While we're on the subject of Garmin

On the contrary, I've not noticed this problem. In fact this past Saturday, my "battery bar" got to one and shortly thereafter, beeped with a message that batterys were low or critical or somesuch - I continued to use it for at least another 1 1/2 hours and have even turned it one breifly a few times since to manage some waypoints. I've been very happy with the battery life

Edited by bleaming

On the contrary, I've not noticed this problem. In fact this past Saturday, my "battery bar" got to one and shortly thereafter, beeped with a message that batterys were low or critical or somesuch - I continued to use it for at least another 1 1/2 hours and have even turned it one breifly a few times since to manage some waypoints. I've been very happy with the battery life

Blimey! Do you use the compass or just the map? I find that when the batteries go down to 3/4's the arrow on the compass points in the opposite direction....even if I recalibrate........actually so does the arrow on the map that points the opposite direction too:(

I don't know if it makes that much of a difference, but the fact the option is there I'm assuming it does. There is an option on the setup menu as to whether you have Alkali batteries (normal dispose of them once used batteries), NiMH (high power rechargeable batteries - you should use these, they are ace. Cheap as chips on eBay compared to Argos) or NiCAD (the lower power rechargeable batteries)

My 60CS is on NiMH for my batteries but should I not have enough juice and end up having to buy some somewhere, its usually an option I forget to switch over to alkali. Therefore, I've not noticed any difference in performance - but like I say - if the option is there, I assume it makes a difference.

I get about 18 - 20 hours on a charge for my 60CS. Compass always works fine for me, even when batteries running low.

I have to say that I love my Garmin 60Csx so much better than the 201 :blink:

BUT

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that once the batteries in the 60Csx have gone down to 3/4 level you might as well give up and go home! Because all it's going to do is take you in the wrong direction ;)

Nope!!!

Don't be tight, and buy some decent batteries :D:DB):D

Seriously though, mine has been excellent even with no bars left B)

Wadders

I find that when the batteries go down to 3/4's the arrow on the compass points in the opposite direction....even if I recalibrate........actually so does the arrow on the map that points the opposite direction too:(

Your supposed to hold it with the aerial bit pointing away from you and the buttons at the bottom! :blink:

J

[i'm thinking of upgrading my Map 76S to a 60CSX.

On the subject of batteries ... is it possible to tell the 60CSX what battery type (alkaline/NiMH) you are using, so the battery meter can compensate? Some devices do (etrex??), but not the 76S - a fully charged NiMH will show about 70% used.

Yes indeed, it's in the Setup menu. There was I believe some kind of Revision to this functionality in one the recent firmware upgrades to.

** EDIT ** Just checked, recent firmware change was to drop LITHIUM battery support, Alkaline & NIMh are still selectable. Reason was that the Lithium batteries when freshly charged had too high an output voltage for the 60csx to handle and it would shutdown.

Cheers,

Jon.

Edited by Dakar4x4

I find that when the batteries go down to 3/4's the arrow on the compass points in the opposite direction....even if I recalibrate........actually so does the arrow on the map that points the opposite direction too:(

Your supposed to hold it with the aerial bit pointing away from you and the buttons at the bottom! :blink:

J

That'll be why then ;)

I use Duracel batteries and once it's down to 3/4 I have to change. My 60 must be up the shoot! I'll try using rechargables and see if that makes a difference.

My 60CSx electronic compass often needs to be reset due to "flipping". This seems to happen when I have had it on in the car and then I get out. I have wondered if this was due to the e-m fields that may be generated in or near the car. I use the distance page to get me near to a parking spot but don't use the compass in the car. Whilst travelling in the car, the GPS is usually in a more vertical position in a holder as opposed to using it (with compass) horizontally when out walking.

Up to now, I had never considered that the battery level may be an issue. I will need to keep this in mind and see if there is a correlation between compass "flip" and battery level.

I always try to make sure there's nobody else around as I do the two circles re-calibration exercise. It's bad enough trying to explain to muggles what I am doing with the GPS in the first place!!! :anicute::unsure:

I use Duracell Ultra in my 60CSx and have no problems with battery life (about 15 to 18 hours or so) and it still works fine with one bar showing on the battery display.

My only gripe is that since the last firmware upgrade, it will at times keep telling me to 'Hold Level' when I am walking, and the compass then goes wonky for a few seconds until it decides it is level. I've tried shouting at it 'you are level you stupid gps unit' but it doesn't always work :anicute: Hopefully they'll fix it in the next firmware upgrade.

I always try to make sure there's nobody else around as I do the two circles re-calibration exercise. It's bad enough trying to explain to muggles what I am doing with the GPS in the first place!!! ;):D

That's exactly what I used to do and I had the same fears. :laughing: But.... my top tip. Just spin the unit around rather than you. That way you stay still and not look like you're doing some sort of concentric war dance to the GPS Gods!

Took the advice and went out today with C60 with Ni-cd rechargeable batteries (they were fully charged) after about an hour it was already down to 3/4 power and the compass needle was swinging all over the place!!!!

Put in Duracel batteries and recalibrated (by turning the unit not me :) ) and Bob's your uncle compass is spot on again and lasted the rest of the day! It must be my C60!

I'm not changing her though :anicute: I'll just keep using Duracel :anibad:

Took the advice and went out today with C60 with Ni-cd rechargeable batteries (they were fully charged) after about an hour it was already down to 3/4 power and the compass needle was swinging all over the place!!!!

Put in Duracel batteries and recalibrated (by turning the unit not me :mad: ) and Bob's your uncle compass is spot on again and lasted the rest of the day! It must be my C60!

I'm not changing her though :laughing: I'll just keep using Duracel :mad:

i was just going to say are you sure its not you as im very happy with the battery life on mine never have no problems

Ni-Cd? As in Nickel Cadmium? Not surprised you are having problems. Get yourself some nice Nimh Duracell 2650mah batteries and one of their fast chargers - four AA's charged in an hour and two will last a couple of full days caching!!

J