Cache Event not approved

I cannot explain it any further.

You can't explain it any further because it's rather evident there's no way of rationally explaining what's happening here. Don't worry, I understand. By leaving the rules and guidelines vague and unintelligible, it enpowers a select few with the authority of decision making fueled by pure arbitrariness.

Twist it any way you would like. The solution has been given, and is a very simple one.

Write to Groundspeak for permission.

I think that if someone wants to be a victim, then they will be.

The organizer also left notes on the cache page. I have a form letter for that, too:

Hello,

I am sorry if my prior note was unclear. Groundspeak will not know about the note that you wrote. You need to send them an e-mail. Only Groundspeak can make a decision whether or not your cache is acceptable under the Commercial Cache guideline. I encourage you to write to them for guidance as soon as possible. You should only leave a note for me on the cache page once you've heard back from Groundspeak.

Regards,

Keystone

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer

Why did Krypton not answer either of the emails we sent him or at the very least communicate with a note like the one you posted above to the cache page?

In the future we will only add the barest of information to event cache pages. Sad really. Less effort gets rewarded. Maybe we should just hold flash events. Please drive many miles and join us in camp for 15 minutes and then please leave.

It's rather sad, but this is what Groundspeak seems to be implying. It seems the superficial, for the number flash mob event that takes zero effort to put together, and that does very little for the reputation of geocachers other than make them appear to be even more mentally deranged, is the wave of the future, and to hell with events which actually try and explore the history and geography of the locales.

Number whores 1

Historians 0

Mr. Wisearse.

Again...not really even close! You DO understand that you can add your own clickable link which can go straight to an event info page...right? If anything, giving me the reason to do this made my event even MORE personalized and informative!! I'd have never had the reason to set up a sererate site and put in all the great pictures and info which really makes my event seem "professional"...but nope, just a guy given a reason to be creative! Check it out...event page has clickable link near bottom of description!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...22-bf3e3d390221

I mean...even a blog for Q&A's...WOW!

By the standards to which the SoCal'ers event was denied, your event cache should not have been published, either, since the link at the bottom of the description includes links to clearly commerical sites, like http://www.personalgeocoins.com.

Thanks for making my point, that there's nothing clear about the event guidelines, and something needs to be changed lest more selective persecution ensues.

MrW.

Not at all...the site I'm linked to is MY personal site. We in Michigan were fortunate to have been given hands-on guidance in what is allowed. You can link to personal sites which can then mention and give links to businesses like hotels, restaurants and sponsors!

I see. So YOUR "personal site" (just what makes a site personal, by the way, are you the CEO of Comcast?) which admittedly contains commercial links is ok, whereas a company site (like DesertUSA) which contains commercial links is not ok.

Yeah, the logic behind that is clear as mud.

What if the the Socal'er was the owner of the DesertUSA site? Then that'd be his personal site and this would all be for nothing and the cache would be published? Hmmmm. Did anyone care to ask the SoCal'er if DesertUSA was his "personal site"?

Clear as mud, I say.

MrW.

The organizer also left notes on the cache page. I have a form letter for that, too:

Hello,

I am sorry if my prior note was unclear. Groundspeak will not know about the note that you wrote. You need to send them an e-mail. Only Groundspeak can make a decision whether or not your cache is acceptable under the Commercial Cache guideline. I encourage you to write to them for guidance as soon as possible. You should only leave a note for me on the cache page once you've heard back from Groundspeak.

Regards,

Keystone

Why did Krypton not answer either of the emails we sent him or at the very least communicate with a note like the one you posted above to the cache page?

In the future we will only add the barest of information to event cache pages. Sad really. Less effort gets rewarded. Maybe we should just hold flash events. Please drive many miles and join us in camp for 15 minutes and then please leave.

It's rather sad, but this is what Groundspeak seems to be implying. It seems the superficial, for the number flash mob event that takes zero effort to put together, and that does very little for the reputation of geocachers other than make them appear to be even more mentally deranged, is the wave of the future, and to hell with events which actually try and explore the history and geography of the locales.

Number whores 1

Historians 0

Mr. Wisearse.

Again...not really even close! You DO understand that you can add your own clickable link which can go straight to an event info page...right? If anything, giving me the reason to do this made my event even MORE personalized and informative!! I'd have never had the reason to set up a sererate site and put in all the great pictures and info which really makes my event seem "professional"...but nope, just a guy given a reason to be creative! Check it out...event page has clickable link near bottom of description!

By the standards to which the SoCal'ers event was denied, your event cache should not have been published, either, since the link at the bottom of the description includes links to clearly commerical sites, like http://www.personalgeocoins.com.

Thanks for making my point, that there's nothing clear about the event guidelines, and something needs to be changed lest more selective persecution ensues.

MrW.

Not at all...the site I'm linked to is MY personal site. We in Michigan were fortunate to have been given hands-on guidance in what is allowed. You can link to personal sites which can then mention and give links to businesses like hotels, restaurants and sponsors!

I see. So YOUR "personal site" (just what makes a site personal, by the way, are you the CEO of Comcast?) which admittedly contains commercial links is ok, whereas a company site (like DesertUSA) which contains commercial links is not ok.

What if the the Socal'er was the owner of the DesertUSA site? Then that'd be his personal site and this would all be for nothing and the cache would be published? Hmmmm. Did anyone care to ask the SoCal'er if DesertUSA was his "personal site"?

Clear as mud, I say.

MrW.

He could have certainly explained that in his appeal.

My understanding of this little bit of offending URL obfuscation was that while a cache listing page cannot directly link to commercial sites, you can link to your own web page that does use the same offending links. This is what I did for an event I hosted last year (one of the GeocoinFest multi-event events)

As others have said, it seems a VERY fine line between doing that (where I had a non-commercial external page linked from the cache listing which then linked to event sponsor's sites, who are definitely commercial) and linking from the cache listing page to an informational web page that has advertisements to support that site.

It would appear that as long as you follow the "once removed" rule, you would be able to link to whatever you'd like? :lol:

So if the cache-run itinerary with the URL bookmarks was hosted on a page linked to by the cache listing page, all would have been kosher? :lol:

Hello,

Regards,

Keystone

Number whores 1

Historians 0

Mr. Wisearse.

MrW.

Clear as mud, I say.

MrW.

How? None of this information is in the guidelines, and I doubt the OP is psychic. Is this Groundspeak's new and improved set of rules: "Guess what we think and your event, too, can be published!"

MrW.

Hello,

Regards,

Keystone

Number whores 1

Historians 0

Mr. Wisearse.

MrW.

Clear as mud, I say.

MrW.

How? None of this information is in the guidelines, and I doubt the OP is psychic. Is this Groundspeak's new and improved set of rules: "Guess what we think and your event, too, can be published!"

MrW.

Hi. My reviewer denied my event and told me to contact you to appeal it. The cache ID is GCXXXXX. Can you tell me what is wrong with the page and help me get it listed?

Hello,

Regards,

Keystone

Number whores 1

Historians 0

Mr. Wisearse.

MrW.

Clear as mud, I say.

MrW.

You know, I don't mind trying to help you, but if you just want to be snide about things...

The site is MY site in that "I" set it up. It was a nice blank screen until "I" put the words and pics on it. Therefore, it's MINE!

Had the owner followed the reviewer's note, he might have known this. Also, it was mentioned by the one who handles the appeals that he could have worked it out HAD the owner followed the instructions...so selective persecution is way overboard and the attitude uncalled for! IMHO

Seriously ? No restaurants ? I gotta go back and read those guidelines more carefully. How do all those pizza get togethers get posted ? As the informal president of the Corona Area Cachers Association, I've held two pizza events myself. It's a good thing the reviewers ignore that rule, or we would never be able to socialize.

Ooooops. New to the forum thing. This posting was in supposed to be in response to another persons posting. I guess I didn't do it right.

Edited by gebskab

Saw this on another forum. So...does this mean every one here is free to discuss this topic...as long as they don't take a viewpoint that is opposite the partyline? I've been following this thread and didn't think Wisearse's posts were out of line enough to warrant banishment from the thread. But hey...that's just me.

Here's an email I just received from Groundspeak:

Mr. & Mrs. Wisearse,

Quiggle has sent you this email from http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php.

Your constant arguing and combativeness in the "Cache Event not approved" thread is not going anywhere. At this point you need to stay out of the discussion and let those who want to discuss it do so. The specific thread you should no longer participate in (even if someone posts a question or response to you) is http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=190245

Should you decide to post to the thread again, your posting privileges will be suspended for a time to be determined at that point.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact Michael at Groundspeak directly at michael@Groundspeak.com

Thank you,

Quiggle

Forum Moderator, "Geocaching Topics"

---------------------------------------------------

Please note that Groundspeak Forums has no control over the

contents of this message.

---------------------------------------------------

Regards,

The Groundspeak Forums team.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php

Yawning at the latest Wisearse martyrdom episode. It certainly follows a predictable pattern. Give it a rest and return control of the thread to those who wish to discuss the merits of the decision and the process in a calm, respectful fashion.

Yours is a classic case of "listening with your answer running". ...

Not very respectful if you ask me...and then he sends the email banning Wisearse from the thread????

Kinda hard to have a "discussion" when one viewpoint on the issue is sent packing.

Edited by T&J+AJT

The subject of the thread is the event cache -- not the moderators' efforts to keep the thread on track. Please do not post off-topic. If you wish to contest the action of the moderators, write to appeals@geocaching.com. Thank you.

No prob. Just thought the whole thing was a little interesting. Back to lurking.

Seriously ? No restaurants ? I gotta go back and read those guidelines more carefully. How do all those pizza get togethers get posted ? As the informal president of the Corona Area Cachers Association, I've held two pizza events myself. It's a good thing the reviewers ignore that rule, or we would never be able to socialize.

Ooooops. New to the forum thing. This posting was in supposed to be in response to another persons posting. I guess I didn't do it right.

You are permitted to post the name and address of the business once, to allow attendees (perhaps without GPSr's - they do exist!) to know where to meet.

You are permitted to post the name and address of the business once, to allow attendees (perhaps without GPSr's - they do exist!) to know where to meet.

Exactly PJPeters, you can announce the location ONCE. You cannot give menus or list prices . You can then have a clickable link (linking to your personal website or other information page) which can have links to your sponsors, hotels, restaurants, car rental etc etc.

The guidelines have changed...if you'd read the entire thread, this was all discussed several times over! :)

Exactly PJPeters, you can announce the location ONCE. You cannot give menus or list prices . You can then have a clickable link (linking to your personal website or other information page) which can have links to your sponsors, hotels, restaurants, car rental etc etc.

The guidelines have changed...if you'd read the entire thread, this was all discussed several times over! ;)

Thanks RR. If the Michagan reviewer was able to give this information out why isn't it in the guidelines - or if they are too lazy to change the guidelines page - why not post the memo in the forums so we can see it. RR has been told this information by his reviewer - why couldn't the California reviewers do this when they asked the OP to contact geocaching.com. Do we each need to write contact@geocaching to get this information passed to us?

At the risk of getting one of these myself...tozainamboku types:

Thanks RR. If the Michagan reviewer was able to give this information out why isn't it in the guidelines - or if they are too lazy to change the guidelines page - why not post the memo in the forums so we can see it. RR has been told this information by his reviewer - why couldn't the California reviewers do this when they asked the OP to contact geocaching.com. Do we each need to write contact@geocaching to get this information passed to us?

and gets this because of it:

Hey James' date=' I just got my first warning ever from Quiggle too.

Please read the forum guidelines at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules which state:

"Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated."

Calling employees of Groundspeak, the volunteers, or anyone else "lazy" is uncalled for and unacceptable.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Quiggle

Forum Moderator, "Geocaching Topics"*

He/she didn't say "Quiggle is lazy" or "Keystone is lazy" it was "if they are too lazy "

Some people are way too sensative about things.

You are still implying it to someone. That is wrong.

It would be like someone posting that some people are too lazy to preview their posts before posting them and then get quotes messed up, which make them very hard to read. While not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, it is still rude to post something like that. Some people might be sensitive about that, so you should be considerate of everyone and choose your words better, even if generalizing.

By the way, the fact that you are exchanging your warning notes is off topic, of course. Please stick to the topic.

Edited by mtn-man
"Guess what we think and your event, too, can be published!"

I think the easier method would be to simply follow the directives provided by the Reviewer. No need for crystal balls or Tarot cards. If the Reviewer says, "Please E-mail appeals@Groundspeak .com", then perhaps E-mailing appeals@Groundspeak .com might work. At the very least, it can't hurt. What's the worst that could happen?

For this, I have no answer except to say that it wasn't the Michigan reviewer which told us this. We had a little help through the whole guidelines changing process...from high up!!

Clan is exactly right with his comment too...when it got to the point it did, the OP should have simply followed the reviewer's directions!! This thread shouldn't even have been needed really...but it does appear to be informative!!

I likely wouldn't call our PTB lazy....that's a tad rude. Since I or no one other than TPTB know this answer, I can only speculate...maybe this new change is in it's test stage and the guidelines will be changed as soon as TPTB find the wording they like? I doubt it's because TPTB like to keep us all guessing though!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Funny, I don't see that here:

Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

For geocaching events that involve several components, such as a full weekend event that includes a geocoin trading session, a seminar and a potluck dinner, multiple event listings may be submitted if they each stand on their own merits as events meeting the listing guidelines.

Event caches should be submitted no less than two weeks prior to the date of the event, so that potential attendees will have sufficient notice to make their plans. Events are generally published no more than three months prior to the date of the event, to avoid having the listing appear for a prolonged period of time on the nearest caches page and in the weekly e-mail notification of new caches. Exceptions are sometimes made for events that are designed to attract a regional, national or international group of geocachers, or if an overnight stay is expected as part of the event, requiring advance reservations and travel planning (for example, a campout). Contact your reviewer if you wish to set up such an event, which may be published up to six months prior to the event date. Groundspeak can promote Geocaching through events that may be an exception to the guidelines, if we deem that is necessary to further the game.

After the event has passed, the event cache should be archived by the organizer within four weeks.

If there are more guidelines, why are they not listed?

Why all the definitive statements in the forums about "guidelines" with no reference?

Dave_W6DPS

Or selective email answering....

To insist that "selective persecution" exists, shouldn't you at least present a reason why Groundspeak would want to persecute you?

I mean besides getting the forums in a frenzy.....

First, I'd like to apologize for arriving to this thread late. (I haven't even been threatened with a timeout yet).

I certainly understand the tightening of the guidelines for events.

We do our best to press the boundaries whenever possible (sometimes driving on hiking trails...or so I've heard).

However.... mentioning the name of the place you are holding the event twice, doesn't seem to be excessive to me.

I also agree that a quick clarification of that guideline (spelled RULE) would have solved the issue quickly.

I remember back in the beginning (2001), when the volunteer approvers (scapegoats) would simply modify the wording of the cache or event, in order to get it quickly approved.

Nowadays, it seems more convoluted, and complicated... most cachers shy away from even attempting to get an event approved, once it gets denied.

IN conclusion....The cachers in question have created many events (I've been to a few), and should have been treated with more respect.

Edited by ventura_kids

First, I'd like to apologize for arriving to this thread late. (I haven't even been threatened with a timeout yet).

We do our best to press the boundaries whenever possible (sometimes driving on hiking trails...or so I've heard).

However.... mentioning the name of the place you are holding the event twice, doesn't seem to be excessive to me.

I also agree that a quick clarification of that guideline (spelled RULE) would have solved the issue quickly.

I remember back in the beginning (2001), when the volunteer approvers (scapegoats) would simply modify the wording of the cache or event, in order to get it quickly approved.

Nowadays, it seems more convoluted, and complicated... most cachers shy away from even attempting to get an event approved, once it gets denied.

IN conclusion....The cachers in question have created many events (I've been to a few), and should have been treated with more respect.

I think that people should be treated with the same amount of respect whether they are working on their first event submission or their hundredth. Just because someone has submitted several previously doesn't mean that they should be catered to.

Edited by sbell111

I think that people should be treated with the same amount of respect whether they are working on their first event submission or their hundredth. Just because someone has submitted several previously doesn't mean that they should be catered to.

I can't believe it...I agree with sbell AGAIN!! If anything, the OP should have better known how the reviewer likes to handle any questions or requests for changes (unless they've been darned good with their listings up until now). :ph34r:

most cachers shy away from even attempting to get an event approved, once it gets denied.

I'd love to see the actual data supporting this claim. So far, the only folks I've ever heard of who gave up on their event, (rather than simply following directions after being made aware of a problem), are the ones complaining in here.

...another late bloomer here [donning armor for ridicule and cheap shots], but I've been rather busy and have not had time to really find out why our event caused so much comotion. And to think, all I was trying to do was to provide resources that trip participants could utilize if they were so inclined to learn a little about the history of the area in which we would be traveling (we were "in area" of significant events of the 1849 crossing of Death Valley by the first "white man" enroute to the 1849 California Gold Rush) as well as provide resources to learn about the natural beauty of this area... afterall, it IS wildflower season in DV and one of the "links" provides a "thermometer" of wildflower blooms in several California deserts.

Our itinerary and my list of resources published on our trip page was then placed on the event page so potential geocachers would have access to all the information. Who knew, that trying to be helpful, that trying to provide the gift of knowledge would erupt into such controversy. Granted, Ive been living in a cave and didn't know much about the "rules" banning "commercial" links.

From reading the previous posts, it does appear that there is subjective intrepretation of the "guidelines", which isn't necessarily a bad thing. When denying a cache page, a general statement identifying the "issues" at hand is helpful, but may not be enough. If I had submitted the event and received the reviewer message, I would have been very confused, as in "what commercial content". Then, all heck breaks loose... and event organizers may get angry, have to send off emails to either reviewer or appeals persons... eventually stealing time from everyone. Would it not be more efficient, in the long run, if the denial message was much more clear as to the denial reason, possibly even with a suggestion as to how to get the event approved?

So, we missed out on one more smiley. Maybe others missed out on a handful of smileys. Navigating dry waterfalls, rock gardens, and water crossings, standing near wild burros, photographing rare wildflowers, touching history, sharing all this with friends.... priceless [ie, smileyless] :laughing: .

but I've been rather busy and have not had time to really find out why our event caused so much comotion

I was going to add a cheap shot about being busy, and figuring that was the reason no was able to contact Groundspeak to clear this up. But that would just be wrong......

...since someone had the time to post about it here.....after the fact.....when nothing can be done.

I imagine that since the sport has grown quite a bit since 2001, there is probably a NEED for things to change since the sepia-toned days of yore. More events, more reviewers, more caches, more cachers...many more things to keep track of. Alarms generally go off in my head when anyone talks about "the way it used to be" when discussing any topic.

If cachers cannot simply clear up a matter to get an event approved IF it is denied, you have to wonder about how driven they really are to put on an event.

I've been rather busy and have not had time to really find out why our event caused so much comotion.

Actually, judging from what has been posted here, your event didn't cause any commotion at all. Just a note from a Reviewer giving instructions on how to get the event published. The commotion came later, when the folks who elected not to follow those directions came in here to whine about the event not being published.

When denying a cache page, a general statement identifying the "issues" at hand is helpful, but may not be enough.

Perhaps. If the folks had followed the directions given to them by the reviewer, I have no doubt that TPTB would have identified precisely what the concern was, and how to fix it. In fact, I think Michael already mentioned this.

If I had submitted the event and received the reviewer message, I would have been very confused, as in "what commercial content".

No worries! You wouldn't be alone, apparently. I do gotta wonder though. If you had been the confused event owner, would you have followed the directions given to you in order to clarify the matter, or would you have ignored it, then waited till after the listed event date to complain about it?

Then, all heck breaks loose...

Kinda dramatic, dont'cha think? A cacher submitted an event. The Reviewer posted instructions on how to get the event published. Not exactly "all heck breaking loose" to me. Or were you referring to the actions of the event lister? If that's the case, then yes, I'd agree they went a little overboard.

have to send off emails to either reviewer or appeals persons...

I think one E-mail, to the address indicated in the Reviewer's note, would've cleared this whole thing up, unless the event lister is the type to argue endlessly with TPTB.

So, we missed out on one more smiley. Maybe others missed out on a handful of smileys. Navigating dry waterfalls, rock gardens, and water crossings, standing near wild burros, photographing rare wildflowers, touching history, sharing all this with friends.... priceless [ie, smileyless] :laughing: .

Yeah. Kinda sad that the event owner would opt to deprive the potential attendees of what sounds like an amazing adventure rather than simply following directions. Looks like a lot of folks missed out because of it. Hopefully they'll learn from this.

I wasn't going to post any more here. A person from this group has already posted that they should have contacted appeals@geocaching. com as stated in the reviewer note. I would have thought that should have finished the thread. Myself and several others who know the individuals involved have tried to point out why there may have been some confusion about the procedure for handling commercial content in light of the unpublished change that even a link to a commercial site on the page is now considered commercial content. Had the guidelines page been updated to reflect this change it would have been clearer to the OP. A note saying please contact appeals@geocaching.com about the commercial content on your web page may seem clear to you, but if, like the OP, you had submitted many caches in the past and always had been able to deal directly with the reviewer to resolve guidelines issues and didn't understand what could be commercial about a link that you had used for previous events, I would hope one can understand the confusion and more so the disappointment when by the time they realized what they were supposed to do it was too close to the event to be approved. This is a group that has always taken great care in the past to make sure their events meet the guidelines. They are now aware of the new interpretation of the guidelines as well as the way commercial caches need to be submitted to Groundspeak for approval. Should they decide to list their next event on Geocaching.com, I am sure it will confirm to the guidelines with links to commercial sites with additional information being hosted on a non-commercial event page on their own site.

Perhaps someone from SoCal 4x4 Geocachers can request this thread be locked before any more of their friends come here and get flamed by the few who are still following this thread.

Edited by tozainamboku

You are still implying it to someone. That is wrong.

It would be like someone posting that some people are too lazy to preview their posts before posting them and then get quotes messed up, which make them very hard to read. While not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, it is still rude to post something like that. Some people might be sensitive about that, so you should be considerate of everyone and choose your words better, even if generalizing.

By the way, the fact that you are exchanging your warning notes is off topic, of course. Please stick to the topic.

You know a site has lost control or "jumped the shark" when the forum moderators themselves start violating their own guidelines, as you have done above, mtn-man.

Anyway, on topic:

The whole problem is that appealing is quite cumbersome. Since the guidelines change often now and in inexplicable, unannounced ways, why not integrate it into the site?

Add a new cache state, after Unpublished, but not Archived: Unapproved.

When a cache is denied, a the reviewer clicks a button: Not Approved.

If the owner wishes to appeal, they simply click 'Appeal this decision'.

The cache is then forwarded to appeals. Appeals could then explain what the guideline was they violated.

Edited by benh57

Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

For geocaching events that involve several components, such as a full weekend event that includes a geocoin trading session, a seminar and a potluck dinner, multiple event listings may be submitted if they each stand on their own merits as events meeting the listing guidelines.

Event caches should be submitted no less than two weeks prior to the date of the event, so that potential attendees will have sufficient notice to make their plans. Events are generally published no more than three months prior to the date of the event, to avoid having the listing appear for a prolonged period of time on the nearest caches page and in the weekly e-mail notification of new caches. Exceptions are sometimes made for events that are designed to attract a regional, national or international group of geocachers, or if an overnight stay is expected as part of the event, requiring advance reservations and travel planning (for example, a campout). Contact your reviewer if you wish to set up such an event, which may be published up to six months prior to the event date. Groundspeak can promote Geocaching through events that may be an exception to the guidelines, if we deem that is necessary to further the game.

After the event has passed, the event cache should be archived by the organizer within four weeks.

Why all the definitive statements in the forums about "guidelines" with no reference?

Dave_W6DPS

They are. Under the section that says "Guidelines that Apply to All Caches" we see:

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services. If the finder is required to go inside the business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, then the cache is presumed to be commercial.

Some exceptions can be made. In these situations, permission can be given by Groundspeak. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first. If you do not have advance permission, your reviewer will refer you to Groundspeak.

Edited by briansnat
If the owner wishes to appeal, they simply click 'Appeal this decision'.

The cache is then forwarded to appeals. Appeals could then explain what the guideline was they violated.

That would have been the case with this one, except the button to click was "Compose Message" and type in appeals@ with a link to the cache page. That's all that had to be done in order to save 4 pages of this. When your reviewer doesn't have the authority to publish something and says appeal it, that's what you do. I've told people to appeal and they have (those that didn't appeal never got their caches listed). I myself have been told to appeal and I did so right away because I wanted the cache listed.

I wasn't going to post any more here. A person from this group has already posted that they should have contacted appeals@geocaching. com as stated in the reviewer note. I would have thought that should have finished the thread. Myself and several others who know the individuals involved have tried to point out why there may have been some confusion about the procedure for handling commercial content in light of the unpublished change that even a link to a commercial site on the page is now considered commercial content. Had the guidelines page been updated to reflect this change it would have been clearer to the OP. A note saying please contact appeals@geocaching.com about the commercial content on your web page may seem clear to you, but if, like the OP, you had submitted many caches in the past and always had been able to deal directly with the reviewer to resolve guidelines issues and didn't understand what could be commercial about a link that you had used for previous events, I would hope one can understand the confusion and more so the disappointment when by the time they realized what they were supposed to do it was too close to the event to be approved. This is a group that has always taken great care in the past to make sure their events meet the guidelines. They are now aware of the new interpretation of the guidelines as well as the way commercial caches need to be submitted to Groundspeak for approval. Should they decide to list their next event on Geocaching.com, I am sure it will confirm to the guidelines with links to commercial sites with additional information being hosted on a non-commercial event page on their own site.

Perhaps someone from SoCal 4x4 Geocachers can request this thread be locked before any more of their friends come here and get flamed by the few who are still following this thread.

Toz, I agree that the guidelines changed and it may be a bit confusing. What is confusing with CONTACT APPEALS@....?

It's crazy, life has a way of changing all around us, it makes life confusing as all get-out...BUT, we all seem to figure out how to work through things and get on with life. How is it that these seasoned caching vets couldn't figure out how to follow directions placed on their page in black and white?? Do they just throw their hands in the air and start frothing at the mouth when going to the license bureau (because they change things all the time...around here at least)...what about tax time?

A note was added with instructions on how to work it out. That was ignored until after it was too late and then the OP came HERE...is that how they worked with their reviewer before??

AND...wow, I also agree with the Clan man!!! Good points all-around!

I just wonder why it's taken...what, 4 pages?? to figure this all out! All things aside, the fault is the OP and whoever else submitted the event and then didn't follow through...blaming the guidelines changes or anything else doesn't take away from the fact that the OP didn't follow directions...period!

Dave_W6DPS

They are. Under the section that says "Guidelines that Apply to All Caches" we see:

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services. If the finder is required to go inside the business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, then the cache is presumed to be commercial.

Some exceptions can be made. In these situations, permission can be given by Groundspeak. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first. If you do not have advance permission, your reviewer will refer you to Groundspeak.

I still don't see anything about an event location being listed once.

I still don't see anything about 'one degree of separation' on links to commercial sites from private webpages linked from the cache page.

I still don't see any changes in the PUBLISHED guidelines.

If the guidelines change, they should change PUBLICLY.

Dave_W6DPS1

Dave_W6DPS

I still don't see anything about an event location being listed once.

I still don't see anything about 'one degree of separation' on links to commercial sites from private webpages linked from the cache page.

I still don't see any changes in the PUBLISHED guidelines.

If the guidelines change, they should change PUBLICLY.

Dave_W6DPS1

This is a public forum and this has been discussed over and over and over and over again, so I would argue that it has been made public.

Let it go. You'll likely feel better.

Edited by sbell111
It would be like someone posting <snipped>

You know a site has lost control or "jumped the shark" when the forum moderators themselves start violating their own guidelines, as you have done above, mtn-man.

Heh. This site is what I would call "medium" regarding moderation. We try to give folks a fair amount of latitude (like the GPS reference there?). One site I post on frequently warns you if you double post for Pete's sake. My post was simply an illustration, hence the word "like", highlighted above. The post just shows how easy it is to point fingers, like you did.

Of course, if you have a problem with me, the way to deal with it is sending an email to the contact address...

;)

Oh, um. Sorry. No buttons for that here either. :rolleyes:;)

This is a public forum and this has been discussed over and over and over and over again, so I would argue that it has been made public.

Let it go. You'll likely feel better.

When you submit a cache for approval, there is a check box that you read the guidelines.

There is no checkbox that says you read every thread in the forums. Most geocachers don't regularly read these forums.

My point is still that all the guidelines should be published together. I don't think you should have to be current on changes discussed in the forums.

And, by the way, I feel just fine. Thanks!

Dave_W6DPS

I am sorry that you are so angry. I posted on page one that the violated guideline is posted on the site.

And as stated by several people, also in the thread, there doesn't appear to be any commercial content. Could you please point it out? I'm not stupid, but I agree with the people who posted indicating they don't see any.

My guess would be the link to a commercial site for one of their spots. The one that features ads along with the content they were highlighting.

Would've been a quick "take out this link and it's ok" or "yeah, go ahead with an exception" conversation, I'd think.

Yes. The www.desertusa.com link is very much a commercial site. They have their own online store and a ton of commercials and links. Pretty easy to see that if you actually follow the link. As Michael pointed out, if they would have contacted the appeals@ email address they probably would have told them to just remove that link and the cache would have been OK. It is too bad they did not send the simple email request, causing the cache to bite the dust.

Groundspeak makes this decision. I would suggest that you write to appeals@geocaching.com for resolution on this issue.

I am sorry that you do not understand the decision regarding commercial caches, but at this time that decision is final. I cannot explain it any further. Please write the site directly at the email address given above. I do sincerely hope that you are able to enjoy the game.

As Toz has pointed out, "A person from this group has already posted that they should have contacted appeals@geocaching. com as stated in the reviewer note.". Sounds like the person who listed the cache is over it. It is probably time for you to take sbell111's advice and let it go too.

As Toz has pointed out, "A person from this group has already posted that they should have contacted appeals@geocaching. com as stated in the reviewer note.". Sounds like the person who listed the cache is over it. It is probably time for you to take sbell111's advice and let it go too.

The issue is whether or not the moderators wish to limit the topic of this thread. If it is about the event in the OP that didn't get published, then yes - this is water under the bridge. The OP knows what to do next time. If the topic is expanded to how should new interpretations of the guidelines be disseminated, then I for one can't understand the reluctance to update the guidelines. (Well I can but I can't say it without getting a warning :rolleyes: ).

Speaking of warnings. This thread has probably gotten a lot of responses from some very level headed southern California geocachers because of the disrespect for the OP. Over and over people have posted that OP is simply whining about his cache because he too stupid to follow the instructions given by the reviewer or maybe too lazy to email appeals right way. Some are carefully worded to avoid getting warnings - I doubt the reviewers/moderators are going to warn each other anyhow. There are lot of people coming here to defend their friends whom they know not to be stupid or lazy. In this case they were confused by a change. An event page that would have easily been approved a few months ago was turned down. Instead of being able to resolve the issue with the reviewer as they had in the past, they were told to contact geocaching.com directly. Perhaps they missed this in the email, but in any case they decided to talk to other reviewers to try to get an explanation of what was different all of a sudden. They got a reply that GC.com was looking at the cache. Probably this was just another miscommunication with the reviewer. So they waited till it was too late to contact appeals. You can point to fine print to show that the reviewers acted with the guidelines. But clearly the fact there was so much confusion should indicate that the system is not working as well as it might. Why not update the guidelines to clarify the new interpretation of what is considered a commercial listing and at the same time clarify the appeals process?

It is black and white. Others are inserting the "gray area" and the "conspiracy" part.

Commercial links are not allowed on cache pages without permission from Groundspeak. That is the issue. It is in the guidelines. It has been for quite some time. That is the problem with the cache, which was the issue in the original post. Please take the time to read it again...

We wanted our 9th event cache to be held on April 5, 2008. We had 2 members of our group drive 3 hours each way out to the location to get exact coordinates for the campsite. Once the coordinates were verified we put the cache into the queue on March 20 a few days ahead of the 2 week minimum required. We called the event Helter Skelter as we would be visiting Barker Ranch earlier in the day. Below is the exact wording submitted for approval.

<partial cache page images removed>

For some unknown reason Krypton deemed our cache to have commercial content. We emailed Kryton to find out why he would not approve the event and to what we had to change to get it approved. We received no response from Krypton.

Marko Ramius, Roadrunner and Nomex all viewed the event page description and did not see any commercial content.

We are upset at the complete breakdown in communication of Krypton and would like an answer to what exactly he assumed was commercial content. We expect accountability.

I've answered the original poster's question three times now. There is no new interpretation as it relates to the review and publishing of this cache page. The moderators are answering the question posed by the original post. I am sorry if it upsets you, but we are trying to stay on topic. The broader issues that you and others are using to derail the topic do not relate to the cache page in question.

If the original poster wants "accountability" with respect to a breakdown in communications with Krypton, then they must write to Groundspeak directly. This will not be discussed in a forum topic by Groundspeak.

I am sorry, but I just don't see how I can be any clearer. Any side issues do not relate to the original post or the cache in question.

It is black and white. Others are inserting the "gray area" and the "conspiracy" part.

Commercial links are not allowed on cache pages without permission from Groundspeak. That is the issue. It is in the guidelines. It has been for quite some time. That is the problem with the cache, which was the issue in the original post. Please take the time to read it again...

We wanted our 9th event cache to be held on April 5, 2008. We had 2 members of our group drive 3 hours each way out to the location to get exact coordinates for the campsite. Once the coordinates were verified we put the cache into the queue on March 20 a few days ahead of the 2 week minimum required. We called the event Helter Skelter as we would be visiting Barker Ranch earlier in the day. Below is the exact wording submitted for approval.

<partial cache page images removed>

For some unknown reason Krypton deemed our cache to have commercial content. We emailed Kryton to find out why he would not approve the event and to what we had to change to get it approved. We received no response from Krypton.

Marko Ramius, Roadrunner and Nomex all viewed the event page description and did not see any commercial content.

We are upset at the complete breakdown in communication of Krypton and would like an answer to what exactly he assumed was commercial content. We expect accountability.

I've answered the original poster's question three times now. There is no new interpretation as it relates to the review and publishing of this cache page. The moderators are answering the question posed by the original post. I am sorry if it upsets you, but we are trying to stay on topic. The broader issues that you and others are using to derail the topic do not relate to the cache page in question.

If the original poster wants "accountability" with respect to a breakdown in communications with Krypton, then they must write to Groundspeak directly. This will not be discussed in a forum topic by Groundspeak.

I am sorry, but I just don't see how I can be any clearer. Any side issues do not relate to the original post or the cache in question.

I've been wondering why this topic is still open, I'm sure all the answers that will be given have already been given.