Best GPS receiver?

Scooby Snack

It really depends on you. The fact is, any GPSr (made by Garmin, in my opinion) will work darn well for geocaching. My personal choice for best bang for the buck is the Garmin Venture CX, which comes in at a bit less than half the price of the 60csx.

Yup, that one gets my vote also. It is the receiver that I have(so I am biased :laughing:) but is really a great unit. It kicks butt!

It really depends on you. The fact is, any GPSr (made by Garmin, in my opinion) will work darn well for geocaching. My personal choice for best bang for the buck is the Garmin Venture CX, which comes in at a bit less than half the price of the 60csx.

But they all wont work that well under heavy tree cover. Thats where the 60 CSX and CX shine. He was asking for the best unit not the best deal :laughing:

But they all wont work that well under heavy tree cover. Thats where the 60 CSX and CX shine. He was asking for the best unit not the best deal :laughing:
Your post reads like the units without the sirf chip are useless in the woods. That simply isn't true.

Personally, I've never used a 60 or 76, so I can't give my personal experience of how great these units are in the trees. However, I have used several of Garmin's other units including the original etrex, geko 301, GPS 3+, GPS V, Legend C, Quest, and Venture CX. I can only think of a couple times in the last six years that I've lost sat lock under heavy, wet tree cover. Those few times, I was able to reacquire lock with little trouble and continue my search.

Given this, I decided not to pay twice as much for a unit that's better at something that my unit is fine at.

Edited by sbell111
... He was asking for the best unit not the best deal :laughing:
Actually, he asked 'what would be the best unit to get', not 'what's the best unit'. In my opinion, that slight difference in verbiage asked us for our individual opinions of the level of GPSr needed for playing. To me, that required determining the right feature set at the right price.

I chose the Venture CX because it is the least expensive unit that gives turn-by-turn directions to get you to the location, uses a microSD card so you can load as many maps & caches as the size of your card allows (I went with 1gb), is really easy to learn to use, and is made by Garmin. The fact that I could get all this for $180 made it too good to pass up.

... He was asking for the best unit not the best deal :laughing:
Actually, he asked 'what would be the best unit to get', not 'what's the best unit'. In my opinion, that slight difference in verbiage asked us for our individual opinions of the level of GPSr needed for playing. To me, that required determining the right feature set at the right price.

I chose the Venture CX because it is the least expensive unit that gives turn-by-turn directions to get you to the location, uses a microSD card so you can load as many maps & caches as the size of your card allows (I went with 1gb), is really easy to learn to use, and is made by Garmin. The fact that I could get all this for $180 made it too good to pass up.

nail on the head.

Definitely the sweet spot of Garmin's nex X line.

Your post reads like the units without the sirf chip are useless in the woods. That simply isn't true.

No, I said "they wont work that well under heavy tree cover", I never said they were useless because like you said that isn't true. The units with the sirf chip DO work better under heavy tree cover and would be the "better" unit for caching compared to the rest. So, IMO the 60csx - 60cx are the better units for caching.

Do you own a Pocket PC or Palm. If you do, GPS attachments are available for about $90 that have the Sirf Star III chip. Add another 30-40 for software.

You can also use it for paperless caching.

Add 80-100 and you have voice prompted auto navigation, something the stand alone GPS models do not have.

(Sorry if I confused the situation even more).

Edited by Alan2

Do you own a Pocket PC or Palm. If you do, GPS attachments are available for about $90 that have the Sirf Star III chip. Add another 30-40 for software.

You can also use it for paperless caching.

Add 80-100 and you have voice prompted auto navigation, something the stand alone GPS models do not have.

(Sorry if I confused the situation even more).

Problem with those is that they are made for the office, not the outdoors. They aren't waterproof nor are they built to withstand the abuse a handheld GPS wil receive while geocaching.

I agree with Brian that dedicated GPS's are less prone to damage in the field than Pocket PC's. However, I asked if he has a PPC already. If so buying an $80 Sirf Star III CF GPS that slips into the memory slot is a quick entry into trying geocaching before spending hundreds of dollars on a 60csx and then learn he may not be interested in caching after trying it. He could always use the PPC with GPS attachment for car navigation even if he has no long lasting interest in caching. IF he likes caching, he can then get a dedicated GPS and carry the PPC with the CF GPS in his bag or pocket for backup and paperless caching or for viewing 24K topo maps from National Geographic or just listening to music on the trail.

Also, a PPC can be protected in plastic waterproof cases with neck lanyards for about $20. Not a perfect solution, but it works.

Dubbin: I'm don't understand your point. What do you mean?

Bottom line is the 60CSX is the best. It makes geocaching almost easy. Download caches right to the unit, changes the icon to found and logs the date. Takes you usually within feet of the cache. Can autoroute you from home to a cache. Works where most gps' don't, (tree cover or many mountains).

Can get Ram mounts to mount it to bike, quad, ski-doo, cars, and get reception no matter where it's mounted. Lighter plugin so you can save on batteries. expandable memory which can hold all kinds of maps.

With street map software (like metro guide) can look up addresses, can find business' with address and telephone numbers.

There is so many other features that once you own one, you'll be like most others who own them, find they are the best.

I agree with Brian that dedicated GPS's are less prone to damage in the field than Pocket PC's. However, I asked if he has a PPC already. If so buying an $80 Sirf Star III CF GPS that slips into the memory slot is a quick entry into trying geocaching before spending hundreds of dollars on a 60csx and then learn he may not be interested in caching after trying it. He could always use the PPC with GPS attachment for car navigation even if he has no long lasting interest in caching. IF he likes caching, he can then get a dedicated GPS and carry the PPC with the CF GPS in his bag or pocket for backup and paperless caching or for viewing 24K topo maps from National Geographic or just listening to music on the trail.

Also, a PPC can be protected in plastic waterproof cases with neck lanyards for about $20. Not a perfect solution, but it works.

Also, while I personally don't think I could use a Palm for anything but "urban micros" without damaging it eventually, I think some people are careful enough that they could get away with it. I mean, if you look at Alan2's profile, he's done a lot of finds in places where I think a Palm would be destroyed by now, so obviously with the right care it COULD in theory work :huh:

Also, while I personally don't think I could use a Palm for anything but "urban micros" without damaging it eventually, I think some people are careful enough that they could get away with it. I mean, if you look at Alan2's profile, he's done a lot of finds in places where I think a Palm would be destroyed by now, so obviously with the right care it COULD in theory work :lol:
The thing is, you can pick up a cheap palm for around twenty bucks after shipping. At this price, you won't cry to hard if you accidently smash it. PPCs, however, are much more costly.

Because of budget, I chose the Garmin Legend CX. I wanted a color screen (better for these aging eyes!), the ability to expand the memory [storage] with the micro-SD chip, but something that would not be over $300. I bought it online new for around $220 (with shipping). Then I went to Craig's List and Ebay and found a used Palm for paperless caching. I found a 1 gig SD chip on sale at the local computer store. My parents bought the Garmin City Navigator maps for my birthday. I found a fanny pack at the thrift store. Paid for Premium membership at Geocaching; bought GSAK and Cachemate. Collected some swag and joined the local geocaching group (Geocaching Colorado). Overall investment of about $400-450. Fun of finding and hiding caches - priceless!

Enjoy,

Outspoken1

I use both a Garmin 60CSX and a Magellan Explorist 600. Both I am very happy with and are very good for geocaching. It also depends on how much money you want to spend.

Like storm180, I have a Garmin (GPSmap60) and an eXplorist500. Up until October, I was solely a Garmin user. Really, for geocaching use they both do a fine job, but both units have their downsides too. I can't vouch for the CSx line, but have seen others in action with it and it is hard to lose reception with it.

That being said, my explorist500 is incredible with reception as well and has not lost reception in dense, wet tree cover (and in BC, that's really saying something!). It vastly outperforms the GPSmap60 even with an external antenna. It is not as user friendly in geocache mode as the Garmin (you can't edit geocache waypoints for multis or puzzle caches). On the plus side, it's colour, the memory is as large as the SD card you put in it, and since it was being cleared out, cost much less ($200 CDN). I imagine the 600 is very similar.

i looked up the csx 60. ouch! 360 bucks on amazon! thats ridiculous!

i got the explorist 400, with a case, 1gb sd card, and the topo map program for just under $200. also at amazon.

the 400 has worked great under the tree cover in the jersey pine barrens. haven't lost lock yet that i know of (don't have the beep on for it though). and my son uses it to find geocaches - he's 7! so its simple to use!

it also has where you can upload the cache info , make routes , mark waypoints , etc. i think anything $150 and up is basically the same with small differences.

it also works well in the truck, even without the mount and external antenna. i just put it on the console in the middle of the front seat.

you don't need to spend all that money for a gps for geocaching. probably do fine even with a $80 unit that you can enter locations manually. the site gives you the lat/long so you don't HAVE to download them... :lol:

On the topic of GPSr's everyone has their favorite, as their is just about 40 billion different models out their. You can go cheap or top of the line too many dollars worth. As to me I have used the Garmin GPS III,III,&V. Just got a eTrax Vista C, cheap being on clearance sale do to new models.

Take a look at the different web sites and at the GPSr's units features.

Figure out witch features you want.

Find out how much you want to spend.

Then find the unit with the most features you want at the price you want.

Most of the GPSr makers have various GPSr lines. In the lines are cheap, medium, top of the line.

For the latest units get one with the SiRF receiver. It does seam to help. (With my GPS V I never had a lost signal happen) But the SiRF does seam to have stronger signals.

Right now you can find some Garmin units on sale as Garmin has come out with updated models so they are clearing out the old version.

Well I know this is kind of long winded but it is my $.02 worth anyhow.

All that matters is you get what you want and it works for you and you have fun with it.

Oh also a unit that you can transfer info from your computer to the GPSr is a MUST.

Paul

Also, while I personally don't think I could use a Palm for anything but "urban micros" without damaging it eventually, I think some people are careful enough that they could get away with it. I mean, if you look at Alan2's profile, he's done a lot of finds in places where I think a Palm would be destroyed by now, so obviously with the right care it COULD in theory work

Actually my PPC has taken some hits. I once tripped while climing over a log and smashed down on the display panel with my palm - no harm. I've dropped it in the woods a couple of times. Again - no problem. Funny thing is the worse "hit" came on an urban cache. I was walking in Manhattan's Central Park on a night cache hunt . It slipped from my hands and smashed on the asphalt. The battery cover popped off and it must of had a hard reset making it useless. I used my Vista for the rest of the hunt. Fortunately, I was able to reload the programs when I got home without any long term effect.

I wasn't usng my plastic waterproof holder with the lanyard out of laziness and complacency. That would have avoided the problem.

Thanks for the info everyone. I don't want to spend a lot of money( $200.00 or less), and it needs to be easy to use, yet reliable. I don't plan on making a career out of geocaching, I just want to get out and have fun. I'm not a wiz with technical stuff so the simpler the better. What's the most memorable cach anyone of you have found?

I've been wanting to get into this sport, found this forum..now I need a GPS device. Sounds like the Garmin Venture CX would be ok for a beginner like myself. Excited to find out more about it. Any suggestions would be great. :huh:

The Venture CX is a mapping unit. It's nearly identical to the more expensive Legend CX except it doesn't come with a memory card or PC cable. Most people upgrade their memory card to a more capacious one anyway and many people already have the cable (it's standard with many models of cell phones and digital cameras), so no point in paying for those.

You can use the Venture CX out of the box for geocaching, but if you decided you want the more advanced mapping features you can add them later.

Detailed mapping software like Garmin's City Navigator will allow your Venture CX to give turn by turn driving directions to a location or address. It also has a database of millions of businesses and services, so if you need to find the nearest gas station, hotel, bank, post office, restaurant, marina, park, smuseum, shopping mall, auto repair shop, etc... with City Navigator your Venture CX will tell you where it is and give you turn by turn directions there.

The 60Cx/60CSx or 76Cx/76CSx for all the reasons mentioned above.

Any GPS sold today (exept maybe Cobra) will work for geocaching and do the job. A method to connect to the computer to upload waypoints is the one must have feature. Everthing else is prefernece which gets you back to the 60/76 units.

First, the best units are ones with a quad-helix antenna, a sirf chip being a big plus.

Second, I agree the 60 and 76 series above fit: they have a quad helix ant. and sirf chip.

Third, I had a Geko 201 and it just plain could not hold a signal under any amount of tree cover. (Patch antenna, no SIRF chip.) Next, the Geko software was buggy. When I would stop moving the software would continue to increment the lat and long in the direction I HAD been moving, thus putting my coordinates WAY off. Avoid the Geko series, otherwise you should be OK. Geko worked fine for driving.

First, the best units are ones with a quad-helix antenna, a sirf chip being a big plus.

Patch antennas have an undeserved bad rap. Lowrance uses patch antennas in all their handhelds and their reception blows away many units with quad helix antennas. The Magellan eXplorists also use a patch and their reception is outstanding and the reception on the new Garmin eTrex CX units with patch antennas is solid.

As far as the Geko, my wife uses a 201 and its reception is fine, provided the unit is always held flat, face up to the sky. Many times her Geko outperformed my 60CS with a quad helix and we've had to rely on it under tree cover when my 60CS couldn't keep a lock.

The older Garmins with their patch antennas were very sensitive to position, so if you didn't hold the unit correctly (flat, face up to the sky) they would lose reception under trees, but used properly they work just fine under tree cover. This is where the patch antenna got its bad rap, yet I found many a cache with my old eTrex Legend under heavy tree cover without a problem and I know many others who had the same resluts. Four years ago, 90 percent of the GPSes you would see at events and on group hunts were eTrexes and this is in the northeast with a heavy leaf canopy. They never would have been so popular around here if they didn't work under trees.

Basic: Garmin etrex or Magellan 100/200

Intermediate: Garmin CX models (price driven)

Advanced: Garmin CSx

Like it's been said before, it all depends on how much you want to spend. If you pay 400-600 for a GPSr and then you find out that Geocaching isn't for you, then you wasted your money.

I started out with the basic Garmin and after about 50 finds, I upgraded to the Venture Cx and I absolutely love it...The interface (USB and menu) are very intuitive. I could not justify the purchase of the CSx, so i spent the $180 and use my venture cx. The color screen and battery life are way awesome, plus I use my car phone charger to power the GPSr while on the road.

Bottom line is that only you know what you want/need and what you are willing to spend. I'd highly recommend getting in touch with some local cachers with different GPSr's and ask for a test drive.....it may help to make your decision.

ea6bflyr

Well, after spending A LOT of time researching GPS units, I have some questions. I'm looking at the Megellan 210 - it sounds like it easy to use for a beginner, and the price is right. How important is the additional bundle purchase which includes Mapsend Topo 3D? Is it worth another $40.00? One of the features I like, as simple as this may sound, is that the buttons are on the front of the unit. Seems like it would be easier to use. At this point my geocaching needs are very basic. Is it user friendly?

I've got a basic GPS60 and it does the job, but it really suffers badly under trees, even in winter when there are no leaves. Is the GPS60csx any better in this respect or does it use the same receiver hardware?

The 60CX and CSX are far, far better under trees. Actually the reception on these things is quite amazing.

I purchased the Lowrance iFinder M+M. I absolutely love it. The LCD is much latger than most other units I've seen, it's gryscale, but who cares? The mapping add-on mapping package is outstanding! I have been able to locate caches without a problem when I have seen posts of others not being able to zone in on it.

I would buy another in a heart beat! I grabbed it off of woot.com. It cost me about $120 and the mapping software was about $100, but well worth it!

I just got my 60CSx after spending a lot of time looking for the lowest web price.

You can find the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx for $329 at the Nerds.net.

You can also get the Mapsource US Topo software for $72 from the same site, making your total investment just $400. Compare that to the $630 suggested retail for these items. If you get your GPSr and find that you don't enjoy geocaching you won't lose much if you resell since you paid so much less than full retail and these units have a good resale value.

Edited by Mercury Direct

how did you get around their shipping cost? i went will future power pc for $343 free shipping

However, I asked if he has a PPC already.

Thanks for the info. I am starting from scratch, so I was thinking of getting a unit that basically did everything. It's not that money's no object, but I will stretch a bit to get the right tool for the job.

Loved this thread. I am new to geocaching, but own an old Magellan (2002 yellow meridian), which has served me well, but does not work well in built up areas. Used it extensively in India a few years ago, and was always able to find my way home after walking for miles. And was able to find various must see attractions by using a hand held map and my GPS. But I think this unit is past its use be date. I want something that is 'dementia' friendly and will download from the computer without the need to use a hand held.

Can't wait to get out and look for my first cach, and then set one. But first I need a new GPS. :P:lol: