North Up vs. Track up

CacheMiner72

So I am still fairly new to my GPS and geocaching. As the topic is listed I am looking for the difference between these options. I remember reading somewhere that North Up is the way to go but I'm wondering why and what the difference is? I own a Legend HCx if it matters. Asking here instead of on Garmins site because this site has people with the best info I have ever gotten for my GPS questions. Thanks.

I use North up on my handheld and track up on the car nav. Our caching partners, however, use track up on both. They can't understand why I don't on the handheld.

I do get twisted around at times when we head south while I'm navigating..."Turn left, turn left! Oops, make that a right...dang, now you're in the wrong lane."

So I am still fairly new to my GPS and geocaching. As the topic is listed I am looking for the difference between these options. I remember reading somewhere that North Up is the way to go but I'm wondering why and what the difference is? I own a Legend HCx if it matters. Asking here instead of on Garmins site because this site has people with the best info I have ever gotten for my GPS questions. Thanks.

I use North up when I am trying to locat an area on the GPS such as a city. I use track when I am navigating to a cache or POI.

I use North up on my handheld and track up on the car nav. Our caching partners, however, use track up on both. They can't understand why I don't on the handheld.

I do get twisted around at times when we head south while I'm navigating..."Turn left, turn left! Oops, make that a right...dang, now you're in the wrong lane."

..."Turn left, turn left! Oops, make that a right...dang, now you're in the wrong lane."

Try Track up, that should solve the problem :laughing:

..."Turn left, turn left! Oops, make that a right...dang, now you're in the wrong lane."

I've always used track up. I was taught to always hold a map the direction you're travelling, not the direction of north. It just seems more natural to compare map features to those on the ground. Now when you stop somewhere to plan... it might be easier to have north up. Or - just walk a few yards north, stop, and get your bearings.

Its all personal preference though.

I use track up since when I'm driving I'm using one kind of map on the GPS and track up works better for driving. When I'm hiking I'm using another pointer where it really doesn't matter that I'm still Track up, but if I did have to use the map that I was using in the car North Up would be what I'd do IF it were easy to switch. If not easy I'd just live with Track Up.

Paper maps are always north up.

Exactly. :laughing:;):P

Try Track up, that should solve the problem :)

Exactly. :):D<_<

I know that!! I should have put a smiley face :P to show I was kidding. I do prefer north up on the handheld; but occasionally I slip up. I can live with that.

I started out using North Up since that is the way I always read paper maps. I switched to Track Up when driving because that worked better for my wife who is directionally-challenged. I have since come to always use Track Up now and I like it a lot better.

Interesting replies.

I've always lived in a "map" world, so north up works great for me, as it's how I view the world.

It occurred to me that someone who has grown up in a "first person game" world may do much better with track up, as it's a viewpoint they're used to seeing.

One thing that was pointed out to me when I first tried track up...the GPS is redrawing the map every time you turn, which will eat through the batteries, and slow down the processing ability(decreasing accuracy?)

It takes a lot of power to track all those sats and redraw the map at the same time. the same is true if you have the map set for more detail, and zoomed at a level with lots of things to draw.