Digital or paper mapping

Both. We first plot cache locations on Memory Map and use that as the basis for route planning. Then we print a 1:250k A4 map to drive by and enough 1:50k A4 maps to cover navigation in the vicinity of the caches. Sometimes we print 1:25k maps of complex areas, too.

OS grid refs are a bit easier for plotting cache locations on Memory Map but it doesn't make a lot of difference. After all, when you're close to the cache it's the GPS you rely on. We use Memory Map on PDA, too, but the screen size can be unhelpful. Then again, perhaps we don't want a debate on age & eyesight...!

Paper paper and more paper for us :blink: We actually really enjoy planning in the evening with OS map(s) spread out in front of us. All the caches get a circular sticker (easy to remove if wanted but stay put if not peeled off) and a number. The kids help with the plotting and learn quite a bit of geography. Just love it - print outs of caches we haven't had time to complete (we are always printing out lots and lots) are put into a filing system, ready for another day. OS maps can be ordererd from any local library so no cost involved there. The only downside is that caching can't be done spontanously. Small price to pay though for hours of fun :lol:

And what a great way for kids to learn to map read too!

...... Then I do a GSAK printout with the co-ords and hints and everything, giving 30 caches to a page.

I'm sure this is really easy to do - but i cant work out how!! Can someone please tell me?

http://gsak.net/help/hs22000.htm

%hint may be required in the special column, I cant remember.

That did the trick - thanks a lot! Also playing with the Options has helped to get a condensed printout.

Previously I've only used GSAK to get details onto Memory map and cachemate - now theres something else i can do, i'll have to see what else there is!

In answer to the original question - mostly digital, occasionally with printouts as backup (and now with printed additional backup that i used to write out by hand!)

Battery's don't go flat on paper maps.

And if you put the map in a waterproof map holder ,or cache printout into an A4" transparent pocket " ,

you have something damproof to hand sit on when writing in the cache log book. ;)

Just make sure you don't put your map down on top of the cache as we did at this site. ;)

:anibad: Now that's accurate coords! :P

I am considering getting memory map 1:50000 northern england edition, is this the right move for geocaching, or should i be looking at the 1:25000 version instead??

We use 1:50000 which is excellent for navigating to the general area of the cache. But we find that our Garmin is best for finding the cache once we are in the general area. We recently went caching without the PDA and wished we had taken it as it would have helped us to know which path to take. IMO 1:50000 is great but we wouldn't be without our Garmin.

We have never used 1:25000.

Hope this helps

I am considering getting memory map 1:50000 northern england edition, is this the right move for geocaching, or should i be looking at the 1:25000 version instead??

Get the Fugawi version and get much more land coverage as well for less cost.

Also the 'Find geocaching sites function is great and you can use that for anywhere on mainland Britain.

1:50000 is fine for caching.

Depends where you're caching and how you cache, but we always use 1:25K as many paths aren't marked on 1:50K.

If you have a Garmin which will take Topo UK it's a relatively cheap option and has much better detail than 1:50K, though not quite as much detail as 1:25K OS maps.

Digital.

We do take an MM printout and carry a compass but that's not been used in anger in donkeys years.

...and a couple of amusing true tales just to counter the "map-and-compass-or-die-horribly" brigade:

On a military leadership training exped up the Cairngorms one year where I just went along to make up the numbers at the last moment, it was my Ipaq that showed the resident experts we were not on the hilltop they thought! ...And when they scornfully asked "what happens when it goes wrong" I just whipped out my Vista and said "I use this"!... and for good measure, I pulled out the pack of 8 spare, freshly charged Ni Mh batteries.

Another day we were on the rim of Stob Coire an t-Sneachda after climbing up the Fiacaill Buttress, the weather turned foul - winter in August, from warm and sunny to being lashed by sleet and then a thick mist too. Character forming! When we started off after a short rest, the team wandered off south rather than WNW to head back to the Centre. The Vista highlighted the error before the compass and map brigade spotted it because they could not take sightings on anything!

Me! I've always been a techie geek. The trick is to ensure you have redundancy, always carry a spare!...and another one for good luck if you can.

Edited by Sue and Bernie

I think i have attained 100% paperless..

Tools: eTrex legend GPS

Palm Tungsten-E for text from the web page, calculator for clues requiring math, and a handheld version of a mapping program.

I generally use the laptop for pre-trip (viewing the webpage, etc.) If there are additional clues, I'll copy them to a plain text file, which I can read under the memo pad on the Palm. I also have both the plain computer version & the Palm version of DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2006.. The Palm can be used to additionally preveiw the maps, before feeding new coordinates to the GPS. Unfortunately, no way to link the GPS & the Palm.

I use the Palm as a "Notepad", mainly because the printer doesn't always work. I can also use the Palm to list area waypoints.

Stephen (gelfling6)

You could use the compass to determine your location relative to landmarks or natural features on the map...

..........and if you were in the middle of Dartmoor or, more scarily, in the Lake District, and a thick mist/fog came down..............?

In my opinion one shouldn't venture out to places like the middle of Dartmoor if you don't know how to navigate yourself off in fog using map and compass .

Have done it myself several times pre G.P.S.days .

100% agree. Paper always works, GPS totally reliant on batteries and a half decent signal.

I also lead walking holidays and never use a gps to navigate with. Always rely on what you can see, hear, you rfine map reading skills etc. I'm using geocacheing to keep up my skills. I mark the cache onthe map and get to it "manually" only using the gps for the final "find the cache".

.........and if you were in the middle of Dartmoor or, more scarily, in the Lake District, and a thick mist/fog came down..............?

...Always rely on what you can see, hear, you rfine map reading skills etc....

And in a snow storm you can see, hear what?

Any geocacher worth his salt always carries spare batteries.

Battery's don't go flat on paper maps.

Odd.. I always thought they layed perfectly flat on paper maps? :laughing: some roll off..

Although, I do admit to one cache hunt, where the batteries in my GPS were.. ended-up doing a little manual

search just to get back out of the woods. (listen for sounds of traffic, moss on north side of trees, sun

(Okay, it was raining this day. :blink: ))

Stephen (gelfling6)

.........and if you were in the middle of Dartmoor or, more scarily, in the Lake District, and a thick mist/fog came down..............?

...Always rely on what you can see, hear, you rfine map reading skills etc....

And in a snow storm you can see, hear what?

Any geocacher worth his salt always carries spare batteries.

See: Angle of slope nearby, any ground features close to you (walls, woods, buildings, paths, gullies etc), your compass.

Hear: Water (streams/rivers), traffic on roads, other people (although they may of course be lost!).

Spare batteries - absolutely. I did wonder if there's a half decent and reasonably affordable small solar panel that could power an etrex during daylight hours?

See: Angle of slope nearby, any ground features close to you (walls, woods, buildings, paths, gullies etc), your compass.

Hear: Water (streams/rivers), traffic on roads, other people (although they may of course be lost!).

You have obviously not experienced either a good "fog", (I can remember fogs/smogs back in the 60's when you literally could not see your extended hand in front of your face), or a "sense reducing" snowstorm in which you cannot see or hear anything until you fell/walked into it............

Maps and a compass are fine when you can see, and hear, where you are, but in fog/snowy conditions give me a map and GPS anytime............providing you get a GPS signal. If not, and in the above conditions, DO NOT MOVE!!

Maps and a compass are fine when you can see, and hear, where you are, but in fog/snowy conditions give me a map and GPS anytime............providing you get a GPS signal. If not, and in the above conditions, DO NOT MOVE!!

Or in LIS's case, if a slight drizzle is forecast, pour another glass of red wine, settle down on the sofa and DO NOT MOVE!!

:laughing::laughing:

You have obviously not experienced either a good "fog", (I can remember fogs/smogs back in the 60's when you literally could not see your extended hand in front of your face), or a "sense reducing" snowstorm in which you cannot see or hear anything until you fell/walked into it............

Staying still for long was not an option when we experienced thick fog on rocky hilly moorland pre G.P.S. and mobile phone days .

The only option was the skill to lay the compass on the map to plot grid compass bearings to findable landmark stages to get back to civilisation .

Now we would probably use a G.P.S. ,as a back up to paces ,to help judge distance covered ,but a G.P.S. wouldn't give us the skill to plot the safest and easiest route .

100% agree. Paper always works, GPS totally reliant on batteries and a half decent signal.

I always carry at least two sets of spare batteries, plus I made sure I got a camera that took AA batteries so I can borrow them in extreme emergencies. Signal strength really depends on your GPSr. A good quality one will have no problems in any conditions.