We need a sign

beezerb

We own a little strip of land just big enough for three caches. There is a driveway (kind of rough) and a nice little parking area. We need to put up a sign that will deter all visitors except geocachers. We need to avoid using the word logging because there is some nice timber on the property and many Loggers in the area that will start bugging us if they think anyone is going to start logging (as in cutting down trees).

Any suggestions?

We own a little strip of land just big enough for three caches. There is a driveway (kind of rough) and a nice little parking area. We need to put up a sign that will deter all visitors except geocachers. We need to avoid using the word logging because there is some nice timber on the property and many Loggers in the area that will start bugging us if they think anyone is going to start logging (as in cutting down trees).

Any suggestions?

NO MUGGLES

On the backside of a "No Trespassing" sign you could say "Geocachers Welcome". Then tell the geocachers on the web page to look at the back of the sign, if that would make them feel more at ease. I myself would feel uneasy unless I actually saw something at the site that I knew was meant for me to read. It'd be my luck, I would have accidentally entered the coord wrong and would actually be in a place where I was not welcome.

If somebody has only the coordinate and no other info, too bad.

You can simply put up a very distinctive "No Trespassing" sign; a bright neon color, maybe. Describe it on the listings for the geocaches, so cachers will know they're in the right place, and let them know they are welcome.

Well spoke - and I agree with Viajero Perdido's concept as well. Perhaps it could be combined:

102abc7a-6c01-40dd-84cf-ea71b245ff92.jpg

Have a little fun with the Geospatial Information System theme on the cache listing -

maybe even name the caches G.I.S. xxx...

As a former land manager in the 'central highlands' of lower Michigan, I completely understand

your angst over local loggers*. I'd avoid any mention of 'logging' a cache on a sign out there!

(or you could have a reprise of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre!)

*do not misconstrue this as an anti-logger remark - it's about folks who want to buy resources

you own or manage but don't want to sell (or even discuss selling...).

Any suggestions?

NO MUGGLES

I like that one!

Geocachers Welcome

All others will be Cached & Stashed

I love that sign :laughing:

Can I please use it

102abc7a-6c01-40dd-84cf-ea71b245ff92.jpg

As for keeping unwanted people out, A friend of mine has his land posted "Trespassing with owner permission only"

It works quite well for the most part. And if you ask around, the locals will tell you how to contact him. He will almost always say yes and tell you if he doesn't want you to go into a certain area

If people are crossing into property with no trespassing signs posted, the cops are likely to be called by concerned neighbors. I would look for an alternative instead.

I don't think that's very likely to happen at all, but it bears thinking about, at least.

As a workaround, on the description page you may think about giving your name, address, and phone number so that in case anyone is approached by police they can explain what's going on, and give the landowner's information so the police can follow up if they want.

Since the OP was talking about logging nearby, I assumed it was basically undeveloped land, in which case the chances of anyone saying anything are basically nil.

Sorry to post and run. We are having problems with our connection. Thanks for all of your suggestions. Much better than anything we came up with. We do have a cache hidden in an area with a regular no trespassing sign with an official geocache sticker attached, just wanted to make this one special. This is a little peice of land set off by itself and we wanted to make it special. Kind of a little geocache park. Most of it is too rough for anything else. Part of an old manganese mining area. Mostly mining cuts taken back by nature 60 years ago.

It does set right on a county road with easy access. Local loggers start asking questions if they see anyone parked there.

Edited by beezerb
Local loggers start asking questions if they see anyone parked there.

I'm not clear on the logging connection here. First, if you own the property I don't see why loggers would bother. Second, if this is a small strip of land they wouldn't want to waist there time on it. Third, if this is your land, and it's too small to log, why would a logger stop and ask questions if a car was parked there?

Be careful where you place a cache, if it is on privet commercial timber land, you can count on loggers being very concerned about trespassing.

Local loggers start asking questions if they see anyone parked there.

I'm not clear on the logging connection here. First, if you own the property I don't see why loggers would bother. Second, if this is a small strip of land they wouldn't want to waist there time on it. Third, if this is your land, and it's too small to log, why would a logger stop and ask questions if a car was parked there?

Be careful where you place a cache, if it is on privet commercial timber land, you can count on loggers being very concerned about trespassing.

No it's our land, 12 acres more or less, with some huge oak and cedar trees. We live in a small town. There are a couple of old logging families in town that don't like to see anyone from “the outside” get the jump on them. Any time one of them sees any activity on this little piece of land they will start waylaying me (Mrs. Beezer) and asking questions. I don't know what part of “it's not for sale” they don't understand. And I guess a mysteries sign will not stop them from doing this but I can tell them it's not for sale, the people you see there have special permission to be doing what they are doing. :ph34r:

There is really more to the story but it doesn't have anything to do with geocaching and as much as I would like to witch about it here I will restrain myself. It's just one of those small town things.

We live in a small town. There are a couple of old logging families in town that don't like to see anyone from “the outside” get the jump on them. Any time one of them sees any activity on this little piece of land they will start waylaying me (Mrs. Beezer) and asking questions. I don't know what part of “it's not for sale” they don't understand. And I guess a mysteries sign will not stop them from doing this but I can tell them it's not for sale, the people you see there have special permission to be doing what they are doing. :(
Don't stop at saying they "have special permission to be doing what they are doing." Tell them exactly what they are doing: Geocaching!

Simply stating they have permission will look like you are evading them. If they know exactly what is going on, they won't have to worry.

Not that it is actually any of their business.

But, like you said, it is a small town. People in my small town think everything is their business... :ph34r:

You could make it a two-sided sign. On one side it says the typical POSTED or NO TRESPASSING. Add "AUTHORIZED PERSONS ONLY" On the back put something to the effect "Authorized persons include geocachers only." Modify it to your heart's content. There's nothing out of the ordinary on the front. In fact, you can probably pick one up cheap at your local big-box home improvement store. On the back put the qualifiers in case LEO or nosy neighbors start butting in.

If you want you can add a note in the cache description and those geocachers that are hesitant to go beyond posted signs regardless of what is in the description, like myself, can check the back of the sign.

Hope this helps.