5 gallon containers

TomandGina

I'm getting ready to place my a cache. I have a bunch of large plastic buckets with sealing lids. I am picturing burying the bucket in the ground about 6 inches, and then covering the lid with sticks or other natural cover. This would hold the container in place.

However, I read the following in the guidelines:

Cache sizes for all caches that have a physical container.
  • Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller, typically containing only a logbook)
  • Small (Decon container, sandwich-sized Tupperware-style container or similar, holds trade items as well as a logbook)
  • Regular (Tupperware-style container or ammo can)
  • Large (5 gallon bucket or larger)

Just above that, the guidelines list the following under reasons for a cache to be archived:

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Why would a cache be denied if it was buried? I can understand not wanting to have to dig it up to find it, but once it's in place, all you would have to do it pull off the lid.

If you can't bury the 5 gallon bucket, how else have people hid them?

Cover it with a pile of sticks, behind a BIG downed tree, or in a pile of rocks. You could also possibly use a natural depression and then cover it with sticks or rocks. Plus, if you hide it far enough out in the boonies, there is little chance that people will find it accidentally, even if it is as large as (or larger) than the 5 gallon bucket.

I think the concern is that if people are using something sharp to disturb the ground to bury it, even partially, that sends a poor impression to the land managers. That is an impression we don't want to get started with!

If you can't bury the 5 gallon bucket, how else have people hid them?

I can't say. After 500 plus finds, I've yet to encounter one in a 5 gallon bucket. They are rarely used precisely because they are so hard to hide.

So if I find an existing hole, drop a bucket in it and push debris around it to anchor it and hide it, would that be ok? Is the sticking point using a shovel to make a new hole?

The sticking point is digging, either to hide or find the cache. Land managers do not want us digging up the parks. Whenever we talk to land managers about allowing geocaching in parks, the idea that caches are buried is usually the first myth we have to dispell.

T&G, there's one like that near me, where the hider found a natural depression, placed the cache, (in this case a foot locker), then adjusted the ground clutter till the container was hidden, and the ground was level. To avoid a rash of SBA's, he included a paragraph on the cache page noting that no digging was done to hide this cache. It was approved when it was hidden, but since the guidelines specify that no cache can set a presedence, it might not fly today. As I understand it, the concerns are not that your cache might damage the environment, per se, but that the next person to find it might copy your idea. Land managers for the most part are absolutely against folks digging around on their properties, either for hiding or for seaking, so Groundspeak takes a firm stand against buried caches to protect the game for future players.

Off topic: Are you dead set on using a 5 gallon bucket? The reason I ask, is that every single 5 gallon bucket cache I've found has had moisture issues. Some were just damp inside, whilst others were soaked. (of course, my finds were in Florida, where humidity skyrockets on a regular basis) For $15 or $20 you can buy an extra large ammo can with around 5 gallons capacity, which would hold up to the elements much better than a bucket, and would have a stronger seal.

Either way, thanx for the hide!

Sean

I have used a five gallon bucket, a rectangular one, as a cache container "It's a Biggie". It was flame burnished and painted in a sort of brownish camo than hidden in the middle of a small thick grove of trees in a willow bed. The bucket was filled with 35mm film containers, a dozen had swag and one held the log. Instructions told the finder this on the inside of the cover. Some finders had to open hundreds to get to the log. There is a way to hide the log so you can retrive it easily. I have another ready to go in an old unused bear den which of course is well hidden. Also found one hidden in a clump of small evergreen trees inside a camo painted wooden box. Another I found was in a small natural but well hidden cave. I once painted one dark green, pulled it up 30 feet in a tree in the woods with heavy duty dark nylon line tied to a low branch as a private cache. Took some work to toss a nut tied to mono filiament over a sturdy top branch to pull up the nylon cord but I guess one could use a long aluminum extension ladder. Suprising how little most people look up that far when in the woods.

T&G, there's one like that near me, where the hider found a natural depression, placed the cache, (in this case a foot locker), then adjusted the ground clutter till the container was hidden, and the ground was level. To avoid a rash of SBA's, he included a paragraph on the cache page noting that no digging was done to hide this cache. It was approved when it was hidden, but since the guidelines specify that no cache can set a presedence, it might not fly today. As I understand it, the concerns are not that your cache might damage the environment, per se, but that the next person to find it might copy your idea. Land managers for the most part are absolutely against folks digging around on their properties, either for hiding or for seaking, so Groundspeak takes a firm stand against buried caches to protect the game for future players.

Off topic: Are you dead set on using a 5 gallon bucket? The reason I ask, is that every single 5 gallon bucket cache I've found has had moisture issues. Some were just damp inside, whilst others were soaked. (of course, my finds were in Florida, where humidity skyrockets on a regular basis) For $15 or $20 you can buy an extra large ammo can with around 5 gallons capacity, which would hold up to the elements much better than a bucket, and would have a stronger seal.

Either way, thanx for the hide!

Sean

Those are valid points. I definately don't want to ruin the game for others.

I happen to have about 20 of these containers stacked in my garage, and figured they would be great hides. I didn't think it would be so difficult to actually hide one! :)

I guess I need to be more creative in choosing a site that doesn't require me to dig (which would make it easier to hide in the first place!) Or, I could give in and steal a smaller container from my kitchen...

Maybe a spot in a pile of rocks or something.... I do like the "hanging in the trees", but that may be a little hard to camoflauge when all the leaves are gone up here!

I think the alternatives are:

-Very deep in the woods where nobody would venture without a good reason (but you will be surprised where people do venture. I've seen human footprints in the middle of nowhere)

-A very good camo job. Try glueing bark to the container to make it look like a stump. Or as The Leprechauns suggested, in a pine tree. You can camo that by getting some pine boughs and spray painting a pine needle camo pattern on the container. You will need a special spraypaint for plastics though.

I've found a number of 5 gallon bucket hides. The best hide was suspended ........waaaaaay up in a huge oak with the rope going over 100 feet away to another another huge oak wayy up before coming to ground. The cache placer did everything right, including using heavy straps over the limbs and pulleys, and a dark braided nylon rope. He had tree climbing gear. A relatively expensive set up with the amount of rope, two pulleys, the heavy straps. Only the 5 gallon bucket was free.

But most of the 5 gallon bucket hides I've found were just sitting there. Totally exposed. One of them is the oldest cache in its county in a suburban park - just a few feet off the trail. Though this is Florida, and we have lots of shrubs that don't lose their leaves (saw palmetto). Tucked under a low limb on a pine works especially if you paint it dark.

There is a dead tree in my parents woods that lost sheets of bark. I took a whole big pile of them.

I plan on using wood hardener on the bark to make it permanant and durable, then gorilla glue and fence wire to keep it on the container. then put a log ring on the top to complete the camo. perfect stump.

I'm too lazy to put it all together though.

I am imagining the SWAG that can be put in a 5 gallon bucket............................................................................

***Homer Simpson voice***

"Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....SWAAAAAAAGGGGGG!"

B)

One of the caches I found was a 5 gal. bucket that was sitting in the middle of a weed infested vacant lot in a suburban neighborhood. The weeds were more than 2 feet taller than the bucket. Weeds around here grow year round. If a muggle ever finds that bucket the HAZMAT team will be called since the bucket originally contained hazardous chemicals. But it had been there for over a year before I found it.

a bucket we found was cammo'd as an abandoned burn barrel by a local team who has about 25 brilliant hides. Another we found was strapped under a foot bridge, cammo'd as a rodent den. Neither of these were wet inside, but both look pretty empty with just normal swag junk. My teammate has been eyeing this big stump - trying to figure out how to get the top to flip up, and the center hollow.... maybe not big enough for a bucket.

G&G

My teammate has been eyeing this big stump - trying to figure out how to get the top to flip up, and the center hollow.

If it's big enough, strip off and save the bark, then lop off the top inch or so with a chainsaw. This will become your lid. Use the same chainsaw to rip out the guts of the stump, till your bucket fits, or make a smaller hole for an ammo can. Drill holes in the stump and lid and insert dowel pins. Alignment will be important once you apply camo, so glue one pin to the lid, and the other to the stump. That way your lid will only fit one way. Depending on the bark, you could use Gorrilla Glue or staples to reattach it to the stump and lid. Be sure it hangs over the gap created by the chainsaw to disguise it, and you should create a decent size drain hole somewhere in the stump. Good luck!

For those folks wanting a realistic looking stump, contact anyone in the tree removal business.

Found a cache one time that was a bucket turned upside down. It was camoed with "great stuff" foam insulation to mock bark, painted and even had a piece of sawn wood on top, looked exactly like a stump! It was used to hide the container but was still neat. Or if you found some old trash scattered in the woods, someplace you'd think no one would clean up, that might work too.

Great ideas here! The largest container I've found is a 55-gal drum!! Well hidden in some thick growth. It too suffered moisture problems, though. Poor teddy bears!!

Finding that right spot is part of the fun, and combined with camo, it could be a great hide. Might consider keeping the log and swag in a large Lock & Lock inside the bucket, though.

Or if you found some old trash scattered in the woods, someplace you'd think no one would clean up, that might work too.
But then who wants to send people caching in a pile of trash in the woods? Or did I miss the sarcasm in your post?

Nah...no sarcasm, but the reason I mentioned the trash was I found a cool cache that was a car battery case(new of course). It was used as a cover for the container. This being placed off the road with other trash. Now I know "cache in trash out" which I practice, but this stuff was like old tires some big pieces of metal..stuff you couldn't just carry out, you'd have to get a backhoe and a dumptruck.