Response Times, Site Slow Loading

Huntcliff

Is anybody else noticing a significant increase in response times on the Geocaching site since they loaded the new code? I'm wondering if one of the changes they loaded is a cpu hog, or are some of the production machines off line for programmer testing?

If this is already being addressed I am OK With this post being deleted....

How do I edit my typo on the subject line :blink:

Edited by Huntcliff

the site is werry slooooooooooow in Norway to it takes 2-3 miutes for a cachepage to open.

loging a cache is almost hopeles.

just finding a cache on the map is a big challenge it is not always you find a cache you know is there sometimes it is gone.

dont know if it helpes but im running windows xp with servicepack 2 and using internet explorer 7.0

It has sped up again for me. It swould be nice to know if Groundspeak fixed something or if it is volume related, or whatever. It has definitely been slow the last few days and it now seems much better. Hopefully it's permanent.

Oh - and thanks to whoever fixed the subject line

Edited by Huntcliff

It's worse today for me. I've several times received a "Service Unavailable" message. I understand that Mondays are busier with everyone logging their finds from the weekend, but this is much slower than normal.

Edited by MOHarp

Thanks for letting us know, everyone. Some of the slowdown is due to the updates we're making, and some just to the usual Monday slowdown. As usual we're working to make improvements to the response times and performance of the site. We apologize to those of you who've had trouble accessing the site lately.

It's getting VERY slow again. New software must be the culprit, as it was running fine before these new "enhancements". Maybe run some sort of performance analysis on new code before you load it?. New enhancements are worthless if you can't maintain response times. If theres one thing I learned in all my years in IT, it's that impacting response times is one of the worst things you can do when loading new software. It usually means the code has to be fallen back and fixed, and fixed so that it works during high impact times. Very frustrating for the users. Can we please have an update.

Well the good news is the forums run fast as usual, so we can all complain about the slowness of the site with extreme rapidity. While my caches pages are actually loading, it's very slow... I've noticed this for the last week or so. But I guess that's not exactly news to anyone.

Keep in mind that it is Sunday.

1. They have been working on the site for the last few weeks.

2. Lots of people are logging finds today, so it is very busy volume wise.

3. The admins are probably off today. They do take a day or two off during the week like most other folks.

Hopefully they can keep working on it and get things kicking in high gear again soon. By the way, today hasn't been too bad compared to several months ago. You could not even get the site to load half the time back then. I've been on the site all day, and though it has been slow, it has still been moving and I have not had any time-outs.

Edited by mtn-man

Good Evening, The GC.com site has been simply awful today. Hope they get it fixed soon or else give us some explanation for what there problem is.

ftjak

I have started a separate thread suggesting that only Premium Members be allowed to log finds on weekends. That would help improve things a bit for those of us who financially support gc.com

Sorry, but I closed it. We've discussed this via email, but let me post my last note to you here also.

This is a short term issue (hopefully). The site has been running very fast for months. The recent code changes obviously broke something. There have been no issues on Sundays or Mondays for some time. At some point, hopefully soon, things will be back to normal. There will be no need for such a policy or feature for premium members. The whole goal for this upgrade is to make the site stable and fast for everyone for the long term. They are no longer looking for quick fixes and are searching for the long term answers regarding site performance. I would hope you would agree that if this does work as planned, then there would be no need for any such policy to exist.

Believe me, they are more concerned about the site issues than anyone. They would much rather be doing more fun things than working on code. I know you know this has to be true.

I just merged the previous two posts into this existing topic. Both were posted as new topics, but since this is an issue that is ongoing and already has a topic, I merged them into here. Since what I said last week still applies, I will quote it again instead of just retyping it.

Keep in mind that it is Sunday.

1. They have been working on the site for the last few weeks.

2. Lots of people are logging finds today, so it is very busy volume wise.

3. The admins are probably off today. They do take a day or two off during the week like most other folks.

Hopefully they can keep working on it and get things kicking in high gear again soon. By the way, today hasn't been too bad compared to several months ago. You could not even get the site to load half the time back then. I've been on the site all day, and though it has been slow, it has still been moving and I have not had any time-outs.

People are insane.

30 a year if nothing new was delivered would be a bargin! My 30 dollars entitles me to some advanced features. Groundspeak can prioritize and decide where it goes.

If Jeremy wanted to host fidelity.com or something I may be a bit worried :) but what they do and how lean they must operate to do it is amazing.

I don't like the net to be slow but I also know when to whine and when to appreciate what I have.

1. They don't test new code before launching it? No QA, load tests, etc etc ad nauseum?

2. What am I paying for again?

3. They have no throttles? They can not selectively disable parts of the page under heavy load?

4. Why is there not a boatload of servers running this? Don't say cost, lots of free websites have far more traffic and calculations, and we pay a nice fee for this ($11/yr MORE than flickr, and think about the processing power, storage and BW behind that).

5. 60 second+ page load times are untenable.

I will lightly speculate that the code chosen to write the web app is at least partly to blame. It makes GC.com look like an amateur wrote it, and now, even if they have the best sys admins and net admins, they simply cannot keep this hog running properly. I don't mean this as an insult, and I guess you are pretty much stuck with it now, but I bet lots of folks wish they had thought through the architecture more before launch.

I won't even start on security, but I have grave doubts about the sanctity of our personal info, perhaps people should keep this in mind.

Used a POCKET QUERY to circumvent the slow server problem.

I wanted to hit a couple caches after lunch, but the server was so slow I couldn't get anywhere.

Then I thought about running a PQ. I knew the general area I wanted to search, so I created a NEW PQ (100 caches) and got results immediately. Then, I loaded them into GSAK to determine which ones I would actually go for. Finally, I got the PQ to open in Google Maps, printed it, and off I went.

I will lightly speculate that the code chosen to write the web app is at least partly to blame. It makes GC.com look like an amateur wrote it, and now, even if they have the best sys admins and net admins, they simply cannot keep this hog running properly. I don't mean this as an insult, and I guess you are pretty much stuck with it now, but I bet lots of folks wish they had thought through the architecture more before launch.

I would invite you to read the Announcements Forum. They currently do have a consulting group working on retooling the site. Some things are working. Some things are not. This has been ongoing for the last several months. Regarding your comments (which are insulting), Jeremy has said that when he wrote the original code, he never imagined the site would be so big so fast. That is why they checked out several organizations and finally picked one to come in and help figure out how to "keep this hog running properly". So no, we are not stuck with it forever. What you see (or don't see from time to time) is the work in progress. You can't just tell people not to use the site, so you have to live with Sunday slowdowns for a while. Trust me, they are as concerned about it as anyone.

I would invite you to read the Announcements Forum. They currently do have a consulting group working on retooling the site. Some things are working. Some things are not. This has been ongoing for the last several months. You can't just tell people not to use the site, so you have to live with Sunday slowdowns for a while. Trust me, they are as concerned about it as anyone.

I'm with the mods on this one. The hamster does need feeding (UK forums joke) ... but its nothing to get worked up about. The site is slow at the mo ... but it does work. Code and hardware updates are always a little fraught unless you really do run two systems old and new side by side and provided TPTB do read these postings (and they do) , and they do respond (which they do), then I am able to be patient. Anyway its Monday in a few hours and it will all speed up again.

I still think the annual premium subs are virtually nothing, and I dont know how J and TPTB pay the bills - so good on you folks - you're doing well.

PS ..... the job is never finished .....