coin taken by mount everst climber

Geo.Error

My Geo.Error huskies coin is taken by a mysterie coin taker

He has taken my coin and did not retrieved the coin, so i do not know who he is.

He left a note in the cache.

6c60a677-7c52-420c-ab8a-697557614e89.jpg

This note was left before my coin was placed

Two very nice cachers out sweden has helped me to seek for information about my coin.

One cacher has help transulate the logs.

And one cacher is going to look for me in the cache and found this note

image001.jpg

My question is is this happen before???

Do you know this mysterie climber??

Is this happen to you also??

Take he only coins out Sweden??

My questions to the mysterie coin taker are, why do you take a coin a year before you go clime???

WHy do you not reveal your self

Why do you not retrieve the coin out the cache

Why do you not ask promision, maybe some coiners like your idea

He has taken my coin and did not retrieved the coin, so i do not know who he is.

Two very nice cachers out sweden has helped me to seek for information about my coin.

image001.jpg

My questions to the mysterie coin taker are, why do you take a coin a year before you go clime???

Looks to me to be just a commercial plug for Adventure Consultants and as such goes against Groundspeak guidelines. Unfortunately by posting it here you have succeeded in aiding this, but I can understand your curiosity. I would be very curious also. Depending on the views of the moderators, some or all of the content of your post might be edited out.

It is not my attention to be a commercial plug for that website.

If the moderators think that please remove the website but let my questions please stand.

I am not only curious but also angry, i don't like when people take my coin away for a year

I know it is a risk to send coins into the world these thing could happen but i hope via the forum get reactions from other victims and maybe the climber wil react to this forum note

I am only seeking for answers, i wont want to hurt anybody

in my opinion, a nice idea of the mystery climber,

but taking the coin for about one year in advance...tztz

absolutely a no-go without contacting the owner.

maybe it's a new version of coin stealing, no one

remembers the coin after a year is the motto...

i would be angry, too!

It's a fraud. The person in question has taken over 30 coins from the Stockholm area and hasn't logged any of them at all, and when we in Sweden checked with the adventure company we found that there is no expedition planned.

Sadly, it isn't looking good for these coins at all :).

There is more and a complete list of coins missing in the baltic forums here.

Naomi ;)

I did not mean to suggest that you had done anything wrong. And like you I would want the answers to the questions you posed. I would also want to know why the note did not contain any contact information - you are not able to contact this person directly and they have taken your coin with the intention, it would seem, not to place it for at least a year. One question I do have for you though - is did your coin have a stated mission? Whether it did or not I feel for you and hope that some answers are forthcoming.

It's a fraud. The person in question has taken over 30 coins from the Stockholm area and hasn't logged any of them at all, and when we in Sweden checked with the adventure company we found that there is no expedition planned.

Sadly, it isn't looking good for these coins at all ;).

Naomi :)

Boy, if that is true, then it is a real bummer. Sorry for all the lost coins. Wonder why they even leave the calling card. :)

Naomi ;)

That is so sad, it seems there are people now making a sport out of collecting other peoples coins, I shall continue to release coins, but from now on they will all be copy coins. I know that will disappoint many but I will include that information on the coins page, and folk will still collect the icon.

Sadly, it isn't looking good for these coins at all ;).

Naomi :)

Boy, if that is true, then it is a real bummer. Sorry for all the lost coins. Wonder why they even leave the calling card. :)

Perhaps it satisfies their sick sense of humour. Sadly because this 'sport' has gained increasing publicity through various forms of media, whilst it allows interest and membership to grow it also promotes it to others in society whose interest lies not within geocaching itself, but allows them the opportunity to 'play another game'. This is why I mostly send coins to people, ok I agree it is not so much fun as finding one in a cache, but if I want someone locally to 'find' a coin - I will send a message through their profile with details of the co-ordinates of a hidden coin. They can activate it, set it free, or whatever they want to do with it. At least I know only they are going to get their hands on and not some geothief.

Perhaps it satisfies their sick sense of humour. Sadly because this 'sport' has gained increasing publicity through various forms of media, whilst it allows interest and membership to grow it also promotes it to others in society whose interest lies not within geocaching itself, but allows them the opportunity to 'play another game'. This is why I mostly send coins to people, ok I agree it is not so much fun as finding one in a cache, but if I want someone locally to 'find' a coin - I will send a message through their profile with details of the co-ordinates of a hidden coin. They can activate it, set it free, or whatever they want to do with it. At least I know only they are going to get their hands on and not some geothief.

I think that is a neat idea, and a safer one too. Thanks for that :)

They said they'd contact you with an email, when they do, tell them no, thank you. Unless you want your coin going to Everest. Just because we don't know someone doesn't make something a "Mystery." And since they'll contact you, it won't be a mystery anymore.

These people should not be taking coins without asking the owner's permission first. Especially not to go the Hillary Step on Mount Everest where you can probably kiss your trackable goodbye. It's going to sit there for a long, long time. Perhaps you should ask (without showing their website in your post) in your regional forums if anyone knows who this person is, or simply go to their website, find the "contact us" link and tell them you don't want your trackable geocoin, or travel bug taken up the mountain. Ask them to please either mail it back to you, or place it in a cache. Send the link on how to log trackables, and tell them they should ask all the owners before leaving these bugs in outer Mongolia, or Tibet. Free Tibet! Free the Coins!

Change the name of your coin to "Help, I'm being held Prisoner!" or "Please release me, let me go" or "No, please, I don't wanna go up the mountain!"

i understand all of you that we don`t must take conclusions and all that.

maybe the men or woman means it well but i think it`s not the right way what he/she is doing.

i think it`s very excited that one of your coin is going to the mount everst if you want that, but the coin has just the mission to travel around the world from cache to cache so that he can run free.

you can read about the coin on the profile of the owner.

if you want to take a coin to somewhere like that it`s better that he/she contacts first and ask the owner or that will be alright i mean 1 year is a long time.

if he/she just want to hold the coin for him/her self it`s a mean way to got it, because the coin means something for the owner.(error is half husky)

when people do steal coins because the like them then you are not a honest cacher.

i`m sorry but i can`t accept that because everybody buy`s or trade there coins on a honest right way and stealing is not right.

i just can hope that the men/woman means it well and that GEO.ERROR gets her answer on her question`s.

i just want to say talk with the owner if you don`t know for sure what to do whit the coin.

and for GEO.ERROR i will get the coin myself if he is going to the mount everst, some how he will come back to you.....

It's simple theft. If they were doing you a favor like they claim it would have been logged. If I want my coin to go up Everest it would be part of its mission statement. It doesn't matter if they took it with good intentions. It doesn't even matter if they do eventually give it back. They're taking property in an unlawful manner (and please let's not derail this thread into another debate on who and how anyone owns a coin) or at least in immoral manner. :)

Naomi ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your input Naomi :) It's pretty cool to have people from all over the world in the forum. From what you wrote in YOUR post, it sounds as if nebukatneza may be onto something. Why would someone take a coin a year in advance? If I were going to Everest and thought about taking a geocoin with me (and wanted to move someone elses coin instead of starting one of my own), why tie up their coin for a whole year? If this person's health or finances changes over the next 12-months, the trip might have to be cancelled. Why not wait for a couple of weeks before leaving on such a trip before moving someone's coin. It might be that after a year of "coin purgatory", the coin would have been forgotten by the original owner. Even still, if the person just stole the coin, why leave the note at all? It sounds like the company in question didn't know anything about it, so it probably wouldn't help them with advertizing.

If 30 coins have turned up missing without being logged, in that same area, and with the same kind of note, it sounds like your coin is gone. If this is the case, it's a shame. Because the person(s) in question would have known to look up the coordinates from the mother site, then maybe they would stop by this forum to see if there was any mention of this "coin move" on the forum and clue everyone in on what the story is. If it's true that the coin is going to Everest though, then I think that would be awesome.

Well, how about giving this thread another idea :)

Who would like to go caching on Mount Everest, there are some caches around there, I think that would be fun :I :)

I'd love to go. It's been a life-long dream of mine and some years ago, I probably could have done it. I didn't take the opportunity when I had the money and was in shape: now I have neither ;) I learned a very valuable lesson because of that; to live life like you only get the one chance to do everything you want, because you never know - it might in fact be.

From what you wrote in YOUR post, it sounds as if nebukatneza may be onto something.

my english is not the best, does this sentence mean that you suspect me now?

if not sorry for the misunderstanding...

No, you are not suspected, it means, that you are probably right with your conclusions

Ich weis garnicht wieso ich auf Englisch antworte :)

Also du wirst nicht verdächtigt, sondern er meint nur, dass du warscheinlich recht hast mit deinen Vermutungen

Gruß

Tschakko

Edited by Tschakko
From what you wrote in YOUR post, it sounds as if nebukatneza may be onto something.

I believe that nashuan's comment simply means that you have made a valid point.

Well, how about giving this thread another idea ;)

Who would like to go caching on Mount Everest, there are some caches around there, I think that would be fun :I :)

If you're going to the Hillary Step to look for a cache be prepared to look under frozen dead bodies!! :):)

Advertising for Adventure Consultants? How many geocachers out there do you know have $70,000 to spend on a summer vacation in a place that claims 12 lives every year? The cache at Mt Whitney only sees a couple of visitors a year and that hike can be done in a day and the permit is free.

Well, how about giving this thread another idea ;)

Who would like to go caching on Mount Everest, there are some caches around there, I think that would be fun :I :D

If you're going to the Hillary Step to look for a cache be prepared to look under frozen dead bodies!! :):)

Well, I thought about some of the easier ones nearby :)

Naomi ;)

I went on the adventure consultants website and there IS an expedition scheduled to everest on March 30-June 2. Here's the link Everest

You never know... maybe your coin is in for a trip. This seems like an odd way to steal coins.. don't ya think? :)

I don't know much (anything) about hiking up Mt. Everest but isn't it pretty perilous? Don't mountain climbers have to pack lightly for such an undertaking? Why would someone lug 30+ coins up with them?

This whole thing sounds like a giant scam to me. I hope this person can be found and stopped. :)

image001.jpg

Looks to me to be just a commercial plug for Adventure Consultants and as such goes against Groundspeak guidelines. Unfortunately by posting it here you have succeeded in aiding this, but I can understand your curiosity. I would be very curious also. Depending on the views of the moderators, some or all of the content of your post might be edited out.

I'm confused, under your picture it says this note was placed before your coin was. So do you still have the coin? It also says ALL the trackables will be taken to the Hillary cache Is this a joke? . Sounds like this person has lost his marbles. I 'm not sure how this virtual coin thing works. I see why people are putting out copies. USA 45

The first note was left in the cache from 21-23 april.

My Geo.error coin was placed on 25 april, there was no note left in the cache so they placed the coin.

Yesterday a nice sweden cacher has looked in the cache to seek my coin but he found only the second note in de cache.

You can see that the notes are a little bit different.

The mysterie coiner was come back for my coin. :)

I think that the mysteriecoiner watch the caches in sweden,, can you see who watch a cache or coin?????

Eartha thanks for your advice , tomorrow i chance the title of my geo.errror husky coin. ;)

Thanks Mousakakat i know now that i am not the only one, so i know now where i stand. :)

Edited by Geo.Error
You can see that the notes are a little bit different.

Didn't catch that on the first reading, the misspelling of Hillary (it says Hillaray on the one note) and the mention of a commemorative geocoin versus a diploma on the other note. :D:D

Is the commemorative coin going to be another version of the GeoScrew? :D

This is not just one person, because the note was left after thefts of more than 40 geocoins and TBs in Stockholm, Sweden, the same days as in the Netherlands. It is typical that they go for Sweden and the Netherlands, because they are the countries with the most caches.

No, I think they meant this "

"maybe it's a new version of coin stealing, no one

remembers the coin after a year is the motto..."

I don't know about this "coiner" that leaves a calling card - so to speak. My feelings is that IF this said person was legit, they would have signed their name AND logged the coin.

IF it isn't true, it appears to be some sort of sick joke :D:D

Sorry to hear about your coin Geo.Error. At first, I thought it might be cool to have a coin go to Mt. Everest, but after hearing the comments from Naomi, I don't think this looks good. Like some of the others have said here, I do not send out any coins in the wild (in the US) because they just get stolen eventually. . .and most of the time it is sooner than later in my area. I do have a few coins circulating in Europe and they are still hanging around! :D I put coins into caches for someone to find-pure and simple; a gift. Many cachers enjoy finding them and they have emailed me to thank me for them. (I know I would, if I ever found any. :D ) At least I don't have to worry if they will be taken.

This is not just one person, because the note was left after thefts of more than 40 geocoins and TBs in Stockholm, Sweden, the same days as in the Netherlands. It is typical that they go for Sweden and the Netherlands, because they are the countries with the most caches.

:D Sorry that i was not clear. My coin is stolen in sweden. :D

i found this message on www.geocaching.se

look here

Skrivet: Lör Maj 17, 2008 0:17 Rubrik: Warning – Geocoins Stolen In Stockholm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the last weeks more than 40 geocoins (and at least 10 travel bugs) have been "kidnapped" in the Stockholm area by an unknown person. The circumstances are still unclear. A police investigation is ahead. The Stockholm geocachers advise all geocachers visiting the Stockholm area (radius 50 kilometres) not to put any geocoins or travel bugs in any cache. More information will follow in this forum.

i found this message on www.geocaching.se

look here

Skrivet: Lör Maj 17, 2008 0:17 Rubrik: Warning – Geocoins Stolen In Stockholm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the last weeks more than 40 geocoins (and at least 10 travel bugs) have been "kidnapped" in the Stockholm area by an unknown person. The circumstances are still unclear. A police investigation is ahead. The Stockholm geocachers advise all geocachers visiting the Stockholm area (radius 50 kilometres) not to put any geocoins or travel bugs in any cache. More information will follow in this forum.

It´s sad to see, how far caching has come :D

Cointhieves and cache mugglers are only : i guess 10 % from the whole geo caching world.

I Geo.Error are very headiness, when somebody says don't do that , i will do that.

I have lost this month 3 coins, it will not stop me to send coins into the world.

It push me only more to send more coins into the world.

I have send this week 2 coins in to the world and there are waiting ready to go 2 coins already.

Sending geocoins into the world make a lot off cachers happy, they find beautiful designs in caches and when they log them they get a icon.

I Geo.Error see that because i read there logs and see the photo's they make.

Sending geocoins into the world gives me a smile and a lot of cachers also.

:D So please let not the cointhieves win and be just so headiness as i, keep sending coins into the world, bring happiness to cachers and yourself. ;)

:anicute: A mesage to the cointhieves, i hope my geocoin will burn a hole in your hand. :anicute:

Cointhieves and cache mugglers are only : i guess 10 % from the whole geo caching world.

I Geo.Error are very headiness, when somebody says don't do that , i will do that.

I have lost this month 3 coins, it will not stop me to send coins into the world.

It push me only more to send more coins into the world.

I have send this week 2 coins in to the world and there are waiting ready to go 2 coins already.

Sending geocoins into the world make a lot off cachers happy, they find beautiful designs in caches and when they log them they get a icon.

I Geo.Error see that because i read there logs and see the photo's they make.

Sending geocoins into the world gives me a smile and a lot of cachers also.

:anicute: So please let not the cointhieves win and be just so headiness as i, keep sending coins into the world, bring happiness to cachers and yourself. ;)

:anicute: A mesage to the cointhieves, i hope my geocoin will burn a hole in your hand. :D

Well said :D

I was thinking about this in the shower this morning (always do my best thinking there :laughing: ). How about trying to get a bunch of coiners in Sweden together (post on geocaching.se?) to set out proxy coins in caches. Attach a note to the proxy addressed to this person, explaining that he/she has upset a great many people by his/her actions and leave an email to contact so he/she can be in contact and those who want their coins to go can and those who don't can get them returned.

I still have my suspicions that this person is truly just a thief with no plan to take these coins to Everest. But then if that's true, why leave a note at all? So on the outside chance that this person genuinely doesn't know the upset they've caused, this would be a way to let them know and rectify the situation.

The proxy is the bait. Maybe something good can come of it if they take it. :laughing:

Edited by ThePetersTrio

I was thinking about this in the shower this morning (always do my best thinking there <_< ). How about trying to get a bunch of coiners in Sweden together (post on geocaching.se?) to set out proxy coins in caches. Attach a note to the proxy addressed to this person, explaining that he/she has upset a great many people by his/her actions and leave an email to contact so he/she can be in contact and those who want their coins to go can and those who don't can get them returned.

I still have my suspicions that this person is truly just a thief with no plan to take these coins to Everest. But then if that's true, why leave a note at all? So on the outside chance that this person genuinely doesn't know the upset they've caused, this would be a way to let them know and rectify the situation.

The proxy is the bait. Maybe something good can come of it if they take it. :D

:laughing: Sorry, i have tried to post this on gastforum from geocaching.se but i have post it but i don't know where it is gone now, sorry :blink:

:laughing: but i like your idea :D

Just read about this strange thing :laughing:

Sad to hear that your coin is missing, Geo.Error! I really hope that the whole story will come to a good end! If all those coins really would go to Mount Everest, and the coin owners would get a diary, a flag and a coin, that would be a cool thing, but more than 40 coins, and getting more? I am a person that believes in the good things, but that sounds not good... :laughing: