Can we get a check mark on cache pages we've found?

Mushtang

Now that the ultra time consuming project of getting the site to run smoothly is seemingly past, and time is being spent on updating the cache pages, I have a suggestion. This has been mentioned before but I wanted to mention it again.

Can we get some indication on the top of the cache page that we've already found it?

4d37f95c-c9df-477d-a371-9b1f3db79840.jpg

A check mark would be great, and consistent with the check marks seen on nearest cache listings for caches we've found. Another idea to indicate Found would be to change the background from white to gray. Or maybe both?

A check mark would be great, and consistent with the check marks seen on nearest cache listings for caches we've found.

Consistant is one thing that geocaching.com will never be. Sorry to be a bummer but I've been pissed with almost all of the newest changes in the last couple weeks as evidenced by my many forum posts, and replies.

A check mark would be great, and consistent with the check marks seen on nearest cache listings for caches we've found.

Consistant is one thing that geocaching.com will never be. Sorry to be a bummer but I've been pissed with almost all of the newest changes in the last couple weeks as evidenced by my many forum posts, and replies.

So what do you think of Mushtang's checkmark idea?

If you have nothing constructive to contribute, don't post. If you do have a contribution, pro or con, please post respectfully. Stomping into each thread to announce that you're "pissed off" is getting a bit old. Please dial down the volume a notch.

Can we get some indication on the top of the cache page that we've already found it?

dadgum fine idea!

Do you use Firefox? Prime Suspect has a Grease Monkey script that puts a list of your logs at the top of the cache page. That's something else that would be pretty cool if implemented.

dadgum fine idea!

Do you use Firefox? Prime Suspect has a Grease Monkey script that puts a list of your logs at the top of the cache page. That's something else that would be pretty cool if implemented.

The name of that script is Totals By Log Type (one piece of this script has now been used by Geocaching.com)and because it only works if you click show all logs I also use Show all Logs to do that automatically

P.S. I just tried the Gallery Enhancer What a difference that make in viewing log pics ;)

Edited by Ducky

dadgum fine idea!

I've read about several of these scripts that I thought would be great, but unfortunately 90% or more of my computer time is spent on my company issued laptop, and they say no to Firefox and yes to MSIE (don't get me started).

I've thought about putting Firefox on my desktop at home, but haven't yet just because

1) I don't want to deal with two different browsers and look for stuff going back and forth that I don't have (I used to do this when I had Netscape at home and MSIE at work years ago), and

2) I'm sure if I used Firefox I'd be even more upset that I can't have it at work. Sometimes ignorance is bliss - even if it's on purpose.

I'd very much like to see some indication on the cache page that I've found it, even if it's just having the word "Found" beside the cache title. In the above example, the cache name would be changed to:

Water Wheel - Found

A cache by ~erik~

A check mark would be great, and consistent with the check marks seen on nearest cache listings for caches we've found. Another idea to indicate Found would be to change the background from white to gray. Or maybe both?

This is a great suggestion!

No matter what form it takes, having that indication right there at the top of the cache page would be very helpful and convenient.

If this idea is implemented maybe it could also include other similar info-at-a-glance; one or more captions beside or under the title as they apply, such as:

You have FOUND this cache

You were FIRST TO FIND this cache

You OWN this cache

You are WATCHING this cache

You are IGNORING this cache

You own a TRACKABLE that is currently in this cache

You are WATCHING a TRACKABLE that is currently in this cache

Your FLY is open

The smiley idea for consistency.

If you use GSAK, you this is already done with a line of text at top.

Note: don't know if that should be an "E" or and "A" in the big word above, and I'ld have to go find my glasses to look it up. Sorry if wrong.

Edited by Trucker Lee
I like the idea, my suggestion on how it should work is a big smiley if you have found it, and if not found a big frowny if you posted a DNF.

That's good. I should have put that in my list as well: "You have posted [number] DNF(s) to this cache."

This is a great suggestion!

No matter what form it takes, having that indication right there at the top of the cache page would be very helpful and convenient.

If this idea is implemented maybe it could also include other similar info-at-a-glance; one or more captions beside or under the title as they apply, such as:

You have FOUND this cache

You were FIRST TO FIND this cache

You OWN this cache

You are WATCHING this cache

You are IGNORING this cache

You own a TRACKABLE that is currently in this cache

You are WATCHING a TRACKABLE that is currently in this cache

Your FLY is open

Ummmm, how did you know...?

dadgum fine idea!

I've read about several of these scripts that I thought would be great, but unfortunately 90% or more of my computer time is spent on my company issued laptop, and they say no to Firefox and yes to MSIE (don't get me started).

I've thought about putting Firefox on my desktop at home, but haven't yet just because

1) I don't want to deal with two different browsers and look for stuff going back and forth that I don't have (I used to do this when I had Netscape at home and MSIE at work years ago), and

2) I'm sure if I used Firefox I'd be even more upset that I can't have it at work. Sometimes ignorance is bliss - even if it's on purpose.

I'd very much like to see some indication on the cache page that I've found it, even if it's just having the word "Found" beside the cache title. In the above example, the cache name would be changed to:

Water Wheel - Found

A cache by ~erik~

I use LogMeIn from work. It's a cool piece of s/w which lets you remote control your PC from anywhere - and it's FREE. :blink:

I Love this idea. I do use the Firefox enhancements mentioned, but it just lists a log date at the top right.

What I'd also like is if when using the Google Earth KML, if it would show a check or something on those so you know you've found them.

A small icon is displayed already when you post to the cache log. It may be a smile/frown/note/etc depending on your last post. Since that information is already being queried from the server, linking a larger image based on your last post would easy to do - and will save on server load.

Just thinking out loud to try and make this easier on the site maintenance crew and to keep those who like the idea satisfied.

-G

dadgum fine idea!

Does this script still work for you? My list of logs disappeared about the time that the geocaching web pages were redesigned. I contacted the script author and he said he'd check into it when the pages stop changing.

By the way, I love the idea of a check or smiley for caches I have found and a frownie for ones I DNF's.