Pathtag Sherpa

Theotokos

So, I was wondering how many folks out there have (or have thought about sending) either a Pathtag Sherpa or Blarney Coin traveling into the wild or from event to event and what Pathtags you might have attached to them? These geocoins are pretty cool and with the 1000's of Pathtags being made, there can be a lot of interesting variations.

I have a few Sherpas and Blarney coins but my tags don't look very good on them. I was still thinking of sending them out but wasn't sure if the tags would last long or if people even notice them? Do you expect someone to take your tag and then let the Sherpa continue? I'm of course always worried about sending any geocoin out into the wild. Do others have any stories of these travelers and how the Coins and Pathtags attached to them fare? Also, do you think most people that find the Sherpa and/or Blarney Geocoin will log the Pathtags too?

I would also love to see any photos of the various Pathtags you might have that are hitching on for the ride or that you are thinking of possibly sending out attached to your Sherpa.

Edited by Theotokos

Sherpas and Blarney Coins - this is new to me. I did get sent a coin as part of a mission and it did have a pathtag attached to it, I'm such a silly billy I undid them so I could put the coin with the coins and the pathtags with the pathtags, any how long story short I believe they are now re-united, I took the coin to Italy and I think it might be back in the USA now. Does that mean that the coin the pathtag was attached to was a Sherpa coin?

Do tell more.

http://www.geocoincollection.com/cointrade/4139.gif

A Pathtag Sherpa is a geocoin designed to "carry" a pathtag. The sherpa is trackable on Geocaching.com. This combo makes a good marriage of Pathtags and Geocoins for those of us who do both. I have a sherpa, I just can't let coins go to travel. I did have a Blarney Coin too, but sent it off to Roddy hoping to bring him good luck.

Jodi

Edited by Team FIREBOY

A Pathtag Sherpa is a geocoin designed to "carry" a pathtag. The sherpa is trackable on Geocaching.com. This combo makes a good marriage of Pathtags and Geocoins for those of us who do both. I have a sherpa, just can't let coins go to travel though.

Wow - I've never seen that before, I love that coin. I've seen a couple of coins on ebay that sort of opened and there was a coin inside a coin, would those have been sherpas too, carrying a pathtag inside ?

A Pathtag Sherpa is a geocoin designed to "carry" a pathtag. The sherpa is trackable on Geocaching.com. This combo makes a good marriage of Pathtags and Geocoins for those of us who do both. I have a sherpa, just can't let coins go to travel though.

Wow - I've never seen that before, I love that coin. I've seen a couple of coins on ebay that sort of opened and there was a coin inside a coin, would those have been sherpas too, carrying a pathtag inside ?

There is another coin which I think they call the 'Spy' coin. The Pathtag is actually inside this coin but not held in by a magnet like the Sherpa or Blarney. The Sherpa and Blarney (others?) coins hold your Pathtag in place with a strong magnet. They are great and if you think about cost wise, you can get a 100 pathtags and 10 or more Sherpas for cheaper than your own personal trackable coin.

Then you can attach all your wonderful designed Pathtags and show them off to the world if you like.

I'm working on a new tag-carrying trackable host coin for the geocoinstore. What would you like/not like to see on the magnetic side to frame your tag? I'm still throwing a lot of sketches around thinking about it. :)

I'll definitely give it some thought and pass anything along. It's got to be tough since there are so many variations of Pathtags. Mine don't look that good because of the color combinations I have and they tend to get lost in the intricacy of the wonderful geocoin design. I do have 3 new designs and look forward to seeing how they work with the coins.

It would be interesting to see and pictures others might have of their Pathtag and Sherpas combination to see how they look together.

I agree..I think plainer ones would be good, because then all of our pathtags (and that's a collective "our" not just the Tank Hound ones) would look good in them.

I have the Sherpa and I keep meaning to send it out, but keep forgetting to do it. I took the pathtag out for my collection and will put in one of ours. I don't mind if someone takes ours out and puts another one in...but I would hate for someone to just "take" our PT out...

Is that Red ornate pathtag the one that originally comes with the Sherpa? Is it possible to buy them or do you have to be a member of the Geocoin club?

The Sherpa tag is only available with the Sherpa coin, but they're available together still at the geocoinstore.com website. The last reorder was small and when these ones are gone, they'll probably be gone for good because I'm working on the new one now. :P

edit: Nope, you don't have to be a Club member.

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Is that Red ornate pathtag the one that originally comes with the Sherpa? Is it possible to buy them or do you have to be a member of the Geocoin club?

The Sherpa tag is only available with the Sherpa coin, but they're available together still at the geocoinstore.com website. The last reorder was small and when these ones are gone, they'll probably be gone for good because I'm working on the new one now. :P

edit: Nope, you don't have to be a Club member.

I was tempted - but the shipping at $8.50 for two coins is steep, I have received coins in the mail this week from USA, shipping was less than $2 on both packages. :P

I would like to see one that is more plain. The ones out now, are too beautiful to remove the matching pathtag and send it out. :P

We very much agree. Also, they should probably be in antique nickel, as the basic Pathtag plating is silver. Just our two shiny peices of worthless copper.

I would like to see one that is more plain. The ones out now, are too beautiful to remove the matching pathtag and send it out. :P

We very much agree. Also, they should probably be in antique nickel, as the basic Pathtag plating is silver. Just our two shiny peices of worthless copper.

I'll do a compare tonight, but that's a thought! A darker and less intricate background so your Tag stands out. How about silver or nickel with a large amount of black enamel surround? I'm going to play around with this a bit, thanks :P

That sounds great. The black nickel would give it depth, and the silver and black would make most tags stand out. Would it be possible to give options? Maybe a gold with the black? I know it's a pain to mint something that might not sell, but it's just a thought. It would give us more options, allowing a match to more tags. But whichever you use, I think the black is definately the way to go over the red. Black matches anything.

Maybe a gold with the black?

I can't imagine why not. Probably copper as well. People could pick the one that matches their Tag best.

Love the Sherpa coin!

Your new thoughts are intriguing especially since Pathtags can now be had in gold, black nickel and copper in addition to the original silver. So different metal choices with your fabulous designs Chris would be very cool.

Of course I would have to have them all. :laughing:

Like the new avatar. :anicute::anitongue:

So, what is your favorite Pathtag? I would like to see what people think would be a cool tag to send out traveling.

It is very hard to choose one tag but this one would be my favorite as it was my very first tag. I don't have my own photo so I took the one from the Pathtag site. I really like how colorful the BflyLady Tag is and unfortunately this picture doesn't do it justice.

bfly.gif

Edited by Theotokos

Friendly reminder:

This thread is about the Sherpa - which is trackable and allowed to be discussed.

This thread is not about PathTags - which are NOT trackable and not allowed to be discussed in these forums.

Please keep the discussion focused on the Sherpa.

Thank you.

just like the actual Sherpa, it's very hard to separate the tag from the coin. :unsure:

Heres some pics of my two traveling Sherpas. One is in England, the other is in Calgary, AB

<snip>

f4b87f1e-c96c-4be0-abc5-7b0606f62a4d.jpg

Of course you would like the trackable Sherpa which held your tag. :huh: I like the fact that the center of the Sherpa can be changed out, thereby changing the look of the Sherpa, or allowing the mission of the coin to change. Now that IS cool.

Friendly reminder:

This thread is about the Sherpa - which is trackable and allowed to be discussed.

This thread is not about PathTags - which are NOT trackable and not allowed to be discussed in these forums.

Please keep the discussion focused on the Sherpa.

Thank you.

just like the actual Sherpa, it's very hard to separate the tag from the coin. B)

Just what is the reason were NOT allowed to talk about trackable Pathtags anyware in Geocaching.coms happy little world? ;) Because their not trackable on GC.com or because they don't pay GC.com for tracking numbers? Maybe some other reason for the CENSORSHIP? Humm? Sherpas show and tell their Pathtags from cache to cache just like any other coin or trading item. Were not talking about something bad here when we mention PTs :) Geez... Who started the fight between Pathtags.com and Geocaching.com anyway? Thats what I want to know! :)

I'd like to see one that is simple and elegantly plain, available in different metals, and open in the back so that the pathtag number showed through.

I love enameled coins, but I REALLY love all metal coins. I think it takes so much to make a great looking all metal coin where the design and work of the coin is what is really pops.

Another benefit of it would be that it would really let the tag show off without the tag competing with the sherpa!

Am I just way out in left field on this one?

Naomi

I'd like to see one that is simple and elegantly plain, available in different metals,

Another benefit of it would be that it would really let the tag show off without the tag competing with the sherpa!

Naomi

Simple & show off the tag without competing with the sherpa! AYE! I would be in for that one!

I'd like to see one that is simple and elegantly plain, available in different metals, and open in the back so that the pathtag number showed through.

I love enameled coins, but I REALLY love all metal coins. I think it takes so much to make a great looking all metal coin where the design and work of the coin is what is really pops.

Naomi

The new 'Tag carrying coin is in the works now. It is much, much simpler in design and built more to showcase your tags now. I'm working on another 'Tag carrying coin that should be even more discreet in design. Unfortunately, we don't have a method to attach the coin with the tag showing through because they're held on with rare-earth magnets, but I'll talk to production and see what options we might have. Thanks for the input :sad:

So, I was wondering how many folks out there have (or have thought about sending) either a Pathtag Sherpa or Blarney Coin traveling into the wild or from event to event and what Pathtags you might have attached to them? These geocoins are pretty cool and with the 1000's of Pathtags being made, there can be a lot of interesting variations.

I have a few Sherpas and Blarney coins but my tags don't look very good on them. I was still thinking of sending them out but wasn't sure if the tags would last long or if people even notice them? Do you expect someone to take your tag and then let the Sherpa continue? I'm of course always worried about sending any geocoin out into the wild. Do others have any stories of these travelers and how the Coins and Pathtags attached to them fare? Also, do you think most people that find the Sherpa and/or Blarney Geocoin will log the Pathtags too?

I would also love to see any photos of the various Pathtags you might have that are hitching on for the ride or that you are thinking of possibly sending out attached to your Sherpa.

I sent mine out carrying my Pathtag and it was stolen after only two or three hops.

If you have one, you may just want to hang on to it.

I'm working on a new tag-carrying trackable host coin for the geocoinstore. What would you like/not like to see on the magnetic side to frame your tag? I'm still throwing a lot of sketches around thinking about it. :D

an easy way to get the tag off,, i seem to have a hard time with out chipping the enamel or scraching the metal with a pin or screwdriver,, and no go with fingers alone.

I'm working on a new tag-carrying trackable host coin for the geocoinstore. What would you like/not like to see on the magnetic side to frame your tag? I'm still throwing a lot of sketches around thinking about it. :D

an easy way to get the tag off,, i seem to have a hard time with out chipping the enamel or scraching the metal with a pin or screwdriver,, and no go with fingers alone.

Sadly, it took me some time before someone showed me... just press down near any edge of the PathTag and the other side will pop up to be easily removed. Hope that helps :(

there is another coin just like the pathtag sherpa, i forget what its called but comes in black and white and is very basic. i used to have 2 but traded them away. if i remember the name i will come back.

That's the PathTag Transporter coin I believe. There's also the Irish "Lucky Horseshoe" PathTag coin and they all work the same way. We built them that way to help avoid the 'Tags getting knocked out accidentally during regular travel and handling. Some people even remove them by simply slapping them down against their hand while cupping their palm to remove them, but it doesn't work as well as you'd expect (well for me it didn't anyway).

there is another coin just like the pathtag sherpa, i forget what its called but comes in black and white and is very basic. i used to have 2 but traded them away. if i remember the name i will come back.

That's the PathTag Transporter coin I believe. There's also the Irish "Lucky Horseshoe" PathTag coin and they all work the same way. We built them that way to help avoid the 'Tags getting knocked out accidentally during regular travel and handling. Some people even remove them by simply slapping them down against their hand while cupping their palm to remove them, but it doesn't work as well as you'd expect (well for me it didn't anyway).

YUP thats it,, the transporter. they are very basic, as peps are mentioning they want here , black and white, any path tag would go in one of those,, well!