Geocaches on mailboxes (split from other thread

It's probably fair to note that there are mailboxes that exist that aren't used by the USPS. I know of one or two that people have bought and use for other purposes, but in either case are most likely owned by someone in which case permission would need to be obtained.

Just last week, I published a cache hidden under a *former* mailbox that is now a dropoff box for used flags, which need to be disposed of in a dignified manner. It's in front of the local police station, hidden with the full blessing of the police and chock full of police-themed items.

It's not the mailbox itself, but how it is used.

Also, mailboxes at individual residences is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.

What about a cache that *is* a mailbox. I'm not sure where to get one or obtain permission to put it on public property, but different organizations do have "mailbox" shaped boxes. Someone could get one, decorate it, place it on the street, maybe it could be a multi with stage one containing the key to open the bottom portion.... hmmmmm.... good urban camo

it would be funny to see the DNF posts "searched all over the bottom of the mailbox, cache is missing. Needs Maintenance."

Edited by ThirstyMick
In addition to the mailbox restriction law, Postal Service regulations

provide that “every letterbox or other receptacle intended or used for the

receipt or delivery of mail” may be used only for matter bearing postage

and that any mailable matter found in mailboxes without postage is

subject to payment of the same postage

This reminds me of a story...

Several years ago I was sitting at home one day around Christmas time and the doorbell rang. I opened it to find a member of our USPS holding a card that one of my neighbors had placed in my mailbox directly. He demanded I pay him the postage. I couldn't believe he got out of his truck to get me to pony up 30 odd cents, especially when this same person would leave packages that didn't fit in my mailbox dangling from a shopping bag on rainy days. I got a stamp and an address label, slapped it on the envelope and told him to "Mail it to me." To his credit, it arrived two days later.

What about a cache that *is* a mailbox. I'm not sure where to get one or obtain permission to put it on public property, but different organizations do have "mailbox" shaped boxes. Someone could get one, decorate it, place it on the street, maybe it could be a multi with stage one containing the key to open the bottom portion.... hmmmmm.... good urban camo

it would be funny to see the DNF posts "searched all over the bottom of the mailbox, cache is missing. Needs Maintenance."

I did actually mention this earlier. I would probably denote the fact with the reviewer so that they are aware and can verify it's not a USPS box. I see no problem with this as a practice so long as it is legitimately not a mailbox registered with the USPS.

If I am not mistaken anyone can buy a mailbox at Menard's or similar stores. It's the ownership and registration with the USPS that creates the potential legality issue I would think.

In addition to the mailbox restriction law, Postal Service regulations

provide that “every letterbox or other receptacle intended or used for the

receipt or delivery of mail” may be used only for matter bearing postage

and that any mailable matter found in mailboxes without postage is

subject to payment of the same postage

This reminds me of a story...

Several years ago I was sitting at home one day around Christmas time and the doorbell rang. I opened it to find a member of our USPS holding a card that one of my neighbors had placed in my mailbox directly. He demanded I pay him the postage. I couldn't believe he got out of his truck to get me to pony up 30 odd cents, especially when this same person would leave packages that didn't fit in my mailbox dangling from a shopping bag on rainy days. I got a stamp and an address label, slapped it on the envelope and told him to "Mail it to me." To his credit, it arrived two days later.

lol

I did actually mention this earlier. I would probably denote the fact with the reviewer so that they are aware and can verify it's not a USPS box. I see no problem with this as a practice so long as it is legitimately not a mailbox registered with the USPS.

If I am not mistaken anyone can buy a mailbox at Menard's or similar stores. It's the ownership and registration with the USPS that creates the potential legality issue I would think.

<_< That was kind of a joke....but maybe ill think about it....

Here is one for the legal crowd to mull over.

If the USPS found one of these cahces could everyone on the log be prosecuted for attaching the cache to the mailbox since every single person did in fact remove it and put it back?

:-)

Actually, according to the "Do You Have Anything You Want to Tell Me?" story, they could go after anyone who knows of such a cache and doesn't report it! <_<

I think actually, in the right setting, that isn't a bad idea. If you wanted to be real tricky put a false wall on the inside back portion. <_<

I think actually, in the right setting, that isn't a bad idea. If you wanted to be real tricky put a false wall on the inside back portion. <_<

I'm pretty sure that I listed a cache like this once. Although I may have just seen it in the queue.

The only way I see that working is with a lock on it and part of a multi. The first stage being where to find the combonation to the lock.

The only way I see that working is with a lock on it and part of a multi. The first stage being where to find the combonation to the lock.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I'm pretty sure the mailbox had a lock on it and possibly a geocaching sticker on the side.

The one thing that I would see that could be a problem is if it is too prominent on the person's property to where the mail carrier or a sub could get confused. You want to make it in such a way as to avoid this.

As long as it is not for delivery of the US mail, it should be fine. <_<

Make it even better. Write "US Male" on the side of it. <_<

These are GREAT ideas...haha, maybe I'll look into this! I might even have the perfect spot.... out of the way but believable.... uh oh i think i sense another art project coming on...

I'm thinking I might have to also. <_<

If you do please post a link. The logs are going to be great. <_<

These are GREAT ideas...haha, maybe I'll look into this! I might even have the perfect spot.... out of the way but believable.... uh oh i think i sense another art project coming on...

Will do (if i do make it) Might not be for a couple weeks though..

Will do (if i do make it) Might not be for a couple weeks though..

Hmm... :D

There could be a series of mailbox caches nationwide, even worldwide! What would the series be called?

• Gong Postal
  • GCPS (The GeoCachers' Postal Service)
  • RFD Caching
  • ...???

So, I'm in if you are... :D

Please, please... pay attention to Cascade Reviewer's post from a ways back. If you place a cache in a container that looks like a residential mailbox, it needs to be in a place that would not cause confusion for a substitute letter carrier. If all the boxes are along the road, set the cache away from the road. If everyone on the street has their mail delivered through door slots, put a mailbox out by the street. And labeling the cache with a Geocaching symbol (the 4 color Geocaching.com log, the generic GX logo, etc.) is always a good idea.

In doubtful cases I've asked the hiders of residential mailbox cache containers to clear their plan with the local postmaster. That's always worked just fine.

Putting a mailbox out in the middle of nowhere would also be a fun placement that would not raise any of the security issues discussed in this thread.

There are many mailbox caches like this. I have one pending in my review queue right now. As always, use your common sense. Thanks!

Putting a mailbox out in the middle of nowhere would also be a fun placement that would not raise any of the security issues discussed in this thread.

There are many mailbox caches like this. I have one pending in my review queue right now. As always, use your common sense. Thanks!

I know I didn't say it, but in the woods was what I had in mind on my end of things. Not very many interesting places to put a cache along the road out here, what'd the point be? Just Another Cache... (Would I be the first to coin the acronym JAC for such a situation?)

Anyways, I agree with you, Keystone, 100%.

Edited to add: Hmm... Wouldany of this part of the discussion fall under the reasoning I've heard for not placing certain kinds of hides (like burying a cache even if it has landowner permission): "Someone else may see it and think itis a good idea and do it the wrong way." Out in the woods, ok, but then someone comes home andsticks one in their yard doesn't follow any of the good advice that's being given in this thread... Could be trouble... <_<

Edited by Too Tall John

...Just last week, I published a cache hidden under a *former* mailbox that is now a dropoff box for used flags, which need to be disposed of in a dignified manner....

That is a most excellent idea.

The flag box or the cache under it?

Flag Box. Of course if I had found the cache before reading this thread Id be giving the cache a Plus for pointing out such a great idea.

I'm a bit late getting into this thread, so forgive me if I missed something.

The USPS documents say the practice is illegal.

The Post Master(s) that many folks, including Groundspeak, have contacted say the practice is illegal.

For the purpose of caching, Groundspeak's guidelines say the practice is a violation.

Is there anyone else left who thinks the practice is legal? <_<

Postal inspectors are Law Enforcement Officers. They are sworn and carry firearms. Flunky???? My guess is no way. Since I am employed by a law enforcement agency and really do enjoy any activity that is lawfull, I feel that anything that is illegal is a NO-GO!!!!!

Not only is this illegal, it is a FEDERAL LAW!!!!!!!

What are Postal Inspectors?

Postal Inspectors are federal law enforcement agents responsible for enforcing more than 200 federal statutes that deal with the United States Postal Service and the U.S. Mail.

What authority do Postal Inspectors have under the law?

As sworn federal law enforcement agents, Postal Inspectors have the power to serve warrants and subpoenas issued under the authority of the United States; make arrests without warrant for postal-related offenses committed in their presence; make arrests without warrants for postal-related felonies cognizable under the laws of the United States, if they have reasonable grounds to believe that the person arrested has committed or is committing such a felony; carry firearms, and make seizures of property as provided by law.

ENOUGH SAID!!!!!!

Edited by Team Geo-Joes
It is illegal to tamper with a mailbox. Whether or not attaching a geocache to a mailbox would be considered tampering isn't a chance I would want to take.

I also doubt that any reviewer would knowingly publish a cache that is attached to a mailbox.

This is GC29B. THREE DIGITS!!! An oldy but a goody.

8af16348-88a3-421e-a7f2-45f2ade5f47b.jpg

The cache IS the mailbox and it's wayyy down a private road ON private property. I enjoyed the heck out of it too.

Don't go running for your torches and pitchforks. This is a rural rout and all the mail is delivered to boxes in town. I doubt the USPS could lay claim to it since they don't deliver to it.

Go figure. I loved this DNF:

Well, I don't know. Went well beyound the hint item which confused me. Then at the coordinates, there seemed to be a good place to hide a cache, but my tired eyes just couldn't spot it. That's the way it goes. It's probably just too easy for me to find. Thanks.
Edited by Snoogans
It is illegal to tamper with a mailbox. Whether or not attaching a geocache to a mailbox would be considered tampering isn't a chance I would want to take.

I also doubt that any reviewer would knowingly publish a cache that is attached to a mailbox.

The cache IS the mailbox and it's wayyy down a private road ON private property. I enjoyed the heck out of it too.

Don't go running for your torches and pitchforks. This is a rural rout and all the mail is delivered to boxes in town. I doubt the USPS could lay claim to it since they don't deliver to it.

Well, I don't know. Went well beyound the hint item which confused me. Then at the coordinates, there seemed to be a good place to hide a cache, but my tired eyes just couldn't spot it. That's the way it goes. It's probably just too easy for me to find. Thanks.

Wow that's an oldie!Yeah,same with the rual route mail delivery around my neck o' the woods.I could get away with a cache like that,but as was mentioned by other posters,there's plenty a places in them hills.. :laughing: ..So I'm gonna pass on the mail box caches (placing them anyways).

Wow that's an oldie!Yeah,same with the rual route mail delivery around my neck o' the woods.I could get away with a cache like that,but as was mentioned by other posters,there's plenty a places in them hills.. :grin: ..So I'm gonna pass on the mail box caches (placing them anyways).

Forum peer pressure wouldn't stop me. If it is UNIQUE in your area it WILL get positive logs. GC29B is proof of that. I've been to one other, but it was a working mailbox on private property that was made to look like the Tin Man, but out of old plumbing parts. Really creative. The cache is hidden at its base and it still gets positive logs to this day. That's the cool thing about those types of caches. They never seem to get archived and they never have issues that go unresolved for too long. :laughing:

As I have referenced on this forum in the past, and as LA resident Tozanimboku has wryly seconded in his own posts, this practice is unheard of in my area (mountain region of Maryland, East Coast USA) but is commonplace in some other parts of the USA, and it is EXTREMELY commonplace in Los Angeles, CA. In fact, one LA cacher once told me that if all magnetic-keyholder-under-postal-box caches in LA were outlawed and removed, it would likely decrease the count of Los Angeles caches by 25%! :laughing::grin::grin:

I'm at about 600 finds, nearly all urbans in west LA and south bay and haven't found a single mailbox cache yet. I was even thinking that "we don't have those here" when i started reading this thread. Maybe more popular in the valley and east LA?

I've certainly seen tons of LPC and Newspaper rack caches, though,

Wow that's an oldie!Yeah,same with the rual route mail delivery around my neck o' the woods.I could get away with a cache like that,but as was mentioned by other posters,there's plenty a places in them hills.. :huh: ..So I'm gonna pass on the mail box caches (placing them anyways).

Forum peer pressure wouldn't stop me. If it is UNIQUE in your area it WILL get positive logs. GC29B is proof of that. I've been to one other, but it was a working mailbox on private property that was made to look like the Tin Man, but out of old plumbing parts. Really creative. The cache is hidden at its base and it still gets positive logs to this day. That's the cool thing about those types of caches. They never seem to get archived and they never have issues that go unresolved for too long. :grin:

Something else I find interesting about that cache...Apparently when Caching was in it's infancy back in Feb 01,no body was yelling FTF... :laughing: I wish I found this game earlier.... :grin:

The USPS can lay claim on any box that mail is delivered to. Since that isn't the case you are probably ok. However, in a case like this I would probably still check with the local Post Master since the mailbox appears to be on the path of a mail route. To my understanding even though an end-user can have mail routed to a PO Box in town that doesn't necessarily negate the ownership of the box at the physical address if it's still registered with the post office. It'd be worth checking with them and confirming that this is ok considering that not doing so may result in violation of federal law.

While i agree that this mailbox cache may be legal from a USPS standpoint, i do not like the cache placement. Why? Because as a cacher i would never think about touching another persons mailbox. (It appears to be a regular mailbox on a private road.) It is illegal to touch or mess with somebody elses mailbox. I understand that this may not be an actual mailbox, but if i was a cacher and i didn't know the mail route then i wouldn't like this cache and would have logged a DNF because im not taking a chance touching someones mailbox.

Edited by knight2000

While i agree that this mailbox cache may be legal from a USPS standpoint, i do not like the cache placement. Why? Because as a cacher i would never think about touching another persons mailbox. (It appears to be a regular mailbox on a private road.) It is illegal to touch or mess with somebody elses mailbox. I understand that this may not be an actual mailbox, but if i was a cacher and i didn't know the mail route then i wouldn't like this cache and would have logged a DNF because im not taking a chance touching someones mailbox.

With the cache title and description, I'd have no problem with that cache. I've found an old (now archived) mailbox cache with the name "Geo. O. Cash" on it.

One of my finds includes a mailbox deep in the Ocala National Forest, quite some distance from any roads. I thought that one was pretty neat, and it caused me no concerns. However, I would probably pass on a mailbox cache placed along side a roadway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that one is an unused mailbox lying on the ground about 50' into the woods from a dirt road. :o

Good cache.

No problems with the USPS. They have to use the box for mail for the rules to kick in.

Last time I layed out mailboxes we just ran the entire subdivision by the postmaster. Then the homeowners would put in their own box as they built homes, or the deveoper would put in a community box and give the keys to the postmaster. Addresses come from the mapping department for the area, the post office gets involved after the address is assigned. Rural Routes may be different.