All that glitters......

Fish Eagle

Gosh... I have missed so much in the past week since I've been away.

I can only think it is a geocacher that does not browse the forums and it was just unfortunate timing for us. I hope I dont get shot down for this, but I like the design of the coin that C&P have on sale and will definitely order one.

I think we should still go ahead on some of the other ideas in this thread, eg 2010 FIFA Coin or the Small 5 geocoin.

Just my 2c worth.

Hokaai 'n bietjie,

To all the guys that think the mystery geocacher has stolen ideas from this forum for his South African geocoin; the first mention about it in this forum link was on 22 Feb.2007 by Team Farmers and TGF.

As there is already a picture of this coin, it must surely have been approved by GC before that date to have the first proofs being produced by now. I think this geocacher has been busy for some time on his geocoin design, and boy is he laughing in his sleeve at all of us now!

I would like to purchase this coin myself, and if another South African based coin on the same theme is designed I would purchase that on it's merit.

LeonW

As there is already a picture of this coin, it must surely have been approved by GC before that date to have the first proofs being produced by now.

Good point :(

Just think it would have been preferable to have a "South Africa Geocoin" produced under collaboration of all cachers and not just an individual. I stand to be corrected, but I'm under the impression that, certainly in UK and Netherlands, "national coins" are created via submissions of cachers and then polls to determine most popular design.

I can only think it is a geocacher that does not browse the forums and it was just unfortunate timing for us.

Most likely.... but then someone who is creating a national coin should be browsing the forum :smile::huh::)

Spilled milk and all that.... life is too short.

I think we should still go ahead on some of the other ideas in this thread, eg 2010 FIFA Coin or the Small 5 geocoin.

Absolutely. I did contact FIFA shortly after the logo was announced. It was early days, and they had more important things concerning them, frankly so did I. Anyway, got some standard vague response. Can follow it up again if there's interest. My thoughts at the time were to have a coin with the 2010 logo on one side and then produce a series with South African 'things' on the other side. Perhaps one series a year or something like that.

Edited by GlobalRat

I've bought/traded several South African coins(SA coin from 2005 and recently the Fish Eagle) and I'm quite proud when I show them in my collection but I must admit that this new coin is leaving more and more of a bitter taste in my mouth.

I've refreined from reacting to this coin as I was still hoping that the cacher in question would come forward and present his/her coin to the rest of the community. All I can say about this now is that I feel that this is absolutely arrogant and inconsiderate behaviour tdown.jpg.

It's hard to believe that this is a cacher who never visits these forums and didn't notice this thread. And even if this person didn't know about this forum, how do you decide to just go and produce a coin on your own and then go and register it at Groundspeak as "South Africa Geocoins", yes, that is the registered title of the coin!

I wonder what Groundspeak would say if the SA geocaching community complained about the 'claim' that this is the "South Africa Geocoin".

Come to think of it, maybe I've got it by the wrong end and it's not a cacher at all and just an opportunist exploiting the situation, that would explain the behaviour. ;)

So now, do I have anything possitive to add? YES, it's a nice design.

Will I buy or recommend it: NO, absolutely not!

Hi All

I only found this forum today - never knew it existed and never visited it before as far as I can remember.

I see that the coin has caused a bit of frustration and made a few people upset. All I can say is sorry and post my mail correspondence with a company in USA so that you can see that my meaning was not to create an official SA coin but it seems that things just progressed towards it. So all I can say is sorry and please follow my mail trace. Furthermore I also found on this forum that there were previous SA coins http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...c=92543&hl= ) so I don't understand the fuss around this one.

My mail trace:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 2:29 AM

To: xxxxxxxxx

Subject: RE: custom made geocoins

Hi xxxx

That sounds brilliant - what about the big five in the back

http://images.google.co.za/images?hl=en&am...G=Search+Images

- I also added an attachemnt with a little man dressed in the SA flag

on as clothes - maybe we can dress the geocaching froggie in something

like that and put it in the front?

I would like it on the same colour metal as

http://www.newvikings.com/geocoins/Regions.../rog210_OWL.jpg and I

like the two round thingys on the side between the writing not sure

what to write on the writing yet but I like your "caching south

africa" one and maybe we can write big five in the front as well.

thx again for your input and guidance

ta

j

Quoting xxxxxx:

Hi Juan,

The Isle of Man coin is one of my favorites! It's very classy looking!

yyyyy and I were talking about your coin and since this will be the first

"official South Africa coin" we think it would be better if we make a very

nice back to the coin. What would you like for the coin back? You

previously mentioned an African landmark. What about African symbols?

The National coat of Arms would make a nice back.

Under our resell program you won't have to pay for anything. We also

discussed initially selling 300 which would give you 60 free coins. We

will probably put out a newsletter to see how many we can sell. If we can sell

more we will certainly do so and you will get additional coins. If we sell 500 you will get 100 free coins.

The finish you liked on the Regions of Germany coins are antique silver.

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 3:51 PM

To: xxxxxxxxxx

Subject: Re: custom made geocoins

Hi xxxxx

I saw this coin and thought it looks quite nice -

http://images.google.co.za/imgres?imgurl=h...o.uk/iom_geocoi

n.htm&h=327&w=320&sz=47&hl=en&start=11&tbnid=bN33vbMC9_vcmM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=1

15&prev=/images%3Fq%3Duk%2Bgeocoin%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

I like the silver and the back and where it says Isle of Man we can maybe

just write South Africa and where they have the rose we can maybe just put

the South African flag in a round circle (as the link I mailed you)

I also like http://www.newvikings.com/geocoins/Regions.../rog210_OWL.jpg

the color and the circle is quite nice - I tend to like the darker silver

Here is some more info on the flag and the colour specs

http://www.info.gov.za/aboutgovt/symbols/flag.htm

what you think? and many many thx for your time and effort

j

To: "'Juan

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 5:12 PM

I'll put together some artwork and we can take it from there.

Thanks,

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 7:35 AM

To: xxxxxxx

Not sure what I want/need to put in the front - any more ideas? maybe

even coordinates in south africa like the airport - not sure about adding the

date - your thoughts?

j

To: Juan

Sent: 30/01/07 01:29

I love it! I pulled it off the web with the link you had sent and that's

the one I'm working with. Do you want any text on the flag front?

Caching South Africa 2007? Your GC name?... any ideas?

Thanks,

Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 6:18 PM

To: xxxxxxxxx

something as plain and basic as this will be fine for the front I think -

http://offthehoox.com/files/2006/07/safrica_flag.jpg

your thoughts?

j

To: 'Juan

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 12:40 AM

Hi Juan,

We have enough to get us started. I have attached the die art for our

standard back die. Let me know if this is acceptable. I will work on

the

coin front.

Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 5:37 PM

To: xxxxxxxxxx

I attached something like the standard GC number in the back - anything

similar will be nice - maybe even in the GC colors and maybe the coin must be silver or a brown sort of color and then we make the south african flag and the gc icon color

I suggest you get a pic on http://images.google.co.za/images?hl=en&am...arch+Images> &q=south+african+flag&btnG=Search+Images from the SA flag so you can get an idea

Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 3:06 PM

To: xxxxxxx

Subject: Enquiry from CoinsAndPins.comProduct Inquiry

I would like to make about 10 - 20 geocoins for myself and would like to

know the cost for that. How will I go about ordering the batch and what do

you need from me?

IP: 196.25.255.195

so as you can see I started with my coin on the 28th of January and the Big 5 on the 31st January and it got approved by Geocaching.com and they also provided the GC numbers etc so I did not think anything more of it till I read all these upset posts and only once I activated my first coin I saw that geocaching.com were calling it the South African Geocoin. Anyways you will see that I have been putting a lot of these coins in caches up for grabs and I even sponsored some to the event on the 26/27 May, so it is not for any financial gain - just for the love for my country and the game......... And please check out coinsandpins.com if you want to get your own coins and if you would like to order some of these coins (shipping for mine took around 4 weeks).

Edited by NotBlonde

Hi NotBlonde

It almost seems like an anti-climax with the mystery solved that you started unknowingly. It did not cause me any distress anyway - but a mystery is like a good book. ( You are not by any chance the originator of the GSA-coin? :( ) Please, don't tell.

I bought two coins because I think it is beautiful - but I would not think of releasing them into the wilds of South Africa - it is not a safe place - I would rather protect them in a warm and friendly home.

Congratulations on your coin, I would not fret about a misconcieved perception by others.

LeonW B)

As I was the one who have started the talk around the "unknown" SA geocoin, maybe I should then close it off now.

This is a very nice geocoin and one I think we should all be proud of. I will purchase one (or maybe more) of these.

However, I still believe the silver/platinum design from TeamTGF is absolutely the best and would still like to see it on another SA coin in the near future. How about a "small 5" with this on the back? A 2010 geocoin is just to far in the future to let such a design disappear.

Relieved to hear that it wasn't an opportunistic commercial venture by a non-South African. :laughing:

Nice design - we also ordered some last week.

And whoopee!! We hit a milestone this weekend with our travellers - 500,000kms travelled!!

And, thanks to Perdix, a new country this weekend too - Croatia.

I'm new to the hobby and not much into Geocoins (yet) but having read through this thread I still think there is lots of room to STILL mint a Big Five/Small Five series that is designed by the South African geocaching community. The ideas are too good to abandon.Maybe Geocacher.co.za could sell it along with his other caching stuff and proceeds can go to some cause like the Nelson Mandela Children's fund (that's got quite good a marketing ring to it)

I would certainly buy such a set. So I add my vote!

I'm new to the hobby and not much into Geocoins (yet) but having read through this thread I still think there is lots of room to STILL mint a Big Five/Small Five series that is designed by the South African geocaching community. The ideas are too good to abandon.Maybe Geocacher.co.za could sell it along with his other caching stuff and proceeds can go to some cause like the Nelson Mandela Children's fund (that's got quite good a marketing ring to it)

I would certainly buy such a set. So I add my vote!

Having your own national geocoin is important to mark your position within the world geocaching community. You need a minimum of 250 to get your own personalised icon and with the ever growing geocaching community, whoever decides to mint the coins will certainly break even at the very least.

For a first run, I suggest you study supliers, weigh all costs (minting - finishes, metal, colours, etc., quantities, personalised icons, shipping, possible import taxes, shipping to end buyers, etc) and possibly go for a smaller number of coins. After all 2007 is nearly finished and you can always increase production in the 2008 version.

:lol:

With South Africa being such a large country, you could also maybe try for regional coins: (And i'm guessing from here onwards) Cape Geocachers Association, Gauteng Geocahers Association (etc., etc.). ;):lol:

Hi guys,

Looking to trade a Lunchtime Gang geocoin for a south african geocoin. Anything like that available? If you are interested, contact me through my GC profile. Thanks.

Details of the Lunchtime Gang geocoin as well as pics can be found here.

36bcc9da-1ac7-4888-bd40-7c4811a398a3.jpg

Coins are available in Nickel, Gun and Gold. ;)

Thanks for the reply Marius. Let's keep in touch :lol::lol::)

Wow, it's been a long time since anyone had anything to say about geocoins, so I'm bumping this thread to the top of the list. I've seen several SA cachers getting into collecting geocoins, some in a small way, and some with lots of vigour.

As an excuse for bumping this "feel-good" thread, let me ask - Who's collecting coins??? :lol:

let me ask - Who's collecting coins??? :lol:

What would you define as a "collector"?

Anybody with one or more coins that are close to their heart, which they're not prepared to release - just wanna keep them, fondle them, admire them, and show them off to anyone who's prepared to look at them. Guess it's an emotional thing...?? If the shoe fits you, you'll know!!

I have a few that just get put in the bag and travel till I find a nice place to put it. And some I have for a mission. One been your 5 star climbing coin Fish Eagle. The same one you dropped on Amajuba. I was hoping to get it another kilometer higher next weekend but might not be going as we are not getting the numbers to go with us. Also the joy of showing others the coins is a great reason to hold on to them. I picked up on of your Erik Land Rover coins the other day too. It is a great coin.

Hey, you can't collect other people's coins - you're supposed to buy your own!!!

:wub: LOL, just joking!! :lol:

Thought it's a good time to say a

BIG THANKS!!!

You've gone to great effort with moving and placing our travellers - much appreciated!!!

Pleased that you got our 5-star climbing coin, and even more pleased that you (eventually) got to the top of Amajuba!!!

I was wondering whether I had to drive down there and carry you to the top so you can get that smiley :wub:

Now you tell me.... Man I had to run up to the top and back down again cause they threatened to lock me in if I was not out by 5 pm. I made it up and down with about fifteen minutes of searching for the cache, logging the find and taking photos. All together it took me a hour from the gate and back again. So climbing was around 35-40 minutes. And it was hot, so the 5 star coin was worth it. Now the next spot must be really tough and I have it in sight every week. Just gotta get there.....

Hey, I'm also a new collector. Getting hooked on this geocoin thing.

Also release the bulk of my coins (except for the Unknown soldier coin - which my wife is wearing as a piece of jewellery at the moment!).

Really enjoy the collecting. And I think Fish Eagloe and cioncol had a lot to do with my collecting.

Seeing Fish Eagle's large xcollection in SA - and the "pleasure" of watching the provincioal/country flags changing regularly after moves (HEY - HOW DO YOU DO THAT?), and cincol getting a few coins with me to start me off.

I was also blesed to get a coin or two from US cachers too as gifts.

So I'm pretty hooked now on a small scale.

Hey, I'm also a new collector. Getting hooked on this geocoin thing.

Also release the bulk of my coins (except for the Unknown soldier coin - which my wife is wearing as a piece of jewellery at the moment!).

Really enjoy the collecting. And I think Fish Eagloe and cioncol had a lot to do with my collecting.

Seeing Fish Eagle's large xcollection in SA - and the "pleasure" of watching the provincioal/country flags changing regularly after moves (HEY - HOW DO YOU DO THAT?), and cincol getting a few coins with me to start me off.

I was also blesed to get a coin or two from US cachers too as gifts.

So I'm pretty hooked now on a small scale.

Pity about the spelling though! :unsure: