Tell me if you think this is right

Some guy in this area builds a new cache and calls it a TB Hotel GC120TZ. The day it is published he drops in around 22 TBs and Geocoins. The cache is a members only cache and is in the middle of a lake. You need a boat to get to it.

Some of the Bugs are his and I don't have a problem with that.

My issues are this.

1. Obviously this guy went around a raided caches to stock his cache.

2.I think it is just about equal to holding the bug hostage. It impeads the movment of the bugs.

I probably would not have a problem with it if people took the bugs there but for this guy to raid caches to stock this thing kind of pisses me off.

Edited by CSpenceFLY

Some guy in this area builds a new cache and calls it a TB Hotel GC120TZ. The day it is published he drops in around 22 TBs and Geocoins. The cache is a members only cache and is in the middle of a lake. You need a boat to get to it.

My issues are this.

2.I think it is just about equal to holding the bug hostage. It impeads the movment of the bugs.

I probably would not have a problem with it if people took the bugs there but for this guy to raid caches to stock this thing kind of pisses me off.

I personally am rather allergic to TBs and geocoins (I just don't "get it"), but most folks whom I know who are into those nasty little things feel strongly that "TB hotels", even those not located in hard-to-reach spots such as on an island, are a nasty and bad idea and are tantamount to a TB prison.

BTW, the "problem" with this new cache, if it irritates you, is really easy to solve: just go the the cache, remove the TBs, and set them free wherever you wish!

My issues are this.

I have to wonder if you have email the cache owner with your opinions or was creating a forum the first step?

Three caching teams have found the cache in question. Two have logged it because the third is not a member.

More have had a DNF on the cache. I did not see a single complaint in the logs about it being MO or a TB Hotel.

This makes me wonder what purpose it had coming to the forums? None of the TBs in the cache are owned by you, so it is more a matter of the TB owners to have an issue with...

I assume if it was called Lake Sinclair Challenge Cache and someone placed in one TB per trip until it had 20 TBs in it you would never have brought this to the forums?

If you feel a TB is being held that should be moved:

1) Log out of the forums

2) get out of the house

3) go to the cache

4) Release the TBs and move them to other caches.

These are only the opinions of someone who moves TBs as often as possible, your feelings may be different.

I actually like TB Hotels as they give me something other then another Lame Micro that I can put TBs into.

I actually like TB Hotels as they give me something other then another Lame Micro that I can put TBs into.

If a travel bug hotel is in a good spot for the quick and easy exchange of travel bugs, then an empty hotel won't stay empty long. People are always looking for a convenient place to drop bugs off. The owner of a well-placed hotel should actually be pleased if the hotel is occasionally empty, since it shows that the hotel is serving its purpose: to get bugs moving quickly. And if a hotel does stay empty for long periods of time without the cache owner continually raiding other caches to re-stock it, then it's not a good place for a travel bug hotel. - the hermit crabs Dec 2 2005

I guess travelbug hotels have their place, those being the ones that are in easier locations to get to and that don't have silly restrictions. A TB hotel that is difficult to get to, on an island for instance, seems rediculous as the bugs going in and out might get stuck out there for a while. I would think that a hotel should be set up so that visitors who travel through the area could get to it easily and therfore help bugs on to their goals. A travelbug is meant to travel to different caches, see the sights, and/or have a mission to make it to a certain place. Why would anyone want to impede their progress! :(

My issues are this.

I have to wonder if you have email the cache owner with your opinions or was creating a forum the first step?

Three caching teams have found the cache in question. Two have logged it because the third is not a member.

More have had a DNF on the cache. I did not see a single complaint in the logs about it being MO or a TB Hotel.

This makes me wonder what purpose it had coming to the forums? None of the TBs in the cache are owned by you, so it is more a matter of the TB owners to have an issue with...

I assume if it was called Lake Sinclair Challenge Cache and someone placed in one TB per trip until it had 20 TBs in it you would never have brought this to the forums?

If you feel a TB is being held that should be moved:

1) Log out of the forums

2) get out of the house

3) go to the cache

4) Release the TBs and move them to other caches.

These are only the opinions of someone who moves TBs as often as possible, your feelings may be different.

I brought it here to see what the opinion was. If you look at the history of the bugs and coins(GC120TZ) you will see that he placed almost all of them there and had many of them for months before he did. As for your 4 step plan, that is the plan. But I will leave all of his there. I have e-mailed one of the owners to see if they knew this person. They don't and they don't seem happy with the location of there coins. Your right this is a rant but I just wanted to see what others thought. I think that is what the forums are for.

Edited by CSpenceFLY

There was a TB Prison here that was in an inconvenient location, on Private Property, at the back of the parking lot for an office complex. When I found it, I was a new cacher, so I followed the "rules" and did not take a TB because I didn't have one to trade. However, I felt bad about the TBs trapped in there. When I told my caching partner about the TB Prison, we went there one night and grabbed all the TBs so they could be free . . . and travel again. :(

There is another "TB Hotel" near where I live. It is a LONG way around from a secondary highway to get to it. I have visited it a few times to move TBs and coins that have been placed in it. That cache only gets found once or twice a year. :anicute: It should have never been set up as a TB Hotel.

Having a TB hotel on an island is just wrong. Cache owners need to be reminded the TBs don't belong to them. :unsure: They belong to the TB owner, and their mission in "life" is to travel. :anicute:

I'm not crazy about TB hotels for the simple reason that if one goes missing, you lose a lot of TBs (learned my lesson the hard way with a geocoin exchange cache that went bye-bye along with a half dozen coins).

That said, any TB hotel should be easily accesible so the TBs can move. Putting one in the middle of an island and making it an MOC is just plain dopey.

Edited by briansnat

I brought it here to see what the opinion was. If you look at the history of the bugs and coins(GC120TZ) you will see that he placed almost all of them there and had many of them for months before he did. As for your 4 step plan, that is the plan. But I will leave all of his there. I have e-mailed one of the owners to see if they knew this person. They don't and they don't seem happy with the location of there coins. Your right this is a rant but I just wanted to see what others thought. I think that is what the forums are for.

My point was if they had named it something other then TB Hotel, would this be an issue? I have seen many TB's in caches that are terrain 4 or 5. Heck I have had to Rappel to a cache that had TB's.

We have some TB'Hotels' in places that disappear every few weeks to a month and the owner kept replacing it at the same location. Many a coin was stolen from it.

If someone makes it a TB storage and they move them in and out every month or so then it really matters not to me where it be. I have had a TB I owned in a cache in a city. Easy access yet it was discovered over 20 times before someone finally picked it up and moved it. Another TB was picked up and held by the cacher for over 6 months before a few emails encouraged them to move it.

This said, I think using the TB Hotel name is mostly what causes issues to people.

I checked the page a few times and nowhere do I see any rules on having to trade one for one. That being said there is nothing to keep the next cacher (you?) from taking all the TBs and moving them.

If you want my opinion; get a boat (or swim as I have done on many 'boat required' caches) pickup the TBs and place them in a plastic container and take them to other places so they can continue to travel.

Watching the forums where cachers slam on each other for an idea (mostly a first cache placement) is more harmful then any TB Hotel could be.

TBs will get stolen or lost. No cache is TB safe. Sadly though TB Cops love to point out a negative on any cache that TBs are in.

I am not saying your trying to be a TB Cop, I only ask if you discussed the concern with the cache owner, Jason, and give him a chance to think through your concerns before making him to be a bad guy in the forums.

1) TB Hotels should allow bugs to move more easily. They should be placed to encourage TB travel, and to make it easy for someone who's been holding a but too long to drop it off and get it circulation.

2) TB Slurping to stock your TB hotel is rude and frowned upon.

3) Even if it wasn't called a TB hotel #2 is still an issue.

4) The guy did it to get a rise out of folks. He thinks it's funny.

5) If he thinks it's a good idea and not funny...ouch.

Edited by Renegade Knight

1) TB Hotels should allow bugs to move more easily. They should be placed to encourage TB travel, and to make it easy for someone who's been holding a but too long to drop it off and get it circulation.

2) TB Slurping to stock your TB hotel is rude and frowned upon.

3) Even if it wasn't called a TB hotel #2 is still an issue.

4) The guy did it to get a rise out of folks. He thinks it's funny.

It's His FIRST hide. I am willing to cut him slack, even if others do not. :(

... It's His FIRST hide. I am willing to cut him slack, even if others do not. :(

Fair enough. Point him at this thread and let him learn. If he's an upright cacher willing to learn and do the right thing then he will. If not...we will soon know.

Sounds like the guy/gal just didn't know any better. Many new cachers I have met tend to think of Travel Bugs and Coins as some kind of "reward" or award. So they created a cache that "rewarded" cachers for thier hard work at getting to it.

Educate him/her and see what happens.

All TB motels and the like should be well hidden in easily accesible areas.

My point was if they had named it something other then TB Hotel, would this be an issue? I have seen many TB's in caches that are terrain 4 or 5. Heck I have had to Rappel to a cache that had TB's.

We have some TB'Hotels' in places that disappear every few weeks to a month and the owner kept replacing it at the same location. Many a coin was stolen from it.

If someone makes it a TB storage and they move them in and out every month or so then it really matters not to me where it be. I have had a TB I owned in a cache in a city. Easy access yet it was discovered over 20 times before someone finally picked it up and moved it. Another TB was picked up and held by the cacher for over 6 months before a few emails encouraged them to move it.

This said, I think using the TB Hotel name is mostly what causes issues to people.

I checked the page a few times and nowhere do I see any rules on having to trade one for one. That being said there is nothing to keep the next cacher (you?) from taking all the TBs and moving them.

If you want my opinion; get a boat (or swim as I have done on many 'boat required' caches) pickup the TBs and place them in a plastic container and take them to other places so they can continue to travel.

Watching the forums where cachers slam on each other for an idea (mostly a first cache placement) is more harmful then any TB Hotel could be.

TBs will get stolen or lost. No cache is TB safe. Sadly though TB Cops love to point out a negative on any cache that TBs are in.

I am not saying your trying to be a TB Cop, I only ask if you discussed the concern with the cache owner, Jason, and give him a chance to think through your concerns before making him to be a bad guy in the forums.

It was not my intent to make him a bad guy. I had issues with what he has done and wanted to get others opinions. I would have the same issues is it were not called a TB hotel. As someone else said, I believe it is rude to raid caches to stock your own to that level. Tack on that TBs are supposed to travel and many of those will be there for a long time makes it just not right. As of yet my e-mail asking where they all came from has not been answered. It was not a rude e-mail and I will be surprised if I get a response.

Travel bug hotels are really travel bug prisons. But this one is a maximum security lockup!

As for raiding area caches to collect bugs, that's not really that friendly. Perhaps people should raid his cache and take only his bugs to a far away hotel. See if he likes that.

Travel bug hotels are really travel bug prisons.

Not all of them.

As for raiding area caches to collect bugs, that's not really that friendly. Perhaps people should raid his cache and take only his bugs to a far away hotel. See if he likes that.

I assume you were being facetious, but I really don't see how any good could come from a vigilante-style approach to correcting any perceived geocaching wrongs.

I assume you were being facetious, but I really don't see how any good could come from a vigilante-style approach to correcting any perceived geocaching wrongs.

Of course I'm being facetious, I am not unfriendly (even though some of my forum posts may look the opposite).

I see TB hotels as a good thing, for the most part. I probably won't ever make one myself, since I prefer my caches to be a bit challenging, and I feel that making a TB hotel challenging will inhibit the access/egress of bugs. The "perfect" hotel in my eyes would be a regular size container, hidden close to a major thoroughfare, close to parking, without any silly rules. These criteria would most likely result in a high degree of exchanges.

As a kayaker, I love caches on islands, but I don't think they are appropriate locations for a hotel.

Some of the Bugs are his and I don't have a problem with that.

My issues are this.

I have no opinion on TB hotels.

As for you getting pissed off, I'd take the suggestion from others and talk to him about it first. You never know what his reasoning was until you ask him.

As of yet my e-mail asking where they all came from has not been answered.

Can't you look at each TB page to see where they came from?

I did that when I had time, after I sent him the e-mail. He started collecting them in January and held some of them for months till he built this cache. I plan to talk to him if he e-mails me back

If he's been collecting the bugs for months and managed to round up 22 bugs I don't think you can call him a newbie or use the justification that he doesn't know better. I definitely agree with the comment that if he is an upstanding cacher he would correct the issue. It's already bad enough he's had bugs in his possession that long, then to have them sit again really stinks!

The key word in travel bug is "travel." Their entire purpose is to move around. To put 20+ bugs in a level 5 terrain cache (on an island) goes against the spirit of the sport, IMHO. Whenever I find a bug or coin in some high difficulty cache in an out-of-the-way location, I take it and move it to a cache that is found regularly to give it the best chance to "travel." Why drop a TB in a cache that is found once every 6 months?

If I lived anywhere near this cache, I would go "liberate" every one of those TBs and coins. If he dropped 3-4 in there, it would be one thing. But to put 20+ in a cache that might only see a few visitors a year is just plain rude to those who took the time and money to make the TBs and coins. If one person finds it a month (and that is probably very generous) it would be almost two years before the last bug is moved. I would be pretty upset if I released a bug, only to have it "shipwrecked" on an island in the middle of nowhere.

Here's some info from one of the TBs in this cache..."My goal is to visit as many states as possible...This TB belongs to my 11 year old son Tyler. Please help him accomplish his mission." How is this TB Hotel helping Tyler enjoy geocaching? Tyler probably checks the website, excited looking to see his first bug move across the country. Instead he sees it picked up, held for a month and 1/2 and dumped in a level 5 cache on an island. Sorry Tyler.

Has anyone directed the TB Hotel owner to this thread? They may find it interesting and enlightening. I thought of doing it yesterday, but figured it had already been done.

I like TB hotels that have no restrictions and are placed in an area less likely to get muggled. While i dont get the coin collecting, we do like to move travel bugs toward their goal. Its part of our fun.

On a related note; I don't even like leaving the average bug in any very difficult cache, unless the mission of that bug states that it likes these types of caches. I can't stomach the thought of a bug languishing in a cache for months. I own several caches that are considered "lonely", and I feel bad whenever a bug gets dropped in them.

On a related note; I don't even like leaving the average bug in any very difficult cache, unless the mission of that bug states that it likes these types of caches. I can't stomach the thought of a bug languishing in a cache for months. I own several caches that are considered "lonely", and I feel bad whenever a bug gets dropped in them.

Travelbugs were definitely a rarity to come across when i first started caching back in 02. They were something that people would go out of their way to get when they saw the chance. For that reason, i had seen them placed in tougher to get to caches with the knowledge that it would most likely bring a visitor to the cache faster than if there was no bug inside. It sure doesn't work this way these days as we are inundated with many bugs and they are no longer sought after like they used to be!

interesting thread.

i don't take any side of this issue, but a thought did occur to me. as a novice cacher myself, i could kind of see someone thinking that having one of your bugs "imprisoned" in their cache (especially if said cache gained some sort of minor popularity as a thread topic), might be like a token of bug ownership in a way. picture it, you're at an event and this comes up..."hey, one of my bugs was trapped there for awhile", etc. even though i don't have any travel bugs, that might be kinda cool. sorry, i know that prolly makes some of you cringe to see me type that. anyway, just thought i'd share. happy caching!!

interesting thread.

i don't take any side of this issue, but a thought did occur to me. as a novice cacher myself, i could kind of see someone thinking that having one of your bugs "imprisoned" in their cache (especially if said cache gained some sort of minor popularity as a thread topic), might be like a token of bug ownership in a way. picture it, you're at an event and this comes up..."hey, one of my bugs was trapped there for awhile", etc. even though i don't have any travel bugs, that might be kinda cool. sorry, i know that prolly makes some of you cringe to see me type that. anyway, just thought i'd share. happy caching!!

Nah, I'd rather have my bug placed in a cache like The Journal.

One of mine was and I first I was like 'uh-oh, I hope it's not in there for too long!' Then I decided I was glad to have the honor. A couple months later the caretaker visited the cache and moved it along, as he should.

He has responded to my e-mail and I gave him a number to reach me or ask that he send me a contact number. I would rather talk about this over the phone as you can not read peoples tone in an e-mail. We'll see what happens.I really never thought this thread would last this long.

cache has been disabled due to everyone being so upset... i made this cache cuz i got the idea from on in FL, i will release all the travel bugs or set up another one that is easier to get too.. SORRY TOO ALL.....

Hey thanks! TB owners all will appreciate it!

The best advice I have ever given anyone concerning travel bugs is: Move them bugs!

It's a win/win situation when you help one towards it's goal.

Happy Caching!

dude sounds like a real hole. that is just a stupid thing to do. someone should go raid the cache and set the bugs free. On the other hand, he does have the right to put a cache there, as long as he isn't breaking the rules. so while technically this guy is doing nothing wrong, he is toing the line, and has already jumped in over his head into the ethics pool, if you know what I mean.

cache has been disabled due to everyone being so upset... i made this cache cuz i got the idea from on in FL, i will release all the travel bugs or set up another one that is easier to get too.. SORRY TOO ALL.....

No need to disable the cache as long as there is a plan to move the trackables along. Thanks for responding.