Disscusted with magellan

I,m a newbie and wanted to buy a GPS unit that my familly could search with and I could use the maps while

toolin around the back roads on my cycle . Well I bought a Magellan explorist 500 for 199.99 and was told it could do what I needed . Well to make a long story short , rechargable battery and ac adapter 49.99 ,

map another 149.99 , oh yeah if you want to add a map you need to purchase more memory , another 20.00- 30.00 bucks you could put the maps on the excisting memory but its not suggested .

The instructions that came with the unit was basicaly how to turn it on and off .. Maybe its me but this unit is very confussing to use unless its plugged into my computer and using the suplied software . map send software is basically a way of sending you to there website to purchase all of the above..

On the upside the geocaching software is very nice and also gives this websight a plug .

Isn't there a GPS unit that allready has the things I need without spending 430.00 and is very user frendly.

Scrapman25... :mad:

Welcome to the Forums! :mad:

My first GPSr was a Garmin Vista that I purchased on eBay, in a package with the Topo maps. I soon realized I wanted the auto-routing feature of the City Navigator maps. I think the maps, with the beanbag auto mount and cigarette-lighter adapter cost about $140.00. The Vista C I purchased to take advantage of the maps was about $240.00.

The brand new Legend HCx and Vista HCx are out. The lowest price I've seen for the Legend HCx is $235.00. The maps are extra, but if you only want Topo maps, those can be purchased for less on eBay.

So . . . I guess it still costs quite a bit of money to get started, unless you just get a non-mapping $60.00 Garmin Geko on eBay and enter the coordinates by hand . . . ;)

As far as I know, no handheld GPSr's come with detailed maps.....I suppose the reason for this is because the maps that work for you may be useless to me.

What you plan on using your GPS for determines what maps you want. Also, different countries, different maps...

I use TopoCanada, and Metroguide Canada. Both pieces of software had to purchased seperately.

If you're going to be using the GPS on a 4-wheeler, I'd say go with the Topo maps for your area....if you're doing mainly urban caches, get City Navigator or Metroguide.

If the GPSr manufacturers included detailed maps, the price of the unit would go through the roof...just because of the fact that they would have to have so many different variations of each models. Also, if they wanted to try and cover everyone's map needs with one unit, it would have to have about 10GB of memory on board, just to hold all the different maps (topo, metroguide, City Navigator...etc)

I'm yapping about Garmin here, because I've owned three of them, and they're what i'm familiar with.

No problems with any of them, just kept upgrading.

I would definately not recommend the ones with the battery 'packs', just because you can't simply change the batteries when they die. if you go camping or something for a few days and have no way to charge the battery, you're dead in the water. I'm sure some of them have an accessory you can buy that lets you use conventional batteries in a pinch, but why bother...

I had a yellow eTrex, and then a Venture, and both served me very well for caching. Neither of those have mapping, but I really didn't need it. I had the opportunity to have a GPS upgrade partially paid by someone i was using the GPS to do work for, so I upgraded to the Legend CX, and love it.

There are ways to make your own maps, but there's a fair amount to it. If you search around on these forums, you'll find a link to the tutorials.

<><

Magellan does not include an actual printed manual for their GPS units. I think Garmin does, but not Magellan.

I have a Magellan 210 and it did come with a printed manual. Not as complete as the on line manual, but gave me all the info. I need to get started.

Anything else I need can be found in the on line manual, which is available (free) on the Magellan web site.

Magellan does not include an actual printed manual for their GPS units. I think Garmin does, but not Magellan.

I have a Magellan 210 and it did come with a printed manual. Not as complete as the on line manual, but gave me all the info. I need to get started.

Anything else I need can be found in the on line manual, which is available (free) on the Magellan web site.

They come with a quick start manual.

I think the OP mentioned that.

The real information on how to operate has to be viewed on PC.

Sounds like you needed to do some more research! A 500 bundled comes with the map software and I THINK the charger...for around $190.

I LOVE my 500LE! Had to buy all the goodies (bought before the bundled came out) and it still only cost me around $260 w/map software!

You'll get the hang of the unit in no time and be out finding caches! That unit has GREAT reception and I've yet to lose signal even under the worst tree coverage!

Any questions? Just post in the proper forums section and someone will probably be able to help w/o much wait! I know because I left mine out in the cold (a BIG NO NO) and had to have someone walk me through rebooting and re-installing the base maps (I'm pretty slow, but I did it)!

You really don't need all the bells and whistles to start caching.

I'm not one to talk, I bought a Garmin60CSx and all the accoutrement before I'd found a single cache.

My caching buddy on the other hand bought a used Garmin (I think it's a GPS 12) for $50... no cables, no mounts, no maps, no nothing... just lots of extra batteies. It got him through over 250 finds and about 12 hides.

Don't get me wrong, I love the hottest new cutting edge toys, but it's not a necessity.

Driver Carries Cache

I love my 500 with all the stff you mentioned, but it took me a long time to get it all working. I understand your frustration. Now that you've got it, though, you can do just about anything with it. If you have specific questions about using any of it, ask here or on the other forum, you'll get lots of help and I guarantee you'll have a blast!!

Isn't there a GPS unit that allready has the things I need without spending 430.00 and is very user frendly.

Scrapman25...

Nope

It sounds like you talked to a sales person that did not know the product, this is a very common problem.

Just about every GPS box I have ever seen has stated that optional software is needed for a detailed map etc. You might look on the side of the Magellan box were it starts out with "Why buy mapsend maps"

On any web site that I have seen the need of optional software is mentioned.

As far as the rechargeable battery, You do not real need a second battery but you can get them on e-bay for about $3.00, that is were I got mine, but the only time I have needed it is when I have forgoten to recharge my other battery.

You can buy the software online for a lot less tha $149.00

You can use the bulit in memory but it will not hold a very large map, but you can get a 2GB SD sard for about $20.00 that will hold more maps then you will ever need.

As others have said, even with Garmin you have to buy optional software for a detaild map.

In the future, shop around a bit more and you will find better prices.

Edit for typos form bandaged finger tip :unsure:

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Well I got fed up and took it back to wally world . The reseption was terrible , it kept on loosing satalite lok

Then wene I went to load the software one of the discs wouldn't work,. That was the last straw.

I ended up buying a Garmin GPSMAP 60cx from Tiger gps online for 319.00.

My wife has a Garmin nuvi and has the roadmaps already on our computer. Do you think her maps will download into mine.

Scrapman

You will be very happy with the Map 60Cx, however, the maps for the Nuvi will not work on your GPSr. You might save some money by purchasing an additional Unlock Code, instead of purchasing new maps. However, since a new version is coming out now, you might want to get the new maps since they will have the most up-to-date POIs and roads.

Now you might want to look into getting a Premium Membership at GC.com so you can get Pocket Queries. Those have up to 500 caches in them so you can load your GPSr with that many, or more caches, at a time. :o

Oh . . . you might also want to get an "Invisible Shild" protector for the screen of your new GPSr.

Well I got fed up and took it back to wally world . The reseption was terrible , it kept on loosing satalite lok

Then wene I went to load the software one of the discs wouldn't work,. That was the last straw.

My wife has a Garmin nuvi and has the roadmaps already on our computer. Do you think her maps will download into mine.

Scrapman

What type of maps does the Nuvi use? If it's City Select or City Navigator it came with 2 unlock codes and could be used on 2 different units. I'm not sure about Metro Guide.

I have not seen one yet but you might check out the new DeLorme PN-20 it comes with their topo 6 map program. It also auto routes. I use their programs on my laptop and overall am pleased with it. Also it has all the street level info as their Street Atlas program.

Edited by S.A.R 29

I just had to add.

You bought a GPS at Wall Mart, a place the pays it employees very little. So get a sale person that does know anything about the product. Gee what a surpise that is

Then you buy the optional software for $149.00 which is the suggested retail, I thought Wall Mart was suppose to be a discounter You can buy the software on line for less the $100.00

The the GPS you bought from Wall Mart was the Magellan Explorist 500, not the newer version the Explorsit 500LE which does not require a special battery. Wow old outdated stock at Wall Mart

Then you decide to bash Magellan because you made an purchase from some one that did not know what they were taking about. You also did not do enough research on your own before making a purchase. You could have leared a lot about buying a GPS online in about an hours time.

Then you say the the Magellan Explorist 500 did not lock onto any satellites. I find this very hard to believe, I have and Explorist 500 and it locks on with out a problem and maintains a better lock under tree cover than any Garmin I have owned.

Before you decide to bash a company in the future you will do a little more home work before you make your pruchase.

Well my first and only gpsr was and is a magellan gold. Cost $180.00 off Amazon. Gots the Worldwide base maps, DirectRoute N. America and DirectRoute Europe off eBay at pretty good discounts, don't remember the exact amounts, just that they were pretty deeply discounted.

Gots me the premium membership thingy and GSAK.

I continue to be very happy with my unit and the rest of the stuff.

The whole package works sweetly I can tell you that. Not perfect mind you, just sweet. Sweet = good enough.

Cache on Garth!!

Edited by Team Cotati

Is the magellan still under warranty? If so now is the time to write the company. Don't expect the company to give you a lot of support, especially if it is an older model but they might give you an upgrade. Especially if it is still under warranty and you are persistent.

The the GPS you bought from Wall Mart was the Magellan Explorist 500, not the newer version the Explorsit 500LE which does not require a special battery. Wow old outdated stock at Wall Mart

If the product was too old to be sold the responsibility lies with Magellan to tell Walmart to send it back. GPS units do not have an expiration date.

If the product was too old to be sold the responsibility lies with Magellan to tell Walmart to send it back. GPS units do not have an expiration date.

How would the OP go about making the determination wrt if something for sale at Wal-Mart or anywhere else for that matter was "too old to be sold"? Yeah yeah I know milk, cheese and rotting food on the shelves at Safeway, but short of THAT?

By looking on the Magellan web site and seeing that the GPS is not longer in production

Yep. That is exactly what Magellan told me when my MeriGold started having problems.

It was my responsibility to check their web site before buying at Walmart. Preposterous!

If the item was no longer supported by them then it shouldn't have been in the store. A second hand store or closeout store i can understand. But Walmart is a big retailer. They shouldn't have to constantly check whether every electronic component is up to date according to the manufacturer.

Scrapman

I frequently suspect that posts like this are part of a college class assignment to see what kind of responses you can get. There are so many things about this that just don't add up. Maybe it's ME who is paranoid, but a number of Magellan bashing posts over the past couple of years seem to have been written by someone who has no idea what they're talking about, have not actuallly found any caches, and then disappear soon after they start the thread.

Scrapman

I frequently suspect that posts like this are part of a college class assignment to see what kind of responses you can get. There are so many things about this that just don't add up. Maybe it's ME who is paranoid, but a number of Magellan bashing posts over the past couple of years seem to have been written by someone who has no idea what they're talking about, have not actuallly found any caches, and then disappear soon after they start the thread.

Not a college student. Bought a Magellan SporTrak Pro. It worked , not great, but it worked. Decided to download the firmware to see if it would remove the gliches. GPS didn't show any coordinate readings after that. Yes my unit was outdated when I bought it new on sale, still I would expect the firmware to work better than that. They've had enough time to get it right. Had the unit a year and a half. They did offer me some nice deals to update unit, but I've lost confidence in their firmware and can see myself having to replace it again the next time I get a glich. The Garmin is in the mail.

Edited by Luckless

This may be because first time GPS owners purchase units based on price more often than not. Magellan is a popular brand and consistently less money. I think more seasoned GPS owners will buy a Garmin for reasons other than price.

I don't see what motive users would have to come here and bash Magellan. Maybe one user, but many users?

There is even a thread where older Magellan users have talked about the decline of the company.

I see frequently that Walmart is not carrying the Magellan 100 anymore.

That's too bad as it's a great starter unit. I bagged over 220 caches with my 100 before switching to a Garmin Legend.

It was hard to switch as I really like the ease-of-use and accuracy of my 100, but it's Magellan that I worry about. As they seem to be abandoning their handheld units for car units, and their reputation for customer service (near to none), switching to Garmin made sense.

Took a little while to get used to the Legend, but now it's my main GPSr. I will keep my 100 as a backup unit and may use it at the next company picnic.

Edited by Fuzzywhip

By looking on the Magellan web site and seeing that the GPS is not longer in production

Yep. That is exactly what Magellan told me when my MeriGold started having problems.

It was my responsibility to check their web site before buying at Walmart. Preposterous!

If the item was no longer supported by them then it shouldn't have been in the store. A second hand store or closeout store i can understand. But Walmart is a big retailer. They shouldn't have to constantly check whether every electronic component is up to date according to the manufacturer.

Your statement is Preposterous!

It is not a manufactures problem if a retailer buys stock the thet staff is not quilified to sell. Manufactures do not take back old stock, once a retailer buys an item it is the retailers to keep. This holds true for Magellan and Garmin as well as any company, What Magellan and Garmin will do is give the retialer a credit on items that are currently in procustion if the Manufacture lowers the suggeted retail. As a matter of fact when an item is being droped by a manufature the manufacter notifies the retailers that it deals with. So you can be sure Wall Mart was aware of the fact that the product was not longer in production. It is Wall Mart that droped the ball on this on.

Having had experiance working with Magellan and Garmin since the first Gulf war and having experiance as a GPS buyer for an out door gear retailer for several years.

Judging by your post I would venture to say that you have no experiance as a GPS retailer.

Also while the Explorist 500 was droped it was replaced with the Explorst 500LE, these are the same unit, the only differance is that the 500LE use AAA batteries instead of the LiIon battery. So the 500 is still supported, which is the GPS we are talking about. No the Meridian gold.

It seems i have pushed a button here.

You seem upset, and i am not sure why.

Maybe you just don't like Walmart.

What did Walmart drop the ball on? I don't understand what you are saying.

Your statement

If the item was no longer supported by them then it shouldn't have been in the store.

This is a Preposterous! statement

Point number one

It is not a manufactures problem if a retailer buys stock that the staff is not qualified to sell.

Manufactures do not take back old stock, once a retailer buys an item it is the retailers to keep.

This holds true for Magellan and Garmin as well as any company.

Point number two

What Magellan and Garmin will do is give the retailer a credit on items that are currently in production if the Manufacture lowers the suggested retail.

Point three

As a matter of fact when an item is being dropped by a manufacture the manufacture notifies the retailer. So you can be sure Wall Mart was aware of the fact that the product was not longer in production.

This is why

It is Wall Mart that dropped the ball on this on.

To blame Magellan is Preposterous. If Wall Mart cannot pay enough to have staff with the ability to sell a product it is not the manufactures problem. If Wall Marts staff was capable of selling the product Wall Mart would not have old outdated stock on hand.

You did not mention when you made your purchase, but the Meridian gold was dropped my by Magellan quite some time ago.

I do not know why you do not understand that manufactures do not take back old stock. I know from experiance that Magellan and Garmin give the dealers plenty of time to sell off old stock. In most cases the buyers for the retailers are notified no less than six months prior to and item being droped, this is also when they see the new procucts that are going to be released, in some cases a buyer will see or be informed of new produsts as much as a year out.

For an example most outdoor retailers are getting ready to go the the Outdoor retailer show in August to order products for next summer.

Like I stated, you really do not understand how the retail industry works

Do I have a problem with Wall Mart, all I can say is that if Wall Mart paid a decent wage they might be able to higher quilified staff. But in the USA the consumers want the lowest price, but with that you cannot expect to get staff that knows anything about what they are selling.

It makes sense to me now. You have a problem with Walmart.

If those people didn't want to work for less than they should find work elsewhere. No one is forcing them to work there.

I was not blaming Magellan for anything. But if their items are sold by a big box store they should stand behind their product. Whether it is new or no longer in production.

It makes sense to me now. You have a problem with Walmart.

Not really, I am just trying to explain why Wall Mart had old outdated stock on hand

If those people didn't want to work for less than they should find work elsewhere. No one is forcing them to work there.

This is true, that is why they cannot keep employees long enough for them to become trained in sales or product knowledge

I was not blaming Magellan for anything. But if their items are sold by a big box store they should stand behind their product. Whether it is new or no longer in production.

No this is not true.

You did not mention when you bought the Meridian gold or how much you paid for it.

How is Magellan to know when some retailer has old stock, they have no way to know.

Wall Mart should have marked down the Meridians when they saw them being dropped by Magellan, then they would have sold them while they were still being supported.

No manufacture can be expected to stand behind every product they sell for and indefinite period of time.

It is solely the responsibility of the retailer to sell the product in a timely manner and to notify the customer if that item is not longer supported by the Manufacture

It is not the Manufactures responsibility.

Garmin and Magellan both offer training for sales staff and not charge to the retailer, but some retailers are not willing spend the money in wages to have their staff off the floor.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Scrapman

Not a college student. Bought a Magellan SporTrak Pro. It worked , not great, but it worked. Decided to download the firmware to see if it would remove the gliches. GPS didn't show any coordinate readings after that. Yes my unit was outdated when I bought it new on sale, still I would expect the firmware to work better than that. They've had enough time to get it right. Had the unit a year and a half. They did offer me some nice deals to update unit, but I've lost confidence in their firmware and can see myself having to replace it again the next time I get a glich. The Garmin is in the mail.

just for the record: luckless, your post is way different than the one I responded to. You have a reasonable complaint supported by evidence that you are really a geocacher and know what you're talking about! Hope your new Garmin provides lots of good times! Come on down to Long Island and give it a workout :laughing:

How is Magellan to know when some retailer has old stock, they have no way to know.

Wall Mart should have marked down the Meridians when they saw them being dropped by Magellan, then they would have sold them while they were still being supported.

No manufacture can be expected to stand behind every product they sell for and indefinite period of time.

It is solely the responsibility of the retailer to sell the product in a timely manner and to notify the customer if that item is not longer supported by the Manufacture

It is not the Manufactures responsibility.

Garmin and Magellan both offer training for sales staff and not charge to the retailer, but some retailers are not willing spend the money in wages to have their staff off the floor.

Well lets see if I remember correctly I bought my gold in March of 02,and Wal-Mart wasn't even stocking the gold then. They special ordered it for me, all they carried in the Meridian series was the old green. If I remember correctly I paid $279 and change, and that was the price Wal-mart was selling them for when they started stocking them.

I imagine Knight2000 probably paid around $199 and change for theirs, so I would say it had been discounted. Eventually they will go on clearance if there are any left and it will be discounted a lot more.

I love my Magellan Explorist 500. I got it for around $150 refurbished on ebay, with AC adapter, USB cord, and a 1gb memory stick.

I upgraded from the Garmin Etrex Yellow (not camo, so when i drop it in the woods, I can find it, plus it was $10 cheaper) which served me fine, I just wanted a few more bells and whistles so I wouldn't have to plan out every cache I wanted to hit and make sure to print out or write the coordinates down. Now, I can be driving to or from a cache, and notice that there's one right by and detour off to attempt it.

It's not perfect, but it works.

My main problem with it are on the view cache page, the text is too large for the screen and cuts off information that would be helpful.

I bought the one i had 3/07. I paid $150 for it.

If a manufacturer isn't willing to honor their warranty then it should have a time frame on the package.

"Warranty honored for purchases before DATE"

so you bought a meridian gold at Wall Mart in march of 2007, The Meridan gold is dropped by Magellan 12/2005

You Paid $150.00 for a GPS that sold for $250-$300 when it first came onto the market. You got a good price.

Wall Mart had a very good return policy, you should take it back to Wall Mart and get your money back

If a manufacturer isn't willing to honor their warranty then it should have a time frame on the package.

No way! Magellan and Garmin buy a portion of the componets for their procucts from other manufactures, if their suppliers stops making a part that they need they will have no way to repair the item. I have seen this happen. Garmin and Magellan both stock parts for their products for making repairs to them. At some point in time they will no longer be able to get those parts.

Lets say SIRF stops making some of the GPS chipsets that they sell to Garmin and Magellan Those manufactures will no longer be able to sell or service the products that use those chipsets once the supply is gone.

Sirf componets can be found in products from.

Magellan, Garmin, Tom Tom, Compal, Global Sat, Mitec, True Position, CoPilot live,HTC,Navman,Via Michelin,

Falcom, Leadtec, Pioneer, Wayfinder, Fujitsu/Siemans, LG, SK Telecom, and Wherify

I bought the one i had 3/07. I paid $150 for it.

"Warranty honored for purchases before DATE"

Was that $150.00 or $150 and change

Exactly $150 + tax.

OK it was on clearance, clearance items are discontinued items that Wal-Mart is not planning on carrying any longer.

That should have been a red flag for you. I'm not trying to put the blame on you, but if something is being sold at about half price I think it's time to further check the item out :laughing:

I had no idea it was half price. It said regular price $200. But stores routinely do that to show that their price is good.

I went to the store with the plan to buy a GPS. I really didn't care what brand. I wanted one that could support maps and could connect to PC. This was the only one they had like that.

An new item should still work even if it is is not fresh of the production line.

Scrapman25... :laughing:

I have a $40 Garmin Geko I use for quick lunch time grabs. If you want a nice unit to download PQs and that has nice color maps then you're going to spend some money....

I had no idea it was half price. It said regular price $200. But stores routinely do that to show that their price is good.

I went to the store with the plan to buy a GPS. I really didn't care what brand. I wanted one that could support maps and could connect to PC. This was the only one they had like that.

An new item should still work even if it is is not fresh of the production line.

Sorry, JohnnyVegas and Vagabond are correct. It's like the car buyer who doesn't understand what "as is" means on a discounted vehicle where the warranty has been adjusted even if it's unused (as new would indicate something of a recent date). The Magellan site had spelled it out if you took the time to research as any consumer should. I'm a happy owner of a Magellan and a Garmin.

edit: spelling typo

Edited by Teach2Learn

Well I see this forum is like all the rest ,I liked the conspiracy theory the best, that I was a College student looking for reactions . Then you have the guy,s that forget about when they first started doing this .. Then you have those that read my post and cut it up like they were in court . They must be lawyers ..

All my post stated was I had some problems and also thought there options were kind of expensive .

Was I supposed to keep it after the software mallfunctioned. Was I supposed to keep it when i tried to add a waypoint it would tell me that it it didn't have a lock on curant possition .. Look I spent 3 Day's with it and still it wouldn't do what it is supposed to .. Nothing personal against magellen maybe mine was built on monday I have the Garmin in my hand right now and within an hour of playing with it , Love it

aspecaily the constant updating of coordanance when you get in close to a cache ...

I'm out there lookin , and loven it

Scrapman

All my post stated was I had some problems and also thought there options were kind of expensive .

Was I supposed to keep it after the software mallfunctioned. Was I supposed to keep it when i tried to add a waypoint it would tell me that it it didn't have a lock on curant possition .. Look I spent 3 Day's with it and still it wouldn't do what it is supposed to .. Nothing personal against magellen maybe mine was built on monday I have the Garmin in my hand right now and within an hour of playing with it , Love it

aspecaily the constant updating of coordanance when you get in close to a cache ...

I'm out there lookin , and loven it

Scrapman

I wouldn't keep a Magellan or a Garmin if it didn't work, so it makes sense that you would return it. Forutnately, both my Magellan Meridian Platinum and my Garmin 60csx have been easy to use, dependable, and led me to hundreds of finds with similar accuracy.

In the end, was it less expensive to buy the 60cx with map software and any accessories? I'm guessing maybe it wasn't, but that it was less frustrating for you at that point.

I'm looking for anybody who might have a download of the earlier version of firmware for Sportrak Pro that they can send to me. Maybe version three or a four might work better than the one (version 5.34) on the Magellan website. I haven't given up trying to get it to work.

I'm looking for anybody who might have a download of the earlier version of firmware for Sportrak Pro that they can send to me. Maybe version three or a four might work better than the one (version 5.34) on the Magellan website. I haven't given up trying to get it to work.

Try in Yahoo groups someone there should have the version you want <_<