Second Place is FIRST LOSER!

Snoogans

Early on in my cachin' career, I happened upon a refrigerator magnet, at a dollar store, that said, "Second Place is FIRST LOSER," and I bought up every one in the store. I haven't had too many FTF's, but my supply is down to two or three now. :)

Note to self: Get some more! :)

Anyhoo, that magnet and a couple of my original sig items (some red tiger's eye and my usual smiley maze.) would always be left behind on an FTF whether I made other trades or not.

On smaller caches that couldn't fit the magnet, I'd just write that taunt in the log under my name....

Does anyone else have a traditional FTF calling card/taunt? ;);)

There are so few new caches placed in my area and the mere act of making FTF repeatedly is a taunt enough...sometimes I might put in the log something to the effect of..."yep...great cache...yet another FTF for me...too easy."

I also keep a running total of FTF/STF in my profile...just to rub it in...

:)

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

So you're saying that everyone to find the cache after you is a loser. Well isn't that nice. In some sports, they would call an unsportsman like play penalty regardless of your messages intent.

I'm not against good spirited taunting and joking but I think you might want to rethink your approach before someone takes it personally.

Everyone is very nice here in Portland. There is definitely a friendly competition to be FTF. Until an incident a month ago. My wife and I were scrounging around looking for a FTF micro hidden in a bush in a parking lot (the only time I usually hunt them) and a car drove by flashing their lights screaming "LOSERS!!!!" out the window. My wife thought it was a drive by shooting (this location at night is not a place I would normally want to be), but we soon realized they were the FTF on the cache and decided to rub it in. I thought it was actually kind of funny. They were just a couple of kids with a handful of finds, so they deserved the moment, because they won't be getting another one like that very soon! ;)

So you're saying that everyone to find the cache after you is a loser. Well isn't that nice. In some sports, they would call an unsportsman like play penalty regardless of your messages intent.

I'm not against good spirited taunting and joking but I think you might want to rethink your approach before someone takes it personally.

That's a terribly PC viewpoint.

It's just a saying. I didn't invent it, but it makes allot of sense when used in the context of a race as in, a race to be FTF. I find it funny and clever, especially since FTF is a very rare high for me. To take it a step further and assume that my intent is to lable all subsequent finders as losers is frankly trying hard to see the worst intent in a good natured taunt. Sheesh, it's a refrigerator magnet that I paid a buck for. Not a boot to the head. ;)

Honestly, I don't really care how anyone takes it. If their skin is sooooo thin as to take a harmless taunt like that seriously they probably have other personal problems they wish to lay blame on others for as well and probably do so often in their daily lives. I have absolutly no sympathy for those types of people. They will always find a dark cloud in every silver lining. Ummmm, did I mention that it was a refrigerator magnet that is worth a buck?

That's a terribly PC viewpoint.

It's just a saying. I didn't invent it, but it makes allot of sense when used in the context of a race as in, a race to be FTF. I find it funny and clever, especially since FTF is a very rare high for me. To take it a step further and assume that my intent is to lable all subsequent finders as losers is frankly trying hard to see the worst intent in a good natured taunt. Sheesh, it's a refrigerator magnet that I paid a buck for. Not a boot to the head. :huh:

Honestly, I don't really care how anyone takes it. If their skin is sooooo thin as to take a harmless taunt like that seriously they probably have other personal problems they wish to lay blame on others for as well and probably do so often in their daily lives. I have absolutly no sympathy for those types of people. They will always find a dark cloud in every silver lining. Ummmm, did I mention that it was a refrigerator magnet that is worth a buck?

I wasn't considering anything PC by your magnet... but it was a conundrum to ponder ever so minimally. It just surprised me you would consider using that tag when you've been promoting having fun for so long without putting anybody to the expense of being a loser. Using Winner/Loser titles is an elevation of status based on the perception of another's expense. It also assumes the second to find was in competition to the FTF.

I don't see any reason to take away from your high of the FTF. I also don't see any reason to take away from the high of the person finding the cache subsequent to the FTF. Just my humble opinion.

I wasn't considering anything PC by your magnet... but it was a conundrum to ponder ever so minimally. It just surprised me you would consider using that tag when you've been promoting having fun for so long without putting anybody to the expense of being a loser.

Win/Lose situations arise every day. It's natural. There's nothing wrong with competition unless you're Hillary Clinton. :D

I believe you've mixed my posting record up with someone else's. I'm very consistant in my posting and I think you'll find your statment to be off the mark. I post consistantly not to judge others by one's own personal standards which is a totally different message than not putting anybody to the expense of being a loser. I often use a particular well worded quote from you to back my position as you well know. :D

I would hardly consider a referigerator magnet with that motto on it to be a decree from on high that Snoogans considers all who tread behind are losers. :huh: It's a friggin' magnet. Sheesh.

I've put that magnet out on the occasional FTF over the last 4 years without a complaint. The second and last time I wrote that motto in a log for a cache that was too small to contain the magnet there was some brief discussion, but no one got all bent outta shape by it. I'd do it again.

I can see where it might be a bit hard to swallow if I was an FTF junkie and people got hammered with the motto on a daily basis. It would wear thin in a hurry.

I started using the magnet to razz the local FTF junkies on the rare occasion that I would beat them to a cache. It was taken as just that; a gentle jab to poke fun and not a political stand.

I think I started with 15-20 and I'm down to 2 or 3. I'll buy more if I can find some. Another 20 will last at least 4 years at the rate I make FTFs. :D

Edited by Snoogans
I post consistantly not to judge others by one's own personal standards ...

But Snoogs, isn't that, in effect, what you're doing? Saying everyone after your FTF is a loser is assuming everyone else is playing your game, is it not?

If someone goes to the cache looking for the FTF and they aren't the FTF, then by definition they are a loser :huh: If you aren't looking for the FTF, then it doesn't really matter does it? There can be only one FTF! All subsequent FTF seekers are losers by definition.

Loser

------------------

a person who has failed at a particular activity

If the activity is to be FTF, well?

I post consistantly not to judge others by one's own personal standards ...

But Snoogs, isn't that, in effect, what you're doing? Saying everyone after your FTF is a loser is assuming everyone else is playing your game, is it not?

That's absurd. :laughing: I play MY game. I don't as$ume anyone is playing it but me. This is geocaching, not snooganscaching.

Everyone that wishes to make this into some kind of argument, please take a look at the OP. I'm not saying anything other than I leave a magnet behind with that motto on it when I'm FTF. Does anyone really think I consider myself a loser when I'm not FTF?

This really is getting entertaining. Please continue to rationalize how leaving a magnet I bought at a dollar store is an afront to everyone that finds a cache after I FTF it. I'm really interested to see if anyone can convince me I'm being a jerk for leaving it behind when I make a FTF. I'm open minded to logic and this HAS been entertaining so far. :laughing:

Now, does anyone else leave something special behind when they are FTF?

Edited by Snoogans

Everyone that wishes to make this into some kind of argument, please take a look at the OP. I'm not saying anything other than I leave a magnet behind with that motto on it when I'm FTF. Does anyone really think I consider myself a loser when I'm not FTF?

My immediate thought was, I like that. There is definitely an FTF competition in my area. I'm going to look for something similar to leave.

We have Sig items we put into caches, when they will fit.

Around here cannot leave much in a new cache, most (95%)of the new caches in the Sacramento area are about the size of a Bison tub or smaller. :laughing:

most hiders do not want to put any effort into hides.

95% is a lot! Made me wonder if micro-spew was for real there for a minute!

Just for fun I ran a PQ of 500 caches in Sacramento centered on GCXEG3.

Of the 500 caches 266 were other than micro. Maybe 95% micros is an exaggeration, just a little?

Dunno what my point is, exactly... it's just that assertions like yours always interest me! :laughing:

73 de W4AGA

In our local group, River Valley Geocachers, we used to have a King of the FTF. When you were FTF you were King until the next cache was placed. So the FTF online would start with King____ was FTF and they would post a note on the forum to taunt. So much like a King of the hill game it was fun to knock the king off his perch :laughing:

I believe it all started when HereFishyFishy beat me to one of my caches to grab the very fist yellow Jeep that came through. After that we seemed to be passing each other to and from new caches.

I think I am going to try and revive that tradition. Now all we need is some more new caches.

GEO.JOE

Early on in my cachin' career, I happened upon a refrigerator magnet, at a dollar store, that said, "Second Place is FIRST LOSER," and I bought up every one in the store. I haven't had too many FTF's, but my supply is down to two or three now. :laughing:

we definitely have a ftf races going on here. i'd love to find those magnets to put in caches!!! i'm 100% sure they would be taken in the spirit in which they would be intended & if not-too bad. i will have to go on a hunt! we have a lot of $stores here.

note to snoogs: if i find some i might be willing to share! :laughing:

Geocaching is not the first place I've seen the practice of taunting. For what it's worth, a little friendly ribbing is cool with me. It keeps the competition lively. If you left a note saying, "Hey Team LaLonde, you're effing losers!" then I might have a different opinion.

The following is a good example of unsportsmanlike taunting: During the Desert Storm campaign, the 101st Airborne Division had 'kill cards' they left after destroying enemy tanks. They resembled playing cards with the ace of spades on one side and a personified bulldog flexing a bicep on the other, with the message "101st Airborne, World's Largest Supplier of Used Tank Parts". They also had 'confirmed kill' stickers. I know this practice existed because I ran the presses that printed them - by the thousands.

That takes the 'neener, neener' thing to a whole new level.

If my geocaching experience led me to a card that called me a loser, then it would certainly take the joy out of the find. And worse yet, if it happens to be a newbie. What a way to be introduced to the game! It would make me think twice about joining such a group. You're not just giving a funny jab to your friends who understand the joke. You're calling every single person who visits that cache a loser. And no, I don't believe being even the 100th to find makes someone a loser. The point is finding the cache and enjoying the experience. Not playing keep up with the geo-joneses.

We have FTF races here in the Wyobraska area. It can get pretty heated with guys like StarBrand, Palser, Homicide133, myself, Kourbor74, sometimes Jaysrig, and even Mudblood Squad (driving over from Wyoming) all vying to be FTF. We like to rib each other mostly in the logs online (Palser's "my finger hurts from typing FTF) but also in the log books sometimes. Another cacher has actually written "I beat you tenacity" a couple of times in the log book, but I've never had a problem with it because it was all meant in fun.

I accidentally wrote the wrong date placed on one of the log books and cachers were writing FTF before placed, FTF after published, FTF after lunch, and FTF while the wind was blowing. Kind of fun to read. I think you just have to kind of know your area cachers and realize that it is all in fun.

As far as angst goes, I see nothing wrong with Snoogan's magnets. It is a joke meant for the STF if they are going for FTF, not for everyone who tries finding the cache. If you have that big of a problem, why not do what all nancyboys do and sue the owner instead of taking it as a joke meant for fun. That should solve everybody's problems. I mean it is a stinking magnet, some people get way too butt-hurt over silly little things. Hope that isn't the biggest problem in your life.

Edited by tenacityj

My, my. Considering your hissy fit, you're a little butt-hurt yourself. Relax, nancyboy. I hope a silly little thing like a forum post is not the biggest problem in your life.

Nope, much larger problems. My butt feels just fine (except the tingling sensation from sitting in front of the computer too long). I'm just putting in my two cents, I like to argue for fun sometimes. Sorry, the "hissy fit" wasn't meant for you. My log just happened to pop-up right after yours, I was wanting to defend Snoogans since he meant for the thread to be about fun little taunts and rivalries, not putting everyone else down. Hope I didn't offend you too much.

Edited by tenacityj

I remember it was great to get my first FTF under my belt, but it holds no great appeal now. Sure, I'll go for one now and again, because there's a part of me that wants to say "I was first", but I think that's my insecure side.

I usually leave a local cache for a few days to let a new cacher get a chance at their first FTF (but a distant established cacher usually comes by). There's something a bit desperate about traveling huge distances or going out in the dark purely for the FTF when you could be enjoying fantastic views in the daylight.

It shouldn't be a numbers game - though I guess it's only human nature!