Premium Members only caches vs. "Commercial" caches, and by whose authority does Geocaching.com "control" geocaching?

Sexy_sally is a sock puppet, though technically a textile-less sock puppet is just a hand.

His account is quite old but not really used too much to log caches, having a limited number of finds under his belt. I would suggest that Mr Sally please post via his own account . I think that's fair enough if he's looking for actual discourse and not just trying to stir things up (and not really doing a good job of it as that.)

It's a true sense of a person's character to see what they do when they are completely anonymous - or at least think they are. We don't "out" users by policy so I won't say who it is directly but I will ban the account if the person doesn't come forth on their own. But they may not care either way.

Sexy_sally is a sock puppet, though technically a textile-less sock puppet is just a hand.

His account is quite old but not really used too much to log caches, having a limited number of finds under his belt. I would suggest that Mr Sally please post via his own account . I think that's fair enough if he's looking for actual discourse and not just trying to stir things up (and not really doing a good job of it as that.)

It's a true sense of a person's character to see what they do when they are completely anonymous - or at least think they are. We don't "out" users by policy so I won't say who it is directly but I will ban the account if the person doesn't come forth on their own. But they may not care either way.

you da man!

i think it's unfair to categorize sally as a troll. it is likely that she is a sockpuppet, but if i were posting a question about nudist resorts, i might prefer to be anonymous until i see what the reaction is going to be.

Why I was born and raised as a nudist, and it is who I am, and goddess willing I'll marry a nudist and we will raise our children as nudists. And hopefully they'll do the same.

i kind of resent the use of "textile", as if clothes wearing has a pejoritive connotation. if sally and her naturist friends want to deride the rest of us, that's just fine, but they ought to keep it among themselve if they want to get along out here.

My friends and myself resent the phrase "nudist colony" offensive. The use of the term textile to describe someone with an irrational fear of going nude in a social setting, is a long accepted practice. It's probably has been in use longer then the game of geocaching has been around.

and while i agree that nudisim is not abnormal and certainly not aberrant, a brief glance at anthropology will show that it is not particularly natural. although the amount and placement of the clothing differs from culture to culture, every culture of which i am aware has a tradition of wearing clothing.

As I said I was born and raised a nudist, as well as living at a nudist resort 24/7/365. And to me it is very unnatural to wear clothing when not absolutely 100% necessary.

i get the sense (and this is opinion and not based on any facts, so don't write in, ok?) that sally's agenda has somethng to do with bringing outsiders to the resort and hoping for them to go bare as they dare. kind of like sally and her other nudist geocaching friends wish to bring more geocachers to them. maybe not an unreasonable wish, but certainly bound to meet with some opposition and it would be silly for them to expect anything different. presumably they've been nudists for a long time and are aware of the general climate.

No, we (my friends and myself) were discussing the lack of caches in and around the various nudist venues. Uh, actually there MILLIONS of practicing nudists here in the USA alone. And probably tens if not hundreds of millions world wide. And nationally more-and-more families are seeking out nudist or clothing-option resorts as vacation destinations.

ive been to a cache at a nude beach. i do not often get the opportunity to chat with a gentleman sans pants. it was novel and he was very pleasant.

for the most part i prefer to keep my squishy bits covered and i have no desire to see yours. i'm not afraid or offended; i just like a little privacy. clothing (outside of the winter thing) is kind of like maintaining a separate residence, or having my own bedroom. i prefer to have my own capmsite at a campground. i like a little distance between me and other people. that distance gets decreased when either of us shows up without clothes.

To each their own, you were raised differently then I was. To you going nude in a social setting is "unnatural." To me wearing clothes in a social setting is just as unnatural.

Sally

sock_signal.jpg

I have been summoned.

Alas, I find that my powers are of no use in this thread, so I turned it over to Jeremy who has handled it quite nicely.

You see, I eradicate dirty socks with bleach. It's my gig. Every superhero's got one.

A nekkid sock puppet is sort of like kryptonite to me. I can't bring myself to spill bleach on raw skin. That just ain't right.

i still haven't heard: is it textile if you wear only leather?

and what other thread? i want to see! (cheap joke ommitted)

i am DYING for the grand denouement. who is our mysterious sally? y-chromosome-bearing goddess-worshipping never leaves the rez of course there are no pictures sally?

there's a nude picture of me. find it at your own risk. in most of the other pictures i am nudity challenged.

You've NEVER left the resort?? Ever? No vacations to locations requiring more clothing? No trips to the mall or grocery store? Never had your picture taken while out caching (in clothes)?

Other then going to the grocery store, no I don't leave the resort. Why should I? The malls don't have anything that I need or can't order online or via mailorder catalogs.

No, I have never had a picture taken where I was dressed. Why should I when it is so unnatural and totally the opposite of who and what I am? That would be like asking you if you've had a nude picture taken in a social setting.

And that's why we were talking about a lack of caches in and around nudist venues. As a lot of us prefer to leave only when absolutely necessary. Is that really so strange?

Sally

Why I was born and .............. is just as unnatural.

Sally

Yawn.

Not convincing me.

But you knew that would happen - didn't you?

I'll stick to my "textile" world.

I would rather go caching in places where I must be somewhat protected from the elements and bugs......... :rolleyes:

this is getting better and better. is sally hurrying to answer everything before stepping forward/ being banned?

come ON, people want to know.

uh, sally? save yourself some trouble. not even i was taking you all that seriously before. now NOBODY is taking you seriously.

it's time to come forward of the skrim and take your bows.

Darn, I have seen some of the women of geoaching and was kinda hoping this nude thing would catch on. :rolleyes:

you don't want to see me. i'm reasonable good looking, but the clothing really helps.

i was hoping we'd have the curtain call by now; i should be in bed but i want to see how it turns out.

i am DYING for the grand denouement. who is our mysterious sally? y-chromosome-bearing goddess-worshipping never leaves the rez of course there are no pictures sally?

there's a nude picture of me. find it at your own risk. in most of the other pictures i am nudity challenged.

From Wikipedia:
A textile is a flexible material comprised of a network of natural or artificial fibers often referred to as thread or yarn. Yarn is produced by spinning raw wool fibers, linen, cotton, or other material on a spinning wheel to produce long strands known as yarn. Textiles are formed by weaving, knitting, crocheting, knotting, or pressing fibers together.
I'd say leather=not textile.

The other thread referred to started this "discussion" about commercial caches vs PMO caches.

My money on who the mysterious Sally is has to be on Snoogans. :rolleyes: Just kidding, Snoogans wouldn't be as far behind in the thread as "Sally" is.

I have no nude pics of myself, although my mother does. That sounds creepy until you realize they look like the one CYBret posted.

Naw. Trackinabox was more entertaining. He had a point to make, albeit misguided. He was an actual geocacher with find and hides, but could not accept steadfast regulations. No caches in National Park Service Areas.

Oh, so because I prefer to log my finds in a private notebook and not publicly that means I shouldn't be taken seriously? You do know that not everyone is obessed with number counts, don't you?

So he committed geocide.

"Sexy_Sally", on the other hand seems to have wanted to cause an uproar. (As someone pointed out, she has no finds nor hides.)

See above, I prefer to keep my count private, sharing it with only a few friends.

Hello, I live full-time at a nudist resort
might have been a giveaway (and, of course the user name). Good Golly! Most of the posters agreed with a hide in a nudist colony as being acceptable, with proper warnings. The problem being that her nudist resort is not open to the general public.
True, a good deal of the resorts/clubs are "private," but most do allow anyone from the "general public" who is willing to pay the grounds fees, and go through a brief tour, or orientation to visit and enjoy the grounds.

And, that begets the current thread. Sorry. If there's an entry fee for a private facility, (not non-profit), then it does not qualify. This all sems to have been answered in the first thread. What purpose does this thread serve? Other than to attempt to rake more muck?

Try nudist resort not nudist colony.

Sally

Anyone else notice this hole in "Sally's" story?

S/he doesn't go outside the resort except to go to the grocery store, but has found geocaches? Maybe they cache while shopping? Or maybe they cache nude? I can see the thread now:

Ever Run Into a LEO Nude Caching? or: Gee, Officer, I Was Hoping The Cache'd Have Pants for Swag!

And that's why we were talking about a lack of caches in and around nudist venues. As a lot of us prefer to leave only when absolutely necessary. Is that really so strange?

It would seem somewhat counterproductive to the pursuit of geocaching, don't you think? I'm not trying to be a wiseass here. But really, if you rarely if ever leave the resort, why would you try to get into a hobby in which travel and exploration of the surrounding world are integral components?

Anyway, as to your original post... nobody says you can't place a cache there. You just may not be able to do so through GC.com. You're not bound by any rule to use GC.com in hiding your cache, but if you wish to use GC.com you're bound by their rules. They are the official geocaching site because they are the biggest and arguably the best. And thousands of registered users tend to agree.

If you wish to place caches in/around the nudist resort, you're perfectly free to do so. You just may have to do so via another listing service if it can't be done here, or do so privately among friends. One of my most memorable cache hunts was one that was never listed anywhere but in my email. :rolleyes:

If you DO get it listed here or with another listing service though, it's only reasonable that you make it known in the listing where it is going to be. Some folks are accepting of your way of life, others are simply open-minded about it, but others may not agree with it, or just may not want their children to see nekkidness yet.

Where's NudeCacher when we need him? He must have something to say about this! :unsure:

Edited by wandererrob

Does thou speak to me?

If so-Behold the angst that begat angst. :signalviolin:

Does thou speak to me?

If so-Behold the angst that begat angst. :o

And on this other thread (which is now closed) we can clearly see that Groundspeak endorses "Nudists Resorts" through their advertising. :drama:

Gotta love Google Ads :signalviolin:;):mmraspberry:;)

NR.gif

I was busy yesterday, we had our very first local event last night. It was nice. A bunch of people who found geocaching. GC told us what kind of caches would be allowed on Jeremy's equiptment. We said, "OK," and now we have fun. Once in awhile someone drops by who can't have fun our way. Their loss.

You've NEVER left the resort?? Ever? No vacations to locations requiring more clothing? No trips to the mall or grocery store? Never had your picture taken while out caching (in clothes)?

Other then going to the grocery store, no I don't leave the resort. Why should I? The malls don't have anything that I need or can't order online or via mailorder catalogs.

No, I have never had a picture taken where I was dressed. Why should I when it is so unnatural and totally the opposite of who and what I am? That would be like asking you if you've had a nude picture taken in a social setting.

Sally

By all means. Feel free to stay. :signalviolin:

Other then going to the grocery store, no I don't leave the resort. Why should I? ...
Ummm, hello? That's where the caches are. You have to leave where you are to go find them. That's kinda the entire point to this silly little game.

Ya know "Sally",

On your other post, by far most of the posts were in support of placing them there, but with a heads up on the page.

You quickly took a defensive attitude b/c of a few people poking a little fun at something they are not familiar with, or just don't like the idea of. That is their prerogative. I wouldn't look for it either.

Most of the jabs you have received are for your very obvious sock puppet account. Oh and your intolorance. After all, have you not hung a label on the rest of us? Lighten up already.

It's very clear there are no problems placing caches in clothing optional areas, the only stickler is having to pay to get in.

Oh help, first I can't believe I read through both threads, now I'm responding.

Being, I strongly suspect, the only one in this thread that has ever been a member (Gymno-Vita) or even a visitor (Cypress Cove and others) to a naturist park (the phrase 'nudist camp' is so over) I may have to nominate Mr. Sally for the funniest sock puppet thread!

I can't believe y'all are entertaining this, uh, entity, by continuing to engage in debate with him.

having a limited number of finds under his belt.

I would posit that the desire to continue to hide behind the sock means the the occasional logged find is about all that is under the belt. ;)

Back OT pigpen 4x4 correctly pointed out that most of the replies in your original thread gave you a straight answer which was, go ahead, but please post a note to the cache page that it is quite possible to encounter a nudist while seeking the cache. A simple common courtesy, no more then you might encounter extreme terrain, mud, brairs, etc. Alas there isn't an attribute for nudity yet. :signalviolin:

A few more conservative members of this community disagreed with your position and you retorted with attacks.

Then you started offending many of us with 'textiles' and it's gone downhill, or sideways ever since.

Maybe I'm confusing posts, but at some point wasn't a distinction made between the 'naturalness' of nude living, and the 'sexuality' of gentleman's clubs? And yet you chose Sexy Sally as your sock. :mmraspberry: Verrry interesting choice.

And yes, at this point most of us are still here to enjoy the witty repartee. :drama:

Edited by wimseyguy

I think that most of us are just hanging out to see when the sock is pulled off.

having a limited number of finds under his belt.

Would either of these be possible? Assuming that nudist don't wear some kind of cool utility belt like Batman. After all where would you keep your wallet? But being as I am just a "textile" I wouldn't understand right? Us lowely textiles having to sit at the back of the cachemobile and only visit our own segregated textile caches.

Edited by ZSandmann

I would also like to ask that if you're out caching and find a cache from another web site, and it for whatever reason violates the rules here what would you do? Would you leave it alone, or would you remove it?

Sally

Am I the only one who didn't know there were other geocaching sites? I thought geocaching.com was the only one... never thought to look elsewhere.

you know, i post to a lot of threads that i don't really care about or take seriously. in the wake of my illness, it gives me somthing do do while i'm getting up my energy to do the laundry.

this has provided me with a TON of entertainment, and i'm still waiting for the sockpuppet to be revealed. it's comedy, drama, AND suspense! you can BUY anything betterr than that.

hey, i've just thought of this: we have "artist colonies", but no "artist resorts". draw your own conclusions.

I'm not only wondering how long this will go on but exactly why MR. SALLY (Jeremy specifically points out that this is a MAN) feels the need to post as "Sexy Sally" which is definitely a feminine name for this particular sock puppet.

I'm also wondering where is nudecacher? Shouldn't we ask for his opinion?

;):drama:;):):signalviolin::mmraspberry::o

Several of you have mentioned that so called "commercial" caches aren't allowed because not "everyone" has access to them. Then way are some caches listed as "Premium Members" only? Doesn't that make those caches "commercial" because again not everyone has access to them.

I would also like to ask who has given geocaching.com the authority to call itself the official geocaching web site, and to set the "rules" for everyone who wishes to go geocaching? Because as I understand things geocaching.com isn't the only fish in the sea.

I mean as I understand the history of caching, it was started by one man celebrating the removal of the SA allowing us to play our litte game. And that it's birth as it was, was in the newsgroups. And that the "inventor" has become disillusioned and has pretty much left the game.

And I would like to thank those who didn't heed the warnings, resulting in my original thread being closed.

I would also like to ask that if you're out caching and find a cache from another web site, and it for whatever reason violates the rules here what would you do? Would you leave it alone, or would you remove it?

If you'd remove it, why would you remove it? As I've said this isn't the only site dedicated to the game of geocaching, and just because a cache might not be approved here doesn't mean it wouldn't be approved elsewhere

Sally

Troll alert. Troll alert. Big time. Very big time.