The Multi Cache

busere

I was thinking about doing a Multi Cache, but I was wondering, how many stages would be to many? I was thinking about a five stage cache that could take people more then a day to complete. But a friend of mine thought it may be a bit much and push people away. Thoughts?

This is the format that I was thinking of using:

1. In the first cache you would find a list of questions that need to be answered to find the coordinates for the next cache in the series, a book would be provided in the cache to look up the answers. Once you get the answerer you write down the coordinates and go to the next cache.

2. Each cache will have a different type of encryption to figure out until you get to the fifth…which is the final cache.

3. I would only list the coordinates to the first cache on the cache page.

Would this be too much, or is a good puzzle like this enjoyable?

I was thinking about doing a Multi Cache, but I was wondering, how many stages would be to many? I was thinking about a five stage cache that could take people more then a day to complete. But a friend of mine thought it may be a bit much and push people away. Thoughts?

1. In the first cache you would find a list of questions that need to be answered to find the coordinates for the next cache in the series, a book would be provided in the cache to look up the answers. Once you get the answerer you write down the coordinates and go to the next cache.

2. Each cache will have a different type of encryption to figure out until you get to the fifth…which is the final cache.

What happens when someone takes the book out of the cache?

How far are people going to have to drive to do this? I have purposely avoided caches that require me to do research to decrypt at each stage (different encryption at each stage) because I lived out of the area and wasn't going to make multiple trips for a many-staged multi. No way.

michelle

I am no good at puzzle caches and so I avoid them. But I do like a good multi.

I have seen multis with up to 15 stages across more than 100 miles.

You friend is right....

Do what you want to do but be prepared to have that cache completed by no more than a handful of cachers each year. Multis have low visitation anyway. Puzzles have low visitation. Combine the 2 and make it a multiday affair and it will be done only rarely.

I was planning on giving instruction that the book is to stay at the cache, to include, writing on the cover of the book, “DO NOT REMOVE FROM CACHE!” Other then that it would be up to me to maintain the cache. As for the driving between caches…that was one of the questions that I need an answer to as well. Is it feasible to drive from location to location? Hence, it could become a multi-day cache. Believe me…this would become an educational experience to most who go after it (Sorry, can’t give away the subject matter, however it would be rated - G).

That should be classified as a mystery cache. Multi caches should not require you go home and do research. Anyhow, I think it's fine as a mystery cache, but give it a higher difficulty rating since it involves what sounds like a lot of work.

I wouldn't do a cache like that. Firstly, if there are any puzzles to solve, I prefer to do them in my own time at home, not out in the wilds with time constraints and the possibility of muggles watching you. Also, you have no idea how difficult it's going to be before starting out, so it might be a wasted journey. As someone else said, what happens when one of the books going missing? Just my personal opinion.

Would this be too much,...

From a personal standpoint, 5 stages is about max that I would consider doing for a multi. Beyond that it would cease to be fun for me. What you have planned sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Is it feasible to drive from location to location?

Sure. A lot of multis require driving between stages.

I wouldn't do a cache like that. Firstly, if there are any puzzles to solve, I prefer to do them in my own time at home, not out in the wilds with time constraints and the possibility of muggles watching you. Also, you have no idea how difficult it's going to be before starting out, so it might be a wasted journey. As someone else said, what happens when one of the books going missing? Just my personal opinion.

I planned on placing the caches in locations out of sight of muggles, like a small forrest or woods. However, as for doing the encriptions, they would be easy...as I'm not the best at figuring out encriptions. I also planned on having all the tools to figure them out placed in each cache. I'd say that they would take no more then 10 minutes to figre out each puzzle. There will also be instructions on what to do if the book (or other key items) come up missing, which would give you the ability to complete the puzzle at home for the next cache.

I think it's fine, but as others have said, be prepared for few cachers. One thing to think of as for placement of the stages: 10 minutes can be a long time to complete a puzzle when out in the field. If there isn't a comfortable place to sit and/or lots of bugs, then what is a fun mystery/multi turns into a day of torture. I wouldn't worry too much about the bugs, hopefully people brought spray. Just make sure there is a nice place for the cacher to sit (a large fallen tree is good, a big boulder is better).

10 minutes can be a long time to complete a puzzle when out in the field.

I estimated the 10 minutes as a "Worst Possible Scenario” time frame. For most, the puzzles would take 5 minutes max. They wouldn’t be complex encryptions. However, having something to sit on would be nice…thanks for the advice.

Edited by busere

I've driven or biked between stages. I think if it involved driving great distances (between towns, or further) I would be far less likely to do it. But in town? Sure.

Like others said, though, you will probably get less traffic. I started one particular multi cache here that involves puzzles at each stage, and distances between each stage. It sounds similar to what you are planning, with each stage having a puzzle that you can complete while around the site, or that you can take home to work on and then return to find the next stage. While I haven't yet completed it, it seems to get found somewhat regularly.

I've driven or biked between stages. I think if it involved driving great distances (between towns, or further) I would be far less likely to do it. But in town? Sure.

Like others said, though, you will probably get less traffic. I started one particular multi cache here that involves puzzles at each stage, and distances between each stage. It sounds similar to what you are planning, with each stage having a puzzle that you can complete while around the site, or that you can take home to work on and then return to find the next stage. While I haven't yet completed it, it seems to get found somewhat regularly.

These would all be in park areas in Virginia Beach...not great distances.

There is a very famous cache here, "Snakes and Ladders" that is a real work of genius. Many people use it as a "milestone" cache and it takes several hours, or even days, to complete.

Difficult, challenging Multi-caches can be very fun. :)

That said, I think your idea is a little over the top . . . :)

It's certainly not required, but I would suggest putting the total number of stages on the description, a good idea of how much driving will be required, and an estimate of how long the entire cache will take to complete. That way, people will know what to expect and can be prepared.

I'm guessing you'll get more finds that way than if you just left it a secret.

There is a very famous cache here, "Snakes and Ladders" that is a real work of genius. Many people use it as a "milestone" cache and it takes several hours, or even days, to complete.

Difficult, challenging Multi-caches can be very fun. :)

That said, I think your idea is a little over the top . . . :)

That is a great one! It has tons of stages but they are all unique and very creative. I have found many multi caches that had more than 5 stages. I did two 16 stage multis in one day. They were both fun! I'm not in it for smilies so having a lot of stages doesn't scare me off. As long as it is entertaining I'll go for it! B)

Okay, thanks to everyones advice, I think I'll place them all in the same park, as it is, the park I have in mind is way big enough to handle this. However, it would be completable with-in 2-3 hours in the same park, unless I make the puzzles a little harder. Which I really don't want to do. I would also like to give a big "THANK YOU!" to everyone for their help. Thanks again,

it depends on the cache, my friend.

i once hunted a cache that had a LOT of stages and it was one of the best ever. some caches grow old before i've done the first stage, even.

i used to have a cache people liked; it had seven or so stages each with a different decryption, all in the same park.

i still have one that gets rave reviews. usually it takes finders several weeks to complete. there are an undisclosed number of stages (more than ten) and it covers an undisclosed number of square miles (more than a hundred).

the hiders are warned that it is long and complex. like a river in my soul

It can be as hard as you want. Check out Tube Torcher II in North Carolina. It usually takes a competent TEAM of cachers two days to complete. It has become a "must-do" cache, and people travel from all over to attempt it. There are even events based around it. :)

If yours is just a hard local cache, not many people will attempt it. If it's a very well-done-but-hard cache with fun locations and good clues, then completion might become a status symbol. Cachers will come from all over just to say they've done it.

If there is no unifying theme, in other words you are placing a 5-stage multi just to be able say you placed a 5-stage multi, then it helps to note the number of stages in the cache descriptions. A good device I've seen used with multi-caches that have 4 or more states is a unifying theme. As an example each cache is placed close to a certain feature that is common throughout a park like statues, a certain type of tree, or overlooks.

I say make it how you like it. Don't be surprised if it doesn't get the traffic of an ammo can cache near a convenient parking spot. There will always be people who get grumpy about puzzles or multis. I happen to enjoy both, but folks who don't like them don't have to do your cache.

As others have said, if you do a very good job on it, it could become a destination unto itself.

I say make it how you like it. Don't be surprised if it doesn't get the traffic of an ammo can cache near a convenient parking spot. There will always be people who get grumpy about puzzles or multis. I happen to enjoy both, but folks who don't like them don't have to do your cache.

As others have said, if you do a very good job on it, it could become a destination unto itself.

Personaly...I'm more of a fan of in the woods multi's rather then in-town micro's. And as for the reason...Sorry, I can't give away the subject...well, not yet.

If you think you are creating a quality experience for your local cachers, plan and hide away. Just be prepared for the fact that it won't get hundreds of hits.

I'll agree with those who have already posted that the more info you provide potential seekers, the more likely it will be sought by those who enjoy this type of experience. Let them develop appropriate expectations of the search.

I have found two multis that took 3 Sundays in a row (they were over an hour from home) that were a great experience.

I found one 10+ stage multi that stopped being fun around stage 8, but I refused to quit on it.

Some tough multis become legendary like Tube Torcher and Snakes and Ladders.

I own an eduactional multi that has only had 38 finds in almost 2 years, but those who have found it have had a good time. One of my traditional hides got 238 hits during the GW5 weekend. :)

I like owning them both, and providing both types of experiences for seekers.

Edited by wimseyguy

Not to discourage you, but I suggest finding a few more caches and hiding a few more before doing something as complicated as this. Start slow and easy and work up to the more difficult hides. I've seen too many newbies try to amaze everyone with their first cache only for it to be a total disaster (bad coordinates, poor location, missing stages, substandard containers, etc).

This is true. A lot of people enjoy unusual or unique caches that are a challenge. That is why we have difficulty and terrain ratings! :)

I have a similar issue. I am not sure how to formulate a plan.

We are trying to place a cache in a abandoned community that many know little about. It once was a small community for workers. It is very historic.

Our point in putting a cache there would be to share the rich history of the past plus it is extremely peaceful and beautiful. I had really considered a multi.

We want people to come and experience the entire area. It is about 1 square mile area. Not very big.

We have about 10 proposed spots. All are far enough apart to be within guidelines. Most will involve driving although about 4 would be along a maintained trail. Most all spots have something there. Like "on the left you will notice remains to the Miller home that was built in 1833."

I am worried that if we make it a large multi that many people will skip it.

We had considered making it several traditionals with clues that need collected for the mystery at the end. I don't really want people to just do half though. It would be like an unfinished story.

We recently published a mystery that IMO is very easy to solve. But yet it has had much less visitors than our others. :)

We wanted to include a map of the area along with a self guided pamphlet (we would print up and supply). To guide people along and share the history. I know some don't read the description pages and some don't want to read a palm while in the field or wouldn't print all that info. I thought this would make it easier for people to follow along.

We are still in the planning stages but i am just not sure what to do?

Any ideas along the lines of what the OP was concerned about?

I would do your Multi in a heart beat. :) That is just the kind of Multi-cache that I really like . . . it was the Puzzle aspect of the OP's Multi that discouraged me. B)

Although fewer people will do your Multi-cache, if it gets on cachers' "Favorite Cache Bookmark List," maybe people traveling through the area will learn about it and then take the time out to do it.

It sounds great to me. Go for it. :)

I would do your Multi in a heart beat. :) That is just the kind of Multi-cache that I really like . . . it was the Puzzle aspect of the OP's Multi that discouraged me. B)

Although fewer people will do your Multi-cache, if it gets on cachers' "Favorite Cache Bookmark List," maybe people traveling through the area will learn about it and then take the time out to do it.

It sounds great to me. Go for it. B)

That's why the OPs multi should be classified as a mystery cache... :)

Not to discourage you, but I suggest finding a few more caches and hiding a few more before doing something as complicated as this. Start slow and easy and work up to the more difficult hides. I've seen too many newbies try to amaze everyone with their first cache only for it to be a total disaster (bad coordinates, poor location, missing stages, substandard containers, etc).

:) Well, I'm not the only one putting this thing together. There are others working on this one, plus, we're only in the planning stages. We're not looking at posting it until we get it absolutely 100% perfecto, which we’re looking at a minimum of six months to a year before it’s published. The others involved have way more experience then me, so don’t think that I’m only relying on my level of geocaching knowledge. It just happened to be my idea, and as much as I’d like to share the subject with you…I can’t. :)

Edited by busere

I like multi-caches that find a way to get smilies for each stage . . . as many stages as you like.

THIS way, you can please those who have little time to complete a long multi-cache and those who have the time to do it all at once - you bring a happy caching experience to all who come AND to yourself as you read the logs. It sometimes becomes a community challenge & competition.

Eventually, locals with little time can work their way through the stages and secure the final location as the reward for the multi-cache completion . . . THAT is fun, too!

Edited by GRANPA ALEX
I like multi-caches that find a way to get smilies for each stage . . . as many stages as you like.

THIS way, you can please those who have little time to complete a long multi-cache and those who have the time to do it all at once - you bring a happy caching experience to all who come AND to yourself as you read the logs. It sometimes becomes a community challenge & competition.

Eventually, locals with little time can work their way through the stages and secure the final location as the reward for the multi-cache completion . . . THAT is fun, too!

This is true. People that are after smileys typically won't do long multis. I actually like not having to log all the waypoints. That is drudgery to me.

In my mind smilie collectors do not stop and enjoy the experience. For our cache i want people to stop and look around. Not to sign skip the info about the area, sign the log, and rush to the next cache.

I also wonder if they perform CITO since they are in a hurry. (I have no facts to support any of this- i just wonder...)

You cant control everyone, i understand. I just want people to enjoy it. I guess some might just enjoy it in a different way than the way i would. :)

It took us several hours to finish "Snake and Ladders," and I only got one "smilie." If a Multi-cache is creative and well executed, or takes me to a neat place where I learn something, one "smilie," plus the memories of the experience, is all I need. B)
I couldn't agree more. I was with the group that was STF on that cache and it took us three days to complete it. Albeit the last day was only a couple of hours. Anyhow, that cache gave everyone a HUGE smiley! I still remember the details of that one. There are some caches I can't remember the next day after I find them. So a memorable cache is worth doing no matter how long it takes. :):)

In my short experiance, I enjoyed Flame of Hope II way more then any other that I've done. And it was only a short Multi Cache. I can't wait to get started on a bigger one. A lot of times, the destination is only half as great as the roads you had to take to get there. Well, except on a US Naval Submarines...we don't use roads. :D

Edited by busere

I'd say do what you'd like and the cachers you are trying to attract will come (maybe not in droves, but they will). I did a similar cache, that has now been disabled (never did get to the final clue), and there were quite a few cachers that enjoyed it. Multiple days, lots of driving, great way to see the countryside outside of your normal area.

Someone mentioned the bug problem if you expect someone to sit for up to 10 minutes figuring out the next stage. A nice gesture would be some insect repellant (Off Skintastic, or some such stuff) included in the cache (with a Do Not Remove! request on it, like your book).

SO, go for it, have fun and others will have fun, too!