Cache Rally

briansnat

I'm generally not into caching to accumulate numbers but I thought a "cache rally" might be fun.

Here is what I have in mind. We'll start off with a breakfast event at a central location. We then form into teams of geocachers (I was thinking 3 or 4 in a team - 4 might be better so couples can pair up if they like) and gather at a starting point. At the starting gun the teams fan out and the idea is to find as many caches as possible in 6 hours. Participants are free to go wherever and hunt whatever caches they like but they have to be back at the end of 6 hours.

Some possible rules (feel free to add or comment)

-for a find to count at least 1 member of the group has to have not previously found it

-10 points for each find and a bonus point for each difficulty/terrain star over 1 (half stars are rounded up)

-Each member of the team must sign the logbook (no stamping the outside of the container a la the infamous Geowoodstock record run)

-The teams must stay together and ride in the same vehicle. No splitting up allowed.

At the end of the day we gather at a central location (perhaps a local pub) to tally the results and award prizes.

I know people with a lot of finds might be at a disadvantage, so they probably should team up with someone with fewer finds.

Would anybody be interested in something like this?

Sounds like fun. Would we limit it to a certain county or area?

No limit. There would be a single start point and end point but people can go wherever they like, with the idea in mind that they have to be back by a certain time. So flying to Nashville probably won't work.

Edited by briansnat

It seems like someone with a lot of finds would have the advantage if they teamed up with someone with only a few. They could lead the new cacher right to the cache, plus they know where to go for the quick finds. I'd suggest giving more points for the higher terrain or difficult caches. That may even out the field.

How about a lottery type of drawing - run a PQ (or more) for all caches in a specific area then allow the team members draw say 50 waypoints for each team (total of 200 potential waypoints).

Have a disinterested person, say the event judge arbitrarily remove 100 waypoints that a specific team has chosen and throw them back into the bucket. This would leave the team with 100 potential caches to find for the 6-hour period. This could be completed a day or so before the rally to allow for planning or could be done at the start of the event.

Waypoints could be randomly listed to 10 per slip of paper.

Should the team find all 100 caches then the team could go after caches on their own with the rules in mind (only 1 team member finding the cache prior)

Three possible events could be made – planning event, the starting event and the final tally event.

For the past three years, The Unimoogers have been having a similar event. It's called an Annual Shotgun Start event.

They place NEW caches. Teams are formed and each team starts at a different starting point In each cache is an envolope for the individual teams Which contains the CoOrds to the next cache and also a piece of a puzzle Which sends them to the next cache, and so on. When all caches are completed then they return to where ever the event is held and the first team back with all the pieces to a puzzle wins!!!

I may have missed some finer details (I haven't attended one yet).

All the new caches are later approved and available for everyone to find.

Here are just some of the caches from the recent event;

GCYF4B

GCYF4C

GCYF4J

GCYF4H

GCYQDQ

GCYF4G

It sounds like a lot of fun!!!

I'm generally not into caching to accumulate numbers but I thought a "cache rally" might be fun.

Here is what I have in mind. We'll start off with a breakfast event at a central location. We then form into teams of geocachers (I was thinking 3 or 4 in a team - 4 might be better so couples can pair up if they like) and gather at a starting point. At the starting gun the teams fan out and the idea is to find as many caches as possible in 6 hours. Participants are free to go wherever and hunt whatever caches they like but they have to be back at the end of 6 hours.

Some possible rules (feel free to add or comment)

-for a find to count at least 1 member of the group has to have not previously found it

-10 points for each find and a bonus point for each difficulty/terrain star over 1 (half stars are rounded up)

-Each member of the team must sign the logbook (no stamping the outside of the container a la the infamous Geowoodstock record run)

-The teams must stay together and ride in the same vehicle. No splitting up allowed.

At the end of the day we gather at a central location (perhaps a local pub) to tally the results and award prizes.

I know people with a lot of finds might be at a disadvantage, so they probably should team up with someone with fewer finds.

Would anybody be interested in something like this?

I would like to officially extend an invitation to interested souls to have the cache rally breakfast event in Saranac Lake, NY...I would be glad to arrange/host the breakfast at a fun local eatery, and then people can take off in any direction to try their hands at some Adirondack area caches...this might be fun in that people who have worked through their areas caches can start fresh in a new and beautiful location.

Just a thought, and feel free to stay down South if you prefer...but do a search for 12945 first...we have some fun ones up here...

Jamie - NFA

Sounds like a lot of fun. Now all we need is a central location with close access to major roads. This will give people more options as to where to cache and less time on the road. We might even be able to get 2 events out of this.

When were you thinking of holding this?

Good point. So maybe the scoring could be the cumulative of the difficulty and terrain rating. i.e. a 2/2 cache would be worth 4 points and a 3/4 cache would be worth 7 points and so on.

y4tsearch.gif

Sounds like a lot of fun. Now all we need is a central location with close access to major roads. This will give people more options as to where to cache and less time on the road. We might even be able to get 2 events out of this.

Good point. So maybe the scoring could be the cumulative of the difficulty and terrain rating. i.e. a 2/2 cache would be worth 4 points and a 3/4 cache would be worth 7 points and so on.

y4tsearch.gif

That might work.

Throw in a few "bonus" caches that no one would know except a select few who would not be able to find theirs......5 event coordinators each have a card marked 5 point bonus. During the course of the day, they drop it off in a cache. The next team that finds that cache can collect the card for a 5 point bonus. Just an idea.

This sounds like a fun event.

Terri

y4tsearch.gif

That might work.

.. and extra points for Multis and Puzzle caches! :unsure:

Brain, I love this idea. I've been think about trying something like this for a while.

How about holding the final event somewhere near Woodbridge. The Turnpike, GSP, Rt 287 and several other major roads pass through. It's about equi-distance time wise from North, South and West Jersey.

Fords, NJ

Hmmm, I think there is a White Castle nearby :ph34r:

I like the quotient points system for terrain, difficulty, multis and puzzles --- of course the puzzle can be solved beforehand so that would only make it a traditional. :unsure:

Potential point system:

1 point for each terrain/diff star (rounded up so no half points)

If a multi, 1 additional point for each stage.

1 bonus point for every month over 3 that a cache has gone unfound (if multiple teams find the same cache they all get credit).

For puzzles I think the additional effort required is already reflected in the difficulty points.

I think a system like this would allow for differing strategies. Do we go for a bunch of park n grabs, or should we shoot for that 3/3 multi that hasn't been found in 9 months?

I think this is a cool idea.

What about throwing every cachers name in hat and drawing teams? It forces a true mix up.

Its better to let people team up. If you draw teams and get 4 people who have found a lot of the same caches it wouldn't be fair.

Where would the potential event may be located? and when? estimated date

No idea when yet. Maybe in the spring. Where. Northern and/or central NJ

Well it looks like there might be enough interest to give this a go. I think I'll set it up in the early spring so we don't have to worry about snow.

sign me up.

How about a really big bonus for caches that no team member has found or owns. (like 20 pts)

That would obviously make the scoing more difficult but, personally I would like to have a bunch of new cache finds during such an event as opposed to being driven to where the cache is and have it opened in front of me before I even know where to think about looking.

For people that have not teamed up you could do what TRL did at the last event cache.

Good luck--the event intriques me more then the points system.

Edited by weathernowcast

What do you all think about a Dawn to Dusk cache rally?

I've been considering dual events for June 21 (The 'longest' day of the year)

The first event would begin at Sunrise (5:24am) at a diner or 24hr joint for breakfast (Probably the Omega Diner in North Brunswick).

The second event would begin at Sunset (8:30pm) at a restaurant (probably Fuddruckers in New Brunswick).

The time between the two events would be used for caching or, for those that are employed, go to work. (June 21st is a Thursday)

I realize a Saturday would be better for most people, but come on, what's better then blowing off work for a day and caching for 14 hours! :shocked:

What'cha all think?