Knock Knock. Who's There? Nova Scotia Cointest

The Skylark Four

I've been lucky enough to win a few coins here on the forum, including one today. So, time to give back.

The prize is a new 2007 Lunenburg County Cachers coin (yes it's 2008 but the coins were delayed for different reasons).

These coins were only sold to cachers from Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. They are very nice, my photos don't do justice to the coins.

HPIM8928.jpgHPIM8935.jpg

To enter, post a message containing the following two parts.

Part 1: Tell us a fact about Nova Scotia.

Part 2: Tell us a clean knock-knock joke.

One coin will go to a randomly chosen "Nova Scotia fact" entry.

Another coin to whoever posts the funniest joke.

Winner chosen by the youngest members of the Skylark Four, a 5 & 7yr old.

Cointest starts now (Friday evening Nova Scotia time) and ends sometime Sunday evening (Nova Scotia time).

Because of work winning entries will be posted Monday evening.

You can enter up to five times a day and good luck

Alexander Graham Bell along with colleagues produced the fastest boat in the world. He had a cottage in Nova Scotia (and passed away in Nova Scotia).

This he did along with inventing the telephone!

And now the groaner...

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Jenny.

Jenny who?

Je need to know where to mail the Geocoin to?

Nova Scotia - claimed by John Cabot in 1497 is Britain's only colony named in Latin (New Scotland) by James I of England, VI of Scotland, in 1621.

edited to add knock knock joke and then going back to learning english comprehension....

Knock, knock

Who's There?

Gorilla

Gorilla Who?

Gorilla me a hamburger, I'm hungry.

Edited by PengoFamily

The Nova Scotia Tartan is Canada's Oldest. In 1956, Nova Scotia became Canada's first province to have an official tartan approved by the Royal Registry in Scotland.

Colors:

Blue & White - The seas

Greens - The forrests

Red - The Royal Lion

Gold - The Nova Scotia Royal Charter

Knock knock.

Who's there?

A little old lady.

A little old lady who?

We didn't know you could yodel.

# The Nova Scotia Tartan is Canada's Oldest. In 1956, Nova Scotia became Canada's first province to have an official tartan approved by the Royal Registry in Scotland. Colors: Blue & White - The seas

# Greens - The forrests

# Red - The Royal Lion

# Gold - The Nova Scotia Royal Charter

edited to add knock knock jokes...should have gone to bed ...can't even read a cointest properly lol

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Woo.

Woo, who?

Don't get so excited, it's just a joke.

Edited by PengoFamily

last for today....

Bluenoses: Nova Scotian's are proudly called "Bluenoses" or "Bluenosers" since the 1700's. Reason: Planting and exporting of Irish Bluenose Potatoes, blue marks on the noses of fishermen left by blue mitts, and the nickname given to the Nova Scotia British troops which occupied New York City and Boston during the American Revolution.

doh edited to add knock knock knock joke

Knock, knock

Who's there?

Adolf Adolf who?

Adolph ball hit me in de mowf. Dat's why I dawk dis way.

Edited by PengoFamily

According to the 2001 Canadian census[12] the largest ethnic group in Nova Scotia is Scottish (29.3%), followed by English (28.1%), Irish (19.9%), French (16.7%), German (10.0%), Dutch (3.9%), First Nations (3.2%), Welsh (1.4%), Italian (1.3%), and Acadian (1.2%). Almost half of all respondents (47.4%) identified their ethnicity as "Canadian."

Knock Knock!

Who's there?

Police.

Police who?

Police let us in; it's cold out here.

Edited by KrazyTrollz

The world was stunned in 1912 by the loss of the liner Titanic on her maiden voyage. Halifax, Nova Scotia, located on the eastern coast of Canada, has one of the most moving and intimate connections with the Titanic disaster, playing a key role during the tragedy's aftermath and becoming the final resting place of many of her unclaimed victims.

Three Halifax ships were involved in the grim task of recovering victims - many of whom were laid to rest in three of our city's cemeteries. Rows of black granite headstones, each inscribed with the same date, April 15, 1912, are a stark reminder of the disaster.

Knock Knock:

Who's there?

Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer who?

Tom saw yer underwear! :):)

Some believe that the Vikings may have settled in Nova Scotia at some time, though there is little evidence of this and the claim is disputed by historians. The only authenticated Viking settlement in North America is L'Anse aux Meadows, which establishes the fact that Vikings explored the continent 500 years before Christopher Columbus.

Knock Knock!

Who's there?

Annie.

Annie who?

Annie thing you can do, I can do better.

As Nova Scotia juts out into the Atlantic, it is prone to tropical storms and hurricanes in the summer and autumn.

There have been 33 such storms, including 12 hurricanes, since records were kept in 1871 - about once per four years. The last hurricane was category-two Hurricane Juan in September 2003, and the last tropical storm was in Tropical Storm Noel in 2007.

Knock Knock!

Who's there?

Dot.

Dot who?

Dots for me to know, and you to find out.

The Halifax Explosion occurred on Thursday, December 6, 1917, when the City of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, was devastated by the huge detonation of a French cargo ship, fully loaded with wartime explosives, that had accidentally collided with a Norwegian ship in "The Narrows" section of the Halifax Harbour. Approximately 2,000 people (mostly Canadians) were killed by debris, fires, or collapsed buildings, and it is estimated that over 9,000 people were injured. This was the largest man-made explosion until the first atomic bomb test explosion in 1945 and is still one of the world's largest man-made, conventional explosions to date.

At 8:40 in the morning, Mont-Blanc, a French cargo ship which was chartered by the French government to carry munitions, collided with the unloaded Norwegian ship Imo, chartered by the Commission for Relief in Belgium to carry relief supplies. Mont-Blanc caught fire ten minutes after the collision and exploded about twenty-five minutes later (at 9:04:35 AM). All buildings and structures covering nearly two square kilometres along the adjacent shore of the exploded ship were obliterated, including those in the neighbouring communities of Richmond and Dartmouth. The explosion caused a tsunami in the harbour, and a pressure wave of air that snapped trees, bent iron rails, demolished buildings, grounded vessels, and carried fragments of the Mont-Blanc for kilometres.

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Hatch

Hatch who?

Bless you

The Town of Lunenburg was formally established in 1753 as the first British Colonial settlement in Nova Scotia outside of Halifax. These early settlers were from various parts of Germany, Switzerland, and the Montbeliard region of France.

Knock, knock

Who's there?

Lettuce.

Lettuce who?

Lettuce in, it's cold out here.

Theodore Tugboat is a television show for children about a little tugboat, his friends, and their adventures in the Big Harbor. Produced in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada by CBC Television and Cochran Entertainment from 1993 to 1999, it is no longer in production and the company has since closed (2001). Classic Media now owns the distribution rights to the program.

It at one time appeared in 80 countries; it aired on CBC Television in Canada; on PBS and Noggin in the United States, and has recently been picked up by the digital qubo children's channel.

The show dealt with events (such as the arrival of a superliner), or feelings like loneliness. The show was filmed on a model set with radio-controlled tugboats, ships, and machinery.

Knock Knock

Who's there !

Punch !

Punch who ?

Not me - I just got here !

William Hall, born in Nova Scotia in 1827, volunteered for the Royal Navy and was decorated in the Crimean War in 1855. In 1857 he was sent with a brigade of sailors to Lucknow, India to relieve the British garrison besieged there. Only Hall and one officer survived and between them they loaded and served the last gun. For this, he won the Victoria Cross, making him the first black man to do so.

Hall died at home in Avonport, Nova Scotia in 1904.

Knock knock

Who's there?

Norma Lee

Norma Lee who?

Norma Lee I ring the doorbell.

The province of Nova Scotia has the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Northumberland Strait on the north, and the Atlantic Ocean on the south and east. It is connected to the province of New Brunswick on the west by the Chignecto Isthmus.

Knock Knock!

Who's there?

Disney.

Disney who?

I just stopped spinning, so I am Disney!

:)

The game of Ice Hockey was adapted from the Irish field game of Hurley by student's of Canada's first college (King's College School) in Windsor, Nova Scotia sometime between 1788 and 1800. The first steel 'hockey' skates were produced by a company in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia and the first 'hockey' sticks were produced by native Mi'kmaq carvers.

Knock knock

Who's there?

Jess

Jess who?

Jess open the door, will ya?

The Smashing Pumpkins gave their last tour performance (before reuniting last year) in Halifax, Nova Scotia on August 16, 2000. They were the headliners of the Summersault Canadian Music Festival and shared the stage with:

Finger Eleven

Sum 41

Treble Charger

The Catherine Wheel

Eve 6

A Perfect Circle

Foo Fighters

Our Lady Peace

It was an AMAZING show!

Knock knock

Who's there?

Maida

Maida who?

Maida force be with you!

How about TWO random facts?

Unlike any other place in Canada, Nova Scotia has a tidal power plant.

On April 15, 1923, Nova Scotia officially decided to switch from driving on the left-hand side of the road to the right-hand side of the road.

Knock Knock!

Who's there?

Eye!

Eye who?

Eye know who you are Skylark Four! :)

Originally populated by the Mi'kmaq First Nation, the first European settlers were the French, who founded Acadia in 1604. Nova Scotia was briefly colonized by Scottish settlers in 1620, though by 1624 the Scottish settlers had been removed by treaty and the area was turned over to the French until the mid-1700s. After the defeat of the French and prior expulsion of the Acadians, settlers of English, Irish, Scottish and African descent began arriving on the shores of Nova Scotia.

Knock Knock!

Who's there?

Norma Lee.

Norma Lee who?

Normalee I don't go around knocking on doors, but do you want to give me a geocoin?

In the popular Carly Simon song "You're so Vain", Nova Scotia is mentioned in the following verse: "Well, I hear you went up to Saratoga/ And your horse naturally won./ Then you flew your Lear jet up to Nova Scotia/ To see the total eclipse of the sun." This solar eclipse took place on the 10th of July 1972.

Knock Knock!

Who's there?

Orange!

Orange Who?

Orange you gonna open the door?

Nova Scotia is the second smallest province in Canada, with an area of 55,284 km². Its population of 935,573 makes it the fourth least populous province of the country, though second most densely populated.

Knock Knock!

Adolph!

Adolph who?

Adolph ball hit me in de mowf.

John Mayer's song "This Will All Make Perfect Sense Someday" includes the line "And if it ever gets bad/ I mean really bad/ I'll move to Nova Scotia/ Forget the life I had/ I'll be up at 9 each morning/ Down by the shore/ Collecting things that fell off boats in storms/ Well ok so I might never/ But it's nice to know the option's there."

Knock Knock!

Who's there?

Champ.

Champ Who?

Champ poo your hair, it's dirty.

A founding province of Canada, Nova Scotia is nearly surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, and is known for its high tides, lobster, fish, blueberries and apples.

Knock Knock!

Who's there?

Woo.

Woo, who?

Don't get so excited, it's just a joke.

Thanks for the cointest. :)