Splodge

drsolly

It was 4pm and about to get dark, so we'd pretty much finished for the day's caching, walking from Hemel to Berko along the canal. When suddenly ....

A tree dripped onto the Mio 550. And some of it got inside the screen, giving a spreading splodge, which meant that I can no longer tap on the screen, which means an end to the day's caching.

So, we decided to catch a bus back to the car. Walked down the lane, missed the bus by seconds, and the next one is an hour later. Pfui. So we decided to walk on to Berko station, and the shortest way is along the towpath (we also had an OS map). So, ankling along the towpath, after a mile or so, ladysolly suddenly went down. She'd been trying to walk and mapread at the same time, and a branch reached out into the towpath and tripped her over, and she was too far in front for me to do anything, except to catch up and help her stand. This is the third time she's gone down while we're out walking, in the last few months. Fortunately, she's not got far to fall, and she didn't do any damage, apart from a bit of a scrape. So we limped on (well, one of us limped) to Berko, got a taxi back to the car, and went home.

But the day was a success; we've broken our record of caches per day. Seven! Yes, I know that's something that many cachers will do in less than an hour, but it's a milestone for us.

I've got the Mio on the hot end of a computer now, hoping that when it dries out (if it dries out), it will return to usability.

Anyone got any recommendations for waterproofing a PDA in such a way that you can continue to use it without geetting it out of the waterproof?

I got caught unprepared for heavy rain (halfway to a cache and just had to keep going) where I got thoroughly drenched along with my PDA. :D After it dried out it still worked but he back light does not which makes it difficult to read especially at night but gives me the opportunity to upgrade it. ;)

It was 4pm and about to get dark, so we'd pretty much finished for the day's caching, walking from Hemel to Berko along the canal. When suddenly ....

A tree dripped onto the Mio 550. And some of it got inside the screen, giving a spreading splodge, which meant that I can no longer tap on the screen, which means an end to the day's caching.

So, we decided to catch a bus back to the car. Walked down the lane, missed the bus by seconds, and the next one is an hour later. Pfui. So we decided to walk on to Berko station, and the shortest way is along the towpath (we also had an OS map). So, ankling along the towpath, after a mile or so, ladysolly suddenly went down. She'd been trying to walk and mapread at the same time, and a branch reached out into the towpath and tripped her over, and she was too far in front for me to do anything, except to catch up and help her stand. This is the third time she's gone down while we're out walking, in the last few months. Fortunately, she's not got far to fall, and she didn't do any damage, apart from a bit of a scrape. So we limped on (well, one of us limped) to Berko, got a taxi back to the car, and went home.

But the day was a success; we've broken our record of caches per day. Seven! Yes, I know that's something that many cachers will do in less than an hour, but it's a milestone for us.

I've got the Mio on the hot end of a computer now, hoping that when it dries out (if it dries out), it will return to usability.

Anyone got any recommendations for waterproofing a PDA in such a way that you can continue to use it without geetting it out of the waterproof?

Clingfilm...

I currently use a HP version of the otterbox for my HP iPAQ. Although it does work very well at keeping it dry and does give it quite a bit of physical protection, I do find that it is rather bulky and a bit of a pain to keep removing it to put it back in the car cradle to use with TomTom to get to the next cache. I am now considering the purchase of a more convenient Aquapak, this is then more likely to get used!!

Otterbox 1900, will keep your PDA dry as a bone even when you're soaking wet.

I smashed the screen on an XDA when i fell over caching. Nothing serious just a trip with the XDA in my pocket with the screen facing outwards, Small stone must have hit it.

Wondering if the only otter that provides hard screen protection is the 3600 (i can see it has a solid flap that can be lifted to do tocuh screen. Anyone got one or seen one and able to comment?

Cheers

C

Wondering if the only otter that provides hard screen protection is the 3600 (i can see it has a solid flap that can be lifted to do tocuh screen. Anyone got one or seen one and able to comment?

I guess you then have to be sure you have the solid flap closed when you drop it, or is it spring loaded like Arkwrights Till in 'Open all hours' :blink:

I considered the 3600 when I bought a otter box for my Ipaq 5450 - opted for the 2600 in the end as it was smaller (and cheaper).

Jon

Progress report.

I've ordered an Otter 2600 and an Aquapac (ladysolly will use one, I'll use the other).

The splodge, which was covering the entire screen (actually, I think there's two screens, with a very narrow space between them, and the water capillaried into there, which means it's going to take for ever to dry out), is now about 5% smaller, so I'm feeling slightly optimistic. I have it on top of the power supply of a computer that runs hottishly.

I've also ordered a battery extender - it takes 4*AA and connects to the mio USB port. That's an insurance against running out while in the field. I'm carrying spare batteries anyhow for the camera.

Just to make my life complete, I've had two of my servers go down, and recovering from that will keep me off caching for a couple of days anyway, so the Mio being out of action is currently no problem.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

I just bought one of these off ebay and I must admit I am a bit disappointed with it :blink:

Basically it seals the PDA into its shell and the only thing one can do with it is tap the screen. This makes it virtually unuseable in the field, as it can't be turned on and off without removing the PDA from the shell, which is a rather lengthy and bitty process. There was no lanyward or external prodderer thing supplied either.

Having said that if I dropped it from 6' or fell into a river or a lake I am sure it would do the business!

Jon

I just bought one of these off ebay and I must admit I am a bit disappointed with it :blink:

Basically it seals the PDA into its shell and the only thing one can do with it is tap the screen. This makes it virtually unuseable in the field, as it can't be turned on and off without removing the PDA from the shell, which is a rather lengthy and bitty process. There was no lanyward or external prodderer thing supplied either.

What device are you using with it? Certainly with the IPAQ 5450 all the buttons, on the front (including the power) are fully usable. The only things you do not have access to are the side mounted volume/recording buttons and the reset hole in the base.

Otterbox have a big compatability chart on their webpage with all the information on any limitations the cases impose.

Jon

What device are you using with it? Certainly with the IPAQ 5450 all the buttons, on the front (including the power) are fully usable. The only things you do not have access to are the side mounted volume/recording buttons and the reset hole in the base.

Otterbox have a big compatability chart on their webpage with all the information on any limitations the cases impose.

Jon

So should be OK with my 5550 then.

Yup... should be - as long as you are Bluetooth connected for the GPS feed and don't have an external battery pack... I'd recommend getting a spare stylus as well - you are supposed to use the original Ipaq one with the Otterbox, but I've lost count of the number of times I've sealed it up and forgot to remove it from the Ipaq first and put into the holder on the Otterbox :blink: doh!

Jon

Get the freeware app "psShutXP" for the PocketPC to get an icon on the Today screen to turn the device off.

Yep, tried that. Can't get it to run on the O2 exec... but then it can't turn it on again anyway :blink:

Jon

Pressing any hardware button turns on the device, I don't turn mine off, I just use a combination of Backlight settings and config a button to toggle the screen. I don't want to power off as I want to preserve the bluetooth link to my gps.

Yup... should be - as long as you are Bluetooth connected for the GPS feed and don't have an external battery pack... I'd recommend getting a spare stylus as well - you are supposed to use the original Ipaq one with the Otterbox, but I've lost count of the number of times I've sealed it up and forgot to remove it from the Ipaq first and put into the holder on the Otterbox :blink: doh!

Jon

Sounds good.

I knew I had a load of spare stylii (???) floating about in the ashtray for some reason :laughing:

Off to a good start.

Otterbox turned up today. Not bad, only ordered it the night before last.

Ipaq fits fine, with all buttons except the volume control (don't use it anyway) and reset being accessible (could be an issue).

Just need an excuse to get out and drop it in a puddle now !!!

Anybody know if an otterbox will fit the 3950 with 1 port CF sleve and CF GPSr will fit or will the extention be needed for the ipaq and GPSr

Currentley using a waterproof case simular to the aquapaq.

Adrian.

Off to a good start.

Ipaq fits fine, with all buttons except the volume control (don't use it anyway) and reset being accessible (could be an issue).

Anybody know if an otterbox will fit the 3950 with 1 port CF sleve and CF GPSr will fit or will the extention be needed for the ipaq and GPSr

Currentley using a waterproof case simular to the aquapaq.

Adrian.

If the expansion pack is less than about 10mm thick it should fit in a 2600. Otterboxes comes with various thickness foam pads to put behind the PDA to ensure a tight fit. With my 5550 in a 2600, I use two of the 6 mm pads. There is one that comes with it that is only 3mm thick.

As for a CF GPSr - nope, not enough room, certainly not for the CF GPSr units I've seen.

The only Otter Box that has deep expandability is the 3600, but then you're going to end up with an enormous box. If you have a look around on the Otterbox PDA pages you'll find all the internal and external dimensions.

Hope this helps.

Edited by CrazyL200

Splodge update

It's six days since the splodge hit my GPSr, and most of it has evavorated. But there's a fingertip-sized splodge still on the screen, and it's been like that for a few days now. I've put it on the very warm computer, I've tried aiming an anglepoise lamp at it to give it some extra heat on the splodge, and I've blasted it with the hairdrier, but the splodge remains. And the existence of the splodge means that tapping the screen doesn't have any effect.

So now I've done a partial dismantle, and I'm hoping that this will help the moisture evaporate.

But I've also started to think about replacing it :laughing:

what worked for me was removing the battery pack and having it face down resting on a thin book on the radiator. dried out overnight that way. if there is no where for the moisture to escape from then all it will do is re condense back inside the case.

good luck

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I'd already taken off the back. Th problem is, though, the splodge is between the two screens, and although I'm giving it lots of dry heat, the last quarter square inch, isn't evaporating. I suppose it will eventually. Patience is a virtue.

I've learned an important lesson here. Even after it's finished raining, things drip. And if a huge drip lands on your screen, you should shake it off immediately, before it can get inside, instead of watching fascinated as it oozes in, like I did. Even better, get an Aquapac. I used one today in the rain, and it gives very little interference with the use of a PDA. It claims it'll float in water, and I haven't tried that out, but it certainly keeps off rain and drips.

So here I am, 14 days post-splodging, and there's still a small stubborn splodge on the screen, about 1/4 inch square and I'm thinking that it isn't getting any smaller.

So at this point, I'm guessing a bit - there's two screens, very close together, and when you touch the screen to indicate a tap, pressing them closer is what is detected, somehow. And right now, that is *not* being detected, and I'm thinking that it's the small residual splodge that is the reason.

I've tried a reasonable amount of heat on it for several days, but that seems to have no effect at all on the small remaining splodge. So, I'm thinking that it's sort of sealed in by the two screens. When I started, the whole area between the screens was wet, but now I just have this small splodge.

My current thinking is to use pure isopropyl alcohol, and to put an alcohol splodge on the screen, in the hope that it will sort of dissolve and get rid of the water splodge.

But first - I thought, maybe what I'm aiming to do here, is lift and separate the two screens. And what better to lift-and-separate (no sniggering please) than a lump of Blutack. Squidge the Blutack onto the screen, then pull it upwards, hopefully lifting the upper screen off the lower one.

So I tried it. It worked!

Unless I touch the place where the remaining splodge was, and then I have to re-Blutack it. So now I've got the screens separated, I've put the PDA back on the heated place, in the hope that I'm not going to need to carry an emergency lump of Blutack as part of standard equipment.

By the way, the Aquapac is really excellent, and I thoroughly recommend it. If only I'd had the sense to use it before.

Otterbox 1900, will keep your PDA dry as a bone even when you're soaking wet.

I smashed the screen on an XDA when i fell over caching. Nothing serious just a trip with the XDA in my pocket with the screen facing outwards, Small stone must have hit it.

Cheers

C

I believe they all provide hard screen protection. Obviously if the screen is flipped up at the same time you drive your pda through a tree, it's byeee byeeee screen.

http://www.otterbox.com

Off to a good start.

Be brave and kick the thing into a lake and watch it float. Good for a laugh and excuse to get your feet wet.

As for the reset button, there is a palm application available that will reset your OS upon a crash. ie no need to open up when it's raining to reset. I am sure there's something similar for ipaq such as http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail....;associateid=17