Decon Containers?

Join the Army and you can get all of them you want.... And get paid in the process, oh, and go to new and exciting place, see new and interesting people and etc. etc. Okay, maybe you can get them cheaper somewhere else... All mine I have from my active duty days...

Though I do appreciate everything you and everyone in the military does for us here in our country, I think I will probably look for a cheaper place, lol.

but once again thanks to you and everyone either active duty or veteran for everything you have done.

Cya on the trails,

Rusty

why go with decon containers at all...about half of the decons I've found have been completely waterlogged...you have to close them correctly, and most people don't...

American Science and Surplus has the nalgene-type 16 ounce jars for sale for $2.95 for a pack of 6 (50 cents each!!!)...

35800.jpg

I just bought a bunch for use in a 6th grade geocaching program I'm teaching over the next couple of weeks...they're awesome, easy to close, and make a great small sized cache container!

Jamie - NFA

why go with decon containers at all...about half of the decons I've found have been completely waterlogged...you have to close them correctly, and most people don't...

American Science and Surplus has the nalgene-type 16 ounce jars for sale for $2.95 for a pack of 6 (50 cents each!!!)...

35800.jpg

I just bought a bunch for use in a 6th grade geocaching program I'm teaching over the next couple of weeks...they're awesome, easy to close, and make a great small sized cache container!

Jamie - NFA

Funny I have never seen a waterlogged decon box, maybe us folks down South just know how to close them LoL

Anyway thanks for the advice I do have to say the containers you propose do look kinda interesting.

35800.jpg

Jamie - NFA

I'm not crazy about the Nalgene widemouth bottles because the narrow mouth makes it hard to get the log and trade items in and out. Most of the ones I've found the logbook was shredded from being yanked out of and stuffed into the bottle.

These Nalgene Straight Jars on the other hand make great containers. They come in several sizes and shapes and the price is right.

Edited by briansnat

One nice thing about my hubby being in the Army is that there is always going to be a good surplus store nearby :( He looked at work, but couldn't get any of their empty ammo cans, but our local surplus store has them for $4 or $7.50. A bit high compared to what some have said they can get them for, but not bad.

Ok, I have been looking for decon boxes to buy online, can anyone tell me where the cheapest place to get them is?

I suppose that "decon boxes" is a house hold name in the States, but I've never heard of it. I've always thought that a Decon was a person who helped out in a church. A decon box therefore must either be a small office or an unpleasant place to put a Decon. I must assume that you are refering to something other than a person as those boxes at the US Army Surplus stores look much too small for a person. So, if I were in the military and opened up a decon box, what would I find?

Another nice thing about decon kits is they come with a sturdy clip suitable for hanging on fences, vines, etc, and most are already a nice shade of olive drab.

Like Rusty, I have yet to see a damp decon kit, with one possible exception; A bonus cache I hunted was a decon kit attached to a brick, and submerged under water in a culvert, under a roadway. It had been submerged for several months prior to my finding it. There was about a half inch of water in the container. Whilst that proves they are not waterproof, they are certainly very water resistant, if closed properly.

Jamie, maybe you need to teach them folks up yonder how to close a plastic box? :(:laughing:

decon - short for decontamination kit - the box that houses the kit is a pretty good small geocache container. I've never seen the kit, only the empty container. I don't know what they were designed to hold, or what contaminants they combat.

One of the Surplus stores near me was selling decon kits, and they were still full. They had prepackaged wipes, and chemicals packed in single-use packets, like take-out ketchup packs.

You have to be sure that there is a rubber gasket in the lid of the decon container. Many of them do not have the gasket and get waterlogged quickly.

Over the years, I've purchased over 50 decon boxes from a variety of sources and never encountered one with the rubber gasket intact.

I do find that there is some variations in the quality of the seal. Some boxes have a very tight seal and keep water out. With others you can actually jiggle the lid.

Between boxes with poor seals and problems with people closing them properly (they often get the lid's strap caught between the lid and box), I've stopped using these for caches. They have been a maintenance nightmare for me and I got tired of replacing wet logbooks and contents. I'll only use decon boxes for middle stages of multis now and I make sure the coordinates are laminated and double bagged.

Edited by briansnat

Ok, I have been looking for decon boxes to buy online, can anyone tell me where the cheapest place to get them is?

I suppose that "decon boxes" is a house hold name in the States, but I've never heard of it. I've always thought that a Decon was a person who helped out in a church. A decon box therefore must either be a small office or an unpleasant place to put a Decon. I must assume that you are refering to something other than a person as those boxes at the US Army Surplus stores look much too small for a person. So, if I were in the military and opened up a decon box, what would I find?

I always thought the person helping out in the church was a Deacon..with an 'A.'

The decon boxes used around here are about 3" thick x 4" wide x 9" long and have 4 latches that keep it closed (they are waterproof). I think what some on here are calling decon kits are the plastic boxes that you place the decon wipes in and they snap closed and are carried on the back of the NBC mask carriers.