Piratemania 2008

PopUpPirate

It's not compulsory to dress as a pirate but if you do - EXTRA DUBLOONS!!

We are running a medical scheme to raise awareness of SCURVY on camp - we will have a lemon cut in two on site, and the LAST person to lick it before 8pm on Saturday will get extra dubloons, too!

Anyone mentioning the Mega Event will be keelhauled!

First caching team to find X MARKS THE SPOT - loads of dubloons!

On arrival you will be allocated a PIRATE TEAM - chuck all dubloons into your teams pot, and the winning team at the end of the event will be crowned champions of PIRATEMANIA 2008!!!

Are you ready for the STAY IN YOUR TENTS PUB QUIZ????? :D:D:D:D

Not sure whether to be excited or nervous...does anyone know what number OS map I have to get?

Pindale Farm is just on the Southern edge of OL1 so if you're planning on going further afield you'll also need OL24.

HTH!

As HazelS knows, I always cache with OS maps (she thinks I'm weird) and the cheapest place I can found the active maps (the laminate ones which are water proof, fold any-which way proof, sit on for a butty but keep your bum dry proof, push the nettles out of the way proof, straddle the barbed wire fence proof and indeed you can write on with permanent pen and just use an alcohol based cleaner to remove your markings) is from tesco books for Dark Peak and White Peak

If you order two maps (which will come to about £18), I was able to get Free Delivery by entering 'freedelivery' (without the quotes) in the coupon codes box. Officially it says the offer runs until the end of June. But a quick Google is telling me that the offer still stands... seems maybe the website hamsters have not yet caught up with what the Director of Finance wants them to do... :D

The normal paper maps are £6.00 each. Bargain!

I had a rummage in an old box I found at the weekend...

You know the type of box - the type that although you moved house 2 and a bit years ago you still haven't unpacked....

I found Dark Peak and White Peak OS Maps in there!!! Wooohooooo!!!

(I'll still get lost though!)

The Dark Peak map will cover the 2 cache series, both of which can be easily walked from camp, though you may as well park in the centre of Hope. You can park a couple of hundred yards up the road beteen Hope and Edale, which will place you bang in the middle of the figure of eight.

:D

My landlubber shackles are being hacked off on Thursday afternoon, so I'm tempted to set sail then and make port on Thursday night.........

p.s My Mum's been researching our family tree, and apparently my granny was a bit of a pirate - specializing in selling on small upper body parts. She used to get a buck an ear........

p.p.s. a buck-an-ear - geddit??? lol

p.p.p.s. OK - still not as funny as Mr Whippy......

Will the caches be published before the event (for download and upload to MM) or collected at the event?

We cant get there until Saturday morning(trapped in Kent until late on Friday evening) but will aim to get there for 10 ish. We only have 2 small tents so hopefully we will be able to squeeze in somewhere.

Very excited about coming to this event - finally bought a tent yesterday - Vango Yukon800 - and a few other bits today - not sure it is all going to fit in the car so perhaps the 4 girls will have to be tied to the roof!

Hope to get some piratey outfits sorted before we come up on Thursday.

Can't wait to see you all.

Laughalot & Pumpkin Kidz

:rolleyes:

Saturday night - Barbie if you like, but be warned -

CHINESE PIRATES WILL BE ON CAMP!

(aka - huge takeaway delivery) :unsure:

£ 5.60

Chicken / Beef / Char Siu Pork Dishes, with :

Green Pepper & Black Bean

Seasonal Vegetables

Satay

Bamboo & Water Chestnut

Szechuan

Pineapple

Ginger & Spring Onion

Mushrooms

Cantonese Sauce

Brocolli in Oyster Sauce

OK Sauce

Shredded with Chilli Sauce

Sweet and Sour (Batter)

Sweet and Sout (Cantonese)

Curry

Foo Yung

Chow Mein

Vermicelli

Thai Curry

Rice is extra :

Boiled Rice £ 1.70

Egg Fried Rice £ 1.90

Crispy Duck + Hoi Sin : ¼ £7.50 / ½ £14.00

Ribs - Barbecue / Peking / Orange / Salt & Pepper / Szechuan £ 5.00

Payment MUST be received in FULL by 1pm Saturday. An order sheet will be on camp.

There's no FREE cashpoint in Hope so please bear this in mind.

We have people already on camp! Beware the midges apparently, we're in for a SCORCHER ;):D:D Stark contrast to last years Snowdonia meet!

Please bring cash aplenty cos the nearby cash points charge you (Post Office does free cashback providing you spend a fiver).

The event condensed - to save any trawling through my logs :D

Stuff going on, on Saturday

9.30 am New Caches

1pm Last orders for Chineses food

Evening

7pm Chinese Takeaway

Fancy dress (optional)

Party games to win dubloons

Prize ceremony

Sunday

Day Event

Monday

The Calm After The Storm

Bunkhouse peeps don't forget your deposit and sleeping bags / pillows etc.

A friend has recently returned from Cyprus and recommends Boots Repel Extra Strength Insect Repellent Lotion £5.99 (grey spray can) ;) Avon do something good as well but probably a bit short notice to get that.

After being repeatedly bitten last year in Devon, even though I was covered head to toe in DEET insect repellent, I spoke at length today to our local chemist...

She said that DEET is only effective against Mozzies, and unless you are near stagnant water, iin this country, t'll be gnats that're biting, and they actually LIKE deet!!!

She suggested Jungle Formula but ONLY the lotion - the spray doesn't have the same formula... it cost me £6 and I'll see how I go with that!!! Oh, and she said NOT to wear perfume. Perfume is part of who I am, so I'll find it a wee bit odd not wearing it!

I feel like some kind of experiment - I try something different each year and I've not found ANYTHING that works...

A friend has recently returned from Cyprus and recommends Boots Repel Extra Strength Insect Repellent Lotion £5.99 (grey spray can) ;) Avon do something good as well but probably a bit short notice to get that.

For ages now we have used a Scottish product = SHOO

very very little needed on , totally no smell or oily feel ..

and ...... MIDGES HATE IT !!!!

There used to be a 'diluted' spray-on product with the same ingredient called BUG-OFF , but not seen it for years ...

Hope that helps

From what I remember the basic rules of mozzie evasion are the same as midge evasion.

No perfume / aftershave - they like the strong smells.

Darker clothing - just you look less attractive!

Wear long clothes - less bare skin to be gnoshed upon

People also say plenty of one of the vitamin B (can't remember which one) but I do recall that the active vitamin B (which ever one it is ) is in one product particularly. Marmite! Blurrrghggh!!! That's correct - I don't like Marmite! :D

Biting insects also tend to not favour the smell of garlic and alcohol. So Italian meals all round with bottles of chianti then! :D With side portions of Marmite on toast. Mmmmmm. ;)

From what I remember the basic rules of mozzie evasion are the same as midge evasion.

No perfume / aftershave - they like the strong smells.

Darker clothing - just you look less attractive!

Wear long clothes - less bare skin to be gnoshed upon

People also say plenty of one of the vitamin B (can't remember which one) but I do recall that the active vitamin B (which ever one it is ) is in one product particularly. Marmite! Blurrrghggh!!! That's correct - I don't like Marmite! :D

Biting insects also tend to not favour the smell of garlic and alcohol. So Italian meals all round with bottles of chianti then! :D With side portions of Marmite on toast. Mmmmmm. ;)

But I forgot to add that i do all this and I still get gnoshed - not as bad - but still gnoshed. So I still need my insect repellent. Why did Noah take midges onto the Ark? :D

At the risk of incurring the Cap'ns wrath before we even arrive, can we just put in a plug for this Pirating Wherigo cache in Manchester. It's been out just over a week and we're the FTF today. It's a really good example of a Wherigo, so it deserves more traffic. Anyone travelling to/from the event in that direction might want to take it on.

The Treasure of the Ancoats Pirates

Avast etc.

Oh WOW, what an amazing event PuP!! Never seen so many Pirates, Piratesses and whipper snapper pirates in one place before. Brilliant organisation, great chinese, international guests, plenty of comedy moments, sweltering weather, apparently great cache series set ( :D ) daft games and many odd socks left behind!!! :D:D:D

Well done from us, well worth the long drive up, roll on Piratemania 2009!

Me pirate ship and me pirate crew has reached harbour in good time with a fair wind following, arrrrr! Flippin' brilliant few days - definitely the best event (yes including me own Cap'n) I ever been to (our team's 70th!). Really going to have to work hard to make gFAB as good as this one - wonder whether the sun will be as much in evidence as it was at Piratemania. Well done Mark, you played a blinder - I am exhausted!! :P:o:D Will take ages to write me ship's log cos so much I must not forget! Must depart now and batten down the hatches for the storms which are about to hit me home harbour :ph34r:

I'd like to second (3rd - 4th... whatever) all the praise for a fantastic weekend!

I had to keep asking myself what made it ok to wonder around the valley dressed as a pirate this weekend when on any other I wouldn't even think about it! Well, the answer is safety in numbers and with so many great people all out enjoying the event how could anyone feel silly!

Thanks again to PuP & Liane for all your hard work over the weekend! See you again next year!

Up the Reds!!

Thanks LOADS for the logs it's been overwhelming to be honest, nearly every log on the circular walk is a separate detailed account, and its made it all worthwhile. Thanks for turning up and finding the series, I'll let this thread slide away now and in the early new year I'll start planning for PIRATEMANIA 2009, probably somewhere in the belt south of Preston and North of Oxford... we will have a bigger camp next time, that won't get booked up, got a few places in mind already :(:(:(:)

A fantastic time had by all 5 of us - the Pumpkin Kidz were hardly to be seen as they were playing with their fellow geobuddies - great location, great event and great people.

Well done PUP and Liane for making this fab.

Really looking forward to the 2009 event - so book me down wherever it is :anitongue:

Laughalot ;)