How do you find your way round the Isle of Man?

dogastus

That should provoke some jokers I'm sure!

The reason for the question is that I was surprised that my TomTom 5 maps didn't include the Isle of Man. I emailed TomTom as I assumed that a newer version with updated maps would be required. I was even more surprised that they said they don't do the Isle of Man!

OK, I thought I'd try Garmin so checked on their website for Mapsource coverage. Again a surprise - they don't do the Isle of Man either!

So, are old-fashioned paper maps the only way to navigate around the roads of the Isle of Man?

So, are old-fashioned paper maps the only way to navigate around the roads of the Isle of Man?

I use a Garmin Nuvi for IOM navigation (as well as for the rest of the world!) and can assure you that it does have fully-detailed IOM mapping. Also, my Etrex has full mapping (with road routing) of the IOM: not surprising, because it uses the same maps (Navteq based rather than the TeleAtlas that Tom Tom use): this is definitely included in Mapsource. On top of that, I have Memory Map OS Maps which also include the island. So we're not quite the technological backwater you might think.

Plus, we probably have the best mobile phone system in Britain, and there is free public wi-fi available in several places.

I have no idea why TeleAtlas don't go for total British coverage - it's always been a mystery.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

If you want to borrow an Ordnance survey map drop us an email and we will post it to you (or drop it in a cache like the iron mountain tb hotel for you ;)

If Dogastus isn't borrowing your map of IOM could we borrow it? We'll be going there at the beginning of March. Thanks! :D

Lisa

Thanks for the offer of the map, markandlynn. I'm not going till June, so go ahead Lisa.

Thank you for the info, Happy Humphrey. I was basing my comments on Mapsource Topo maps, but see they do have IOM on their Metroguide; in fact I have it here at home ;) . Am I right in assuming that they don't do Topo? It doesn't seem to be on my version here, anyway.

I find it amazing that TomTom doesn't do IOM when they do the rest of Europe!

Edited by dogastus

I went over last year, and basically know my way around. I did have fun trying to find caches with only tomtom for company. I could see them but had no idea of scale as all I had on tomtom was the land and the sea, no roads or towns, ;) and caches everywhere. :D I used yahoo maps and plotted the caches I though I would be able to get to after work each evening, and found eighteen of them, had to give up on one I think it was called St Trinians? near a haunted church on the way back into Doulgas as it was pitch black and all I had was the light of Tomtom to find it as I forgot to take a torch. Some great caches over there, and fantastic views (on a clear day.)

Have fun I did :D

Cheapest way over I have found is to get my company to pay for me ;);):D

Talking of the IOM.

What is the cheapest way of getting across there?

£30 return (all charges included) is possible, flying from Blackpool (Manx2.com). If that's not convenient, look on the airport page for a summary of flights (IOM Airport).

The obvious problem with flying here is that you'll have to hire a car: there are plenty of buses and trains on the island, although it will limit the caching quite a bit if you're having to use public transport. If you want to bring a car across it will be via the Steam Packet: fares vary a lot and you might find a cheaper one if you're prepared to cross at less popular times (weekdays and overnight for instance).

It can seem expensive, but bear in mind that it's more than 80 miles from Liverpool: so much further than a cross-channel ferry.

Crime is very low so you can forget having to hide your SatNav: and leave the KrookLok behind or else everyone will realise you're tourists. ;)

If you need any general information or help, use IOM Tourism: they even have a geocaching link! You might also like to get in touch with the only person who's been to all of the current caches on the island...all 140 of them! ;)

If you want to borrow an Ordnance survey map drop us an email and we will post it to you (or drop it in a cache like the iron mountain tb hotel for you :D

If Dogastus isn't borrowing your map of IOM could we borrow it? We'll be going there at the beginning of March. Thanks! :D

Lisa

No problem drop me a line, ill attach a coin tracking number from my collection to it and put it in a spare map bag i have it can then be passed from cacher to cacher until we go back.

]the only person who's been to all of the current caches on the island ...all 140 of them! :)

There appears to be 142 currently listed in the IOM - and rumor has it there is another cache hidden somewhere on the Island, but actually listed in the UK :huh:

I can confirm there is a cache on the island you can only find by exchanging or finding information in the UK.

]the only person who's been to all of the current caches on the island ...all 140 of them! :)

There appears to be 142 currently listed in the IOM - and rumor has it there is another cache hidden somewhere on the Island, but actually listed in the UK :o

Yes there is another one on the island.. I may venture there to get it as well... But heck we cannot tell that would give the game away :unsure::unsure::lol:

There appears to be 142 currently listed in the IOM - and rumor has it there is another cache hidden somewhere on the Island, but actually listed in the UK :)

Yes there is another one on the island.. I may venture there to get it as well... But heck we cannot tell that would give the game away :unsure::unsure::lol:

Obviously not the one i own any chance of a PM with the details :):P:o

We will be coming over to visit our daughter on the IOM at the end of May and will be using our Garmin Quest to help us find our way around the Island. Hoping to bump into a cacher or two while we are there.

Get in touch before you arrive! :unsure: Unfortunately, I'll be in Canada at that time but I'll help you with a selection of caches. You'll certainly get to see plenty of motorbikes then... :unsure:

It seems a shame to hire a car on the Isle of Man. There is a fantastic array of transport options including a Victorian railway, Steam trains, mountain railway, horse drawn trams- all of which work pretty efficiently and are not just a tourist side-show (they may be less good in winter though- I don't know). You can get unlimited use of them for £40 a week. I was very pleasantly surprised with how nice the Isle of Man was when I went and the opportunities for walking- perhaps this is why I did badly when I played the British Chess Championships there :) Still there again, good job I hadn't discovered caching at the time- I'm sure I would have finished last if that was the case :D

Or if Custy is unavailable, look me up.

I have a few 25000 maps and 50,000 maps knocking about (including a waterproof one), and although I'm relatively new to geocaching, I know my way about......

If you get lost, you may meet me anyway as I'm in the IoM Mountain Rescue team!

Happy caching

W

That should provoke some jokers I'm sure!

Rather a sensible thread! When I first saw this I couldn't help but think "just keep the sea on your right!" (or left, if you want to go the other way around!)

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know so you aren't entirely disappointed!! :ph34r:

If you want to borrow an Ordnance survey map drop us an email and we will post it to you (or drop it in a cache like the iron mountain tb hotel for you :D

Lisa

Hi its in the post to you.

Attached to the map is this coin i think its mission is clear :D hope you enjoy your stay. ;):D:lol::D

OpenStreetMap has a very detailed coverage (almost 100% of roads) for the Isle of Man.

http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=54.216&l...amp;layers=B0FT

I believe that attempts are being made to get these maps onto Garmin GPS units for free. They generally can get up to Ordnance Survey quality at a very reasonable price (£0).

Not sure about the IOM, but just been looking at these open source maps and the data for the area I live is at least 15 years out of date, as many new developments from around 15 years ago, appear to be missing.

OpenStreetMap has a very detailed coverage (almost 100% of roads) for the Isle of Man.

http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=54.216&l...amp;layers=B0FT

I believe that attempts are being made to get these maps onto Garmin GPS units for free. They generally can get up to Ordnance Survey quality at a very reasonable price (£0).

Not sure about the IOM, but just been looking at these open source maps and the data for the area I live is at least 15 years out of date, as many new developments from around 15 years ago, appear to be missing.

They aren't 15 years out of date since a) the project wasn't around then, :D no data for the uk has been mass-imported and c) only the main roads are likely to be mapped in large parts of the uk.

The Isle Of Man data was provided by the government there, so is fairly correct.

Likewise, Central London and the Isle of Wight, and other places with active contributors (or which have been targeted by mapping parties) have a high map accuracy eg: near myself.

Edited by Edgemaster

It's such a pity that the process of converting tracklogs to data that can be submitted is so tortuous. I don't think anyone that knows me would regard me as anything other than pretty tech-savvy, but the documentation scared the hell out of me when I looked at it! I can't help thinking that the addition of more user-friendly tools would result in much better coverage.

If you want to borrow an Ordnance survey map drop us an email and we will post it to you (or drop it in a cache like the iron mountain tb hotel for you :lol:

Lisa

Hi its in the post to you.

Attached to the map is this coin i think its mission is clear :D hope you enjoy your stay. :D:D:o:D

Got it today - thanks! :D

Dogastus - if you see this can you send me your address so I can pass the map on to you when we get back?

Lisa

It's such a pity that the process of converting tracklogs to data that can be submitted is so tortuous. I don't think anyone that knows me would regard me as anything other than pretty tech-savvy, but the documentation scared the hell out of me when I looked at it! I can't help thinking that the addition of more user-friendly tools would result in much better coverage.

Generally their wiki talks about things in a technical way. Essentially, all that's needed is a gpx file containing gps tracklogs. I usually use gpsbabelgui for windows (if you're on *nix, you should know how to use command line tools)

Although, gps tracklogs are not absolutely required if there's useful yahoo aerial imagery of your area, then it is permissible to use that.