Everyone Wants A Moun10bike V1 Geocoin ...

nicolo

So that's the question. Is anyone willing to trade a v1 Moun10Bike geocoin and, if so, what would it take to get one. Or even, what do you THINK it would take?

We continually see people asking for one so I just thought "Is anyone even willing to trade one?"

Edited by nicolo

Does anyone in the world have two? Anyone that has one is likely a pretty serious geocacher -- so there is a very low chance that they would part with it. If anyone has an extra, I would venture that the going rate is probably at over 100 coins and/or $800-$1500.

Personally, I would *like* a Moun10Bike V1 coin, but at this point actually don't really want one unless it comes from Moun10Bike himself (like my V2 and V3). Somehow it just wouldn't have as much meaning to me personally if I had to buy it or trade crazy for it. He's out -- so that's just not going to happen.

When I first started collecting coins (Aug 2005), I wanted to trade for one. Now? It's just too crazy. The *cost* would defeat the purpose.

I found a ver 2 and passed it on since it already had a travel history. I had a ver 3 that I traded from Moun10bike and I gifted it to a good friend (he has a HUGE geocoin collection, but didn't have a Moun10bike).

I've never seen a ver 1, but if I did come into possesion of one, I'd probably pass it on as well (after showing it off for a few months). It isn't that I don't appreciate geocoins, especially the cool coins. My collection is spread out over the world...and in my profile.

I was not to in to collecting coins at that time. I would really like a v3 and a wooden nickle. MAYBE someday

Tim

I love his v3 coin. That's the coin that gave me the idea of using a photo inlay on my personal coin.

I guess they are just as hard to get as his v1 and v2. Heck, I would be happy to get hold of one of his wooden nickels or his pins....lol.

I've had 2 v3's which I've promptly traded for more geocoins. Really what's the point of getting a v1,2,or3 if you can't technically own them. That fact alone should discourage most collectors from trying to get one. Just my .02

I'd really like to get my hands on one for the same reason... <_<

To see what I could get for one. I don't see the point in trading for an activated coin.... They already "belong" to someone.

To say that my Moun10bike coin validate my existence on this planet would be an exaggeration for sure. BUT they do mean a lot to me just knowing they come from a geocacher who epitomizes the hobby and has the same values I look up to in a geocacher. The coins also are a reminder of how I came to recieve each one. I have never met Moun10bike but hope to some day but consider him a close friend. The plan is for my survivors to return the Moun10bike coins to him when I am no longer geocaching on this planet. But that is just me.

Team sidewinder

I like the fact that the coins are all activated by Moun10Bike. In my case, I traded with him for the v2 and v3 that I have with me. It's cool to have traded with one of the "founders" of this hobby. For myself, there are a few cachers that I really like to have personal coins from. For example, my Nicolo coin (OP here) is every bit as valuable as any of my Moun10Bike coins. (no... I am not trading away either)

To the original post: I think that in a pool of 100 coins, there is probably about a 1-3 percent movement of coins per year at this point (I think most have found "homes" in perminent collections). In a given year, I think 1 coin will enter the market -- and I suspect it will no longer be in a trade. At this point, it will enter the market when someone decides to liquidate their collection and does so either silently amongst fellow collectors and/or through an auction site (less likely). So either a private cash sale, or some other arrangement.

The truth is that there is really probably about 20-50 people that are willing to spend BIG to get a Moun10Bike coin. There are hundreds that want one. The demand is so high at this point, that the chances of one going for less than $700-$1500 are pretty unlikely. The chances of getting one in a trade are even more remote. Any "collector" would not be likely to give up the crown jewel for a bunch of coins -- even dozens. So it has to be someone that is stopping collecting and/or someone that has one and has never been or become a collector. (early cachers in the region of Moun10Bike)

The only chance I see of getting one in trade would be if someone had one, wanted to get the cash, didn't want to be seen as selling it on the auction site. They might trade for 100 coins or so and then sell those at $15-$30 to get the value they wanted for the v1.

Not to highjack a thread, but I would ask the quesition:

1) how many coins would you trade for a v1?

2) how much would you pay for a v1?

Personally, I guess I would trade most of my trader coins (40-60) and pay up to about $750. I don't think I would stand a chance.

If actiavted coins are useless, do people that have them ever return the coins to moun10bike?

I didn't say they were "useless" i would like to get my hands on one and trade it for a grundle of other coins. I just said I don't collect coins activated by someone else, as they are already "owned".

We have one activated coin in our collection and it belongs to someone we have utmost repect for and consider a good friend. <_<

In my new coin buying guide, I have put the price for a v1 between $750 and $1500. v2's are $500- $750 and v3's are $250- $350. These prices are based upon ebay and private sales figures. Some of these coins have fetched higher prices for a charity sale but should stay in the ranges that I have listed. I have traded a Wandering Dragon for a v3 and have traded a Capt. Prozac for a v3, an 8muddyfeet, and a Facedances. If you have older HTF personal coins, you can trade them for a v2 or a v3- maybe a v1 depending on the collector. Look for the FREE coin buying guide in the coming months.

If actiavted coins are useless, do people that have them ever return the coins to moun10bike?

I didn't say they were "useless" i would like to get my hands on one and trade it for a grundle of other coins. I just said I don't collect coins activated by someone else, as they are already "owned".

We have one activated coin in our collection and it belongs to someone we have utmost repect for and consider a good friend. :(

I know, I said useless, you said you wanted one to sell. <_<

My question is if there are people that wouldn't want one (for whatever reason), why don't they just give them back to moun10bike? or maybe just chuck it into a cache? To me it just seems odd (and perhaps amusing) that those that wouldn't want one, wouldn't want one enough that they'd be being willing to sell or trade it off, after they have it of course :D

To me it just seems odd (and perhaps amusing) that those that wouldn't want one, wouldn't want one enough that they'd be being willing to sell or trade it off, after they have it of course :D

Perhaps they're holding onto it more for the rarity than the coin itself. I have a First Finders Dance that I got in one of my first trades, and to be honest, I don't think it's that nice of a coin. I originally figured I'd keep it since it was the first GCC coin, and somewhat hard to come by. Now I figure I'll keep it because it's so sought after, practically impossible to get, and (despite how many should be out there) it seems like not a lot of people have it unless they've been collecting for quite a while. So I'm keeping it more for the fact I probably couldn't get another if I wanted to some day, and "I'm the only kid on my block with one". <_<

Back to the original question. If I had a Moun10bike coin would I trade it? Probably not. But anyone want to give me one so I can find out for sure? :(

We have one activated coin in our collection and it belongs to someone we have utmost repect for and consider a good friend. :(

I know, I said useless, you said you wanted one to sell. :D

My question is if there are people that wouldn't want one (for whatever reason), why don't they just give them back to moun10bike? or maybe just chuck it into a cache? To me it just seems odd (and perhaps amusing) that those that wouldn't want one, wouldn't want one enough that they'd be being willing to sell or trade it off, after they have it of course :D

Did most vertainly NOT say to sell. I said to TRADE Big difference. <_<

I would not sell a personal coin without express permission from the owner. Also, said I DON'T want activated coins. You have your opinion and I have mine. We can agree to disagree, I hope :D

Edited by GBOTS

Personally, I guess I would trade most of my trader coins (40-60) and pay up to about $750. I don't think I would stand a chance.

I would pay $1500 for the v1 coin, mainly because that's probably the only chance I'd have of getting one. Since that's unlikely to happen, I've decided to not think about it much. It's probably better anyway because spending that kind of money on a token like that is really excessive consumerism. But if someone did want some fast cash, they could try me.

1. Not sure, haven't had a chance to figure it out. :rolleyes:

2. I would not pay ANY amout of money. The coin pages say they are not to be sold, so I wouldn't buy one. The exception of course would be one that Moun10bike donated to be sold to raise money for a worthy cause.

We have one activated coin in our collection and it belongs to someone we have utmost repect for and consider a good friend. :rolleyes:

The way I see it, Moun10Bike owns the tracking for my V1 coin. I own the coin. And the coin is what it is all about right? :)

I am going to visit the cache where I earned my coin again this weekend (since the "trail" has just been re-opened).

Edited by pdxmarathonman

I don't think I made myself clear on this. If I found a mountenbiker coin in a cache, rather than keep it, I would move it to another cache.

But, if I got one in trade, I would prolly trade it for as many coins as I could get for it. Since it is already activated, I wouldn't want it in my collection.

That's just my opinion, you don't have to agree :)

Same goes for any other activated coin. :rolleyes:

If activated coins are useless, do people that have them ever return the coins to moun10bike?

We have one activated coin in our collection and it belongs to someone we have utmost respect for and consider a good friend. :rolleyes:

The way I see it, Moun10Bike owns the tracking for my V1 coin. I own the coin. And the coin is what it is all about right? :anibad: I am going to visit the cache where I earned my coin again this weekend (since the "trail" has just been re-opened).

The same reasoning could be used for all the other travelers that are taken out of circulation.... :)

I'd like to get one, but it's just a geocoin, not a cure for cancer or a solution for global peace, so I'm unwilling to trade much for it that I wouldn't trade for any other geocoin.

This probably means I'll never have one, but my world will be no less complete.

1. Not sure, haven't had a chance to figure it out. :)

2. I would not pay ANY amout of money. The coin pages say they are not to be sold, so I wouldn't buy one. The exception of course would be one that Moun10bike donated to be sold to raise money for a worthy cause.

Yipes! You're right. I can't buy one now. Above all else, I think it is important to respect the wishes of the person the created/placed/traded the coin. So, as the cache page states that the coin cannot be sold, I cannot buy.

Which actually makes trading one suspect (after all, if I am willing to trade 1500 $1 coins -- isn't that the same as buying?)

I stick by my original theory -- the chances of evern having the opportunity to be faced with a trade decision is not likely to happen. Not just on this coin, but on several dozen others. They cannot be found for love or money.