Apology

One day while traveling I came across a trade he did. He had dropped his compass on the ground and broke it. The fluid leaked out and he traded it for a new compass in a cache. Then he wrote about the trade. I traded for the broken compass and learned that he was going to an event. I wore the compass like a medallion to the event just to make a point.

A friend of mine asked me about it, got the story, said yeah I know what you mean but why don’t you put that in your pocket and wait and see. So I did. He showed up and brought Dutch oven desert, made a point to say hello, knew me from my logs and was happy to see me. Turns out this guy would give you the shirt off his back. If I called tomorrow and said “I’ll be in town” he would invite me to his place to stay, take a day and go caching with me even though he’s found everything in his area.

Putting that compass in my pocket was the smartest thing I did all day. I discretely dropped it in the trash when nobody was looking. The only SOB in the story was me. My friend was right, and this cacher is ok. You just have to know the guy to understand why. He still does annoying things like sweep up all the travel bugs in the area to put in his hotel, but now I know why and knowing makes all the difference. Geocaching and us cachers have become an important part of his life. He’s trying his best to do the right thing.

I thought this was very well said and wanted to comment on it in the other topic, but I didn't make it in "before for the lock".

I have to wonder if things would have gotten to this point if the antagonists had a chance to meet each other when "the compass was still the pocket"?

Apology accepted here. Thanks!

Having read at least one posted email that did cross the line I think posting it was fair game.

When a private email doesn't matter much in the scheme of things or would only embarasse people that don't deserve it. By all means keep them under wraps. If posting it would save someone from placing their trust in someone undeserving by all means shed some light on the issue and help out your fellow man.

Well darn, i was doing this new fangled thing called geocaching today and missed whatever your apology was about. :ph34r:

Seriously! I mean, I leave off reading the forums for just ONE day, and look what happens! Don't make me come over there and take away your :anicute: and :laughing:!

Darnit, now I'm hungry. :ph34r:

Well darn, i was doing this new fangled thing called geocaching today and missed whatever your apology was about. :anicute:

Seriously! I mean, I leave off reading the forums for just ONE day, and look what happens! Don't make me come over there and take away your :laughing: and :ph34r:!

Darnit, now I'm hungry. :ph34r:

Heck, I went to a meeting for an hour and missed it.

I hear the Religious themed cache bus is still loading passengers.

They all seem to be pretty sleepy this morning. Could be a quieter ride than expected.

Of course, there's some weirdo pushing sweet potato recipe tracts there. That might cause someone to go on a shooting spree.

Or maybe folks in general don't share my opinion about sweet potatoes?

I hear the Religious themed cache bus is still loading passengers.

They all seem to be pretty sleepy this morning. Could be a quieter ride than expected.

Of course, there's some weirdo pushing sweet potato recipe tracts there. That might cause someone to go on a shooting spree.

Or maybe folks in general don't share my opinion about sweet potatoes?

Uhmmm I hate to tell you this, but I requested and was sent several of those sweet potato recipe tracts from that weirdo.

Appology accepted, but ya know sometimes ya gotta do, what ya gotta do. Especially if someone is trying to pull the wool over everyones eyes.

:laughing: WCNUT & Tater :ph34r:

I wonder if that exact comment could have been used in the other thread...

Either way, let's shut this one down, also. Apology was given and mostly accepted. There's nothing else to see and it's not actually geocaching-related.

Let's get back on topic. I don't want to have to apologize for shutting down this thread.

Darn, I was going for the world record for most threads derailed at the same time with the same off topic topic. :laughing:

It's all part of my plot to promote vegetables masquerading as religious apologies. :ph34r:

Edited by wimseyguy