Log Content Requirement

SG One

Add our voice to those who use a short log (Found it. SL) or TNLN on a cache we did not enjoy. Usually we don't want to make a lengthy negative statement because it's just our opinion. We once found a cache where the "container" was a crushed up fast food bag. We thought it was awful but imagine our surprise when subsequent log entries said "creative" and "clever hide" and such. So we usually choose to make it short rather than judgmental.

For a long time our longest log entry was a DNF (on an excellent cache we found later). We do try to tell an interesting story or write a worthy entry to give positive feedback to the owners of caches we enjoy, since we appreciate the same from those who find ours.

I think there are folks who like to wax verbose, and those who do not. When I use cache log length to try and evaluate a particular hide, I'll look at the person's other finds and see if there is a trend. If I see they wrote "TNLNSL" on the 49 other caches they found that day, but wrote "TNLNSL Thanx For The Hide!" on the 50th, I take this as a sign that this particular cache inspired them to write more. So don't judge a logger simply by what they've posted to your cache. Check to see how they normally log.

I'm one of those folks who like to gab. It is not uncommon for me to see the nastygram from Groundspeak telling me my log will not be allowed because it exceeds the 4000 character maximum. I've taken to using an online character counter to prevent this.

I feel that if somebody has taken the time and trouble to devise and maintain a cache I should take the time and trouble to write a reasonable log. ...

This post is an interesting contrast to those that take the position that rude logs are OK because caches are not gifts to the community and that if a person puts out a cache that he should be prepared to be judged.

In another thread we see that one owner deleted a log because it was negative and many posters recommended short acronym posts as a way to show displeasure in the cache without getting into an argument with the cache owner.

Now we have an owner who doesn't want acronym posts, but rather full sentences even if they're negative.

We once found a cache where the "container" was a crushed up fast food bag. We thought it was awful but imagine our surprise when subsequent log entries said "creative" and "clever hide" and such.
I think there are folks who like to wax verbose, and those who do not.

Never underestimate the diversity of preference and taste.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Folks have left very short logs on my caches from time to time. It never occurred to me to take any of them personally.

I really try to write something meaningful and interesting, but those offended by short/shallow logs need to also understand that it's hard to be creative late at night when you're trying to get a couple dozen look-alike skirt lifters and micros logged... :anibad:

Speaking of that. I have a rather pleasant parking lot romp involving about 6 LPCs to log. I'm drawing a blank on creativity.

"If you want logs that rise above TNLNSL, you need to place caches that inspire logs beyond TNLNSL." ... "There are things within your own power that will net you better logs."

Think that'll do it, does ya? And you're telling him to wake up & smell the coffee.

Funny!

~*

He wants the logs. I enjoy them but if I really did it all for the logs I'd not list caches on sites that don't have them being found. For me placing a good cache is it's own reward. Logs are icing on the cake.

Oh, and having placed both excellent caches and utter crap I've learned the difference in logs. So yeah, I'm telling him. :anibad:

Did you message them to let them know that the system must have not properly processed their logs, and then asked a series of questions about how they enjoyed the area and the find? I'd be interested to see how they respond when put on the spot by the cache owner. :anibad:

- Elle

"The film cannister looks like it will blow away from the guard rail with any wind. Magnets might help. The nearby woods would have beena better place to hide a cache, but I guess the film canisters are cheap. Have you considered using a ziplock to keep the log dry? Did not feel comfortable being four feet from the fence around the water tower. You might consider rehiding this in the woods."

"At least this isn't a film canister. Magnets might help. Container looks like it might last another week. Ziplocks are cheap! I didn't know we could hide caches on high school property. Must be a tough find when the track team is running four feet away."

Ah, sorry, We spent a week on vacation looking for some very nice caches. (We could pick and choose.) Returned to take care of some of the spew. I hadn't realized that the local spew was this bad...

The good news is that he has hidden three more film canisters in the last week. Yes. I know where the ignore button is.

To answer OP, I am not known for my excessive verbiage. In most cases, I'll try to write a line or two. "Pretty park. thanks." If you get "Found it," from me you know that I hated it!

On the other hand, my caching partner is a bear of few words. You will seldom get more than "Found it.®" from him. Ya don't like it: TBSS.

Where is that "lost art of logging" thread? I've been seeing tons of 6 word logs on excellent caches the last couple of years lately, and this has even carried over into paper logging. I know, I recently had a cache down for maintenance at home for a month that had a big ol' fat logbook from 2004. And like magic, around the middle of 2006, almost every log is just a username, maybe with a TFTC thrown in once in a while.

A couple of months ago, I was about the 8th finder of a new traditional with a good sized logbook. I was the first person to write more than a username. I remarked in my find log they'd have room for 10,000 entries in the logbook. :blink:

:anibad:

As a new cacher I thought you were supposed to take up as little space as possible on paper logs so they wouldn't have to be replaced as often. Granted I've only found maybe two that were more than a single piece of paper.... so that sort of reinforces the preconception. Also a few of them (not micros either) that were a single peice of paper had NUMBERED lines, in columns, so that I guess the hider could easily tell how many people had been there. I'll try to write more in the "real" logbooks from now on though. Real meaning paper, and also meaning a logBOOK rather than a logPAGE.

I do try to leave a sentence or two at least on the online logs though. I figure someone took the time to hide a cache for me to find (good one or not) and the deserve something for that.

...As a new cacher I thought you were supposed to take up as little space as possible on paper logs so they wouldn't have to be replaced as often....

That's only true for Micro logs. Some larger caches have ample logs and I know when I pick up a cache log I like reading through them. Some folks write a lot in the paper log, some online. Some the only log you will ever see is the paper log.

The reason I am posting this is because I am tired of logs that consist of nothing more than six letters. I.E. “TNLN SL”. Since I began caching this type of log has become more common and I think they are rude. The reason I go to the trouble of hiding caches is because I want to hear the experiences of the finders. I understand that often times cachers have many caches to log and very little time to do so, but would a sentence or two be that much to ask? I would even be happier reading negative comments over abbreviations.

Because of this frustration I have been thinking about making a SHORT comment a requirement for logging a cache. I would accept just one sentence. Including logs like "#14 on our trip thought the Orlando area". I wouldn't delete the logs of cachers who didn't read, but I think a requirement would at least cut back on short logs. My thinking is that if enough cachers did this it would curb this trend.

My question to all of you is weather I should do this or just let it go. Am I asking too much? The last thing I want to do is become the cache Gestapo. I guess if anything it was a chance to vent.

I feel your pain, but there really is little you can reasonably do without deleting the lame logs. The best you can do is hide inspiring caches in above-average locations and hope for the best.

Even if you get down on your virtual knees in the description and beg for 'good' logs, there will always be the 'load-and-go' crowd who never even read your carefully crafted cache page.

LPCs get a one word log, only because the system won't accept a zero word log.

Already covered, but there IS the single punctuation option.

While '.' certainly makes a point, '?' might really be more to the point...?=Why did I come here?

oh, oh, oh!

i've just thought of an alternate scenario!

i've been to a couple of caches that are in such terrific surprise locations that they get VERY sparsely worded logs because nobody wants to give away the surprise. it's not common, but it happens every now and again.

I've done a few like that.

The key is letting the owner know you enjoyed it without saying too much.

In cases like this, it's like a secret shared between the logger and the owner...they will know.

My question to all of you is weather I should do this or just let it go. Am I asking too much? The last thing I want to do is become the cache Gestapo. I guess if anything it was a chance to vent.
Assuming you're referring to log entries online, for many geocachers (including us) the depth and length of the log is directly proportional to the enjoyment of the hide. The thing all owners need to understand is everyone has a different perspective on "enjoyment", so while one cacher might enjoy the hide and write you a book, the next cacher to come along might totally hate it and log "TFTH". You can't put a rule on how much a person will enjoy the cache, and if I approached a hide with some requirement even remotely implying my log entry would be deleted if not entered correctly.... <<click>> IGNORE. Next.....

I sympathize with those of you who spend the time to find a great location to hide a cache,making and camoing the cache container,doing research to find info for the cache page, and creating a good looking and informative cache page...only to get a "copy and paste" type log! ARRRGGGHHH!!

I have literally spent weeks putting together a cache and it feels like a gut punch when a cacher who finds it can't post a "suitable" online log.

Oh well, different cachers play the game in different ways....as long as they are enjoying the sport of the hunt : )

My question to all of you is weather I should do this or just let it go.

Let it go.

Am I asking too much?

Yes.

The last thing I want to do is become the cache Gestapo.

Too late!

I guess if anything it was a chance to vent.

Thanks for sharing.

It's amazing how many will passionately support free speech AND tell folks what they should say! ;)

I hear that Ed!!!

We have a "prominent" (in some peoples minds) cacher who will just delete your log if he doesn't like it. No reall reason needed, the OP doesn't want to turn into that person.

I agree with the above, let it go. They found the cache, let them log it how they want, it will be gone from the page in 4 or 5 finds.

Last week someone found one of my caches, and the logs simply said, "NONE".

And this wasn't even one of my "lame" caches. It's in a beautiful area with a boardwalk overlooking a lake with lots of birds and lilly pads and frogs along the shoreline and maybe a lone canoe paddling out in the middle, and all it got was "NONE". Grrrrr.

Did you message them to let them know that the system must have not properly processed their logs, and then asked a series of questions about how they enjoyed the area and the find? I'd be interested to see how they respond when put on the spot by the cache owner. :ph34r:

- Elle

I would delete an email like that without responding.
Talk about rude.

- Elle

I am under no moral imperative to respond to every email that I receive.
It wasn't an email. It was an email notification of a found log. The found log simply said "NONE." I never received an email from anyone. Well, other than GC notifying me of the find.
I was referring to your 'series of questions'.

I like to read long logs online, and I tend to post long logs on my finds. But I think a logging requirement would backfire.

I've left some TFTC logs, I even left a couple x of 7 logs a couple days ago. Usually it's on micros or PNG caches that didn't give me anything interesting to write about when finding them. Who's going to write a log like "the parking lot was particularly asphalt-colored today."?

I have visited 75 caches. Of that 75 i can only remember anything about 3 of them a year on. The rest are a big blur and had nothing outstanding about them. I get no enjoyment out of finding film pots shoved in bushes when there is so much more scope for something bigger.

of the three i can remember one was a 2ft square cache in the middle of winnipeg (if that can be done anyhting is possible to hide) One was a pig with a cache undernearth hidden in someones front garden and the other was up and under a fountain.

If noone is commenting about your cache its probally because its boring. Go and be imaginative.

A cache should either be in an unusual container, or in a stunning place or cunningly hidden.

I now dont put out any film canisters or tupperwear boxes. It also doesnt cost a fortune is excellent containers. We went to a junk sale today and picked up 11 unique containers for £5.25

Dare to be different

See how big a cache you can get away with putting out in full view of people

I like to read long logs online, and I tend to post long logs on my finds. But I think a logging requirement would backfire.

I've left some TFTC logs, I even left a couple x of 7 logs a couple days ago. Usually it's on micros or PNG caches that didn't give me anything interesting to write about when finding them. Who's going to write a log like "the parking lot was particularly asphalt-colored today."?

:ph34r: August 21 by FunnyNose (6389 found)

Neat lamp post.. A prime example of a model GM-9513 Thanks SL

:cry: June 19, 2007 by FunnyNose (6389 found)

Never saw the back parking lot of this Safeway before.. Thanks SL

I'm into geocaching...not writing short stories.

You should just be happy that I searched for your cache and logged it.

That's about as arrogant an attitude as I've ever read on these boards. If that's true (the "I'm into geocaching..." part), imagine if nobody puts out any caches - where would you be then?

Seems to me you should be happy someone bothers to put out a cache for you to search for.

And expressing a li'l gratitude is beneath you, I suppose?

ohgeez.gif

~*

Edited by Star*Hopper

I'm into geocaching...not writing short stories.

You should just be happy that I searched for your cache and logged it.

That's about as arrogant an attitude as I've ever read on these boards. If that's true (the "I'm into geocaching..." part), imagine if nobody puts out any caches - where would you be then?

Seems to me you should be happy someone bothers to put out a cache for you to search for.

And expressing a li'l gratitude is beneath you, I suppose?

ohgeez.gif

~*

I must respectfully disagree.

If Drooling Mongoloid found and logged one of my caches, I would be perfectly happy that he searched for my cache and logged it.

The fact that he chose to log his activity online at all would be gratitude enough for me. Even those who log the paper log without logging online don’t bother me. Why would any of that bother me?

Until this thread, it never occurred to me to be offended by short logs. Until this thread it never occurred to me that anyone would be offended by short logs.

I am constantly amazed at the variety of non-offensive places people will dig in their vigorous searches for new ways to be offended.

***That's about as arrogant an attitude as I've ever read on these boards. If that's true (the "I'm into geocaching..." part), imagine if nobody puts out any caches - where would you be then?***

I don't know how you read or decipher a message, but since I'm into Geocaching, that means "I also place caches".

I am happy that people come to mine...they don't have to, they can read the cache page and skip it. But to entice people, all my caches are a 2 and below and some are "Handicap Rated", because I want people to find them eaisly.

As far as logging, I don't care what they write...a Long Thesis, a Short Story, Poems, an "X"...etc. What I like is that email to me, telling me that someone took the time to find my cache.

Maybe the Original Poster likes to read the stories and sometimes I enjoy reading a story on my caches...but I never put "TNLN", I usually write 1 sentence...

Hence, my crappy school grades in English.

***That's about as arrogant an attitude as I've ever read on these boards. If that's true (the "I'm into geocaching..." part), imagine if nobody puts out any caches - where would you be then?***

I don't know how you read or decipher a message, but since I'm into Geocaching, that means "I also place caches".

I am happy that people come to mine...they don't have to, they can read the cache page and skip it. But to entice people, all my caches are a 2 and below and some are "Handicap Rated", because I want people to find them eaisly.

As far as logging, I don't care what they write...a Long Thesis, a Short Story, Poems, an "X"...etc. What I like is that email to me, telling me that someone took the time to find my cache.

Maybe the Original Poster likes to read the stories and sometimes I enjoy reading a story on my caches...but I never put "TNLN", I usually write 1 sentence...

Hence, my crappy school grades in English.

I liked the way you phrased this response a lot better than the previous post you made. It gives more perspective about where you are coming from and give you more credibility. I'm relatively new to the game and I'm guilty of a few short log entries but reading this thread made me think about how tough is it really to write a bit more. Everybody doesn't need to do it but I'm starting to, even if I just remark about the weather.

Sacfalconer

***I liked the way you phrased this response a lot better than the previous post you made. It gives more perspective about where you are coming from and give you more credibility. ***

Thanks.

Sometimes we write things in a hurry knowing what we mean...but others then read it differently and get offended.

Like I said, English was not my Forte...so I became a computer programmer, Now I only have to know a dozen words or so.

TNLN gives feedback regarding changes in swag and might be useful to some. It is a throwback to a time when we all identified what was taken and left and the cache owners listed what was remaining in the cache. There was a time when the cache description typically listed teh cache contents and very little other information.

Also, I'm of the mind that TFTC means Thanks For The Cache. As such, I wouldn't find it rude if someone logs one of my caches in that way. If someone wants to write a book, great. The only feadback that I am really looking for on my caches is whether there is a maintenance problem that I need to address.

Edited by sbell111
To answer OP, I am not known for my excessive verbiage. In most cases, I'll try to write a line or two. "Pretty park. thanks." If you get "Found it," from me you know that I hated it!

On the other hand, my caching partner is a bear of few words. You will seldom get more than "Found it.®" from him. Ya don't like it: TBSS.

I enjoy reading a log that's a couple lines long. Something more than TNLNSL TFTC but shorter than the ones that are like novels that continue onto a second and third "write note" log because they're so big.

Your placing of caches has nothing to do with it -- you don't hunt (hence, log) your own caches.

Well BULLY for YOU! But again, this only applies to caches you place - not the ones you log.

My comment was directed to your statement "You should just be happy that I searched for your cache and logged it." -- which apparently refers to your logging of & on others' caches, & I thought that attitude was particularly arrogant, considering that if no one ELSE put out any caches, you wouldn't be able to enjoy this sport that you, according to your opening remark, are "into".

I usually respect your comments on the boards, and appreciate your exceptional sense of humor - even in this thread. You however appear to have said about this subject, in effect,

"I like finding caches, not writing detailed logs about them. You should consider yourself blessed that I even bothered to look for it, and wrote anything on your log, no matter how short or small." (eg, the too-frequent "tftc").

The bothersome part was "You should just be happy that I searched for your cache..."

And I thought that sounded pretty one-sided, ergo, an arrogant attitude. Almost like you half-expect me, the cacher, should write you a note of thanks for looking for my cache! Hence my comment that, if nobody puts out any caches for you to seek, where would your enjoyment be then? Yet you can't take a couple moments to thank them for providing that which leads to your pleasure, via a decent log entry? THAT, to me, is what the whole [OP's] topic is ABOUT.

Tell me - re the crappiest cache you (or anyone else) ever found. Didn't you take 'the point' for finding it?

Seems to me the 'ultimate rejection' would be to not claim the find. Not saying something bad about or 'dissing' it in a log entry.

Kinda like - but not the same train of thought re the topic......but look at all the people who complain about LPC's and Mr. Blinkys and 35mm film cans. But how many of 'em would be willing to erase all those finds from their totals?

Ya dang Skippy they wouldn't!

~*

And this wasn't even one of my "lame" caches. It's in a beautiful area with a boardwalk overlooking a lake with lots of birds and lilly pads and frogs along the shoreline and maybe a lone canoe paddling out in the middle, and all it got was "NONE". Grrrrr.

Did you message them to let them know that the system must have not properly processed their logs, and then asked a series of questions about how they enjoyed the area and the find? I'd be interested to see how they respond when put on the spot by the cache owner. :D

- Elle

Talk about rude.

- Elle

It wasn't an email. It was an email notification of a found log. The found log simply said "NONE." I never received an email from anyone. Well, other than GC notifying me of the find.

I'm sooo confused. I don't remember asking any questions. Just stated that someone found one of my caches and simply wrote NONE for the on-line log. :rolleyes:

Did you message them to let them know that the system must have not properly processed their logs, and then asked a series of questions about how they enjoyed the area and the find? I'd be interested to see how they respond when put on the spot by the cache owner. :D

- Elle

Talk about rude.

- Elle

I'm sooo confused. I don't remember asking any questions. Just stated that someone found one of my caches and simply wrote NONE for the on-line log. :rolleyes:

My mistake. It was HH's series of questions, as you can see in the post that you referenced.

***Your placing of caches has nothing to do with it -- you don't hunt (hence, log) your own caches.***

No I don't, others do...and they can write what they want in the log...and I don't get upset over verbage.

***I thought that attitude was particularly arrogant***

Such is life. If your looking for a message board fight, you ain't going to get it...because, it does not bother me one bit if you write 1 word or use every word in the dictionary...in multiple languages. You can even write that my cache sucked...hey, thanks for stopping by...and I never delete logs.

If you want long stories, then make sure your web page has "Additional Logging Requirements" in it. Explain that in order to get credit, you require a minimum of 1000 words in 5 paragraphs and each paragraph must be numbered and begin with a capital letter...and the words must all be verbs and nouns describing the adventure.

Over-And-Out

Tell me - re the crappiest cache you (or anyone else) ever found. Didn't you take 'the point' for finding it?

Nope. Early in my caching days, I would log any drivel I encountered, but not anymore. If a cache is so uninspired that I can't think of something positive to say, I won't log anything at all. I estimate there are several dozen hides out there with my moniker in the log, without an on-line log.

I probably wrote more for my first caches, as they were unique to me (even the micro hung with a wire in a fence post). The more caches you see, the less unique they are.

plus, factor in when I hunt 1 cache, it's easy to wax poetic about it. when I hunt down 6 during lunch, I just want to get them logged and done with when I get back home.

I think some of you have totally missed the "logging" boat here, meaning, I think it's being looked at from only one perspective.

I write pretty lengthy and detailed logs, almost on every single cache, no matter what kind of cache it is or how much I did or didn't enjoy it. I don't always write logs specific to the cache. Sometimes I write about what I was doing up to the point I went for the cache, and what I did after I found the cache, as well as any comments I might have about the cache itself.

What I have been finding, as I go back through some of my logs, is that my geocaching has become a diary of sorts. I can go back to almost any cache, and usually I've written enough there that I can remember almost exactly what I was doing that day... and some of it is kind of eye-opening for me, given the perspective of looking back at the past from where I am now. And nearly always, I have that... "Oh yeah, I remember that" moment where parts of my life come floating back to me... parts that I had competely forgotten about.

I enjoy writing logs because I enjoy writing, and because I've decided to enjoy the writing of logs, I write pretty decent ones. Lately, because of a cache I did which required the logs to be in verse, I discovered I enjoyed composing that verse so much that now I have taken to composing poems specifically about every single cache that I find... yes, they are doggerel but I through them I've started learning about poetry forms as I struggle to make them unique. So far, no two of them have been alike, and while most are upbeat, some of the poems even tend to the negative side if it's another LPC, but... I guarantee that even a negative poem has some interest for the cache owner. Here's one I wrote about a DNF... Yes, even a DNF!

"Where my coordinates zeroed out

There was nothing there to see

I looked completely round about

Where in heaven could this be?

The cache notes written on the page

Say the stash box isn't small

So looking in each likely place, I gauged

It really wasn't there at all."

In my opinion, life is what you make it... and even the most boring lamppost cache can be an aspect of an otherwise nice day, and thus worth writing about. I don't subscribe to the philosophy that writing logs is a chore... for me, it's an end unto itself, a way to communicate with people and part of the caching experience which I savor. I rarely if ever write TFTCSL logs, because they are boring for ME!

I'm not mandating that anyone has to write logs like I do. I just tend to to see the positive in this aspect of geocaching. And there you have two more of my cents worth.

BlueDamsel

Edited by BlueDamsel

If the cache was bad, I sometimes use the phrase "Interesting place for a cache". Sounds like a compliment to some people.

A previous message in this thread mentiond TeamAlamo and dgreno, It might have been when they were moving a car from Florida to California and found 600 caches on the trip. If you have that many to log, I expect a cookie cutter log, much less have him remember the cache.

I have called him for a hint on a local cache he found maybe two weeks earlier and he said "I don't remember that cache, I've found 150 since then."

Or they could be wordy and really put down the cache like I did once:

Illegal Aliens hanging around at liquor store around corner-check

Cache in sharp holly leaves-check

Booze bottle in bush near cache-check

Used condom on ground near cache- check

Wet log-check.

Edited by Wacka

Log from a recent cache I found, hidden by BooBear:

I was checking email late one night

When my eyes beheld an eerie sight

For the boobear a new listing did devise

And suddenly to my surprise

He did the cache

He did the boobear cache

The boobear cache

It was a graveyard smash

He did the cache

It was found by a flash

He did the cache

He did the boobear cache

Okay, I'm known for writing really weird, off the wall logs that sometimes have nothing to do with the cache... but people seem to enjoy them. (What a shock - Sioneva is weird and off the wall! :rolleyes:)

I figure, if people are going to go to the trouble to hide a cache, I should take the time to reward them with an interesting log. Even for a quick PNG! Sometimes my logs are longer than the cache description. But that's okay. Logs are not just to record my experiences, or reward the hider, they should also be entertaining for other cachers to read. :)

A previous message in this thread mentiond TeamAlamo and dgreno, It might have been when they were moving a car from Florida to California and found 600 caches on the trip. If you have that many to log, I expect a cookie cutter log, much less have him remember the cache.

I have called him for a hint on a local cache he found maybe two weeks earlier and he said "I don't remember that cache, I've found 150 since then."

I remember this trip.........they did leave me a nice log after meeting me at one of my caches and mailed me a nice backpack which came in handy as my stuff flooded in Katrina.

My wife and I travel/cache a lot and found 400 on our last trip. I usually crash and she is up to midnight logging usually 20+ caches. If a cache has an outstanding feature we note it in our field notebook when we find the cache and include a statement regarding it along with a cut-paste paragraph in our log. Otherwise it gets a cut-paste only. When you do a lot of caches on a long trip its just hard.

On my own I really don't care but its nice to see a thoughtfull log on my better hides ( and I usually do ).

On GREAT hides by others I actually WATCH the cache to read the logs.

95% of the time IF YOU IMPRESS THEM, THEY WILL WRITE.