"Reserved" First to Find

In a nutshell:

A Local cacher recently hit the 3000 milestone (The cacher did it VERY quickly)

Several other cachers got together and placed caches in honor of this great feat and posted "Please let so and so be the FTF"

It is truly a great feat and the cacher has hidden oodles and oodles of caches. Not only do they find them, they hide them.

The question I have is... Should the caches that were placed been "reserved FTF" for the cacher meeting the milestone? They were just that... (requested in the cache posting). I think that if they wanted to place caches for one particular person to find they should have done it privately.

And once again.. the cacher being honored deserves it.. but it still seems incorrect...

Thoughts?

A cache that was placed for my 1000th milestone was FTF'd by another local cacher. The hiders tried to email me the coordinates ahead of time, but I was already out caching by the time that email came in, and then the cache got published. Yeah... I have to admit that I thought it was a bit tacky that someone else took FTF on my tribute cache, but it didn't exactly torment me. I've since learned to deal with it through much therapy and help from friends and loved ones. :angry:

Had a very similar situation when I and some friends placed a cache for our local mega-cacher (2000 finds in about 6 months). We tried to let him get FTF, but it didn't happen.

That said, politeness does dictate that on an obvious tribute cache, that you should wait until the guest of honor has found it before you go for it, or at least until you post. After all, it is a tribute to someone other than you.

If anything the cache should be targeted at NEW cachers, cachers with just a few finds to encourage them that someday they could reach an important milestone of their own.

Hmmm... Pondering... Ya know, I kinda like that idea! I know a couple fairly new but highly motivated cachers who, due mostly to geography, have their caching centroid near a large city. I could create something out in a swamp as a means to entice them to a higher plane of natural environment then they are used to. :angry:

(Yeah, Janet, I'm talking about you!)

I would forgo the request that they be allowed the FTF though. I'll just give them the coords prior to publication.

We will have to agree to disagree. To me it would be selfish to spoil the fun just because you wanted to be FTF.

El Diablo

I'm not trying to spoil anyone's fun.

You stick your birthday cake out in the middle of a park and advertise it on a public site that is designed to notify people that it is available to be found, and you expect compliance on who can log it first. That's all this is.

Good analogy.

When I was a kid, everyone was welcome to have a slice of the birthday cake, but it was rude to have a piece before the birthday boy or girl.

Even more rude if it's a wedding cake.

If you ask me it's a pretty weird way to honor people for an caching accomplishment. Hey! you did so well we're going to hand you a freebie while restricting everyone else's efforts. Enjoy, you deserve it!

:angry:

The honoree isn't getting a freebie. He (she?) has to go out and find the cache, just like anybody else. Also, no one is being restricted. They can also find the cache. The cache owners are simply, politely, asking them to let the honoree find the cache first.

If you ask me, the rude people are those who can't wait a day or two to find a cache. It's not like the cache owners were paid to hide the caches. Instead, they are giving the community a gift. They are merely asking people to pause a brief moment and let the honoree find it first.

I'm not looking to have my cake and eat it too. I even said that placing a tribute cache asking that the honoree do the FTF is fine. (Even though it is weird).

Setting it up and bad mouthing others for not meeting your expectations doesn’t really make me think this is a community gift.

In a nutshell:

Several other cachers got together and placed caches in honor of this great feat and posted "Please let so and so be the FTF"

It is truly a great feat and the cacher has hidden oodles and oodles of caches. Not only do they find them, they hide them.

The question I have is... Should the caches that were placed been "reserved FTF" for the cacher meeting the milestone? They were just that... (requested in the cache posting). I think that if they wanted to place caches for one particular person to find they should have done it privately.

And once again.. the cacher being honored deserves it.. but it still seems incorrect...

Thoughts?

A cache that was placed for my 1000th milestone was FTF'd by another local cacher. The hiders tried to email me the coordinates ahead of time, but I was already out caching by the time that email came in, and then the cache got published. Yeah... I have to admit that I thought it was a bit tacky that someone else took FTF on my tribute cache, but it didn't exactly torment me. I've since learned to deal with it through much therapy and help from friends and loved ones. :angry:

Had a very similar situation when I and some friends placed a cache for our local mega-cacher (2000 finds in about 6 months). We tried to let him get FTF, but it didn't happen.

That said, politeness does dictate that on an obvious tribute cache, that you should wait until the guest of honor has found it before you go for it, or at least until you post. After all, it is a tribute to someone other than you.

As stated before, I like these type of caches. It gives the community an opportunity to honor a local cacher. I do think that it should be coordinated with the intended honoree. Let them know what you are planning and work with them to see what day would work best for them. Then work with the local Reviewer to publish the cache on that day.

As to giving that person a freebie....I don't think so. They are hunting a cache that has been placed in their honor. I'm sure when they log the cache being the FTF was the last thing from their mind. The thought was more like, someone thought enough of me to place a cache marking a mile milestone in my caching history.

It saddens me that so many people think being the FTF is more important than honoring one of thier local cachers.

El Diablo

Stipman: I have thouroughly enjoyed this thread, and your comments have been genuine, thoughtful, and respectful. Thanks!

Arthur and Trillian: Sorry this local custom has offended you so traumatically. If you want to come find our caches, we will give you a cookie and some hot milk!

BD: We promise never to hide anything in your honor.

And now I've got to move on to more important issues, like "What the heck has gone wrong with the Mets?"

Truly, we are a friendly bunch out here in the land of the Barren Pines, and we welcome anyone to come on over and hunt some of the great caches we have hidden here...

I agree with what so many others have said here... if they want to hide for someone in-particular, it should be done privately (and I've actually seen other caches do this sort of thing). But once it hits the site in a published form, I think it's a FFA (Free-For-All); otherwise it's detracting a bit from the site/idea, IMO.

As someone else pointed out, too... I'd much rather get a FTF the "honest" way (albeit sometimes at some ridiculous hour of the evening) than to basically have things "held" for me.

For my step-father's birthday, for example... weather permitting (rather than blizzard conditions), his "gift" was going to be down in a private ammo box in some random leaf pile or something for him to "fetch." *laugh*

In a nutshell:

This is Absolute Bull. Congrads on the milestone, but you are the only one ot be able to claim FTF. Yeah Right.

Congrads again!

NO! The First to Find is not a Reservable thing. The First to find is the First person that can place their hands knowingly on the cache, open it and sign the log.

Congrads on the milestone

Thoughts?

Sorry if I'm harsh, but everyone should understand the words First to Find.

I like that idea... give the cacher a "heads up" before the cache is posted. It's amazing how fast caches get found after they are posted... many time within hours... I have to say, if you post a cache listing it should be avaiable to everyone (or if desired Premium Members only). There is nothing wrong with giving a cacher the heads up before its posted.

Hours... you must live in the middle of nowhere... out here, If your not within 10 miles of the cache when its published, you have Little to NO chance... there's about 20 cachers out here that are FTF Hounds. If you miss the IM or even Hesitate about going after it rite now, then your pretty much too late. This includes those caches that are published at 2am in the morning. I've gotten off work, and almost home as one is published, be 5 miles away, and STILL miss the FTF at 2 in the morning.

The Steaks

Wow! Hot topic for the first day...

Not having read all the previous posts, I'm sure that I am only saying what has already been said, but...

In some areas, "tribute" caches are not very common, so the local convention hasn't been established. It's "not known" that the honor should go to the one being payed tribute.

Having less that 600 finds, we have been "honored" with two tribute caches. We RACED to each one assuming that we had to work harder to assure we nailed these. I don't feel that a tribute cache is an automatic FTF, and shouldn't be.

That being said, there are a few local cachers approaching 1000 finds that I wouldn't think of searching for their tribute cache until after the honoree has made the attempt.

If anything the cache should be targeted at NEW cachers, cachers with just a few finds to encourage them that someday they could reach an important milestone of their own.

Hmmm... Pondering... Ya know, I kinda like that idea! I know a couple fairly new but highly motivated cachers who, due mostly to geography, have their caching centroid near a large city. I could create something out in a swamp as a means to entice them to a higher plane of natural environment then they are used to. :wub:

(Yeah, Janet, I'm talking about you!)

I would forgo the request that they be allowed the FTF though. I'll just give them the coords prior to publication.

ROFL..... :) I'll be waiting for those coords... :rolleyes:

Edited by Flatouts

And now I've got to move on to more important issues, like "What the heck has gone wrong with the Mets?"

Truly, we are a friendly bunch out here in the land of the Barren Pines, and we welcome anyone to come on over and hunt some of the great caches we have hidden here...

Turns out that the Mets have taken their motivation, drive, and basic baseball skills and hidden them in a cache somewhere .... most likely this one....Can't find it... Someone needs to send Willie Randolph a GPSr so he and the team can find their way!

Edited by stipman
You say this...
The honoree isn't getting a freebie. He (she?) has to go out and find the cache, just like anybody else. Also, no one is being restricted. They can also find the cache. The cache owners are simply, politely, asking them to let the honoree find the cache first.
Then you say this...
If you ask me, the rude people are those who can't wait a day or two to find a cache. It's not like the cache owners were paid to hide the caches. Instead, they are giving the community a gift. They are merely asking people to pause a brief moment and let the honoree find it first.
Asking people to hold off their game while you play yours seems restrictive to me. :rolleyes:
The cache owners are not restricting anyone. They are merely asking other cachers to restrict themselves for a short period. It's not like this is being mandated or that people are even being 'restricted' for an inordinate amount of time. Everyone has the opportunity to go find the cache. Everyone can even log the cache.

Think of it like the week before Christmas. Someone bought you a present. They carefully picked it out in hopes that you will like it. The wrapped it and put a big bow on it. They then placed it below the Christmas tree. All you have to do is wait a few days and get your present. My parents' policy was that if you couldn't wait for Christmas to see your gift, you don't deserve the gift.

We will have to agree to disagree. To me it would be selfish to spoil the fun just because you wanted to be FTF.

El Diablo

You stick your birthday cake out in the middle of a park and advertise it on a public site that is designed to notify people that it is available to be found, and you expect compliance on who can log it first. That's all this is.

Good analogy.

When I was a kid, everyone was welcome to have a slice of the birthday cake, but it was rude to have a piece before the birthday boy or girl.

If you ask me it's a pretty weird way to honor people for an caching accomplishment. Hey! you did so well we're going to hand you a freebie while restricting everyone else's efforts. Enjoy, you deserve it!

:wub:

I'm not looking to have my cake and eat it too. I even said that placing a tribute cache asking that the honoree do the FTF is fine. (Even though it is weird).

Setting it up and bad mouthing others for not meeting your expectations doesn’t really make me think this is a community gift.

Actually, the person who set up the cache hasn't bad mouthed anybody. The people who insist that they must eat cake before the birthday boy sits down appear to be experiencing the most bellyachage. Edited by sbell111
You say this...
Then you say this...
Asking people to hold off their game while you play yours seems restrictive to me. :rolleyes:
The cache owners are not restricting anyone. They are merely asking other cachers to restrict themselves for a short period. It's not like this is being mandated or that people are even being 'restricted' for an inordinate amount of time. Everyone has the opportunity to go find the cache. Everyone can even log the cache.

Think of it like the week before Christmas. Someone bought you a present. They carefully picked it out in hopes that you will like it. The wrapped it and put a big bow on it. They then placed it below the Christmas tree. All you have to do is wait a few days and get your present. My parents' policy was that if you couldn't wait for Christmas to see your gift, you don't deserve the gift.

El Diablo

Good analogy.

:wub:

Actually, the person who set up the cache hasn't bad mouthed anybody. The people who insist that they must eat cake before the birthday boy sits down appear to be experiencing the most bellyachage.

:) I knew way back at the start of this thread that you'd be quoting quotes of quotes quoting quotes. :D

:rolleyes: I knew way back at the start of this thread that you'd be quoting quotes of quotes quoting quotes. :wub:

What is your point, related to this thread's topic?

Believe it or not, but people are allowed to post to this thread. They are even allowed to post a comment if someone replies to one of their posts. It is that kind of dialog that makes these discussions worthwile.

Edited by sbell111
:rolleyes: I knew way back at the start of this thread that you'd be quoting quotes of quotes quoting quotes. :wub:

What is your point, related to this thread's topic?

Believe it or not, but people are allowed to post to this thread. They are even allowed to post a comment if someone replies to one of their posts. It is that kind of dialog that makes these discussions worthwile.

Never said you weren't allowed to post to anything. Also didn't argue with you one way or the other about this subject. Only noticing that this place has gotten predictable. Sorry to have interrupted, please, continue on.

A slow day at work so here I am back in the forums. :)

I took a look at the caches in this "tribute" series. There are 11 caches planted in honor of the milestone. Some ask that the honoree be allowed FTF, some don't. Honoree was FTF on all the ones that do make the request. Someone else was FTF on three of the ones that don't. Nobody made any comment on this.

I've been thinking about some of the comments in this thread. I know some folks around here have given coordinates to someone ahead of time for one reason or another. But it seems that most of us LIKE seeing all the caches pop up and then following the honoree's FTF notes through the course of a day or two.

We don't feel anxious or insulted as some folks indicate they do (or would). I've cached in 26 or so states and I must say I feel lucky to have my home base in eastern Long Island. The folks here are pretty laid back, helpful, and friendly compared to some of the uptight people who have posted here. They also put out some great caches!

Personally speaking, I dont believe there is any way for them to forceably ensure that whoever it is, is acutally ftf. In other words, no they cant place a cache and say so and so is reserved ftf. Once its approved its out there for whoever wants it and whoever actually gets to it first and signs the log is ftf.

Personally speaking, I dont believe there is any way for them to forceably ensure that whoever it is, is acutally ftf. In other words, no they cant place a cache and say so and so is reserved ftf. Once its approved its out there for whoever wants it and whoever actually gets to it first and signs the log is ftf.

Since you apparently haven't really read much of this thread: Nobody wants to "forceably ensure" anything! A polite request was made to reserve the FTF. Yes, we CAN do that. You're right about the rest of it!

The folks here are pretty laid back, helpful, and friendly compared to some of the uptight people who have posted here.

Name calling will get you far... :)

"they need to get their heads examined". -- A&T

That's not name-calling...I know I am the first that needs his head examined. :)

Name Calling? Head examined? To settle that one... people have called me names, most are related to my passion for the game... crazy, insane and the such, most, if not all, are true. Head examined... please see the fist line about name calling...yes I need my head examined. I did have it x-rayed once but they found nothing.

Back on topic....

Caching with a polite request not to find.... I wish this board had a polling feature. Would love to see a nice tidy chart with peoples votes tallied.

Edited by stipman
Name Calling? Head examined? To settle that one... people have called me names, most are related to my passion for the game... crazy, insane and the such, most, if not all, are true. Head examined... please see the fist line about name calling...yes I need my head examined. I did have it x-rayed once but they found nothing.
Good nothing or bad nothing?
Back on topic....

Caching with a polite request not to find.... I wish this board had a polling feature. Would love to see a nice tidy chart with peoples votes tallied.

We used to have that. For a few reasons, I'm glad it's gone.

In a nutshell:

Thoughts?

I would just stop whining and go for the first to find. If log was deleted I would keep relogging it until my FTF log stuck or until the cache was archived. :)

I would just stop whining and go for the first to find. If log was deleted I would keep relogging it until my FTF log stuck or until the cache was archived. :)

Whining? Hardly. Inquiring minds want to know... I did go back through this thread and I compiled some stats about peoples opinions and this chart displays it plainly and succinctly.

The Chart

Edited by stipman

Whining? Hardly. Inquiring minds want to know... I did go back through this thread and I compiled some stats about peoples opinions and this chart displays it plainly and succinctly.

The Chart

What's a Caher?? j/k

Your chart could be applied to any thread.

The Chart

What's a Caher?? j/k

Your chart could be applied to any thread.

Whatever a Caher is...it looks like most of them enjoy whatever it is they do. :)

El Diablo

First and foremost, some folks have way too much time on their hands, that can be better spent caching... :rolleyes:

Secondly, I think a lot of people missed the point that this individual has put out well over 150 caches for others to find.

Its a matter of respect, if another cacher felt compelled to be FTF, despite a request made to let her find it, then it comes down to an issue of basically spitting in someones face.

It would be childish and if you know this person and the love she has for this hobby you would want her to have the FTF.

And lastly, the person who initiated the tributes asked NY-ADMIN to hold off publishing everything until she got back from vacation so she would immediately go out and get them--this cacher is a bit of a freak (I say this lovingly :D ) when it comes down to caching.

First and foremost, some folks have way too much time on their hands, that can be better spent caching... :rolleyes:

Agreed.

Secondly, I think a lot of people missed the point that this individual has put out well over 150 caches for others to find.

Its a matter of respect, if another cacher felt compelled to be FTF, despite a request made to let her find it, then it comes down to an issue of basically spitting in someones face.

It would be childish and if you know this person and the love she has for this hobby you would want her to have the FTF.

That's complete hogwash. Respect, like a lot of things, is a matter of perspective. Equating it to spitting in someone's face is gross sensationalism. It's like, I am offended that you're offended.. that kind of thing. Still looking for the rule that says you get to spend your entire life never being offended or inconvenienced.

And lastly, the person who initiated the tributes asked NY-ADMIN to hold off publishing everything until she got back from vacation so she would immediately go out and get them--this cacher is a bit of a freak (I say this lovingly :D ) when it comes down to caching.

If they didn't want the cache published, they should have clicked the little box that says hide from reviewer. MANY people cache blindly (which is another thread altogether). If you can't emotionally handle the risk of someone else possibly grabbing FTF, either don't plant the cache or be a little more involved in managing the publication of the cache.

I've thought about this for a while and I've come to this opinion:

If I'm a local guy and I see a request that the cache be reserved for another cacher's FTF then that's fine with me, I can wait a resonable amount of time. FTF isn't life and death.

If another local cacher grabs FTF on the cache before the specified cacher, then that's fine by me too.

If for some reason I should grab FTF on a cache that was (unknown to me) reserved for somebody else then I'm going to claim it. If the local cachers get ticked off, then that's unfortunate. But I'll be fine.

As long as everybody is able to realize that sometimes the best made plans fall apart and accidents happen, then there shouldn't be a problem. Live and let live; it's a hobby.

[

That's complete hogwash. Respect, like a lot of things, is a matter of perspective. Equating it to spitting in someone's face is gross sensationalism. It's like, I am offended that you're offended.. that kind of thing. Still looking for the rule that says you get to spend your entire life never being offended or inconvenienced.

If they didn't want the cache published, they should have clicked the little box that says hide from reviewer. MANY people cache blindly (which is another thread altogether). If you can't emotionally handle the risk of someone else possibly grabbing FTF, either don't plant the cache or be a little more involved in managing the publication of the cache.

I guess some people didn't play well with others in the sandbox

Well whine about it will ya! I don't Know all the circumstances behind a cache like this nor do I care. If you don't like the rules of a particular cache don't go go look for it. Or go hide your own make your own rules. I personally had someone name a travel bug after me and I was thrilled. Find something better to do with your time rather than whine about something you can't control!

Well whine about it will ya! I don't Know all the circumstances behind a cache like this nor do I care. If you don't like the rules of a particular cache don't go go look for it. Or go hide your own make your own rules. I personally had someone name a travel bug after me and I was thrilled. Find something better to do with your time rather than whine about something you can't control!

Don't worry about it. If you hang out in these fourms long enough you will find people that love to go against the grain. They really have nothing to offer besides angst. It's just a fact. You are tempted to debate, but it's like throwing gasoline on a fire you want to put out.

El Diablo

Around here there have a handful of "tribute" caches in honor of the 1000 finds milestone. The caches are ammo cans painted gold and typically have some special FTF swag added specifically for the honoree. In most cases the caches were published with a request that the honoree be allowed to find it first. I am happy that I live in a geocaching community where this is not an issue and the request is always honored.

However the last tribute cache that was posted was done a bit different. In this case, the honoree is a local cacher that is somewhat infamous for her clever and difficult puzzle caches. Her good friend and neighbor (who reached the 1000 milestone a couple of weeks ago) placed a series of caches called "The Bigger, The Better". The first was a nano, then a bison tube, then a decon container, a 30mm ammo can, and a very large ammo can for the last. The first two were published about a week before the finale and only after the honoree wrote a log which said "don't wait for me to go for FTF on these". When the first two were published an invitation was sent out to all the local cachers, onto a couple of local club lists, and in the cache listing to join the honoree in search of her 1000th cache last Saturday. The last two in the series were published Saturday morning, but the honoree got a copy of the listing the day before. That gave her some time to solve the puzzle (a special, more difficult version was created for her). I, along with about 10 others met the honoree at parking coordinates near the nano, then we all went on a 3 mile round trip hike in the woods to find the rest. Since the decon, the 30mm ammo can had not yet been found, the honoree proclaimed that they were fair game for FTF honors. I actually searched the spot where the decon container was but gave up too soon and searched another area. The honorees son found it first. I *did* get FTF on the 30mm ammo can, only because I found myself ahead of the rest of the group on the trail (which got pretty spread out as all were chatting away in between caches). After finding the container I waited for the rest of the group to cache up so others could find it on their own but I got first spot in the log.

The 30mm ammo can was worth going for all by itself. It was in one of the prettiest spots I have encountered for a cache. Since only the honoree had the coordinates of the finale (as a result of staying up until 2am solving the puzzle) we all followed her on the trail until the owner asked that everyone wait on the trail while the honoree searched for the cache. A few minutes later we heard "found it" followed by an extended belly laugh. The cache container was the biggest ammo can I've ever seen. It was full of swag, some very special prizes for the honoree (one particular item brought her to tears, as it was copy of a book that her recently passed mother owned). Swag flowed in and out of the cache, lots of coins were traded and discovered, and a really great time was had by all.

Here's a link to the "Vanelles Golden Ammo Can: The Bigger, The Better #5": GC1C8E2

Check out the photos to see this amazing cache as well as the others in the series. This series, to me, is what geocaching is all about, not some meaningless competition to get ones name first in a log book.

Around here there have a handful of "tribute" caches in honor of the 1000 finds milestone. The caches are ammo cans painted gold and typically have some special FTF swag added specifically for the honoree. In most cases the caches were published with a request that the honoree be allowed to find it first. I am happy that I live in a geocaching community where this is not an issue and the request is always honored.

Well, I am glad you live in such a perfect community where everyone does nicey-nice and sings "Kumbaya" while holding hands... <_<

My point is and will always be that if you publish a cache it's open for everyone to find. It does not make the other-than-intended finder rude or otherwise not nice. It just means they do not participate in or even do not know about your little mini-game. It's that simple.

It's been repeated more than once what someone can do to ensure that the honoree gets the FTF...why is this so hard to follow?

Don't worry about it. If you hang out in these fourms long enough you will find people that love to go against the grain. They really have nothing to offer besides angst. It's just a fact. You are tempted to debate, but it's like throwing gasoline on a fire you want to put out.

El Diablo

So opposing opinion is a bad thing? At least we understand your position now. <_<

Well, I am glad you live in such a perfect community where everyone does nicey-nice and sings "Kumbaya" while holding hands... <_<

My point is and will always be that if you publish a cache it's open for everyone to find. It does not make the other-than-intended finder rude or otherwise not nice. It just means they do not participate in or even do not know about your little mini-game. It's that simple.

It's been repeated more than once what someone can do to ensure that the honoree gets the FTF...why is this so hard to follow?

How do you explain the angsty threads about people who find a cache first because they were given the coords prior to listing?

The simple fact is, it's impossible to make everyone happy. I think that the friendly request in the example cache is the best solution.

How do you explain the angsty threads about people who find a cache first because they were given the coords prior to listing?

The simple fact is, it's impossible to make everyone happy. I think that the friendly request in the example cache is the best solution.

I disagree. Since it's impossible to make everyone happy, you might as well make sure that at least you and the honoree are happy.

If you make the cache public, you run the risk of someone foiling your intent, either purposely (ignoring the request) or accidentally (not reading the cache page). Nobody is happy, except the FTF, and even he may feel badly if it was an accident.

If you do it privately, you're guaranteed that no one will find it before the honoree (unless you don't hide it well enough and someone stunbles upon it, but that's true in any case). Certain happiness.

I disagree. Since it's impossible to make everyone happy, you might as well make sure that at least you and the honoree are happy.

Exactly.

The local cachers have been weighing into this thread. Apparently the way it was done in the example cache makes most of them happy.

Exactly.

The local cachers have been weighing into this thread. Apparently the way it was done in the example cache makes most of them happy.

And that's an excellent attitude to take. But if the goal is to make absolutely sure the honoree finds the cache first, and if someone else finding it first is going to tick you off, then private is the best solution.

Exactly.

And that's an excellent attitude to take. But if the goal is to make absolutely sure the honoree finds the cache first, and if someone else finding it first is going to tick you off, then private is the best solution.

If the goal was to make absolutely sure the honoree was the FTF, then they would have listed it as an ALR, rather than politely asking people to hold off.

Exactly.

If the goal was to make absolutely sure the honoree was the FTF, then they would have listed it as an ALR, rather than politely asking people to hold off.

That wouldn't prevent true jerks who simply want to spoil it nor people who overlook the ALR because they don't read cache pages. You can delete those logs, but the book is signed and the original loot tainted.