Icon Tarts

Difranco

I've released several coins into the wild, I've tried to come up with some unique goals for these coins and have gone to great lengths to print/laminate and include these goals with the coins. I don't mutilate/deface the coins either. But I am done releasing coins for awhile.

I want to share these beautiful coins and allow other cachers to add an icon to their profile. All of this is fine with me. However when cachers do the exact opposite of what the coin asks such taking them out of the country when it's goal is to visit all 50 U.S. States.

The one that has set me over the edge is that on all of my coins ask the cachers do not keep the coin and NOT to put them in Event Caches. One of my coins just got dumped into the Geowoodstock event cache....

Much of this I think is due to what I like to call Tarting for icons. You know you see those cachers who have a 'route' and visit the same TB Hotels over and over taking and trading coins all the time just to collect icons for their profile. It doesn't matter what the owner's goals are, they just keep taking and moving them regardless of the goal.

So to the Icon Tarts, no more coins for you!

Edited by Difranco

Most every serious icon ho that I know (and it ain't just one or two! :D ) are satisfied with getting lists of discoverable coins at events, which is much faster than trekking out into the wilds of non-event-land and finding actual caches to get those icons! :laughing:

For those few souls that actually get their icons the hard way, more power to 'em, at least they are out finding caches and moving coins! :D

I'd rather my coins move anywhere, regardless of their primary mission, rather than being stuck in a cache for months on end. Which is why the mission statement I include with my traveling coins has some primary mission particular to each coin, and the secondary mission is always to just move anywhere, and take a picture if you can. B)

I know of a group of these "icon tarts" . they log them in and out of caches so they can retrieve them instead of discover. I call them "purist" or could even be called "prudence" I, myself, definitely do Not mind discovering. In fact, for me it is easier as at this moment, I don't possess a GPS unit ( I lost it) and when I did, I discovered because I don't get out that much - I find that it is a bummer to go caching by oneself as I am a creature of the social type.

And That, my dear, is how I operate.

While I understand your decision, there are worse things that could happen to your coin... (getting stolen, sitting for months in an infrequently found cache come to mind). And if it had to go to an event, then GWVI was the one to be at! We helped a bit at the trackable station and Max B on the River ran a tight ship. All the coins/tbs were bagged and labeled at check in; then they then were sorted based on the their geographical goals. With any luck someone from the northeast picked up your coin at it will soon be closer to its goal!

jrr

Most every serious icon ho that I know (and it ain't just one or two! :D ) are satisfied with getting lists of discoverable coins at events, which is much faster than trekking out into the wilds of non-event-land and finding actual caches to get those icons! :laughing:

You've got two missions for your coins, which is great and keeps your coin moving the way you want. I don't mind if I have coins sit for months in an off beaten cache that gets 1 visitor a year. I've got several coins with that particular goal in mind!!!!

However, what I've noticed is that I've had several coins get sucked into the Icon Tart Jet stream where coins get picked up and moved by the same 3 Tarts to "private trading posts (see... GC14RDY)". This is where they get stuck for a month or two doing nothing and in accessible to other cachers....

You've got two missions for your coins, which is great and keeps your coin moving the way you want. I don't mind if I have coins sit for months in an off beaten cache that gets 1 visitor a year. I've got several coins with that particular goal in mind!!!!

However, what I've noticed is that I've had several coins get sucked into the Icon Tart Jet stream where coins get picked up and moved by the same 3 Tarts to "private trading posts (see... GC14RDY)". This is where they get stuck for a month or two doing nothing and in accessible to other cachers....

I know of whom you speak.- at least 2 of them- (not sure who the 3rd is :D) I Do know that They really are very nice people just stuck on numbers B)

Okay, so while that isn't exactly naming names and pointing fingers, I'm pretty sure I know the TB/coin clique in the greater Seattle area of which you speak, as a number of my coins have traveled through their TB "motels".

While I can neither condone nor disparage their styles of gathering/moving TBs/coins, they do seem to take the extreme of sucking up any and all that are in their path, versus picking up a few here and there to help along their way.

Edited by dflye

I am in the process of designing 4 coins to release over the yr, and was debating about whether to cough up an extra 150 bucks for the icon. After reading this I will probably hold on to my 150 and not give the icon ho's an icon that is nothing but pixels.

When I buy a Geocoin and only get the generic icon I get very dissapointed. Not have a real Icon can really effect the sale of your coins.

Well, I'm a ho. I admit it. And I also request that my travelling coins do not get dropped in Events but not for the reason you implied. Some folks drop coins and tbs in the event bucket then leave them for the organizers to deal with (which is not what they signed up for) if nobody else does so they may end up getting lost or abandoned. BAD. :laughing:

However some folks who do care about geocoins, their icons and their travels too will drop coins in an event so the mileage is logged and then show the coins around to other interested parties to discover. They may even pass the coin on to another responsible cacher/coiner to move along. Or they may grab it/them from the event and drop in a cache for others to move along. No harm no foul. The coin is grabbed from the event and moves on its way. GOOD. :D

So same event different turn out so maybe it's not about the event. When people drop my coins in events I request they treat my coins like their dates - don't leave without 'em or be sure they've got a darned good reliable ride. :D

When I buy a Geocoin and only get the generic icon I get very dissapointed. Not have a real Icon can really effect the sale of your coins.

Affects sales, true. Affects trades with long-time collectors, perhaps not so much, methinks, as they are more about the true art and meaning of a coin, and less about the GS (not GC, please note) propagandized belief that all coins must have a unique and purty icon. Perhaps the fact that each trackable coin sale generates a less than nominal fee drives their motive? And that the unique icon increases that cost per coin, hmmm, what says that?

Okay, and to get this thread back on track, if someone is frequently gathering coins and completely ignoring the missions of said coins (whether stated on a mission statement with the coin, or merely on the coins TB listing page), that to me is a bad thing.

While I can neither condone nor disparage their styles of gathering/moving TBs/coins, they do seem to take the extreme of sucking up any and all that are in their path, versus picking up a few here and there to help along their way.

I've been sitting on this feeling for sometime and have been pretty quiet about it, I just reached my tipping point and needed to vent. Other local cachers have expressed some unhappiness with the situation.

I usually, plan my caching day and if I know I am visiting a cache with a TB/coin I try to know what the 'mission' is before I take it. I only take it if I can help it, otherwise I record the tracking # for discovery as reassurance for the owner that their tb is still there. I hope the next cacher can help it when I could not.

This is how these forums taught me to handle and treat tbs & coins; so I do my darndest to play by what cachers generally expect.

Edited by Difranco

I've been sitting on this feeling for sometime and have been pretty quiet about it, I just reached my tipping point and needed to vent. Other local cachers have expressed some unhappiness with the situation.

I usually, plan my caching day and if I know I am visiting a cache with a TB/coin I try to know what the 'mission' is before I take it. I only take it if I can help it, otherwise I record the tracking # for discovery as reassurance for the owner that their tb is still there. I hope the next cacher can help it when I could not.

This is how these forums taught me to handle and treat tbs & coins; so I do my darndest to play by what cachers generally expect.

While I applaud your efforts to play "cleanly" there really aren't any steadfast rules about adhering to the Mission goals when moving a traveler. Move from cache to cache and don't keep longer than 14 days. The rest is guidelines. If you place valuables in the woods and expect them to go a certain way and only that way you're bound to be disappointed or frustrated. I know I have been so I empathize with you.

That Is the ideal thing to do BUT there have been times that we've gone to a cache that was supposed to have a TB in it and lo & behold- it be empty.

I would rather discovery, also.

I am in the process of designing 4 coins to release over the yr, and was debating about whether to cough up an extra 150 bucks for the icon. After reading this I will probably hold on to my 150 and not give the icon ho's an icon that is nothing but pixels.

You may find that the custom icon may move better than the generic icon but I'm wildly generalizing.

Uh oh...my tranquility coin was recently in the above mentioned cache. They did contact me to ask if it was ok to take the coin to GW6. I thought as long as I couldn't go, why not?

So what happens to all the coins that get brought to big events like this? Are they swapped for other coins and then placed by cachers or should I just consider my coin gone now? :laughing:

Uh oh...my tranquility coin was recently in the above mentioned cache. They did contact me to ask if it was ok to take the coin to GW6. I thought as long as I couldn't go, why not?

So what happens to all the coins that get brought to big events like this? Are they swapped for other coins and then placed by cachers or should I just consider my coin gone now? :D

Each cacher that took a TB to the event ideally looked up the goal and put these "codes" onto a piece of paper: such as AW, task, etc. then they were put into Big tubs with destinations. You were given as many tickets as TBs you brought. you then picked out that many TBs to take with you to further their journeys. Sort of a clearing house so to speak :laughing: rather cool experience.

So what happens to all the coins that get brought to big events like this? Are they swapped for other coins and then placed by cachers or should I just consider my coin gone now? :laughing:

I wouldn't sweat it for about a 1.5 weeks. Usually people travel home, unpack, settle back into routine, then start logging caches and coins. If someone doesn't log your coin within 2 weeks, then I'd start to worry. Some events are better organized than others and track who gets what. At which point I'd try contacting the coin holder and the event organizer to see who may have your coin or who knows.

Passing out your tracking numbers like this without showing people coins in person is abuse of the system, virtual logging, and can get your trackables locked. Passing out the tracking numbers of trackables you do not own is totally wrong, and shouldn't be happening.

I know of a group of these "icon tarts" . they log them in and out of caches so they can retrieve them instead of discover. I call them "purist" or could even be called "prudence" I, myself, definitely do Not mind discovering. In fact, for me it is easier as at this moment, I don't possess a GPS unit ( I lost it) and when I did, I discovered because I don't get out that much - I find that it is a bummer to go caching by oneself as I am a creature of the social type.

And That, my dear, is how I operate.

Oh my....sorry to hear about the loss of your GPS unit!! Can I help?? Email sent kiddo!

Passing out your tracking numbers like this without showing people coins in person is abuse of the system, virtual logging, and can get your trackables locked. Passing out the tracking numbers of trackables you do not own is totally wrong, and shouldn't be happening.

Most every cacher I know who shares their coins via lists at events also bring their coins so the person taking the list can see them! Therefore, not virtual logging...in many cases!! Now, passing out numbers to coins not owned or not on hand??? Not a good practice!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Okay, and to get this thread back on track, if someone is frequently gathering coins and completely ignoring the missions of said coins (whether stated on a mission statement with the coin, or merely on the coins TB listing page), that to me is a bad thing.

Well thats only part of the it too. Coins and TBs getting sucked into the Icon Tart jet stream where they are holding 6-60 of theses at a time. This pretty much dries up many of the caches in the area leaving nothing for other cachers to disccover and move according to the TB/Coin goals because they are being held captive in private trading post and being passed among a select group reducing the surface area of exposure to other cachers. Collectively, 5 cachers in the area are holding somewhere around 100+ trackables at any given time if you read their logs.

If someone logs one of your trackables and the owner removes the logs, does it remove the icon from the cachers profile? Much like a "found' log on a cache?

Sometimes a 'nice' note can go a long way.

Have you tried e-mailing these folks you are talking about and asking them something like.

"Could you please leave my geocoins for some others to find? You have discovered quite a few and I would like to hopefully have some people that haven't seen geocoins be able to log some of mine."

Thank you

You never know, they may think that they are helping you out.

Edited by Eric K

Well thats only part of the it too. Coins and TBs getting sucked into the Icon Tart jet stream where they are holding 6-60 of theses at a time. This pretty much dries up many of the caches in the area leaving nothing for other cachers to disccover and move according to the TB/Coin goals because they are being held captive in private trading post and being passed among a select group reducing the surface area of exposure to other cachers. Collectively, 5 cachers in the area are holding somewhere around 100+ trackables at any given time if you read their logs.

If someone logs one of your trackables and the owner removes the logs, does it remove the icon from the cachers profile? Much like a "found' log on a cache?

I also find this to be a false statement...at least for the icon hos I know! I used to be one of those who'd travel from hotel to hotel collecting every TB they had....BUT, when doing this, we ALSO replaced every TB (traded 1-1 or very closely). In other words, the TBs were still there in numbers, just different TBs which gave the other cachers more to find! It didn't always work out like that, but we tried. We ALSO tried very hard to keep with the missions, the coins/TBs which actually HAD mission cards included anyway. And yes, we researched before heading out (I traveled with a VERY organized TB nut) and knew most missions etc before we left home. Sometimes, a new TB/coin was there when we got there...it happens! On those rare occasions, we'd either discover the trackable and leave it OR not log at all!

Oh, and it wasn't uncommon for us to have upwards of 50-100 TBs/coins on a run!! In my opinion, this is GOOD for those cachers who are near a hotel we visited. Not only did all the TBs get moved assuring travel, but NEW TBs came into the area giving those same cachers more to choose from and pick up!

My opinion on this...if you can't handle your trackable moving in different directions than you designated, don't put any out! Just as with the "if you can't handle having a coin taken" argument, you have absolutely no control over your trackable once you set it free! One of my coins is now in Florida...and it wasn't ever meant to leave Michigan?? Very first cacher who moved it took it to Florida and it's been there since! Did it irk me...a bit! BUT, I've met many very kind cachers who offered to mail it back to me at their expense...to those I say "THANKS" but tell them to just let it travel as traveling is better than not!

I've released several coins into the wild, I've tried to come up with some unique goals for these coins and have gone to great lengths to print/laminate and include these goals with the coins. I don't mutilate/deface the coins either. But I am done releasing coins for awhile.

I want to share these beautiful coins and allow other cachers to add an icon to their profile. All of this is fine with me. However when cachers do the exact opposite of what the coin asks such taking them out of the country when it's goal is to visit all 50 U.S. States.

The one that has set me over the edge is that on all of my coins ask the cachers do not keep the coin and NOT to put them in Event Caches. One of my coins just got dumped into the Geowoodstock event cache....

Much of this I think is due to what I like to call Tarting for icons. You know you see those cachers who have a 'route' and visit the same TB Hotels over and over taking and trading coins all the time just to collect icons for their profile. It doesn't matter what the owner's goals are, they just keep taking and moving them regardless of the goal.

So to the Icon Tarts, no more coins for you!

I know the group of cachers you are talking about,so my post is probably a bit biased.

Like it has been stated, each tb that was put into GW6 had to be put into its own bag with the mission statement printed out and included in the bag. Then a smaller label was attached to reference the geographical area that tb wanted to reach. Then the tb's were put in bins marked with that location. When someone turned in a tb, they got a ticket to retrieve a tb. It was very well organized. Unlike most events where there's just a table or basket that everyone dumps the tbs into.

As somone who has a lot of trackables out in this area, our coins end up in the "stream". We've never had a coin go missing while it was making its way though the group. They're all very enthusiastic about tb's. If they have one they know needs to go to Hawaii, and they know someone who's going there, they'll contact them and ask them to take it. The do like to help a tb along with its goal if possible.

Whenever possible, we try to release our coins to someone in the group, as we know it'll be safe for awhile. They're all a very nice, fun group of people who just enjoy tbs.