An Open Letter

I have been watching the events of the last few days with a mixture of sadness and inevitability. The UK Moderation is too large a job for the small no of moderators involved – even more so now!

I believe that the Job of Moderation should be subject to task analysis and then a way forward developed. I see the introvert type task of cache approval very different to the gregariousness needed to control the UK Forum – by far the largest single interest forum (over 2x the size of the geocoin one in which I post normally.)

For my part I would split it into 3 bits as follows – mutually reliant but with specific responsibility

1) Forum Moderators – 3 individuals

2) Permission Negotiations, Public Relations etc: - Maybe we could utilise the excellent work carried out by the GAGB committee in this and ask them to be involved

3) Cache Approvers: - with 300 caches a week being added maybe we should regionalise this responsibility –

• Scotland

• Wales

• Northern Ireland

• North East

• North West

• Midlands

• South West

• South East

This would still give plenty of work to a volunteer in reviewing 30 odd caches but also means they could choose areas they either know but no longer live in or an area they rarely visit. So for instance I come from Hampshire but now live in Chester. I would not want to look after the NW or Wales as it would stop me caching but could do SW as I know the areas and sensibilities (Hence my previous note re Pitchforks). Likewise I would do Northern Ireland or the North East as I rarely visit. This is not me putting myself forward for volunteering by the way

It would also be useful to understand what is hard and fast Groundspeak rules and what is culture specific - to give an example – Railways

In the UK railways were placed in previously owned land with limited rights and responsibilities. In many places the railway had to provide “odd” provisions so Micheldever station is about 4 miles from the village as it was placed closer to the land owners estate – so he could send his produce to his London home. The City Stations are rarely in the city look at Winchester, Salisbury or Chester. Lots of housing is built within yards of our rail lines.

So when asking a Moderator about a cache on a public footpath within feet of a rail line permission was granted as he explained how the USA as a relatively newly occupied land mass had given rights to the land either side of the rails and placing a cache there had resulted in the threat of prosecution.. This seems to be cultural specific. There are other instances. Whilst the placing of Ammo boxes may not cause concern in some areas it is probably still not clever in Crossmaglen!.

In closing you may question my rights to write in this way.

In 1773 a group of Townsfolk threw British Tea into Boston Harbour with the cry of “No taxation without representation” when this cry failed it took a few years but 1776 happened!. I believe we need to seriously sort this issue for the long term future so it doesn’t happen every 3 years and that independence is not seriously contemplated

Bob

Edited by Jan and the Percey Boys

Bob makes some very interesting suggestions there...

Is there anything to stop us from splitting up the tasks in the way he suggests? Deceangi could oversea everything (if he wanted to) and it would mean that the very arduous talk of being a reviewer / moderator would be reduced drastically and make recruiting new volunteers easier.

Just my thoughts...

I have been watching the events of the last few days with a mixture of sadness and inevitability. The UK Moderation is too large a job for the small no of moderators involved – even more so now!

I believe that the Job of Moderation should be subject to task analysis and then a way forward developed. I see the introvert type task of cache approval very different to the gregariousness needed to control the UK Forum – by far the largest single interest forum (over 2x the size of the geocoin one in which I post normally.)

For my part I would split it into 3 bits as follows – mutually reliant but with specific responsibility

2) Permission Negotiations, Public Relations etc: - Maybe we could utilise the excellent work carried out by the GAGB committee in this and ask them to be involved

3) Cache Approvers: - with 300 caches a week being added maybe we should regionalise this responsibility –

• Scotland

• Wales

• Northern Ireland

• North East

• North West

• Midlands

• South West

• South East

This would still give plenty of work to a volunteer in reviewing 30 odd caches but also means they could choose areas they either know but no longer live in or an area they rarely visit. So for instance I come from Hampshire but now live in Chester. I would not want to look after the NW or Wales as it would stop me caching but could do SW as I know the areas and sensibilities (Hence my previous note re Pitchforks). Likewise I would do Northern Ireland or the North East as I rarely visit. This is not me putting myself forward for volunteering by the way

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...st&p=470285

Ahh, sweet deja vue :P:):)

Bob makes some very interesting suggestions there...

Is there anything to stop us from splitting up the tasks in the way he suggests? Deceangi could oversea everything (if he wanted to) and it would mean that the very arduous talk of being a reviewer / moderator would be reduced drastically and make recruiting new volunteers easier.

Just my thoughts...

Just a shame I can't spell Management :)

:) This issue has really turned into a mess now and i really do not think if we all went elsewhere Groundspeak would really care.

It seems to me there are the two main issues which are the u.s mods coming in and over riding our uk mods which they can do as its their website and semi commercial cache listings. :)

This gives us a choice and we could all vote on it as i am sure there are more techie people out there who could set something up for the uk.

It seems the choices are we stay here and just rant like last time and this or use the listing pages and use another forum but as said before by a few peeps how do we get everyone over there to where ever we go?

Groundspeak are not going to budge on this in any way or its looking like this at the moment.

As for new mods for the uk and they have to use the heavy handed u.s option of moderating i think this will happen again and again.

I dread to think what any of the newbies think of this mess when they come on here as its enough to put anyone off!!

My personal view as stated before was and still is our uk mods did a great job of modding this part of the forum and it worked very well,if something works why change it??????? Did it effect anybody in the u.s=no!!

Cache review is easy compared to being a forum moderator. It is tough. The first post in that topic dodgydaved linked to expresses some of that and why one of the original moderators stepped down way back then. I loved this quote in that first post...

Time to restore some sanity, c'mon you guys, please try to live in harmony, if not in unison.
I know they were probably just frustrated when they called Americans "small minded". Like I say, no big deal to me, just interesting.

I do think that an individual has to decide if they want to do both positions of reviewer and moderator. Deceangi is going a great job with their added workload. I do both, others don't want to. Interesting first post in this topic.

Cache review is easy compared to being a forum moderator. It is tough. The first post in that topic dodgydaved linked to expresses some of that and why one of the original moderators stepped down way back then. I loved this quote in that first post...

Time to restore some sanity, c'mon you guys, please try to live in harmony, if not in unison.
I know they were probably just frustrated when they called Americans "small minded". Like I say, no big deal to me, just interesting.

I do think that an individual has to decide if they want to do both positions of reviewer and moderator. Deceangi is going a great job with their added workload. I do both, others don't want to. Interesting first post in this topic.

Good luck to you mtn-man, this (UK) forum has become so much the domain of a few names that the vast majority of UK cachers feel excluded, hopefully things will begin to change for the better now. The views posted on this forum are certainly not the overall feeling of all geocachers in the UK!

this (UK) forum has become so much the domain of a few names that the vast majority of UK cachers feel excluded, hopefully things will begin to change for the better now. The views posted on this forum are certainly not the overall feeling of all geocachers in the UK!

Huh??

Does anyone else feel like that? I've never felt so much as a flicker of anyone feeling lke that...

I wonder if I'm included in that sweeping statement!? :huh:

Edited by HazelS

... this (UK) forum has become so much the domain of a few names that the vast majority of UK cachers feel excluded, hopefully things will begin to change for the better now. The views posted on this forum are certainly not the overall feeling of all geocachers in the UK!

That's an interesting statement.

Could you expand on it a little and give some evidence, please, or is it just your personal impression? :huh:

MrsB

:):D:) Have we had any comments from 'The Americans' yet ?

Perhaps they should step in and explain the situation as it stands and at least give a statement explaining future undertakings.

We clearly need some reasurance to safeguard our interests and not to discourage newcomers to the 'sport'

My previous experience working for a multinational company with American lead management suggests that initial pessimism is usually replaced by mutual respect once the problem areas are discussed [by way of this forum] and positive change will not be long in being introduced.

So come on you 'Americans' --- your lead please !! :):huh:

Good luck to you mtn-man, this (UK) forum has become so much the domain of a few names that the vast majority of UK cachers feel excluded, hopefully things will begin to change for the better now. The views posted on this forum are certainly not the overall feeling of all geocachers in the UK!

I know where you are coming from on this. Many people have said to me that the UK forum is like a clique and they don't feel comfortable on it. Only 2 weeks ago someone said to me, I still post but not as nearly as much as I used to. I too used to post several comments a day, now it's down to a very small number a week.

I am replying as 1 person appears to have taken rastan's post personally and another wishes you to expand. I am not pointing fingers but just highlighting that it does exist. Now I shall say no more on the subject.

Have we had any comments from 'The Americans' yet ?

Well, if it's just the words on their passport that you're concerned about :huh:, you've had three posts in this thread alone from one of the most experienced volunteers, and I doubt that Groundspeak is in fundamental disagreement with the points of view he has expressed in any of his posts for the past five days.

Perhaps they should step in and explain the situation as it stands and at least give a statement explaining future undertakings.

I imagine they are giving their top priority to sorting out the reviewer/moderator situation, so that poor Deceangi can go and make a cup of tea without his PC exploding. An analysis of why this situation happened and how to prevent a recurrence, will take a little longer.

Groundspeak is a pretty open company in many ways, but they don't like to discuss in public things which might be coming up. (Companies which do that tend to be accused of "spin" or "trolling vaporware".) I'm sure that they are not happy about what has happened and will want to take the right steps to prevent a repetition.

... this (UK) forum has become so much the domain of a few names that the vast majority of UK cachers feel excluded, hopefully things will begin to change for the better now. The views posted on this forum are certainly not the overall feeling of all geocachers in the UK!

Could you expand on it a little and give some evidence, please, or is it just your personal impression? :)

MrsB

If its a personal impression, its shared by many , certainly amongst cachers I've met.

If you need evidence , consider these two threads, ....excluding moderators...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...amp;hl=st.kilda

120 replies by 21 cachers ............. attendees ...... 8 cache names

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;hl=lang+spoon

10 replies by 7 cachers ...................attendees ...... 49 cache names

Its not an invitation to argue stats or semantics , but you did ask for supporting evidence... ;)

Slainge Bob

Edited by Flyfishermanbob

QUOTE(The Blorenges @ Apr 28 2008, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(rastan @ Apr 28 2008, 03:01 AM) *

Could you expand on it a little and give some evidence, please, or is it just your personal impression? huh.gif

MrsB

If its a personal impression, its shared by many , certainly amongst cachers I've met.

Its not an invitation to argue stats or semantics , but you did ask for supporting evidence... unsure.gif

A tentative reply - in case I'm one of the posters hogging this sites bandwidth.....

There aren't a finite number of replies that can be made to a post - or a limited number of new posts that can be made.

Not posting in the forum because "the same people keep posting" just doesn't (to me, personally) ring true.

Or would you rather regular posters reigned back on their responses to issues that interested them, in case anybody else wanted to post on the same topic.

It's not like this is a REALLY NOISY pub, where you have to shout to be heard - everybody's voice is posted at the same volume, and is heard equally by all readers.

Or would you rather regular posters reigned back on their responses to issues that interested them, in case anybody else wanted to post on the same topic.

It's not like this is a REALLY NOISY pub, where you have to shout to be heard - everybody's voice is posted at the same volume, and is heard equally by all readers.

Hi keehotee, I'm not proposing anything

The request was for supporting evidence of :

"this (UK) forum has become so much the domain of a few names that the vast majority of UK cachers feel excluded":

I was supplying some food for thought.....

Edited by Flyfishermanbob

Could you expand on it a little and give some evidence, please, or is it just your personal impression? :D

MrsB

Its not an invitation to argue stats or semantics , but you did ask for supporting evidence... ;)

Slainge Bob

I think we have to accept that times change and that Forums get a life of their own.

Some change radically coin forum example

others become the preserve of either silliness or people harping on about their own agenda - (we should declare UDI) or Ego - (Iknow better than you) Bracketed are examples and not to be linked to any person :)

I am not really a forum person - I dont post very often as can be seen by my numbers over almost 4 years - not because I am scared, cowed, worried etc but because I don't have a lot to say. I am not gregarious and unless I BELIEVE I have something positive to add then I try and keep my mouth shut (unless it is something funny :D:):Dsee what I mean )

I think the majority of cachers couldn't give a stuff about the Forum actually it is that they ar not bothered not because it is a clique. The same with chat rooms, GAGB etc etc

anyway back to lurking

Bob

Good luck to you mtn-man...

Pssst... I am not the one leaving. ;) You are still stuck with me overall, though only for a short time in here for the most part.

:D:):D Have we had any comments from 'The Americans' yet ?

We clearly need some reasurance to safeguard our interests and not to discourage newcomers to the 'sport'

My previous experience working for a multinational company with American lead management suggests that initial pessimism is usually replaced by mutual respect once the problem areas are discussed [by way of this forum] and positive change will not be long in being introduced.

So come on you 'Americans' --- your lead please !! :D:D

I've been posting here and there, trying not to butt in too much but still trying to answer questions that I know the answers to and just to give some moral support. I am just a volunteer though, but one of the two volunteer site wide moderators.

There were two posts from the main office, this one in quotes in the first post:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3439263

And another one here, but you really need to go to the very top and read the question and most of the topic:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3443258

And sTeamTraen, your check is in the mail. :):D

I wonder if I'm included in that sweeping statement!? ;)

A tentative reply - in case I'm one of the posters hogging this sites bandwidth.....

It's statements like these that make it difficult to give an honest opinion on here. Both of these statements are defensive. If you are unsure then you fall into 1 of 2 categories....

1. You aren't including in the statement.

2. You are included in the statement, and your head is so buried in your own personal view that you can't see it.

The above statement and quotes are being used as an example from and for this thread, and should not be taken as finger pointing at the two individuals quoted.

Hi keehotee, I'm not proposing anything

The request was for supporting evidence of :

"this (UK) forum has become so much the domain of a few names that the vast majority of UK cachers feel excluded":

I do know what you mean....

I took a hiatus from caching (hard to believe, I know, but with the proper support and medication it IS possible to go a week - or even longer - without chasing after tupperware) for about 18 months, and when I came back the forums were full of people I'd never heard of, posting on any topic under the sun, with the slightest relevance to caching - but with time (ahem) my responses came to be heard as well....

People shouldn't be intimidated at seeing the same names appearing time after time in here - this is a forum "A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas" where everybody's opinion (however ill-founded) counts - it's not just an online meeting place for people with nothing better to do with their loves......... ;):):D

Edited by keehotee

Could you expand on it a little and give some evidence, please, or is it just your personal impression? ;)

MrsB

Many thanks to those who have just done so - Your comments have been heard :) I won't continue this line of discussion on this thread as I fear it may be pulling it Off Topic, however I would be rather disappointed and saddened to feel that any relatively new visitors to this Forum were put off posting here (for any reasons).

Perhaps this aspect of the Forum should be discussed in a new thread, at some point?

MrsB

QUOTE(rastan @ Apr 28 2008, 03:01 AM)

I've been using/reading the forums for about 4/5 days now and I've not felt like that at all. Infact I've felt totally the oposite and have reiceived alot of help from some of those 'names' ;)

Edited by KirstyR.GB

Most Internet forums have a core consisting of small number of prolific poster, along with a large number of lurkers / occasional poster. This is a fact of Internet life and the GC UK forum is no different.

That said, I have not seen anything to indicate that new / occasional posters are unwelcome.

I would rather read sensible posts from a few contributers than a load of nonsense posted just for the sake of posting.

Just because the majority of us don't post very often, if at all, doesn't mean we are not interested in the discussions which are taking place.

I would rather say nothing than duplicate what has already been said and make the posts too long.

Ivan

• Scotland

• Wales

• Northern Ireland

• North East

• North West

• Midlands

• South West

• South East

Back to the OP

I work in a similar area to Bob - I'm a business consultant

I agree the structure needs to evolve. Funneling everything through a couple of reviewers worked several years ago. No longer.

The structure above sounds a good idea, though finding 8 reviewers is a bit hopeful.

To go one step further.

Pull it together into 1 UK caching body so it has muscle.

Then add a commercially minded person in charge who acts as a conduit with Groundspeak & delivers what we're yearning for in the UK whilst keeping Groundspeak on board.

It would help if the UK members paid a membership fee to the UK body which included the Groundspeak Premium Membership & a token amount towards the running of the UK body. The UK body can then pass the Premium Membership over to Groundspeak. This act in itself of paying Groundspeak gives the UK body a lot more muscle.

Groundspeak is acting no differently to big centrally controlled corporates. UK are seen as the "subsidiary". But the UK voice will only be heard if it is singular, strong & clear. At the moment its seen as a load of individuals making noise in a forum.

We're acting in a typical UK way of thinking we should follow all the rules literally. It happens in the EU & the French laugh at us for being so "Anglo-Saxon".

Be a bit more French. :lol: Have some Gallic savvy. Follow the rules so Groundspeak are happy but find acceptable ways of "interpreting" them to suit the UK.

Martyn

The structure above sounds a good idea, though finding 8 reviewers is a bit hopeful.

To go one step further.

Pull it together into 1 UK caching body so it has muscle.

Then add a commercially minded person in charge who acts as a conduit with Groundspeak & delivers what we're yearning for in the UK whilst keeping Groundspeak on board.

It would help if the UK members paid a membership fee to the UK body which included the Groundspeak Premium Membership & a token amount towards the running of the UK body. The UK body can then pass the Premium Membership over to Groundspeak. This act in itself of paying Groundspeak gives the UK body a lot more muscle.

Groundspeak is acting no differently to big centrally controlled corporates. UK are seen as the "subsidiary". But the UK voice will only be heard if it is singular, strong & clear. At the moment its seen as a load of individuals making noise in a forum.

A truly appalling idea IMHO.

Why add an extra level of bureaucracy ran by commitee men, I wouldn't even consider joining an organisation aimed at creating division in a worldwide pastime. I'm sure I'm not alone so how could such a self-appointed body ever claim to effectively represent UK cachers.

It seems to me that this whole problem is down to nothing more than people being petty and pedantic about a set of rules that work perfectly well if we just get on with it. Do we really want that sort of mentality setting up a cliquey club to force their views onto all cachers in the UK ?

Sorry uktim but given the current restlessness, doing nothing is never going to be an option.

Looks like nobby nobbs is already picking up the role I suggested as conduit with Groundspeak with support from the GAGB committee.

See his thread

If he starts to make progress in meeting the issues in the UK then I predict that GAGB & its committee will gain a lot of respect & come out of this as a strong voice for the UK cachers...

Referring back to the OP, are GAGB then the better placed than Groundspeak to determine how many cache reviewers / forum reviewers we need? And to deal with permissions, PR etc?

If yes, then they should do it.

Natural forces have made this happen - if its seen to be "bureaucratic" then maybe thats what is required.

...Then add a commercially minded person in charge who acts as a conduit with Groundspeak & delivers what we're yearning for in the UK whilst keeping Groundspeak on board....

Hmm that's what Lacto and Ecky were trying to do, and Deccy still is. Committess and sub-committees and money aren't needed, just Mods/Reviewers who have a voice and are listened to. B)

Edited by PopUpPirate

Sorry uktim but given the current restlessness, doing nothing is never going to be an option.

Looks like nobby nobbs is already picking up the role I suggested as conduit with Groundspeak with support from the GAGB committee.

See his thread

If he starts to make progress in meeting the issues in the UK then I predict that GAGB & its committee will gain a lot of respect & come out of this as a strong voice for the UK cachers...

No-one has yet highlighted a real issue in my eyes. The crux of the whole matter seems to be down to the ability or otherwise to mention pub names on cache pages. An issue which appears to be relevant everywhere and needs to be treated as such instead of as a parochial British issue.

If we allow a few "empire builders" to set up shop off the back of this isuue, we'll wind up with a collection of puffed-up, self-appointed commitee men, asserting their will over the rest of us, patting themselves on the back for it and telling us what a great job they're doing on our behalf.

Believe me we really don't want those with the loudest voices appointing themselves and making up their own "rules". They'll be no better than Groundspeak, some will like their rules but a great many won't.

I've seen to many "associations" like this spring up and drive a wedge through sports, hobbies and even industries with their pompous self-glorifying drivel. They usually charge grass roots participants a sub for their "services" in alleviating non-existant issues and threats and procalim that it is our "duty" to pay up B)

Geocaching works, it's fun and it's growing day by day, lets get on with it instead of posturing over petty non-issues.

with respect please follow the arguments of this post. At no point was it about pub addresses but about moderation of the Forum and how caches were authorised. Please keep on subject - Thanks

Bob

Here here (or is it hear hear?? I dunno)

Any and every thread here and elsewhere concerning our gripes with GC has degenerated to being about pubs in listings..... there are other issues people! Personally, not mentioning a pub every other line wasn't the biggest of them for me (even though I have just held an event at a pub - and yes, it was mentioned by name, and it included a link to the pub's website) :mad::)

Here here (or is it hear hear?? I dunno)

Any and every thread here and elsewhere concerning our gripes with GC has degenerated to being about pubs in listings..... there are other issues people!

I've not been following the vast quantities of debate lately, just skimming, but you do seem to have summed it up nicely. It does seem to be all about pubs on cache pages and whether UK pubs are better or more cultural or whatnot than US pubs. I know there's more to it than that (at least I hope there is!) but that's how it seems to a casual observer.

(It's hear hear by the way). Anyway ... back on topic ...

Edited by Team Sieni

If we allow a few "empire builders" to set up shop off the back of this isuue, we'll wind up with a collection of puffed-up, self-appointed commitee men, asserting their will over the rest of us, patting themselves on the back for it and telling us what a great job they're doing on our behalf.

Believe me we really don't want those with the loudest voices appointing themselves and making up their own "rules". They'll be no better than Groundspeak, some will like their rules but a great many won't.

I've seen to many "associations" like this spring up and drive a wedge through sports, hobbies and even industries with their pompous self-glorifying drivel. They usually charge grass roots participants a sub for their "services" in alleviating non-existant issues and threats and procalim that it is our "duty" to pay up :)

Geocaching works, it's fun and it's growing day by day, lets get on with it instead of posturing over petty non-issues.

Drat you've seen through my cunning plan of world domination!! :mad:

The GAGB committee are voted in each year by it's members. Please join and then you can decide who is the voice for the UK. We've not just sprung up and we have no other agenda in this matter other than what we have always said we will do. That is to stand up for UK cachers and try to get what our members want.

We sat back and didn't start anything at first then people said "what's the point of you if you don't stand up for us in this situation" So I began the other thread. Trust me I should be doing other things right now but I'm doing this to try and benefit us all.

I should be sainted really shouldn't I? :P:P

I should be sainted really shouldn't I?

I'd aim low to start with and try for a knighthood- Lord Nobby of Nobbington? Earl Nobbs? The Duke of Nobby?

:):D

I believe it's Earl Nobbs but I'm rusty on my knowledge of that world which is supported by the four elephants :)

I should be sainted really shouldn't I?

I'd aim low to start with and try for a knighthood- Lord Nobby of Nobbington? Earl Nobbs? The Duke of Nobby?

:):D

I believe it's Earl Nobbs but I'm rusty on my knowledge of that world which is supported by the four elephants :)

As far as I'm aware, Most Honourable Deci, Nobby Nobbs has yet to elevate himself above the rank of Corporal on the aforementioned world.

P