Personal logging question

Canadianzombie

I was wondering how other people log their finds. Do you use a paper journal or do you do it electronically. I've only found 4 caches, but it'd be cool to have a record of when I found it and who was with me at the time. I tried a paper notebook from our local Wally World, but the pages are sketchy and I figure will tear out after a weeks use. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Cheers

Mark

You could do all that with your online, geocaching.com logs. You can type as much or as little as you want. You're not charged extra for a long entry. You can also post your photos there for a visual record. I love seeing log entries on my hidden caches that are meaningful, not just the plain TNLNSL. Enjoy.

the issue keeps getting flogged, but people appreciate it if you go ahead and write some of the details in your online log. in the days before brain damage, i used to remember every cache and write about it later. these days i tale a lot of pictures (also usually welcome in the online log) and i make some notes in a little notebook.

Here is what I do. I'm a paper cacher, meaning I always take the print out from the site (the 'make this page printer friendly' link). That way I got the coordinates, clue, description and paper to note any thing I might. Like who was along, any critters seen, what I left and traded for. Then I keep them in a 3 ring binder with a printout of the on-line log. (that comes from the 'print PDF link with last 5 logs)

It's a lot of work, but I like being able to show it to friends, or look at it myself without having to use the 'puter. Luckily I only find about 50 or so a year, otherwise my note books would over take the house!

Happy caching!

I used to keep a paper journal of sorts. I would print out the cache page and then jot down some notes, such as my "adventure" in getting to/from the cache, wildlife I saw, etc. After a while it just wasn't really an option for me personally to keep a log like that. I just log everything online here, and refer back to my logs. I also take photos. Most of these I keep in a Geocaching folder on my PC to look at once in a while.

I just use the online logs to keep track of my finds. Before I went paperless I'd have all the cache pages in a stack and as I found each cache I'd write a few notes on it about what I took and left and a few comments about the hunt so I could remember each one for the online log. Now that I'm paperless I just enter this stuff in Cachemate.

the issue keeps getting flogged, but people appreciate it if you go ahead and write some of the details in your online log. in the days before brain damage, i used to remember every cache and write about it later. these days i tale a lot of pictures (also usually welcome in the online log) and i make some notes in a little notebook.

:D I don't know what I would do without my camera. It's the only way I can remember where I've been and what I've done. The external hardrive is getting waaay too full, though. :lol:

:lol: I don't know what I would do without my camera. It's the only way I can remember where I've been and what I've done. The external hardrive is getting waaay too full, though. :rolleyes:

Interesting, and somehow gratifying to know others depend on their cameras as I have to. I even mentioned that in a recent blog entry, which still needs to be "fleshed out" . . . if I can remember the details . . .

Get yourself a blog. I find that after every caching adventure or hiding or maintaining, whatever, I blog it.

Gives me a nice record of what I did, if anything was interesting, or reminds me "how I got that scar!"

We also keep record in a composite notebook to help us track what was found and who the owner is.

funny how you find a nice pattern with certain cache owners once you have been doing it for a time.

Hi, Welcome to geocaching..I use a 5x7 spiral notebook and log every cache I find in the field for record purposes. I know two cachers with over 12,000 caches each and they have every cache found recorded in their personal log book.. They have a large library of 7x10 notebooks....The log book is helpful to use for logging caches after arriving home from a cache run. All your caches are recorded in your geocaching profile and on a monthly basis, your Geo account....Yes, use a hand written log, you will be glad you did....

I know several people who use bound journals to record their experiences. They are more sturdy than $0.50 wire-bound notebooks from Wally-World. They're especially useful if you also parcipate in Letterboxing (for the stamps).

Please excuse the noise. testing.

test

Wouldn't it be just awesome if someone created a thread and called it something like "TEST POSTING AREA - ALL TEST POSTS HERE PLEASE". Then they could pin it at the top of the "Getting Started" forum. That way people could put test posts there instead of in other threads.

I was wondering how other people log their finds. Do you use a paper journal or do you do it electronically.

I save all of mine electronically. I use GSAK and Cachemate. Of course, I also have an outboard backup hardrive! Since I also log in GC.Com, those logs are my emergency backup. GSAK is cheap, too!! It's only $30 and does everything you could possibly want it to.

I've written a couple of blogs about GSAK and Cachemate. They're at: http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

Cache Safe!!!!

Grigorii Rasputin

http://www.glass-cockpit.org

I take a print out of the cache page with me, then write on that if I found or didn't find it, along with details of any TB movements or swaps, then I write everything in the online log.

Cache owners really appreciate decent online logs for their caches, we put alot of time and effort into placing caches so it's nice to see some feedback online, a little info on how easy/hard the hunt was, what you saw on the way etc and maybe a photo means so much more than just "found it! TFTC".

Yes, find a personal note book to log your finds and a personal notebook to log your hides. These note books will always be with you and at times are very useful. These notebooks are just to record your finds as you find the caches and when you hide a cache. I know a couple that have over 11,000 caches each and they have logged every cache find and cache hide. I am amazed at their commitment. Happy caching and keep on logging....I keep the same logs...

just test

Welcome to the forums! :D

If you want to test post, instead of bumping a two year old thread, how about trying this thread:

AVATAR TESTING and INSTRUCTIONS TEST POSTING AREA - ALL TEST POSTS HERE PLEASE

Over in the Getting Started Forum

You can post tests all day, to your hearts content, without having to bump old threads, or breaking an ongoing new thread. :)

I carry a digital voice recorder with me when I cache. Got one for only $20, and it works great. I start a recording for every cache I attempt, begin by saying the name of the cache, what size the container is, interesting info from the description, etc. All of this info from my paperless gps unit while walking toward the cache.

I then pause it until I have something of note to add while hunting for the cache. For example, if I spot a fox, or get my foot wet, etc, I make note of it, to remember for my online log. When I find the cache, I usually record myself opening it up, and going through the swag, to capture the excitement of finding neat items inside. I record what I took, and what I left, as well as the condition of the container. If it's wet inside, or the log book is full, etc, I say so in my recording.

When I get home from my adventure, I sit at the computer with my recorder and play back my recordings of each cache as I log them online. I find it very enjoyable, and would recommend it to anyone! The neat part about it, is that you can go back in time and listen to your adventures from way back, and remember your experiences more clearly. Lots of fun!

I carry a digital voice recorder with me when I cache. Got one for only $20, and it works great. I start a recording for every cache I attempt, begin by saying the name of the cache, what size the container is, interesting info from the description, etc. All of this info from my paperless gps unit while walking toward the cache.

I then pause it until I have something of note to add while hunting for the cache. For example, if I spot a fox, or get my foot wet, etc, I make note of it, to remember for my online log. When I find the cache, I usually record myself opening it up, and going through the swag, to capture the excitement of finding neat items inside. I record what I took, and what I left, as well as the condition of the container. If it's wet inside, or the log book is full, etc, I say so in my recording.

When I get home from my adventure, I sit at the computer with my recorder and play back my recordings of each cache as I log them online. I find it very enjoyable, and would recommend it to anyone! The neat part about it, is that you can go back in time and listen to your adventures from way back, and remember your experiences more clearly. Lots of fun!

Neat idea - and we even have one of those recorders kicking around here - somewhere!

:D I don't know what I would do without my camera. It's the only way I can remember where I've been and what I've done. The external hardrive is getting waaay too full, though. :lol:

Get a home server. They're extremely convenient and it makes it easier to share the photos with your entire family.

Wouldn't it be just awesome if someone created a thread and called it something like "TEST POSTING AREA - ALL TEST POSTS HERE PLEASE". Then they could pin it at the top of the "Getting Started" forum. That way people could put test posts there instead of in other threads.

Oh come on. Let's be serious here. Every one of us has hopes, wishes, and desires. We want to fly, soar high above our hardships. We want to feel the sun on our faces and the wind in our hair as we ride away from conquering another one of life's relentless, unforgiving challenges. It's part of being human. Some of these wishes are more likely than others to be granted. Others we can only savor in our dreams. Guess which yours is.

I mean really. A test posting area? How old are you? 7? smh