Log deleted What would you do next?

My log and thus my find were deleted from the following cache "Silver Creek Stash" GC134T6 . It was Posted on Friday and I found it on Monday not having read previous logs showing DNF's as I didn't have a computer to check the cache prior to my search. Because the original coords were so far off I posted my coords in my log to help other cachers as others have done.

see note in logs by Cachedrone "Distance From Old: 577.8 feet" .

This is a first hide by this new cacher(8 finds) and he messed up badly. Seeing some DNF's he archived the cache for a short while and to his credit, fixed the listing before unarchiving it. Two other cachers found the cache with ease using my posted coords.

My log is (was ) as follows.

"Coming home from up north and decided to stop for this one. Well let me tell you about our adventures on this one. Plugged the parking coords into the GPSr and motored to where the parking spot should be but it wasn't there. Drove around for some time trying to figure the best approach to the cache. Went up one trail but after a while the coords pointed away from where we were supposed to be heading. Back to the car and on to another parking spot along the side of the road. Bushwacked in to the posted coords, oh-oh, must be something wrong, coords are in somebody's front yard. Bushwacked back out to the car, shoes and pants soaked from the wet vegetation. Back to the original path, what the heck wanted to take the dog for a long run today anyway. Went quite a ways then found the trail we were supposed to be on and finally found the spot that matched the hint. Hunted all around but no cache. Finally ready to give up and make our way back to the car, took a different route and "I'll just check that one last place". What the ----, there it is! Signed the log and left a TB TN TFTC rovers3

Total time 2 1/2 hours.

Note: Coords I got for the cache N 44 39.269 W 079 39.441

We parked at N 44 39.181 W 079 26.148"

Deleting my log removes, in my opinion, a well deserved find on this cache not to mention the FTF which means little to me as I tend to stay away from FTF's.

What would you do next if you were me?

rovers3

Options:

• Resubmit the original log. If it gets deleted, shorten it up and resubmit. Repeat until it isn't deleted.
  • Unless you've already been given an explanation, contact the owner, and try to find out why your log was deleted.
  • Just resubmit with a short, simple log (like Harry Dolphin suggested), forget this cache, and move on.

I would ask the owner why it was deleted. The only possible objectionable thing I see is your posting of the parking coords. Some cache owners prefer to let searchers find their own way.

Deleting my log removes, in my opinion, a well deserved find on this cache not to mention the FTF which means little to me as I tend to stay away from FTF's.

Deleting the log has no effect on the FTF. You are still the FTF whether you like it or not. The second person to find a cache can never be FTF.

Edited by briansnat

I would ask the owner why it was deleted. The only possible objectionable thing I see is your posting of the parking coords. Some cache owners prefer to let searchers find their own way.

Deleting the log has no effect on the FTF. You are still the FTF whether you like it or not. The second person to find a cache can never be FTF.

His new parking coords are exactly the same as those that I posted in my log.

I intend to contact the cache owner but wanted some input here first as don't want to discourage someone new to the game.

A hint for sending an e-mail to the owner:

Seeing that he is a new cacher, compliment him on his choice of a cache location WITHOUT mentioning the coordinates were far off. Just ask gently why your log was removed. Mention that you included the story of how you found the cache since many people find the online logs entertaining.

Also mention that if he would prefer, you could sign it with a simple "SLTNLN".

If you want, mention that you have updated coordinates, since getting accurate coordinates can be tricky in that spot.

Heck, everyone screws up the coordinates from time to time! We have no idea what happened here... we didn't "fat finger" the coordinates, but when we went back to check, sure enough... the coordinates that were still in the GPSr led us out in the middle of a field, about 100' or more away from the intended site. We are reasonably seasoned geocachers but the satellites must not have been with us that day.

Read the log at the link below for an extremely cute story on who found it. Of course we left the log... what a great log!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...38-36b8ca694408

I deleted a log from one cache yesterday because the cacher had logged it twice one right after the other. When he e-mailed and asked why I had deleted it, I told him the reason and then gave him the names of other nearby caches along the same road that I owned and suggested that maybe he had meant to log one of them. Certainly doesn't hurt to ask owner. In my case, it may have helped him get another find.

My log and thus my find were deleted from the following cache "Silver Creek Stash" GC134T6 . It was Posted on Friday and I found it on Monday not having read previous logs showing DNF's as I didn't have a computer to check the cache prior to my search. Because the original coords were so far off I posted my coords in my log to help other cachers as others have done.

This is a first hide by this new cacher(8 finds) and he messed up badly. Seeing some DNF's he archived the cache for a short while and to his credit, fixed the listing before unarchiving it. Two other cachers found the cache with ease using my posted coords.

"Coming home from up north and decided to stop for this one. Well let me tell you about our adventures on this one. Plugged the parking coords into the GPSr and motored to where the parking spot should be but it wasn't there. Drove around for some time trying to figure the best approach to the cache. Went up one trail but after a while the coords pointed away from where we were supposed to be heading. Back to the car and on to another parking spot along the side of the road. Bushwacked in to the posted coords, oh-oh, must be something wrong, coords are in somebody's front yard. Bushwacked back out to the car, shoes and pants soaked from the wet vegetation. Back to the original path, what the heck wanted to take the dog for a long run today anyway. Went quite a ways then found the trail we were supposed to be on and finally found the spot that matched the hint. Hunted all around but no cache. Finally ready to give up and make our way back to the car, took a different route and "I'll just check that one last place". What the ----, there it is! Signed the log and left a TB TN TFTC rovers3

Total time 2 1/2 hours.

rovers3

I would write a TNLNSL.

Remember, he won't get a notification if you decide to edit it later. :D

I would assume that the new owner doesn't understand that deleting your log deletes your find, or that he didn't have to delete it to archive and unarchive the hide.

I'd ever so gently explain the how's of the website and the ramifications of his log deletion to your caching records, then see if you can relog, or get the original log unarchived. The cache owner would have to request that, not you.

He can't unarchive that original log, but the reviewer can.

Seeing that he is a new cacher, compliment him on his choice of a cache location WITHOUT mentioning the coordinates were far off. Just ask gently why your log was removed.

Yes. Something like:

"Hi, I really enjoyed your new _______ cache. Thanks for placing it. I noticed however that my log was deleted. Perhaps this was accidental, but in case it wasn't, could you tell me why?"

will work a lot better than:

"Why did you my log for _______?. "Was it because I said the coordinates were far off? Well they were and I was just being honest. "Deleting my log removes, in my opinion, a well deserved find on this cache".

A hint for sending an e-mail to the owner:

Seeing that he is a new cacher, compliment him on his choice of a cache location WITHOUT mentioning the coordinates were far off. Just ask gently why your log was removed. Mention that you included the story of how you found the cache since many people find the online logs entertaining.

Also mention that if he would prefer, you could sign it with a simple "SLTNLN".

If you want, mention that you have updated coordinates, since getting accurate coordinates can be tricky in that spot.

Heck, everyone screws up the coordinates from time to time! We have no idea what happened here... we didn't "fat finger" the coordinates, but when we went back to check, sure enough... the coordinates that were still in the GPSr led us out in the middle of a field, about 100' or more away from the intended site. We are reasonably seasoned geocachers but the satellites must not have been with us that day.

Read the log at the link below for an extremely cute story on who found it. Of course we left the log... what a great log!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...38-36b8ca694408

This seems to be brought to you by the same folks who claim "everyone's a winner."

BLUF: Don't be afraid to tell folks the truth in your logs. If they can't handle it, it's their problem, not yours.

Be informative; tell them what's wrong and suggest an improvement. If they delete your log, you have one of two choices:

1) If you're concerned about your cache count, roll over and re-submit your log with something like this: TFTC SLTNLN

2) If you're not hung up about your numbers, forget this cache and it's owner and move on.

Move on! :(

I would normally agree with you about moving on since the smilie itself is not that big a deal. But to me it's the principle involved here. It looks as though the OP's legitimate find log was purposely deleted for no good reason and that was wrong. The log told of the OP's experience and should have stayed!

I wouldn't like that option for us. Although we dont really care about numbers- we do like tidy and accurate records. When we write a log, although others can read it and it may help them- it is mostly for us to record our adventures. Our logs are written for our family to understand. If you read them, you might say- what the heck are they talking about?! :ph34r: We love utilizing the GC site to record our fun. Don't mind writing the logs, but would never write them if i didn't have a PC and probably wouldn't if the GC site didn't facilitate it.

Hooray for logs! :(

What he said.

I've only had one owner ever NEVER answer me on why they deleted a log. I just relogged fixing what I thought the problem and they let the log stand.

Total time 2 1/2 hours.

rovers3

I am trying to put myself in the shoes of the new cacher and it might be that a rather verbose log like yours focusing completely on how he ran you around with bad coords might be kind of embarrassing. He's got 8 finds, he doesn't know that pretty much everyone screws the coords up at one time or another. You could have accomplished the same thing by a short log about something positive about the cache and posting the correct coords you got.

Then, in a private email encourage the hider with your own story of messed up coords. Suggest things that might have improved the listing. Welcome him to Geocaching! Suggest a cache to him! Invite him on a group hunt! You have a real opportunity to shape someone's new past time by giving a good first impression. Come off as jerk, he may just decide this isn't for him (or her). Who knows, with a little experience and encouragement, this hider could be the next master hider in your area.

As for your find, you deserve it, no question. But contact him about it, don't antagonize him by reposting it.

I don't mean to pile on here but this is the last thing I would recommend doing. especially if this happened in the area where you cache. This kind of ties into a recent discussion in another thread about how to build community with Geocaching. This is a very new hider and a perfect opportunity to "go human" on him and try to help him out. Moving on or reposting a TNLNSN log are two legit ways to handle it but what does the new cacher take away from that? How is the cache hide going to improve for the next person?

If nothing else, it's important for him to understand how a deleted log affects the person that you did it to. That doing this is generally a last resort practice and he needs to understand that Geocaching is what we collectively make of it.

Personally I thought it was a great log. I love reading about the adventures/misadventures people have when hiding caches. Maybe he is sensitive about the bad coordinates, maybe it was an accident, maybe he is just a @$#@. :(

Either way, I think the proper answer to your question is just as others have suggested: Email the owner and ask why the log was deleted before doing anything else.

Be sure to let us know the results!

I agree with DanOCan. I love descriptive logs. I really like your log, and your perseverance! :ph34r:

I hope you can communicate with the cache owner and they will allow you to relog the cache, exactly as you did. That log is part of the cache's history. It is a new cache, and it already has an interesting history. :( Some caches live their entire "lives" without ever being interesting. :(

I agree with DanOCan. I love descriptive logs. I really like your log, and your perseverance! :ph34r:

I hope you can communicate with the cache owner and they will allow you to relog the cache, exactly as you did. That log is part of the cache's history. It is a new cache, and it already has an interesting history. :( Some caches live their entire "lives" without ever being interesting. :(

Some of my best and most memorable logs are DNFs and writing about them is something I always do. However, I look at DNF logs on my own caches a little differently and focus more on the cause of the DNF. "Is it operator error or was it something about the hide or description that could be the cause?" I was trying to see the log from this perspective. I put the wording in bold in order to clarify what I was trying to say.

Total time 2 1/2 hours.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

I'd have a new hobby.

logging that cache again every time my log was deleted. :(

could be fun.

course, I'm a nerd, so I'd probably just write a script to relog it automatically whenever an email came about the old log being deleted. hehe.

I have had several logs deleted lately . . . no explanation, no character displayed - I just move one to the next hunt.

Unfortunately, the more people that join the game, the more likely we are to discover some that are unreasonable, unskilled in interpersonal relations or are simply, in a word, jerks.

Keep the blood pressure down and the joy up - go get another one and pile your smilies! It ain't worth the discomfort to even address the issue.

Total time 2 1/2 hours.

rovers3

I would write a TNLNSL.

Remember, he won't get a notification if you decide to edit it later. :D

:rolleyes:

I have had several logs deleted lately . . . no explanation, no character displayed - I just move one to the next hunt.

Unfortunately, the more people that join the game, the more likely we are to discover some that are unreasonable, unskilled in interpersonal relations or are simply, in a word, jerks.

Keep the blood pressure down and the joy up - go get another one and pile your smilies! It ain't worth the discomfort to even address the issue.

I just have to disagree with this approach. A person's cache log should remain as long as the log is truthful and doesn't include a spoiler or profanity in it. Being able to log "finds" or "dnfs" are integral parts of how most of us geocache. I can think of two things right off the top of my head that deletion of legitimate logs affects. The accuracy of my caching history and not having to go through extra trouble keeping a cache that i found out of my pocket queries or seek unfound caches list.

No, it's not worth getting your blood pressure up over but there is principle here. I just don't think it's good to just roll over and take something that we know isn't right! :rolleyes:

Looking at the cache page, it seems that perhaps your log has been restored, in addition to your relogging it, as there are now 2 found logs for ya! :rolleyes:

The one thing I'd have done differently in this situation is not to have left the TB, as you didn't really know what would happen with this problem of bad coords. If the owner didn't update them, it'd languish until you went to pick it back up again unless someone was as persistent as you in their hunt.

All's well that ends well, though. :D