Holiday Weekend Cointest

Dorsetgal & GeoDog

4b478746-9173-41f2-9989-3e129df00b38.jpg

A slightly different age of "animal"....this is one of literally thousands of fossils we spotted at Three Lakes Valley, up beyond Chester Lake in beautiful Kananaskis Country in the Canadian Rockies. We've hidden two traditional geocaches near Chester Lake (GCXW99 - Fav Hike #3 Beyond Chester and GCXW9E - Elephant Rocks) and we have plans to prepare an earthcache for this area. It's about a 15 or 16 km (return) hike if you go all the way up to 3 Lakes Valley and the variety of sea fossils is really quite amazing!! We love this hike and usually make it once every year. It can also be accessed via snowshoe in the winter, and our caches have been found in the winter with over a meter of snow on the ground!

There are some wonderful pictures here!! I am especially in awe of the coral snake. I'm glad I wasn't that close to it!!

This is a picture of me and my geodog GoodGollyMissMolly at the Hilltop cache. She really enjoys the walks to the caches and has nosed some out although that may be just a fluke!

65a39085-c5be-484a-8f1f-39fb65acb272.jpg

Nothing of real interest on today's hike so a few more from the archives. I had taken a DNF on this cache near Black Canyon City, AZ so I really wanted to find it when I returned to try again. I was looking anywhere and everywhere, and when I turned over an old cowpie, I found this little guy. It was early in the morning and still quite cool, so he wasn't into moving around much. I put the cowpie back on top of him and continued to search until I found the cache.

6854bedf-26c4-482b-b58d-673068d81a0e.jpg

Here is a regular little lizard which I saw guarding the summit of Seven Mile Mountain west of Maricopa, AZ when I went last week for an FTF on the cache 7MM. I don't know if this is common in other areas, but a lot of the peaks around here have summit registry log books which predate geocaching. The hider of the cache had encountered a rattlesnake when he reached for the peak log, so I was fortunate to only meet up with this little fellow.

6c1f4616-0a29-4744-ad79-ff7c7dfc4265.jpg

Okay, here's my last one. Back over to the Lower Salt River Valley, which is home to another of Arizona's oldest geocaches. When I parked in the lot for the trail system leading to the cache, I encountered this wild rooster strutting around like he was king of the mountain.

Thanks so much for the cointest, Dorsetgal, I've really enjoyed going back through my gallery to pull out these pictures. I hope you all have enjoyed seeing them. Glad to hear that Caesar is on the mend.

6754a711-4574-4951-b0ea-6ce8f0f14c9f.jpg

Our last 3 pictures come for our adventures yesterday. We did maintenance on 2 of our caches, found 3 caches and placed 4. It was a long day, we came home grungy and tired but with smiles on our faces! It was a great day to be out.

This first picture is of a millipede we found on the trail, a creepy little guy with lots of legs!

c3819e9e-75ad-4256-821b-9e1aac179250.jpg

Oooooh all those creepy crawlies are enough to make your toes curl!

Just to say, there are fifty minutes left, so come the top of the hour I'll close the cointest.

Pupdate: Caesar appears to be feeling a lot better today, more like his bouncy self and the difficulty is in keeping him sedentary for at least the time being while his knee heels a bit more. He's still limping like Long John Silver though!

We are glad to hear that Caesar is feeling better! A couple more days of pampering and I'm sure he will be his old self again.

This was our last picture yesterday. After the fright the snake "tried to give us/ gave us" we arrived back at the jeep and headed out for home. Something ran across the road in front of us, feeling brave since we were in the jeep we stopped to look. It was a Woodcock, a very friendly one at that, he stayed on the side of the road letting us take pictures.

f12ac203-425f-4c15-bbaf-5baea4000c44.jpg

Well, this has been realy hard to judge. There are so many fantastic pictures here. Many thanks to everyone who entered, it has been fun watching all the entries.

Now without further ado, the winner by Randon Number Generator was

post number 114, which was posted by Mustang Joni

the winner that I picked, purely because of its smile factor was

post number 88 Lorca.nl

I really wish I could send something to everyone, but I'd end up broke! Many of those pictures deserve to be on the front banner at Groundspeak too.

If the two winners would care to send me their addresses I'll get the coins into the post tomorrow.

Edit to add. The coins are a Give up Geocaching? / When Pigs Fly coin, and a Castleman Jack Russel Terrier coin, first to contact me picks!

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog