TOMBSTONE CACHES

thabigbird

I think there should be a cemetary attribute too.

Personally, I find cemetary caches to be offensive and disrespectful.

I don't like them, and don't do them, but I've ended up at them before because people won't say what they are in the description. I'd filter them out if there was an attribute. there's plenty of less useful attributes which could be replaced.

My only issue with cemetery caches (and remember, there are no A's buried in cemeteries) is that they are usually too easy to be a satisfactory challenge. I have absolutely no compunction about visiting a cemetery - there is nothing disrespectful about visiting the dead.

My only issue with cemetery caches (and remember, there are no A's buried in cemeteries) is that they are usually too easy to be a satisfactory challenge. I have absolutely no compunction about visiting a cemetery - there is nothing disrespectful about visiting the dead.

If you don't like caches that are too easy, you should be able to simple filter the easy cachse out in your PQs.

WELL PEOPLE DON'T HAVE TO BE A SMART YOU KNOW WHAT EITHER I HAVE SEEN THAT PAGE BEFORE. I was merly making a suggestion. I make comment and people go nuts (freedom of speech).

This strikes me a little like going into someone's yard and poking the dog with a stick, then being suprised when the dog bites you.

You came in here, and posted a topic which has been brought up before, and posted in all caps. Neither of which are terrible sins, but both are things that are frowned upon by the public here.

Then where people... repeatedly... told you to turn off the caps lock, you didn't. That's really frowned upon.

When people told you... repeatedly... that you cemetaries were NOT a different cache type, you ignored it.

Finally, you insulted a fellow poster saying that they lacked the experience to comment on something. That's a BIG no no.

It's not suprising at all that people get a little hostile about your actions. And, just for the record, Freedom of Speech means that the government can't punish you for your comments. It has no bearing on what a private company (ie, Groundspeak) can or can't do with their private forums.

In software whether web based or for use on your own computers I have always appreciated an advanced and intelligently designed search function. Take Google for example (And it ain't 'dat great of an advanced search function): you can type in a word or phrase and hit enter, then it may give you options to refine your search (As in the cases of looking up things like a prescription drug), or one can go to Advanced Search.

Maybe that would be beneficial for those wanting to filter in or out every conceivable type of cache that is out there. On a web search it could be an easy feature of using radio buttons to weed through what one likes or doesn't like to be included while searching for caches to add to the hunt list.

I have been looking around at the different search options because I wanted to find a specific type of cache and couldn't. No big deal since it is just caching, but the technology is available.

The problems would come not in developing the software, but in adding attributes to all of the established caches. Each cache owner would have to redo there cache listings. Not too much of a problem if a notice goes out that your cache will be disabled after X number of days until its owner re-categorizes it. Then if an attribute is added later then the process would repeat. Then there would be the issue of caches being mis-categorized. I could go on and on.

We could discuss all of the pros and cons until the cows come home. Excuse me someone's at the door . . .Ahhh, it's a cow. And she says she wants a pasture attribute so cachers will know not to wear patent leather shoes when hunting for her caches. :laughing:

In software whether web based or for use on your own computers I have always appreciated an advanced and intelligently designed search function. Take Google for example (And it ain't 'dat great of an advanced search function): you can type in a word or phrase and hit enter, then it may give you options to refine your search (As in the cases of looking up things like a prescription drug), or one can go to Advanced Search.

Maybe that would be beneficial for those wanting to filter in or out every conceivable type of cache that is out there. On a web search it could be an easy feature of using radio buttons to weed through what one likes or doesn't like to be included while searching for caches to add to the hunt list.

I have been looking around at the different search options because I wanted to find a specific type of cache and couldn't. No big deal since it is just caching, but the technology is available.

The problems would come not in developing the software, but in adding attributes to all of the established caches. Each cache owner would have to redo there cache listings. Not too much of a problem if a notice goes out that your cache will be disabled after X number of days until its owner re-categorizes it. Then if an attribute is added later then the process would repeat. Then there would be the issue of caches being mis-categorized. I could go on and on.

We could discuss all of the pros and cons until the cows come home. Excuse me someone's at the door . . .Ahhh, it's a cow. And she says she wants a pasture attribute so cachers will know not to wear patent leather shoes when hunting for her caches. :laughing:

Luckily, attributes already exist and are searchable using pocket queries. They are not mandatory, so they are not perfectly searchable, but it is a start. There is not an attribute for every possible situation, since this would end up being completely unworkable in practice.

Interestingly (or not), there is a 'watch for livestock' attribute that looks like a cow and is frequently used if you have to cross a pasture.

If sbell111 were to read this thread, he'd probably have a cow.

cow-yes.gif

I am on the fence regarding an attribute for cemetery caches. Coyote Red alludes to good reasons why we shouldn't call extra attention to them. Most of the time, one can tell if it's a cemetery cache by reading the cache page or even just the cache title.

I am on the fence regarding an attribute for cemetery caches. Coyote Red alludes to good reasons why we shouldn't call extra attention to them. Most of the time, one can tell if it's a cemetery cache by reading the cache page or even just the cache title.

Good point from Coyote Red....and I agree...more often than not you can spot a cemetery cache just by the cache page/title...and chances are if you're weeding out easy terrain caches you'll catch most of the cemeteries out there too.

If sbell111 were to read this thread, he'd probably have a cow.

cow-yes.gif

Of course, you could always use the "Zombies/No Zombies" attribute instead. zombie-no.gif

Bret

Just a thought too, if there was an attribute, how far away from the actually cemetery would people get before they didn't use the attribute anymore? Would it just be for caches directly in the cemetery, or for caches right next to the cemetery (like on the other side of the fence, etc), or farther?

Around here, the cemetery hides tend to be just next to the cemetery, in bigger containters sometimes even. If it's able to be done, then we do it to avoid any angst. That way people are brought to the cemetery but don't have to feel like they are invading it (and they can get that bigger cache too).

I personally love cemetery caches and seek them out. I don't care if they are easier, one of the biggest reasons I cache is for history and finding neat places. Perhaps that's why I like Waymarking so much. :laughing:

I'm not saying that we should get an attribute, because I'm not sure if that's the best solution. I defer to others who know more about that than me. But if there was a way to easily search or sort for by cemeteries I would definitely use it. :laughing:

-Amber

Edited by Ambrosia

It must be great to live in an area that is so cache dense, that you can search and edit out types you don't like before going out. Around here, we check the site each morning, then if a new one pops up, we make plans to get it... Except for the noobs, they have a lot to choose from, I guess. :laughing:

So, I hate to bring up a sore topic, but in the quest for knowledge... what are the issues with cemeteries in SC and Tennesee? Sorrry, but just hadn't heard about that before.

Here in TX, at least my part of TX, there's not a lot of geographically interesting areas... so we end up with quite a few cemetery caches. I have no problem with them in theory, but tend to get bored as most are micros and don't lead me to anything interesting (usually)... That said, they were a great break from driving during our Thanksgiving trip and even brought us to one of the graves of Billy the Kid!

I'm indifferent to the attribute thing... I've found a few good caches in cemeteries and I've found some miserable ones... So, I really don't think I would use an attribute to filter them out or seek them out either. But, there are sure to be history buffs who would love to find some hidden places... I could see it go either way really. If TPTB were interested, they could do a trial run in maybe one specific state and see how much it was used/abused... whatever.

So, I hate to bring up a sore topic, but in the quest for knowledge... what are the issues with cemeteries in SC and Tennesee?

Someone put out a cache that required you to shine a blacklight on a tombstone at night by painting something on it with special paint, some other cemeteries were vandalized (by people that probably weren't cachers), etc., and a S.C. legislator heard about it. She decided she needed to be the one to save the day by completely banning geocaching in any historical site in the state (which is a large part of S.C.). She raised quite a stink and I think never got what she wanted.

I'm sure others will be able to give you more details, or you could search the forums for "cemetery banned historical" or something like that and find lots of the story.

So, I hate to bring up a sore topic, but in the quest for knowledge... what are the issues with cemeteries in SC and Tennesee? Sorrry, but just hadn't heard about that before.

As posted by a Tennessee Reviewer onto our local Forum for the Kentucky-Tennessee Area Geocachers:

Tennessee Cemetery & Burial Site Laws

Statutory Laws

(Tennessee Code Annotated)

Title 46. Cemeteries

46-2-105. Crimes and offenses

No person shall willfully destroy, deface, or injure any monument, tomb, gravestone, or other structure placed in the cemetery, or any roadway, walk, fence or enclosure in or around the same, or injure any tree, plant or shrub therein, or hunt or shoot therein, play at any game or amusement therein, or loiter for lascivious or lewd purposes therein, or interfere, by words or actions, with any funeral procession or any religious exercises.

(:ph34r: A violation of this section is a Class E felony. ,

Class E Felony 1 to 6 years $3,000

I hate to see them go, as I've done many great cemetery caches in TN. According to this however, we are now lumped in with criminal hooligans there for destructive or disturbing reasons. I doubt Geocaching itself was the motive behind the law, but it still falls into that category, and Reviewers cannot publish new caches within Tennessee cemeteries.

As posted by a Tennessee Reviewer onto our local Forum for the Kentucky-Tennessee Area Geocachers:

Statutory Laws

Title 46. Cemeteries

No person shall willfully destroy, deface, or injure any monument, tomb, gravestone, or other structure placed in the cemetery, or any roadway, walk, fence or enclosure in or around the same, or injure any tree, plant or shrub therein, or hunt or shoot therein, play at any game or amusement therein, or loiter for lascivious or lewd purposes therein, or interfere, by words or actions, with any funeral procession or any religious exercises.

I hate to see them go, as I've done many great cemetery caches in TN. According to this however, we are now lumped in with criminal hooligans there for destructive or disturbing reasons. I doubt Geocaching itself was the motive behind the law, but it still falls into that category, and Reviewers cannot publish new caches within Tennessee cemeteries.

Sometimes while visiting a local older cemetary (the kind the markers aren't flush with the ground like with the new ones) my kids would engage in what I thought was a harmless game of hide-and-go-seek while I tended to my families' graves.... so now in Tennessee according to this, they would now be criminals?

Statutory Laws

Title 46. Cemeteries

Sometimes while visiting a local older cemetary (the kind the markers aren't flush with the ground like with the new ones) my kids would engage in what I thought was a harmless game of hide-and-go-seek while I tended to my families' graves.... so now in Tennessee according to this, they would now be criminals?

There is absolutely no way this could be enforced fairly and appropriately. "No running" maybe. "No ball playing". Even "no geocaching" would be enforceable (lame, since geocaching requires permission, but enforceable) But no "game" or "amusement" is just a loose ended way for law enforcement to make you stop doing anything they don't like, without any limitation or stipulation. Twiddling your thumbs could be considered a game. Singing a song or writing a poem at a gravesite could certainly be considered amusement. This law will undoubtedly be used arbitrarily and unfairly until it is finally challenged and reworded.

Edited by Cache Heads

Statutory Laws

Title 46. Cemeteries

(:laughing: A violation of this section is a Class E felony. ,

If anyone out their currently has a cemetery cache hidden in Tennessee...be aware that you don't need to go out their on your next possible trip and pick up your caches! The current active caches are grandfathered.

pin a rose on his nose. i just made a suggestion. I have seen that page before he was being a smart ***

No your not, you're shoving it down our throats!. Now how about you take a Valium and do something else with your life.

Edited by mrking

If you don't like caches that are too easy, you should be able to simple filter the easy cachse out in your PQs.

that was not a complaint about seeing listings for easy caches - I can deal with that fine, thanks

that was not a complaint about seeing listings for easy caches - I can deal with that fine, thanks

My mistake.

When you stated that your issue with cemetery caches is that they are usually too easy to be a satisfactory challenge, I took that to mean that you didn't like caches that were too easy and that you had an issue with cemetery caches specifically because they tended to fit this description (since that is what you actually posted). I was trying to be helpful and give you a way to not be bothered by caches that you had an issue with.

Edited by sbell111

I don't want to get caught up in the bickering here, but I wanted to put in my 2 cents on the topic. In Indiana, SixDogTeam has hundreds of wonderfully educational cemetery caches. He denotes them in the cache title with an ISQ as indentifier. It stands for Indiana spirit quest. In Northwest Ohio, where I live there are SQ's for Spirit Quest. North into Michigan there are MSQ's for Michigan Sqirit Quests. From this you can immediately see they are in a cemetery or memorial garden. If you don't like that type than don't go. If you do like them, then go. It is simple, and it does not require GC to change a thing.

I don't want to get caught up in the bickering here, but I wanted to put in my 2 cents on the topic. In Indiana, SixDogTeam has hundreds of wonderfully educational cemetery caches. He denotes them in the cache title with an ISQ as indentifier. It stands for Indiana spirit quest. In Northwest Ohio, where I live there are SQ's for Spirit Quest. North into Michigan there are MSQ's for Michigan Sqirit Quests. From this you can immediately see they are in a cemetery or memorial garden. If you don't like that type than don't go. If you do like them, then go. It is simple, and it does not require GC to change a thing.

I'm reluctant to support a cemetery attribute simply because of issues in certain states. Now, I'm not one who usually cares about whether or not I'm offending someone, so me personally I probably wouldn't mind having the attribute. However, if I were in the shoes of TPTB, I would probably be hesitant to add something that "may" be considered a slap in the face to those who are against cemetery caches (although the attribute works both ways: allows you to find cemetery caches or ignore them). They have to watch out for the game of geocaching as it affects everyone. If adding this attribute is something they think might jeopardize the future of caching, then I respect that.

Anyway, Scouter Joe brings up a great point and I wanted to share a quick suggestion for those in the Indiana, Michigan, Ohio area. If you use GSAK you can actually run a filter on your database of caches where the name of the cache begins with "ISQ" or contains "SQ". Obviously it won't catch everything and you'll probably have to play around with the filter to get the most accurate results, but it works. My folks are in NW Ohio right near the border of Indiana and they enjoy a peaceful, quiet, respectful, muggle-free cache in a cemetery. I used this GSAK filter concept when planning an all day (during daylight hours only) caching trip of some ISQ caches during a trip back home to visit my parents and it worked very well. Unfortunately we weren't able to do the caching, but I'm looking forward to it sometime.

Maybe this Spirit Quest concept will catch on in other areas around the world. Come to think of it has anyone from outside of the U.S. chimed in on this? I would just be curious to know whether or not this type of hide is popular in other areas as well.

NOTE: As another idea for those in that tri-state area most (probably all) of the Indiana Spirit Quest caches are on a public bookmark list which a premium member can quickly turn into a PQ.

Jared of AZBliss02

In the central and western Ohio area, there are a good number of cemetery caches whose names begin with "SH" for "Spirit Hunt".

Sorry to make things more complicated. :huh:

--Larry

Spirit Hunt...Spirit Quest....It's all good. The idea is that it's an easy distinguisher. Why expect GC to do everything? If you are placing caches, take some personal responsibility. It works well.