i still want it

flask

there is still no "visit log" button. there's am "edit" button, and a "delete" button, but no "view" button.

because my demands have not been met, you leave me with no choice but to make good on my threat.

please may we have a "visit log" button?

there. now that i have made good on my threat, you know that i mean business here and i am not afraid to follow through.

if you do not implement this button, you will leave me no choice but to ask again after a decent interval. i'll do it, i swear.

there is still no "visit log" button. there's am "edit" button, and a "delete" button, but no "view" button.

because my demands have not been met, you leave me with no choice but to make good on my threat.

please may we have a "visit log" button?

there. now that i have made good on my threat, you know that i mean business here and i am not afraid to follow through.

if you do not implement this button, you will leave me no choice but to ask again after a decent interval. i'll do it, i swear.

A ) do you REALLY have nothing better to moan about?

B ) There is a View Log button....what's the difference between this and your Visit Log button?

Edited by gse1986

B ) There is a View Log button....what's the difference between this and your Visit Log button?

A ) i happen to be catching up in the writing of my logs. do you REALLY have nothing more useful to say, o wise and venerable knower of all things?

B ) no, there isn't such a button on the log edit page, which is what i'm talking about. try to keep up.

A ) i happen to be catching up in the writing of my logs. do you REALLY have nothing more useful to say, o wise and venerable knower of all things?

B ) no, there isn't such a button on the log edit page, which is what i'm talking about. try to keep up.

I've reread the entire thread (as I did before I posted a reply to your "request" which you also call a demand - that's why i responded how I did because of the way you approach the "request" - similar to how a three year old would)

But all that aside, if you're wanting a new feature I think the first thing you need to do is make sure others understand what you want. I know a few have mentioned they understand but I don't and I imagine there could be a few others, possibly even a few lackeys, who'll be the ones coming up with what you want.

Could you write down the work flow of how this feature would fit in.

ie You arrive on the first cache's page, add a log, upload photos......and then? How does the first and second logs link together etc

:huh:

You do have a [view/edit logs/images] link and you can view/edit/link_to_a_forum log there. Or do you simply want a preview of the edited log?

She wants a link to the final posted version of the log that she can copy so she can paste it into her next log. Check out a few of her logs and I think you'll understand. Its really pretty cool.

I've reread the entire thread (as I did before I posted a reply to your "request" which you also call a demand - that's why i responded how I did because of the way you approach the "request" - similar to how a three year old would)

since you are comprehension-challenged, i'm going to explain this slowly and carefully to you: i have combined here a legitimate request for a reasonable feature with a satire of one style of user request.

it's a thing that i believe the lackeys intend to implement eventually, and i wish to put it into their attention periodically as a reminder. they understand what i want. i do not need YOU to understand it.

at the time i opened the thread there was, as there is from time to time, a rash of users demanding this or that thing and making threats about boycotts and such. the idea behind threatening to make a polite request periodically is that there is an error of scale wherein lies the subtle humor.

now run along and play.

it's a thing that i believe the lackeys intend to implement eventually, and i wish to put it into their attention periodically as a reminder. they understand what i want. i do not need YOU to understand it.

at the time i opened the thread there was, as there is from time to time, a rash of users demanding this or that thing and making threats about boycotts and such. the idea behind threatening to make a polite request periodically is that there is an error of scale wherein lies the subtle humor.

now run along and play.

gse1986, let it go. Those that need to understand do understand. She has said that she will be requesting and she is doing just that. At least her posts are more entertaining than just saying "bump".

Here is something to entertain as well...

(I made good on my threat from page 1 to go watch the kitty and the puppymonster.)

Edited by mtn-man

Dear Comrade in extremis --

The feature you're demanding with such ferocious and relentless discipline forms the basis for a noble geocaching cause if I ever saw one. Besides, it's a good idea.

If I ever get to the point where I find a series of caches in one day, I think I'd also be inspired to create a series of linked logs, so I also add my voice to the petition.

Take note, invisible Groundspeak-based watchers: I may, from time to time, come back and second flask's request, only in a random and unpredictable way. You will never know when the next request is coming. It may even be (shudder) more polite. The only way for you to be safe from these insidious random politely worded expressions of support for flask's campaign is to implement the feature. Tremble in your boots, O Powers that Be.

The feature you're demanding with such ferocious and relentless discipline forms the basis for a noble geocaching cause if I ever saw one. Besides, it's a good idea.

If I ever get to the point where I find a series of caches in one day, I think I'd also be inspired to create a series of linked logs, so I also add my voice to the petition.

Take note, invisible Groundspeak-based watchers: I may, from time to time, come back and second flask's request, only in a random and unpredictable way. You will never know when the next request is coming. It may even be (shudder) more polite. The only way for you to be safe from these insidious random politely worded expressions of support for flask's campaign is to implement the feature. Tremble in your boots, O Powers that Be.

oh, man. i nearly peed myself laughing.

Yo! Dudes and dudettes at Groundspeak: I think I'd be paying close attention here. This is not just an idle threat, from what I can tell. I'd do it, if I were you. Next release, at the latest, and you might even consider a special release just for that feature.

Tremble in your boots, O Powers that Be.

Keep in mind that I own a killer kitty, and I am not afraid to unleash him. :huh:

Killer kitties are tasty, like extra-spicy chicken. >: )

Not, of course, that I would be so rude as to consume your guardian. Oh, no. I would do something especially kind and polite, such as offer catnip and ear-and-back rubs. Yes, I may have to don plate gauntlets, depending on the ferocity of your own feline cerebrus on that particular day, but I would definitely take pains to be nice. : )

Edited to add: are you sufficiently intimidated so as to pressure the Powers that Be into implementing that to which I shall from now on refer as "The Feature"?

Edited by Jackalgirl

flask and Jackalgirl,

If you continue to insist on posting in that tone, as a Global Forum Moderator I would have no choice except to thank you.

And, if that does not work, our moderator guidelines would require me, upon a repeat offense, to temporarily suspend your posting rights in the Belgium section of the Groundspeak Forums for an appropriate "cooling off period" of two or three days.

You would want to make use of your break to recalibrate your choice of words, and to triangulate those words against our posted Forum Guidelines.

Should you not learn your lesson and repeat your behavior yet a third time, you would force me into my only remaining alternative: a complete and permanent BAN of your posting abilities in the Luxembourg section of the Groundspeak Forums.

Consider yourselves warned. If these disciplinary consequences should come about, you would have no one to blame but yourselves.

Should you not learn your lesson and repeat your behavior yet a third time, you would force me into my only remaining alternative: a complete and permanent BAN of your posting abilities in the Luxembourg section of the Groundspeak Forums.

Consider yourselves warned. If these disciplinary consequences should come about, you would have no one to blame but yourselves.

Luxembourg? Noooooo! You canny, cruel, heartless desperado!

Still, I must <gulp> screw my courage to the sticking point, for the cause is noble and the goal is lofty. Lo! My suffering will be vast (O, Luxembourg! How my heart will pine for thee!), but that is simply the sacrifice required by a logdom fighter such as myself must make -- harsh...so very harsh...it may be.

With that, I slink off into the sordid underbelly of the Internet to await the next opporunity to spring out and make my tactful consideration felt. Beware.

And, if that does not work, our moderator guidelines would require me, upon a repeat offense, to temporarily suspend your posting rights in the Belgium section of the Groundspeak Forums for an appropriate "cooling off period" of two or three days.

I think to keep in the spirit of things, they should be politely requested, with greatest regret, not to post in the Belgium section, and thanked for their cooperation, if such draconian measures should be deemed necessary.

I just logged a cache, so now I know what flask is talking about. There's no way this can be fixed easily with GreaseMonkey - to view the log, you need the log ID (or GUID). But after hitting submit, you don't have that, as pointed out earlier the URL is the same as the log entry page. You'll need to go back to the main page, load all the logs, find your post, and link to that. Not impossible, but definitely slower. Probably can be done by modifying Lil Devil's VIP List script, but it'll either be a few unnecessary refreshes, or an extra click or two. Not terribly elegant.

It would be a little silly for a company to set priority based on how likable a customer is. It was suggested earlier in another thread that Groundspeak might be ignoring feature requests on the basis that a specific person was asking for them. Very amusing. Everyone knows we flip a coin :D . While it's true you catch more flies with honey, we're not so vindictive as to be blinded to a legitimate need and we instead... what? Punish someone through inaction?

The truth is much more boring. More often than not, it's simply a function of people's priorities not lining up with Groundspeak's. Unfortunately, we have a long list of "must dos" before we can tackle the "nice to haves". In this case I think you have a legitimate "nice to have" that will become available if you're patient. Or if you're not. Either way.

you know, that's exactly the way i figured it.

it has always been my assumption that since it's not a huge deal that it might get tacked on with something more important one of these days. i figure i'll ask again every so often just to jar your memory.

at work when a kid wanted to put in a request for a particular activity and it wasn't on my top page, i'd tell them to remind me every week or so until i got around to it.

It seems like one of those things that someone could cobble together with a little Greasemonkey script.

Edit: Doh! I one-year-old thread and I miss making this suggestion by just a few hours. :D

Edited by The Cheeseheads

Doesn't seem to work for me. I could be overlooking something obvious, wouldn't be the first time.

Using Firefox? Have Greasemonkey add-on installed?

Yes and yes.

Script installed and enabled but I don't see anything different after submitting a log. Tested by logging notes on one of my caches. No button on the page that follows, URL in address bar is the same short numeric one that usually appears rather than the long hex(?) one that appears if I go back to the cache page and click view/edit log.

Stay tuned. I'm waiting for the indignant protest that flask refuses to install Firefox.

flask uses firefox and greasemonkey, but is hesitant to use any piece of anything that carries a requirement for silence on any subject.

Script installed and enabled but I don't see anything different after submitting a log. Tested by logging notes on one of my caches. No button on the page that follows, URL in address bar is the same short numeric one that usually appears rather than the long hex(?) one that appears if I go back to the cache page and click view/edit log.

It's not a button. That would be a poor choice for this function. The link will appear next to the "upload image" link in the upper right. By making it a link instead of a button, you can right-click on it, and copy the link's URL to the clipboard by using the "Copy Link Location" option on the context menu.

Stay tuned. I'm waiting for the indignant protest that flask refuses to install Firefox.

flask uses firefox and greasemonkey, but is hesitant to use any piece of anything that carries a requirement for silence on any subject.

Many of my scripts have later found their functions added to the GC site (totals by log type, driving directions, instant hint decryption, etc). But if the people asking for a change are hesitant to use a readily available interim solution, I doubt GC would ever bother wasting time on a code change to add it to the site.

Many of my scripts have later found their functions added to the GC site (totals by log type, driving directions, instant hint decryption, etc). But if the people asking for a change are hesitant to use a readily available interim solution, I doubt GC would ever bother wasting time on a code change to add it to the site.

I installed this script tonight. I have rebooted several times and it still doesn't show me a link. :laughing:

I think flask is only against your attempt to infringe on her first amendment rights :laughing:

Also found the bug in the script, it's only enabled by default for:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?wid=*

that should be:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?id=*

Or probably just

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx*

since i'm not sure in what case it's "wid" vs "id" vs "lid".

Right click on Monkey face, Manage User Script

Select GC View Log Link

In the Included Pages box, select the link and edit. Change wid to ID. It should read :

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=*

I tested it. It now works for me.

608326407_DDsSX-XL.jpg

that should be:

Or probably just

Select GC View Log Link

In the Included Pages box, select the link and edit. Change wid to ID. It should read :

608326407_DDsSX-XL.jpg

That does indeed give me a link. I notice that it goes to ...LID=. I'm not sure what the difference is but when I click the view link on a log made by somebody else it goes to ...LUID, which looks to be the link desired.

That does indeed give me a link. I notice that it goes to ...LID=. I'm not sure what the difference is but when I click the view link on a log made by somebody else it goes to ...LUID, which looks to be the link desired.

Both would get you to your log.

LID identifies it by the log ID. Each log is given an ID, increased by 1 for every log the system generates.

LUID is the log's GUID, or globally unique identifier. I'm not sure why Groundspeak found it necessary to have a GUID in addition to an already unique ID, but as long as you know either one, you can get to the log.

Both would get you to your log.

LID identifies it by the log ID. Each log is given an ID, increased by 1 for every log the system generates.

LUID is the log's GUID, or globally unique identifier. I'm not sure why Groundspeak found it necessary to have a GUID in addition to an already unique ID, but as long as you know either one, you can get to the log.

Thanks, you are indeed correct. I even checked by logging out and trying the URL.

Many thanks to Prime Suspect for the script, that's another of yours that I'll be using.

<Waits for website to crash 'cause me & Chrysalides borked something.>

that should be:

Or probably just

Select GC View Log Link

I know. That's how i found and verified the bug.

But good to include that info for those who don't know how to fix it themselves.

I think flask is only against your attempt to infringe on her first amendment rights

not constitutional rights, but i take conditions and promises seriously, even if they are goofy.

while i am interested in the script, i know i would regret accepting its terms.

well?

must i adhere to the condition, or may i try the button unencumbered?

Are you seriously considering not using this script [that does exactly what you're asking for] because of a joke? Seems sort of pigheaded to me.

Well, you certainly sound rather OpinionNated on the issue. :blink:

Seriously, I hope that flask is just kidding, but somehow I don't think she is...

i would like to try this script that i think does exactly what i want, but the guy who made it placed a requirement on it, and i feel i have to either honor his requirement or not use the button.

maybe some people would just take what they want and worry about the rule later, but i feel bound.

if there's one thing i know about myself, it is that i have an intrinsic inability to stop talking about a thing just because i'm told to.

it isn't about being pig-headed; it is about respect and i am hoping to be given dispensation.