TOMBSTONE CACHES

thabigbird

Because a cemetery cache could be a tradational, a multi, or a puzzle. If you were to add a special icon for cemetery caches they you would have to add three. Cemetery/puzzle, cemetery/traditional and cemetery/multi.

And what if the next person comes along and wants special icons for caches in parks, or caches that are underwater?

Because a cemetery cache could be a tradational, a multi, or a puzzle. If you were to add a special icon for cemetery caches they you would have to add three. Cemetery/puzzle, cemetery/traditional and cemetery/multi.

And what if the next person comes along and wants special icons for caches in parks, or caches that are underwater?

NO CAUSE THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF CEMETERYS AND LIKE EARTHCACHES YOU CAN DESCRIBE WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO LOG THE CACHE. PARKS AND OTHER CACHES ARE USUALLY HARDER TO FIND AND ARE NOT JUST LITTLE CACHES. CEMETERYS I FEEL THEY DESERVE THEIR OWN ICON

Edited by thabigbird

NO CAUSE THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF CEMETERYS AND LIKE EARTHCACHES YOU CAN DESCRIBE WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO LOG THE CACHE. 99% OF CEMETERYS ARE SO EASY MY 5 AND 6 YEAR OLD CAN DO.

PARKS AND OTHER CACHES ARE USUALLY HARDER TO FIND AND ARE NOT JUST LITTLE CACHES. CEMETERYS I FEEL THEY DESERVE THEIR OWN ICON

Caps off you are hurting my ears. :anitongue: You being in Indiana you should have no problem, since most are ISQ caches.

NO CAUSE THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF CEMETERYS AND LIKE EARTHCACHES YOU CAN DESCRIBE WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO LOG THE CACHE. 99% OF CEMETERYS ARE SO EASY MY 5 AND 6 YEAR OLD CAN DO.

PARKS AND OTHER CACHES ARE USUALLY HARDER TO FIND AND ARE NOT JUST LITTLE CACHES. CEMETERYS I FEEL THEY DESERVE THEIR OWN ICON

Caps off you are hurting my ears. :anitongue: You being in Indiana you should have no problem, since most are ISQ caches.

NO THEIR ARE TO MANY CEMETERYS CACHE THEY SHOULD JUST GET THEIR OWN ICON I DID NOT SAY I DIDN'T LIKE THEM JUST THEY SHOULD BE CATAGORY BY THEMSELVES

What you are missing is that Earthcaches, like multis, traditionals and puzzles are each unique types of caches.

Earthcaches have no actual container, multis have several and with puzzles there is nothing at the posted coordinates. A cemetery cache is not a unique cache type. An argument can be made for adding a cemetery attribute, but as a unique cache type, no way.

Icons are assigned to cache types, like Briansnat said. This page might be helpful. Click Here

YEAH I HAVE SEEN THAT PAGE JUST THOUGHT IT WOULD BE NEAT CAUSE THERE IS SO MANY.....

OOOOOOOOOOKKKKK

AIRMAPPER NEEDS TO FIND MORE CACHES TO UNDERSTAND THIS HIS FINDS ARE LOWER THAN MINE BUT THEN AGAIN HE SPENDS ALL HIS TIME ON THE COMPUTER WITH OVER 2000 POSTS. FIND SOME CACHES THEN TALK TO ME.....

AIRMAPPER NEEDS TO FIND MORE CACHES TO UNDERSTAND THIS HIS FINDS ARE LOWER THAN MINE BUT THEN AGAIN HE SPENDS ALL HIS TIME ON THE COMPUTER WITH OVER 2000 POSTS. FIND SOME CACHES THEN TALK TO ME.....

That is a quick way to "take a vacation from the forums." Insulting other cachers is not called for. Quit typing in all capital letters. This is considered shouting.

On a facetious note:

We need an Icon for "Lamppost Caches," because there are thousands of this type.

We need an Icon for "Lame Micros", because there are thousands of this type of cache also.

No new icon is needed.

Edited by Kit Fox

First off, you are receiving good advice from Airmapper and others who have posted to help you. The odds of getting a new cache type are near zero. The odds of getting a cache attribute are well north of zero.

Second, please turn off your ALLCAPS. It's considered to be "shouting" on the internet.

Third, please take a moment to read the Forum Guidelines that are linked from the top left of every page of the Groundspeak Forums. Note especially this phrase:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Many people have a lot of forum posts because they try to help in answering questions like yours.

New cachers often find a "type" of cache they like doing and want it to have its own icon. A special icon has suggested for cemetery caches, waterfall caches, night caches, historic caches, travel bug hotels, and most often for micro caches. The existing cache types exist for a reason. The fact that a cache is placed in certain location or has a certain size container or is intended to be found at night are different components of caches than the way type is used today. A better suggestion is to have an attribute for cemetery caches. Premium members can use Pocket Queries to find caches with certain attributes. Cemetery caches though have an additional issue. They are somewhat controversial. Some people feel that it inappropriate to play a game in a cemetery. This issue caused legislation to be proposed in at least on state to ban caches in cemeteries. It may be that TPTB would not want to call attention to cemetery caches by providing an attribute for them.

Edited by tozainamboku

First off, you are receiving good advice from Airmapper and others who have posted to help you. The odds of getting a new cache type are near zero. The odds of getting a cache attribute are well north of zero.

Second, please turn off your ALLCAPS. It's considered to be "shouting" on the internet.

Third, please take a moment to read the Forum Guidelines that are linked from the top left of every page of the Groundspeak Forums. Note especially this phrase:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

WELL PEOPLE DON'T HAVE TO BE A SMART YOU KNOW WHAT EITHER I HAVE SEEN THAT PAGE BEFORE. I was merly making a suggestion. I make comment and people go nuts (freedom of speech).

Icons are assigned to cache types, like Briansnat said. This page might be helpful. Click Here

YEAH I HAVE SEEN THAT PAGE JUST THOUGHT IT WOULD BE NEAT CAUSE THERE IS SO MANY.....

OOOOOOOOOOKKKKK

If it is a criteria, then I have way more finds than you. I say no.

I hope all of these cemetery caches have permission. Perhaps you should research the problems in South Carolina and the current ban in Tennessee and then come talk to us again. I am sure Airmapper knows all about the South Carolina issues.

New cachers often find a "type" of cache they like doing and want it to have its own icon. A special icon has suggested for cemetery caches, waterfall caches, night caches, historic caches, travel bug hotels, and most often for micro caches. The existing cache types exist for a reason. The fact that a cache is placed in certain location or has a certain size container or is intended to be found at night are different components of caches than the way type is used today. A better suggestion is to have an attribute for cemetery caches. Premium members can use Pocket Queries to find caches with certain attributes. Cemetery caches though have an additional issue. They are somewhat controversial. Some people feel that it inappropriate to play a game in a cemetery. This issue caused legislation to be proposed in at least on state to ban caches in cemeteries. It may be that TPTB would not want to call attention to cemetery caches by providing an attribute for them.

thank you that was a good reply I respect that and understand what your saying once again thank you

OOOOOOOOOOKKKKK

I hope all of these cemetery caches have permission. Perhaps you should research the problems in South Carolina and the current ban in Tennessee and then come talk to us again. I am sure Airmapper knows all about the South Carolina issues.

pin a rose on his nose. i just made a suggestion. I have seen that page before he was being a smart ***

That is a quick way to "take a vacation from the forums." Insulting other cachers is not called for. Quit typing in all capital letters. This is considered shouting.

On a facetious note:

We need an Icon for "Lamppost Caches," because there are thousands of this type.

We need an Icon for "Lame Micros", because there are thousands of this type of cache also.

No new icon is needed.

that is the way i type with my caps on.

pin a rose on his nose. i just made a suggestion. I have seen that page before he was being a smart ***

Read it. Profanity is not allowed in our forums. You have said twice that you have seen it. You should take the time to actually read it.

i did read it and i did not use profanity i blured it out

OOOOOOOOOOKKKKK

He was being very helpful, where did you get that he was being rude with that post?

Here's a suggestion that you can take as rude if you would like, although I would say it's being helpful as well: Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to watch the forums for a bit and get the feel for posting before you come and misjudge people. Believe me, if they are being rude to you, you will know it. Another suggestion would be to perhaps think about taking an interpersonal communications class very soon. :D

Edited by Ambrosia

Read it. Profanity is not allowed in our forums. You have said twice that you have seen it. You should take the time to actually read it.

why you have to be a wise guy for

OOOOOOOOOOKKKKK

just trying to defend myself

He was being very helpful, where did you get that he was being rude with that post?

Here's a suggestion that you can take as rude if you would like, although I would say it's being helpful as well: Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to watch the forums for a bit and get the feel for posting before you come and misjudge people. Believe me, if they are being rude to you, you will know it. Another suggestion would be to perhaps think about taking an interpersonal communications class very soon. :D

Other posters are free to carry on this discussion without further contributions from the OP. :D

And just when I was going to type that someone needs a time out my wish is granted. :D They do have those on Sesame Street don't they?

Back OT-I already use the tombstone icon for unavailable caches. I'd prefer that TPTB not accept the OP's suggestion.

And even though I have more finds than Mtn-man, he has more posts than me. So has does that matter? :D

But I think my cat can take his puppy. :D

And an attribute is a very different thing than an icon. My only concern is that folks might start using it when there is dead wildlife near the cache location as well. :D

Edited by wimseyguy

And an attribute is a very different thing than an icon. My only concern is that folks might start using it when there is dead wildlife near the cache location as well. :D

hm - in other words, potentially anywhere - perhaps I should turn it on in case there might be a dead critter in the woods near my caches

I know the OP is banned at least temporarily, but hopefully he'll see this reply.

I'm going to tell you a little story that recently happened to me. At the time I had somewhere around 530 finds. I went to an area event honestly expecting to have more finds than anybody else since I had just passed the most notable area cacher a week or so before. So I showed up at the event site, feeling all proud of myself, and the second person I talked to had about 300 more finds than I did. A short time later I chatted with a group of cachers, all 3 of them had at least 1000 more finds than I did and one in particular had about 5000 more than I do. Needless to say, I was knocked right off my high horse and it was a good character building experience.

Sometimes it pays to remember that no matter how many finds you have, somebody has more. I just did a quick check and your current find count pegs you at #7695 in the world...which means there are a lot of cachers out there that can overrule you using your method...about 7,694 to be exact.

I know the OP is banned at least temporarily, but hopefully he'll see this reply.

I'm going to tell you a little story that recently happened to me. At the time I had somewhere around 530 finds. I went to an area event honestly expecting to have more finds than anybody else since I had just passed the most notable area cacher a week or so before. So I showed up at the event site, feeling all proud of myself, and the second person I talked to had about 300 more finds than I did. A short time later I chatted with a group of cachers, all 3 of them had at least 1000 more finds than I did and one in particular had about 5000 more than I do. Needless to say, I was knocked right off my high horse and it was a good character building experience.

Sometimes it pays to remember that no matter how many finds you have, somebody has more. I just did a quick check and your current find count pegs you at #7695 in the world...which means there are a lot of cachers out there that can overrule you using your method...about 7,694 to be exact.

I was just making a comment cause he was being smart by putting that page up there. how did you find out the stats

you all talk a lot of crap when a man gets kicked off

Well, you sure dished some out while you were here.

Seriously, I didn't smart off to you or have any ill intent. Just trying to be helpful as I have many times before here. I don't feel I need to explain myself any further.

Sorry about taking it OT, but I think it's going that way already.

hm - in other words, potentially anywhere - perhaps I should turn it on in case there might be a dead critter in the woods near my caches

Hey there, don't give Keystone credit for my good idea. :D

And to answer the tangent-here's one place to see some cachers' numbers.

And I would type appropriate smack, with all due respect, whether or not the OP is in time out, and suspect most board regulars would too.

Welcome to the forums, have a nice day! :D

You have had one account put on time-out. Posting with your wife's/girlfriend's account after being put on time out is not tolerated either.

wimseyguy, puppymonster loves cats, even black ones.

jcy1bubbacouch.jpg

Edited by mtn-man

Well, you sure dished some out while you were here.

Seriously, I didn't smart off to you or have any ill intent. Just trying to be helpful as I have many times before here. I don't feel I need to explain myself any further.

Sorry about taking it OT, but I think it's going that way already.

thats cool, just took it the wrong way and it snowballed from there. after reading everyones comments i completely understand thanks for trying to help thats always greatful

this message approved by thabigbird

I think the defining issue in whether a new icon is needed would be distinction. Is there anything particularly different about hiding a film canister in a cemetery vs. hiding one in a small park? For me, the answer is "No". Maybe others feel differently. If the Cache Gods were to grant one more icon to the masses, my vote would be for night caches. As they stand now, they kinda fall into the puzzle cache category, but they are a world unto themselves, as compared to other types. Just $0.02 from an ol' fat guy.

I'm in favor of fewer cache types.

Why is there a letterbox hybrid? Most of these caches should be listed as multis since they are the offset variety where you would go to the posted coordinates and then use letterbox style clues to find the cache. But some are clealy traditional caches. Instead there should be an attribute for "this cache contains a stamp so it can also be used by letterboxers."

And while we are at it, we chould change the remaining Project A.P.E. caches to traditionals to avoid the long discussion of whether or not the people who adopted these caches should be allowed to archive them when they go missing.

Virtuals are already grandfathered type - otherwise I would say why have virtuals as a cache type since there was an option to specify the container size as virtual. There are virtuals that are multis and virtuals that are puzzle/unknown, so to me virtual is a container size. As for Earthcaches, I still think this is a Waymarking category. But so long as Geocaching has agreed to list them, I guess they may need their own type.

I find it interesting that one moderator says no more off topic posting and defines the topic, then another moderator posts off topic, then one of the banned accounts somehow posts again, then a personal attack is made against one of the banned posters and no comment made by mods.

The OP has asked for my help, but I can't defend his actions here. He was wrong-- he made a personal atteck on someone he perceived was being flippant, but was just being helpful, but flaming the OP now that he's gone is wrong also.

I've cached with them both and they are dedicated geocachers and good people. He just let his enthusiasm get the best of him. He is giving back to the community by hiding themed caches, which a few high numbers cachers around here don't do very well. I have been mercilessly ripped to shreds by personal attacks in the forums and the flamers admonished but not banned to my knowledge, nor would I want them to be. Maybe they were warned and I didn't know about it. Some apologized online...anyway---

Personally I don't think we need icons or attributes for graveyards, because icons denote cache type and attributes denote cache conditions/surroundings. But if there was a third category of identification, that classified caches as cemetery, park, walk in the woods, adventure hiking,lampost, urban, etc. that might be helpful. Some cache pages have little or no description or attributes. ..Just my two cents worth.

Wish me luck --I go after #900 in the morning!!!!!

...Personally I don't think we need icons or attributes for graveyards, because icons denote cache type and attributes denote cache conditions/surroundings. ...
Wouldn't this be the argument for the creation of an attribute? Many people don't like cemetary caches because they are in a cemetary. There surroundings are 'cemetary'. Having an attribute would allow people to sort these types of caches in or out in the same manner that they do with scuba caches. Edited by sbell111

Wouldn't this be the argument for the creation of an attribute? Many people don't like cemetary caches because they are in a cemetary. There surroundings are 'cemetary'. Having an attribute would allow people to sort these types of caches in or out in the same manner that they do with scuba caches.

Yes, I can agree with that, but maybe not the level of an attribute. Cemetaries, I feel should not have their own icon, but should be clearly represented on cache pages. We don't actually prefer cemetary caches, and getting there and finding out it is one is just a waste of time.

Edited by Natureboy56
...Personally I don't think we need icons or attributes for graveyards, because icons denote cache type and attributes denote cache conditions/surroundings. ...
Wouldn't this be the argument for the creation of an attribute? Many people don't like cemetary caches because they are in a cemetary. There surroundings are 'cemetary'. Having an attribute would allow people to sort these types of caches in or out in the same manner that they do with scuba caches.

And then you'd have to do the same for lampposts, state parks, guard rails and Cracker Barrels. There's got to be an easier way to ignore caches you don't want to do.

Bret

Airmapper, thanks from the bottom of my heart for all the helpful advice that you give to people. I have been enlightened by some of the things that you have said in the past and I feel that you need a thankful post from someone :D

Keep up the good work.

OT, I don't really care about tombstone icons or attributes so I am sorry for an off-topic post. I think that if their was to be a new icon, then people are going to want new icons for other things like Lampposts, and underwater. Basically stuff that has been covered here in this thread before....but I guess the brunt of what I want to get visual of is the list of useless icons that would pop up, and it would soon look like the geocoin icons look now. Nothing wrong with them....their is just alot.