. But than again this park is on the grounds (now demolished) Edgwood Mental hospital.

qqedgwdbldg.jpg

This shot was taken before the Roof fire. It got way creepier looking after that.

I’m going to swing by again this weekend and grab one last cache in that park not to far from these things. I’ll bring a standard compass to test my (harebrain) magnetic theory.

The name of the cache is Edgewood South GCR8GY if you want to take a look.

We came across this thing partly buried about 20 feet away from a cache. There were 2 of them both extremely heavy. I didn't want to unwrap it so im not sure whats inside.

As I dug though the area a little more I saw some Shrooms growing. Is this some sort of mushroom marker? There are some people Ive seen in this park on Long Island (Edgwood Park) collecting mushrooms from time to time.

Thanks

Why would someone put a large marker like that to mark a mushroom patch??

Why wouldn't they just use a gps like I do and that you use? Most mushroom pickers just memorize the area they pick in.

Thanks

Why wouldn't they just use a gps like I do and that you use? Most mushroom pickers just memorize the area they pick in.

You have to see these 2 guys. A GPS device to them would be like a zippo lighter to a caveman.

Thanks

You have to see these 2 guys. A GPS device to them would be like a zippo lighter to a caveman.

Hmmmm i am pretty sure i work with them. out here in the rockies.

I'm too wondering about what you found. At first my thought's was a pipe bomb. The other thing that comes to mind is it could be a cache listed on another site. But you would think if it was there would be some sort of identifaction on the outside of it if it was a cache.

I've seen quite a few cache's made out of PVC piping but everyone I've found the cache owner was smart enought to mark the outside of the container with a sticker or by painting GEO-CACHE or TERRA-CACHE or NAVI-CACHE on the outside.

The men in black?

Or VENONA? :anibad:

The men in black?

Or VENONA? :anibad:

The bomb squad!

WWW.Glass-Cockpit.Org

I'm an avid mushroom hunter, and I have never, ever, ever heard of a "mushroom marking device". There just simply ain't no such animal.

I'd agree with the pipe-bomb theory. At the very least, you should ASSUME pipe-bomb until proven to be something else, and treat them as such. Let the bomb squad get their practice on these instead of geocaches.