Micro Logs..Using multiple lines instead of one

I have a micro that one of the finders used 16 lines to sign it. They signed it in large letters along the length of it. Should I dis-allow their log? I e-mailed them and mentioned that if they signed another of my Micro logs like that, that their log would be disallowed. Their e-mail response was for me to chill out cuz its just a game.

It's your cache, so you can disallow it if you want. But I wouldn't. He technically found the cache. To me it is minor enough not to get in a fight with a local cacher. It's too bad that he's not being respectful to you or your cache.

If you want to follow through with disallowing his logs for your other caches, then you need to specify that on your page. Something like, "This is a micro, so please log your name in the smallest possible way. I will delete logs if I find that you have not logged the cache in this way".

Edited by Ambrosia

It is aggravating to have to make numerous maintenance runs just cuz some knucklehead decided to ruin your log, but that is the price you pay when placing a cache. I can't see me ever deleting a log, for any reason, but then I'm not a confrontational type of person. I certainly wouldn't delete a log just cuz the finder inconvenienced me. Bottom line, it's your cache to do as you please, but your reaction to this person can reflect badly on you.

I have a micro that one of the finders used 16 lines to sign it. They signed it in large letters along the length of it. Should I dis-allow their log? I e-mailed them and mentioned that if they signed another of my Micro logs like that, that their log would be disallowed. Their e-mail response was for me to chill out cuz its just a game.

Before you ever delete a log, here is a question that you should ask yourself:

Is this issue important enough to start a war with another cacher (and his friends) over?

Should I dis-allow their log?

t would be awfully petty to delete a legit found it log because you don't like the size of his signature.

not only would it be petty, it would cause that person to post on the forums complaining because the owner of a geocache deleted his log because of his sig.

we allready have enough of those :anicute:

Should I dis-allow their log?

t would be awfully petty to delete a legit found it log because you don't like the size of his signature.

not only would it be petty, it would cause that person to post on the forums complaining because the owner of a geocache deleted his log because of his sig.

we allready have enough of those :anicute:

It could also cause that person to 1) delete any of your logs on his caches and/or 2) remove or destroy your caches.

Would you consider deleting MY log if this was YOUR cache?

6543588f-7ca6-48c1-b070-dce5f437acfe.jpg

3 no, 4 whole lines (my sister wrote over part of it) on the teeny micro log sheet. I'm such an inconsiderate bastage. ;)

I've never used only 1. That's about as small as my sig gets. :) It's supposed to look like this: a5e1880f-d5e2-429b-bb85-65599c8426f8.jpg

However, I looked at your caches and there is no mention of one line per finder logging rules, so you have no grounds to delete a legit find even if you were leaning in that direction.

Make a rule and post it on your cache page. Then you can delete the next person's legit find that uses more than one line. Of course, lots of people don't bother to read the page. :(

If you dont like doing cache maintenance, then DON'T hide micros, OR hide your caches in remote areas like I do. :)

Edited by Snoogans

I agree with the "chill out" reply. It IS just a game. You ARE right that 16 lines is a bit overkill, but still, I wouldn't sweat it. I hope we don't start being super strict like that. I have a very hard time writing small and usually take up about 3 lines when I sign a micro log. In my defense, I also carry around spare log books, pencils and plastic bags so I can perform emergency maintence if I happen upon a cache that needs a little TLC. I'm not a bad person! Please don't delete me! <_< Edited by swaninwa

Yep, that was rude of him. Micros are harder to maintain properly because the smaller logs fill up more quickly.

To get even with him, I recommend visiting all his regular-sized caches, and signing both the physical logbook and the online log with "TNLN, TFTC."

By responding in this fashion, the log that was too big will have its karma balanced out by the log that was too small. This balanced karma will then blossom elsewhere. Before you know it, we will have peace in the Middle East, disarmament on the Korean peninsula, and cross-site romances between Geocachers and Terracachers that would put "West Side Story" to shame.

It all begins with you, and it's an awesome responsibility. Don't blow it.

I feel the same frustration when I change out the log on my nano. I ask on the cache page an on each maintenance log for folks to just use their initial to log the cache. I had to change the log out twice in a week after a family found it and used 1/2 of the log to put all of their names, but I am not going to delete their logs because of it. I get frustrated and wish they would read the cache page, be respectful to my request or use some common since that taking up 2 inches of a 3 inch long log is too much. However, I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to change the log after about every 7 finds and when I am lucky 14 finds (thank you to those that do the right thing).

I feel that people are just overlooking the obvious when signing my cache and they are not being cruel or disrespectful. However I have seen where a person was logging in a way to just use up as much paper as they could.

They logged the cache like:

I

I found

I found this

I found this cache

I found this cache on

etc.

Until they had used up over a foot and a half of the log. Luckily the cache owner used a large roll of cash register tape and there was plenty of log for others to log on.

The person was rude and their response was snide but if you can just let it go and try to have fun. Don't let someone else take away your fun. I hope this is the last time you have a situation like this, unfortunately the next situation may be worse <_<

Joe

Frequent log replacement is part of micro cache ownership.

If you dont like doing cache maintenance, then DON'T hide micros...

I agree with both points, although I'll also agree that whoever signed it was inconsiderate. Unless of course, the "hook" theory above pans out.

Yep, that was rude of him. Micros are harder to maintain properly because the smaller logs fill up more quickly.

To get even with him, I recommend visiting all his regular-sized caches, and signing both the physical logbook and the online log with "TNLN, TFTC."

By responding in this fashion, the log that was too big will have its karma balanced out by the log that was too small. This balanced karma will then blossom elsewhere. Before you know it, we will have peace in the Middle East, disarmament on the Korean peninsula, and cross-site romances between Geocachers and Terracachers that would put "West Side Story" to shame.

It all begins with you, and it's an awesome responsibility. Don't blow it.

Ok But, we get to be the Sharks. They were way cooler than the Jets.

I have a hard time signing the log on micros, also. For some reason, when I try to write small, my handwriting gets very shaky. (Yes, this is the truth... and I have no idea why... just anxiety or something, I guess.) I haven't resorted to writing THAT big on a micro out of spite, though.......

Hmm... who was it that signed the Declaration of Independance "Big enough so those so and so's could read it"... wasn't that John Hancock? Well, he started the tradition.... blame him!

edit: I just found this info on a website.. it was John Hancock, and he was the first signer. His rationale for signing big? On signing the Declaration he commented, "The British ministry can read that name without spectacles; let them double their reward."

Malia

Edited by Moore9KSUcats

This thread is hilarious. Not that there is anything bad with the topic, I just get a kick out of the answers from other cachers.

I'm pretty good at signing a cache sheet with the tiniest print imaginable. But one thing I'm horrible at, is rolling that needle sized log back up, to stick back in the cache container. I think I may have ripped a few logs like that, but totally by accident. And of course I always mention that on the online log. But hey, thats one of the things you have to deal with when you need a magnifying glass to read the log :laughing:

Did you ask them on the cache page to just sign one line? I see that on small logs quite often and it's a fair request. But it's a request and not the law. Now if you want to make it the law then you can make a rule that says "I will delete all on line logs for anyone who uses more than one line to sign the log" Then it may be cheezy but you have given them warning. Naturally that would put you on the local knucklhead list of cachers who's caches to avoid.

The reality is it's not a big thing. They found the cache they signed the log, you told them that they took too much space and both of you can get on with life. Live and let live.

Seriously, I have known people who couldn't write in anything but a huge font if their lives depended on it. Unless they responded to your email with rude obscenities, there's always a chance that it was a legitimate disability of some sort, unless you really know them well enough to rule that out.

I always wished there could be some standardized minimum size available, because otherwise micro hiders could take it to a hyperbolic extreme.

A few lines... would be annoying, but SIXTEEN? I'd be a more than annoyed. Normally I'd drop it and just chalk it up to the guy is a jerk. But the way the guy's dimissive behavior, I'd delete his find and simply tell him "It's just a game". :)

I agree with the "chill out" reply. It IS just a game. You ARE right that 16 lines is a bit overkill, but still, I wouldn't sweat it. I hope we don't start being super strict like that. I have a very hard time writing small and usually take up about 3 lines when I sign a micro log. In my defense, I also carry around spare log books, pencils and plastic bags so I can perform emergency maintence if I happen upon a cache that needs a little TLC. I'm not a bad person! Please don't delete me! :D

I absolutely agree with that.

I looked at the log in the photo ... I'm going to give the cache owner a bit of sympathy. If you're reading this thread and haven't actually looked at the photo, you may want to do that. I also want to offer an alternate scenario.

I don't see the names that were signed across the length in the list of cachers who logged it online? Or at least, they didn't sign the online log with the same names as the ones written on the log.

Could it have been kids who found the cache and signed to show they were there? Non-cacher kids might do that and they wouldn't think about using the space wastefully since they have never replaced a log or been unable to sign a full one. Young kids on a first outing with a parent may have signed that way. Young hands really can't write small. If so, I'd be willing to bet that their parent saw the problem and plans to help them sign the next time they find a small log.

If it was an adult cacher, I agree that it was inconsiderate, perhaps even arrogant. As a cacher, I wouldn't want to squeeze my name in by theirs because I wouldn't want anyone to think I was with them. Cachers ought to do their part to help preserve the cache, too, after all. I'd like to think it wasn't done deliberately. If they couldn't sign smaller, that's one thing, but cache owners shouldn't have to do extra maintenence because someone wouldn't sign in a reasonable amount of space. And I say that after noticing that several people needed two or so lines--obviously, the fact that you aren't concerned about that shows that you are atempting to be reasonable.

So, if I were you, and I didn't know who wrote that, I would assume it was an innocent child, and let it go. That's the way to keep the blood pressure down. Besides, it's on this thread now, and everyone knows they did it :D

I'm always surprised about the serious and grave problems some geocachers have. Oh my god, somebody used more space than necessary to sign the log. Imagine what COULD have happened. I'm glad you walked away from that one unharmed.

I found a Cache once where all the finders logged with a black pen, but I used a blue one instead. Still feel guilty about it!

GermanSailor