Gps If "money Were No Object"

Greetings,

I did my first geocaching with some family this last week and LOVED it! I've been looking at getting into it for awhile, but now am ready to purchase.

I want to buy a unit that interfaces well with my PC and is easy to use. I also want a unit that is powerful enough that I won't feel like I want to upgrade once I really start using it.

If money were no object (yeah, right!) what unit would you experienced geocachers recommend and what accessories would you recommend.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Alan

Greetings,

I did my first geocaching with some family this last week and LOVED it! I've been looking at getting into it for awhile, but now am ready to purchase.

I want to buy a unit that interfaces well with my PC and is easy to use. I also want a unit that is powerful enough that I won't feel like I want to upgrade once I really start using it.

If money were no object (yeah, right!) what unit would you experienced geocachers recommend and what accessories would you recommend.

Alan

Garmin 60CSX with City Navigator V8!

Garmin Quest or Quest 2. Works great as a handheld for geocaching, especially with an external antenna attached. Much better for in car navigation due to the voice prompts. Even though it has been out a while and lacks some of the newest features, it is the only unit with voice navigation that can be used as hand-held for caching and hiking.

Greetings,

Alan

60/76CSx, with auto mount, City Navigator 8, Topo, Cigarette power adapter.

Trimble, with the Trimble external antenna! Expect to pay $6K+.

What fun is geocaching if you can tell your position with centimeter accuracy? :rolleyes:

You get to be very righteous when your log says that the hider's coordinates are off. What's more fun than that?

Besides, you really need a GPS/Inertial system to get into underground caching. It'll be the next big thing. :laughing:

Ditto the above re: 60 or 76 C(S)x - go with whichever one feels most comfortable in your hand. (Or since you're a family, whichever one is most comfortable for everyone in your crew.) Ditto City Nav v8, along with US Topo if you like caching in the woods. Ditto car mount & 12V/cigarette adapter.

Additional accessories:

If you bike, add in the bicycle mount for the GPSr. Mtn bike + GPSr recording a track log + US Topo == cool

If you pop over to Canada for caching/hiking/biking/camping/etc, maybe add in Topo Canada.

If you boat, perhaps add in BlueChart maps.

A 1GB microSD card, so you can store all these different maps. :rolleyes: Definitely something to buy from an online computer store - Garmin's price for this is insane, and dept stores like Circuit City aren't much better. NewEgg is a place I've ordered a lot of computer gear from and always been happy with, and other people have found even better deals by shopping around.

A set of decent rechargeable batteries (2500mAh or higher) with a charger. If you're absent-minded, possibly go for a 15-minute rapid-charger with a car adapter. :laughing: If you use lots of battery-powered devices (GPSr, flashlights, headlamps, bike lamps, 2-way radios, and an electronic partridge in a pear tree), Thomas Distributing carries the 8-cell MAHA MH-C801D charger - it's pricey, but works wonderfully.

If money where no object - as above (well, for the EU topos in my case) and the choice would still be the 60CSx for me. The 2500mah will do a good few days flat out.

In addition, I'd hire a programmer / hacker who could re-do the firmware. I'd get him to:

- drop the: Hunting/Fishing stuff,

- get her to put in a input for warning time to next tern (it is kind of dependant in which vehicle you ride/drive and how quickly)

- get her to fix the download route directions problem

- but most of all, I'd get a 'Profiles" function put in... so I could swap quickly between contexts which require different routing options, which pages are available etc.

That is, of course, of no help. Sorry.

Is there and aviation version of the 60x series? Used to be the 176 had the fasted processor and had all the functions of the gpsV PLUS aircraft related stuff. That was a few years ago...I wonder if there's an 60 series air version for us X flyers.

Either the garmin 60CSx or the 76CSx, I have the garmin 60cs and love it, only wish I had the card slot.

Everyone says "CSx" but you can also save a few buck and get the "Cx". The S has add 2 features but many don't ever use them. I'm usually the kind of guy who wants the top but after some reading here and thinking about it, I guessed I will never use those features. I'm saying this so you now have a different opinion. :-)

What about the legend cx or vista cx? Is the 60 csx antenna really that much better for geocaching??

For GC any device will do the job. Legend is another popular but following the topic suggestion I guess everyone recommend the 60 series as a favorite.

If I were buying today I'd get a Garmin 60Cx or a 76Cx. From my own experience I don't need the Sensors (Altimeter and Electronic Compas) on the CSx versions.

Back when I bought I got a Garmin GPS V which was the top of the line. I have no regrets and still use it. The only reason I haven't upgraded to one of the ones I mentioned is that I'm hoping for the GPS VI one of these days.

Garmin Quest or Quest 2. Works great as a handheld for geocaching, especially with an external antenna attached. Much better for in car navigation due to the voice prompts. Even though it has been out a while and lacks some of the newest features, it is the only unit with voice navigation that can be used as hand-held for caching and hiking.

hmm... geocaching with voice prompt..

' hey dummy, the cache is over there'

' no, I said over **there**!'

' what are you, blind?!! I said OVER THERE'

' that's it ... I'm taking a rest' [whereby the gps poweres off]

so maybe I'm better off with one w/ no voice ! :laughing:

hmm... geocaching with voice prompt..

' hey dummy, the cache is over there'

' no, I said over **there**!'

' what are you, blind?!! I said OVER THERE'

' that's it ... I'm taking a rest' [whereby the gps poweres off]

so maybe I'm better off with one w/ no voice ! :unsure:

haha, that was a good one. :-)

Is there and aviation version of the 60x series? Used to be the 176 had the fasted processor and had all the functions of the gpsV PLUS aircraft related stuff. That was a few years ago...I wonder if there's an 60 series air version for us X flyers.

I guess the closest would be the GPSMAP 96 or GPSMAP 96C. Either way, no SiRF III chip. Then again, if you are in there air, do you really NEED that chip? Not many buildings or trees interfering with the signal up there.

If money IS an object: go with the 60Cx. The SiRF chipset, the fact that is is built for geocaching, drop-ability, readabilty of the screen. After having bought 4 other GPSrs, it would have been a lot cheaper to straight to this point.

If money IS NO object: go with the 60CSx and load it with routable street maps and topo maps, get the automotive kit, especially the protable dash mount.

I believe the 60csx is a better choice than the 60cs as the x also means you get the SirfStar III chipset built in. The SirfStar III is the best receiver for picking up satellite signals beneath the foliage and between tall bldgs when you're driving in the city or on roads near mountains.

Don't forget a Pocket PC for paperless caching. A PPC loaded with gpxsonar will keep all your web cache pages with you on the road and in the woods so you don't have to take printouts. You can also load 1:24,000 scale topo maps from National Geographic Topo for real time topo viewing and location in the woods. (The hand helds like the 60csx only provide 1:100,000 scale except for special national parks)

A PPC loaded with Mapopolis auto navigation program is a better alternative to a hand held GPS IMO as the former's autonavigation is with voice prompts as well as visual prompts , not just beeps and visual as with the 60csx or 76csx. If you get a better PPC like from Dell or HP, you get a much larger color screen than the hand held GPS's, which is also easier to see while driving. You can overlay all the caches on the street maps using gpxtomaplet program. You can get a cable to hook the 60csx to the PPC or buy a separate GPS, a better choice, that slips into the PPC. Get one with a Sirf Star III chipset for the PPC too. They come in models that slip into either the SD or CF slot. Also the PPC has no limits as to the number of caches you can overlay on the road maps. Most hand held GPS allow 1000. That might sound like a lot, but if you live in a crowded area, 1000 caches mioght only take you to a radius of 30-35 miles from your home. I have my PPC loaded with over 4000 taking me out to around 100 miles. So as I'm driving around with my PPC, I can see and auto route to the caches on my PPC street maps.

I'd start with the hand held as you'll want that for the woods. Lots to learn with that first. Than add the PPC. Or if you're really nuts and tech oriented, buy both right away and have a field day! :unsure:

Edited by Alan2
Greetings,

Alan

Garmin 60CSX with City Navigator V8!

Definitely the correct route to go, IMNSHO!